SaltCritters.com

What do you do for RO/DI when you're a renter?

Friendly

1 hour ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

As for storage problems to make space in your apartment, use very strong sort of large tote bins with lids. Full them up enough so you can lift them. Stack them up on top of each other. You know the plastic ones. They come in all colors so can look nice. I have boat loads of them and they will make huge amount of space. Also nothing used in lets say 3-5 yrs. Get rid of it. Clothes, paper work, old boxes of things, shoes, etc. I'm a hoarder so I have to be careful, I hate to throw anything out, so that's where the bins come in. If you don't use it, loose it.......B)

I personally don't want totes all over my home. I like my home tidy and extremely organized. 

My closets are filled with storage bins and items that aren't garbage. I declutter every 6 months.

My kitchen cupboards are filled with kitchen items. 

All paperwork should be kept minimum 7yrs. 

If ppl don't have the room or the ability to add items, then that's just how it is.

Not having an ro/di system isn't the end of the world.

Actually if your city uses chloramines, the common Ro/di carbon filter will not remove chloramines and it's safer to use distilled.

• Like 1

I live in a 600 square foot, 1-bedroom apartment and have a Bulk Reef Supply 4-stage RODI unit. I have it hooked up to my cold water supply under my kitchen sink, which is as easy as unscrewing and attaching one fitting. The fitting can be easily removed and the plumbing returned to normal when I move out. The unit itself and a 5-gallon Home Depot bucket with a float valve that I use as my RODI collection container are both stored in the cabinet under my kitchen sink. This is way more cost and space effective for me than buying and storing multiple jugs of water.

• Like 6

You guys have too much stuff. I can't live like that. My closets are kind of empty and besides my RODI unit under my sink, I have some dish soap :P I don't have kids though so I'm sure that helps tons. I can totally imaging keeping all their arts and crafts and toys and oof..

If ya worry about Chloramine, you can toss this in the unit: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fx-chloraguard-chlorine-chloramine-carbon-block-filtrex.html

• Like 2
cfaye@Delaware
1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

Paper work 3-5 years? Hope you never get audited. 

I just buy distilled. Though I drive about .3 mile to the cvs so I'm not toting it. I live in an 850 foot squared apt. A lot of people here live in flyover country where you can get a giant apartment with washer dryer for next to nothing. I know about the space limitations, rodi unit or food storage? Yeah I'll take the food. I don't know what to tell you would be easier using public trans though. I can tote 3 milk gallon jugs per hand but you got too many tanks for that to work out very well. 

As far as I can tell, USA IRS goes back as far as 5yrs.....but I do keep all IRS papers in the bin.......:bling:  Nope don't throw them buddies out.

I saw something else about keeping tanks on a wire shelf. Be careful, from what I can understand a tank can weigh as much as 8-10 lbs. per gallon. Make sure whatever you put them on can hold it. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You guys have too much stuff. I can't live like that. My closets are kind of empty and besides my RODI unit under my sink, I have some dish soap :P I don't have kids though so I'm sure that helps tons. I can totally imaging keeping all their arts and crafts and toys and oof..

If ya worry about Chloramine, you can toss this in the unit: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fx-chloraguard-chlorine-chloramine-carbon-block-filtrex.html

No kids. Not a pack rat. 

I play piano, read, do art, crafts, own tools. I have 2 bedroom closets and a hallway closet. That's my storage. 

• Like 1

My hobby besides fish is my dog and he has his own closet lol, its a small closet but ya... I mostly hike and camp too but even that stuff I have minimal since I like to backpack in and can't carry much. I could totally see crafts and art taking up a lot of stuff. I am just glad you didn't tell me you had a collection of clown statues in your closet :P:lol:

I think my fish crap totally takes up the most space in my house. FIsh medicine cabnit, like 3 different po4 removers, spare pumps incase one dies, spare light incase one dies... battery backups... testing equiptment... dosing additives... billion types of food....netting... breeder boxes... filter floss... two sizes of QT tanks...a huge stack of coral magazines I keep cuz they so darn pretty...

The animals are taking over...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
28 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

My hobby besides fish is my dog and he has his own closet lol, its a small closet but ya... I mostly hike and camp too but even that stuff I have minimal since I like to backpack in and can't carry much. I could totally see crafts and art taking up a lot of stuff. I am just glad you didn't tell me you had a collection of clown statues in your closet :P:lol:

I think my fish crap totally takes up the most space in my house. FIsh medicine cabnit, like 3 different po4 removers, spare pumps incase one dies, spare light incase one dies... battery backups... testing equiptment... dosing additives... billion types of food....netting... breeder boxes... filter floss... two sizes of QT tanks...a huge stack of coral magazines I keep cuz they so darn pretty...

The animals are taking over...

Definitely no clowns in my home.lol.

Half of my hallway closet is dedicated to my aquarium supplies. I have a shelving unit in there plus one of those plastic drawers on wheels...i'd love the whole closet for my supplies. 

I plan on a ro/di but it won't be plumbed, no water connectors under sink- faucet adapter only.

• Like 1

Do you not have a Washer Dryer Hookup?

In my rental I put a Y Splitter on the output for the Washing machine. I mounted my RODI filter on the wall, and put float valves on a couple buckets. This way when filling it stops when needed but I set the bucket on both washer and dryer so where the hose is connected to the bucket hangs over the washer in which i leave the lid up in case of any leaks or other issues no mess to clean up.

As for RO being bad for humans, Bottled water, Drinking fountains, Refrigerator water dispensers are all RO filters. Its RODI that has been said to not be healthy for humans but I haven't found enough evidence solidifying that claim but I think it refers to the Deionization Resin being the issue.

As for an RODI filter it is absolutely worth the investment, you can buy one cheap from craigslist or a local reef club/forum used and purchase your refill media from BRS (get the refillable canister for the DI Resin) otherwise if you want new just the basic 75GPD is only $135 here and for the fully loaded (w/TDS meter, Auto Shut off, Pressure Gauge, Flush Valve, and 150GPD) only $220 here

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Exodus said:

Do you not have a Washer Dryer Hookup?

In my rental I put a Y Splitter on the output for the Washing machine. I mounted my RODI filter on the wall, and put float valves on a couple buckets. This way when filling it stops when needed but I set the bucket on both washer and dryer so where the hose is connected to the bucket hangs over the washer in which i leave the lid up in case of any leaks or other issues no mess to clean up.

As for RO being bad for humans, Bottled water, Drinking fountains, Refrigerator water dispensers are all RO filters. Its RODI that has been said to not be healthy for humans but I haven't found enough evidence solidifying that claim but I think it refers to the Deionization Resin being the issue.

As for an RODI filter it is absolutely worth the investment, you can buy one cheap from craigslist or a local reef club/forum used and purchase your refill media from BRS (get the refillable canister for the DI Resin) otherwise if you want new just the basic 75GPD is only $135 here and for the fully loaded (w/TDS meter, Auto Shut off, Pressure Gauge, Flush Valve, and 150GPD) only $220 here

Can't hang it on the wall.

Right above the washer is the water connecting boxes which you can't cover. You also can't access it. 

The other side has electrical plugs, vent for dryer.

The other wall I wouldn't be able to open my washer to use it.

I'm also short, I need access to it.

I actually prefer it with the faucet adapter.

I don't need to change anything, fiddle with anything,  this isn't my house, things aren't easily changed here. 

• Like 2
cfaye@Delaware

Ok, shabby chic, the gypsy in me. The bins you can cover with fabric, use them as decorate tables with light objects on them. You can label them with a marker, whats in them. As far as them being all over the place, hide them, dress them up. I think on the internet search Micro Apartments, new thing, I think that is what it's called. They have ideas on what to do in small spaces. I have 40 yrs of stuff in bins from me and moms....They are out in the garage, if I move go into small storage space rental......Then bins in house not a problem.....I have one closet, no clothes, just stacks of bins. The other closets are regular normal storage....clothes, etc. The ones people can see are dressed up.....stacks are dressed up.....Shabby Chic.....what's her name.....Martha Steward ( spelling ) All of my tank equipment in bins, look nice when company comes. I'm a bin freak.....:haha:

Don't get a 4 stage, if you notice, stage 1 five micron, 2 carbon block, 3 membrane, 4th stage one DI unit?  That's insufficient, should be a granulated carbon to reduce contaminants and not clog the carbon block as fast.  i would only get one that was set up at least , 5-micron, granulated carbon, carbon block, membrane, then a dual canister DI as one canister will allow bleed through without perfectly guessing when it's expended

3 hours ago, Exodus said:

As for RO being bad for humans, Bottled water, Drinking fountains, Refrigerator water dispensers are all RO filters. 

No, refrigerators have a proprietary carbon filter at best for 50$ when a better one cost 8$ retail.  Drinking fountains like those at schools actually have public water supply no way it's RO(literally trying to sell a school a system right now haha), most bottled water isn't RO unless you buy if from coke or Pepsi and then it has added elements back.  RO water is definitely safe for humans I have customers who bought a unit at doctors reccomendation for cancer etc. because their liver had to do less work to filter out the contaminants, RODI can cause imbalance and shouldn't be drank though

On 9/14/2017 at 8:05 AM, kimberbee said:

Everything @Tamberav said. 

I play a lot of tetris with my belongings in cabinets and closets, but it's so much easier to have on demand rodi water when I need it. I keep my unit under the kitchen sink... pull it out and hook it up to the faucet when needed. 

me too; With a faucet adapter..easy peasy 

• Like 2

I rent and hooked up a spetrapure 90gpd rodi / aquatic life booster pump like i own the place. RODI hangs above the washing machine gets supply from cold tap in laundry closet and dumps waste water down same drain as washing machine. When i leave , no one will ever know it was there. 

Under sink mounts are ideal in apartment situations.  

Never understood why its always made to be such a huge issue. 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

I rent and hooked up a spetrapure 90gpd rodi / aquatic life booster pump like i own the place. RODI hangs above the washing machine gets supply from cold tap in laundry closet and dumps waste water down same drain as washing machine. When i leave , no one will ever know it was there. 

I won't mess with my landlords plumbing.  

11 hours ago, NanoReefMinimalist said:

The best RODI water I bought from a market place is from WHOLEFOOD. They are 39 cents a gallon and always 0 TDI. 

WOW!!! that cheap. Its rare to find a RODI system in a store now. They always have RO water but not RODI water. I just buy distilled water from walmart. .89 a gallon.The one with a purple cap.  I only have a 10 gallon so I may just buy 2 or 3 of them for water change and tops offs a week. 

26 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Its a huge issue because alot of apartments are very controlling about those situations and I can understand them. If they ever have to come in for maintenance they will have a cow if they seen something that didnt suppose to be there. Plus if a link ever happen you will be the blame . 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, REEFreefLJS85 said:

Its a huge issue because alot of apartments are very controlling about those situations and I can understand them. If they ever have to come in for maintenance they will have a cow if they seen something that didnt suppose to be there. Plus if a link ever happen you will be the blame . 

At the same time, a lot of apartments are very understanding. My lease said no aquariums... but I asked nicely and they allowed me to have 2!! 

But again, RODI under the sink, kitchen faucet adapter. It's simple, discreet, and really doesn't take up too much room. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, MarieH said:

I won't mess with my landlords plumbing.  

31 minutes ago, REEFreefLJS85 said:

You guys act as if you're removing a wall or something. If you run it from where your washing machine is at you are not modifying their Plumbing at all , it's just a simple splitter you connect the washing machine to one side  and the filtration system to the other and you run the same risk of a leak there as you do just by hooking up your washing machine. The under sink mount I can understand why some are intimidated by it but if done correctly you should never have any issues. I have hooked up both ways in rental properties, been through multiple inspections and no one has ever said anything about it. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Ok, shabby chic, the gypsy in me. The bins you can cover with fabric, use them as decorate tables with light objects on them. You can label them with a marker, whats in them. As far as them being all over the place, hide them, dress them up. I think on the internet search Micro Apartments, new thing, I think that is what it's called. They have ideas on what to do in small spaces. I have 40 yrs of stuff in bins from me and moms....They are out in the garage, if I move go into small storage space rental......Then bins in house not a problem.....I have one closet, no clothes, just stacks of bins. The other closets are regular normal storage....clothes, etc. The ones people can see are dressed up.....stacks are dressed up.....Shabby Chic.....what's her name.....Martha Steward ( spelling ) All of my tank equipment in bins, look nice when company comes. I'm a bin freak.....:haha:

My apartment is 1235 sq ft open concept.

It's not my style to have totes around.

Like I said, my stuff is organized. I can't stand clutter, messiness, or disorganization.

My stuff is already in totes, stacked, labeled, and put away.

I just don't have more room for more!

Why is this an issue?

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

You guys act as if you're removing a wall or something. If you run it from where your washing machine is at you are not modifying their Plumbing at all , it's just a simple splitter you connect the washing machine to one side  and the filtration system to the other and you run the same risk of a leak there as you do just by hooking up your washing machine. The under sink mount I can understand why some are intimidated by it but if done correctly you should never have any issues. I have hooked up both ways in rental properties, been through multiple inspections and no one has ever said anything about it. 

It is an issue, maybe not fir everyone but for some.

Your lease says no modifications, no aquariums - any modifications you do that causes an issue is legally your responsibility.

Even if a landlord ok's  something that is gainst the lease - if it's not in writing it means diddly.

Maybe some of us simply don't want to change things, some may have no idea how to, and not all apartments are set up equally, not all are run equally.

My building does inspections every 6mnths.

They don't want you changing or doing any work yourself. 

4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Here's an example of things being different and not as easily modified.

The 2 doors above my washer is where the water shut off valves are.

20170915_101644.jpg

20170915_101604.jpg

Unless they are inoperable I see shut off valves on every fitting in both pictures. I have the exact same valves on my washing machine. Where the cold water line connects to the valve with the blue handle I have a splitter, the washing machine goes off of the right side the Rodi goes off of the left side. And then the Wastewater line goes into the same drain as the washing machine Wastewater.

2 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Unless they are inoperable I see shut off valves on every fitting in both pictures. I have the exact same valves on my washing machine. Where the cold water line connects to the valve with the blue handle I have a splitter, the washing machine goes off of the right side the Rodi goes off of the left side. And then the Wastewater line goes into the same drain as the washing machine Wastewater.

I don't want to modify those in any way. 

For me, it's easier with a faucet adapter. My ro/di will not be on a wall, there is no wall for it.

4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I don't want to modify those in any way. 

For me, it's easier with a faucet adapter. My ro/di will not be on a wall, there is no wall for it.

I'm not trying to be argumentative just trying to understand where you're coming from when you say modify. Do the washer and dryer belong to you or do they come with the unit?

If they are yours, adding the splitter is the same thing as screwing on the line from the washing machine. You aren't actually modifying anything it's just an adapter between the two fittings.

If they came with the unit then the term modify now makes more sense because you would be taking apart something that doesn't belong to you

Christopher Marks
13 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

20170915_101604.jpg

There's already a T on your hot water line that goes to the dishwasher, you can see it there on the left. You could simply fit the same sort of T adaptor to the cold water line to branch off and supply your RO/DI unit. It's just a threaded connection that sandwiches between what's already there, simple to remove later.

The only tricky part is tapping in the waste water line from the RO/DI, it needs to drain somewhere. The good news is you could tie it in where the dishwasher drain connects with that white plastic tube and black rubber fitting. You could sandwich another adaptor in for the RO/DI waste line so you can easily undo that change later as well.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to What do you do for RO/DI when you're a renter?