inTank Media Baskets

Putting a Funko Pop! in the tank

Garth

Hey guys... I've been out of the hobby for a while, but am getting a new tank this weekend and hope to be setting it up soon. I normally stray from "aquarium decorations" as they are plain cheesy but I have a particular Funko Pop figure that would be perfect for a tank, given it could be sealed/coated properly.  My question is does any one have any suggestions on how to do this?

My thought was to first apply multiple of coats to the painted vinyl figure with Krylon Fusion clear, this would act mainly to hold the paint onto the vinyl but also as a good adhesive layer. Then after plenty of coats of clear, (maybe 5?) and days of dry time, going back over the figure with Krylon's Clear Polyurethane Coating, and again applying multiple coats.  

IDK, is this just a stupid idea? Is there an alternative method? I also thought about just getting 100% silicon and brushing it onto the figure, but thought this would look cleaner (no brush strokes)

TIA

44 minutes ago, Garth said:

Hey guys... I've been out of the hobby for a while, but am getting a new tank this weekend and hope to be setting it up soon. I normally stray from "aquarium decorations" as they are plain cheesy but I have a particular Funko Pop figure that would be perfect for a tank, given it could be sealed/coated properly.  My question is does any one have any suggestions on how to do this?

My thought was to first apply multiple of coats to the painted vinyl figure with Krylon Fusion clear, this would act mainly to hold the paint onto the vinyl but also as a good adhesive layer. Then after plenty of coats of clear, (maybe 5?) and days of dry time, going back over the figure with Krylon's Clear Polyurethane Coating, and again applying multiple coats.  

IDK, is this just a stupid idea? Is there an alternative method? I also thought about just getting 100% silicon and brushing it onto the figure, but thought this would look cleaner (no brush strokes)

TIA

I have no idea but now I need to see the item in question. :happy:

• Like 2

Not sure about polyurethane being put in the tank.

I know of no other sealant for vinyl that would be safe in a tank.

I do alot of work on vinyl toys and use liquidex sealer. I wouldn't use it in a tank. Some sealants and other chemicals will actually breakdown the vinyl, aquarium silicone might do that. 

Have you considered putting the funko in a acrylic collector box, glueing it shut and displaying it that way in the tank? You can place corals around it to eventually block the box and look integrated with the coral.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know. The spray is probably meant to protect the leds but not sure it's safe for being in a reef tank.

You also have to consider that vinyl breaks down when sealed with certain chemicals.