Top Shelf Aquatics

Waving Hand coral (Anthelia) good for pico reefs?

Horsey_Cat

In my pico I currently have

• Xenia (pom pom, Silver tip, and Heteroxenia polyp)
  • Torch (small)

The rock that has the xenia on it looks nice, especially once is grows out more. I have another rock right next to it and its just completely bare and I want to put something on it.

Ive been thinking of palys, mushrooms, GSP 

My problem with buying those are I don't have any great LFS's and I don't want to spend $40 for shipping. I can get some things I mentioned from liveaquaria (which will be shipped for free), but all their Polyp and mushroom corals already come on rocks and I don't have room to add much rock. I was considering getting some blue waving hand coral (anthelia) then I can just let it take over the other rock that the xenia is not on. That just doesn't seem very diverse and colorful though

Can I get any recommendations/ help

22 minutes ago, Horsey_Cat said:

then I can just let it take over the other rock that the xenia is not on. That just doesn't seem very diverse and colorful though

Can I get any recommendations/ help

Xenia will no doubt spread to that other rock :)  Better get something on there fairly quick!

2 minutes ago, Horsey_Cat said:

Yeah, Id like to

Just trying to figure out what

GSP and palys are both good options.  Luckily, both of those also grow like weeds (palys a little less so).  Mushrooms will also reproduce extremely quickly but it's not always easy keeping them put like GSP/Palys.

9 hours ago, DevFishe said:

If you get those corals from live aquaria, removing it from the rock should be easy enough. Of course use gloves and goggles if you get palys.

Just cut them off and glue them where I want? That works for palys too?

@Horsey_Cat  Yep, I use a knife and gently pry their "foot" (idk what else to call it) off the rock. Or you can use a hammer and break the rock up into little pieces with coral on it (just make sure not to hit the coral). It's very hard to glue individual polyps down but if you can get them to stay put for a couple days they'll attach themselves. Usually I glue them down and turn off the flow. In my experience a day without flow doesn't hurt anything... but that's just me.