ReefCleaners.org

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

I thought about posting a deleted, extended version of the foot scene. Even more accurate, but I'm not sure about the forums stance on NSFW material and didn't want to risk a bann hammer. 😆

• Haha 1
HookedOnAquariums
6 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

On the contrary, I'll sell it for $10.  

I  cant have acros yet, I can’t have acros yet, I can’t have acros yet, I can’t have... Oh and beautiful analogy, except the Mariah Carey part. You can diss Mariah every other month but December, but when it is the Christmas queens month only good things shall be uttered of her. (Proof Mariah owns Christmas: she wrote, directed, and started in her own Christmas movie. She has the greatest Christmas album of all time, and I have listened to all I Want For Christmas is you upwards of 40 times in 12 days

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
47 minutes ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

I  cant have acros yet, I can’t have acros yet, I can’t have acros yet, I can’t have... Oh and beautiful analogy, except the Mariah Carey part. You can diss Mariah every other month but December, but when it is the Christmas queens month only good things shall be uttered of her. (Proof Mariah owns Christmas: she wrote, directed, and started in her own Christmas movie. She has the greatest Christmas album of all time, and I have listened to all I Want For Christmas is you upwards of 40 times in 12 days

Damn, that’s some hard truth. I have no response. You are 100% correct. I am sorry. Praise be Mariah! 

HookedOnAquariums
25 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Damn, that’s some hard truth. I have no response. You are 100% correct. I am sorry. Praise be Mariah! 

She shall forgive, if you pay a tribute of 100 doves and 200 white rabbits she can release at her next preformance.

• Haha 1
On 12/12/2018 at 2:28 PM, Reefkid88 said:

For real though,when it comes time what would you want for some Red Dragon,Birdsnest,"Gila Monster" and whatever Acro's you have you could cut ? 

Unfortunately, they still have a lot of growing out to do... So it may be a minute before I'm ready to trim frags large enough to ship out. But when I do, I'll definitely let you know. I doubt I'll sell them for much, probably just the cost of shipping or something similar. This hobby is a lot more fun if you expect nothing from it!

Friday!! Here's so shoddy pictures to ease you into the weekend!

Just a tiny nub from ASD lost in a forest of acros... It hasn't grown a millimeter in the eight or so months I've had it, and time is beginning to run out before it gets swallowed up by its neighbors growth. The growth rate of the WWC Slimeball (right) and the Bali Valida (back) is insane. 

B37E1CC1-F2B4-403D-90C2-E4E28A736BEC.jpeg

JKR Rainbow (left) JF Foxflame (right) were mounted... a bit... too close. Instead of worrying about the impending fight, I just repress the feelings and pretend that they are best friends... both of these were stared as 1/3" frags unceremoniously clipped from the mother colony and glued to the LF, no acclimation or healing time of any kind. 

7CBC1ADA-CBC7-4214-A256-7237BBCBBACD.jpeg

**Since the tank has been kind of in auto-pilot mode, instead of just doing periodic photo dumps without explanation, I am thinking out fewer pictures more frequently with explanations (most likely bad explanations) of what's happening. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

• Like 6
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

Unfortunately, they still have a lot of growing out to do... So it may be a minute before I'm ready to trim frags large enough to ship out. But when I do, I'll definitely let you know. I doubt I'll sell them for much, probably just the cost of shipping or something similar. This hobby is a lot more fun if you expect nothing from it!

Friday!! Here's so shoddy pictures to ease you into the weekend!

Just a tiny nub from ASD lost in a forest of acros... It hasn't grown a millimeter in the eight or so months I've had it, and time is beginning to run out before it gets swallowed up by its neighbors growth. The growth rate of the WWC Slimeball (right) and the Bali Valida (back) is insane. 

B37E1CC1-F2B4-403D-90C2-E4E28A736BEC.jpeg

JKR Rainbow (left) JF Foxflame (right) were mounted... a bit... too close. Instead of worrying about the impending fight, I just repress the feelings and pretend that they are best friends... both of these were stared as 1/3" frags unceremoniously clipped from the mother colony and glued to the LF, no acclimation or healing time of any kind. 

7CBC1ADA-CBC7-4214-A256-7237BBCBBACD.jpeg

**Since the tank has been kind of in auto-pilot mode, instead of just doing periodic photo dumps without explanation, I am thinking out fewer pictures more frequently with explanations (most likely bad explanations) of what's happening. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

I'd love to have something like that one day. They are so pretty, looking good by the way :smilie:

• Like 1

I actually like the JKR and Fox Flame mounted close together. The colors are complementary. And pretty. And like you said, I'm sure they'll be best buds as they grow up together :lol:

• Like 1
On 12/14/2018 at 8:55 AM, Reefkid88 said:

Absolutely bud,well just put me in line. I'm happy to see your Fox Flame isn't a brown turd lol especially for such a small frag. 

You are on the list! Unfortunately, for you... and also my tank, I suppose... I'm not the best reefkeeper so there is a 50/50 chance that things grow out and I'm able to send you a frag of something sweet, or I nuke the tank by coming home too late one night and think that Blenwood would also love another shot of Buffalo Trace... I guess it's that kind of uncertainty that makes reef keeping great television. In fact, I like to believe that this thread is like the weird made-for-tv low budget Hallmark movie love child between Ru Paul, OJ's police chase, and Land Before Time 3. 

On 12/14/2018 at 9:19 AM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'd love to have something like that one day. They are so pretty, looking good by the way :smilie:

Thanks! Your tank is been looking nice, so I feel like you will be there sooner than later!

On 12/15/2018 at 11:31 AM, teenyreef said:

I actually like the JKR and Fox Flame mounted close together. The colors are complementary. And pretty. And like you said, I'm sure they'll be best buds as they grow up together :lol:

Thanks! I know it's not the coolest acro on the block, but I am liking the Fox Flame more and more as it grows and colors up! The JKR Rainbow, unfortunately, is gonna take some time before its anything but a green stick (you have both right?). I really hope they become friends, though from what I gathered thus far, the JKR Rainbow is actually a piggy-faced slightly over-weight ginger on the inside and likes to bully the Fox Flame (having attacked it twice now). I'm counting on the Fox Flame growing faster and being smarter. Though in reality we are talking about corals so this may be a stretch. Basically, they are the world's dumbest animal, or earth's smartest rock. I'm leaning towards the later. 

Pictures for the second worst day of the week!

After a bout with both RTN and STN the Hawkins is beginning to make a nice recovery. Unfortunately, like a moron I originally placed this acro in the single best piece of real estate in the tank. So it will likely be moved for something more exciting in the near future. 

A699333E-B16A-4648-8763-B2427FCD2EDC.jpeg

Gobeen one of the inhabitants of the rarely photographed frag tank. The ladyfriend likes to refer to the frag tank as "The Dumpster." Which really makes Gobeen's living situation sound really depressing. 

CBFD9C8F-C0A9-4272-B9E2-30C1911FCD96.jpeg

An unknown/unnamed acro that I glued to the back wall. It has the craziest PE I have ever seen in an acro, and now that it is beginning to color up seems to have some real potential (pink base / blue tips / red polyps). This may be moved to the oven, to see if we can bake some color into it.

B6E82CEB-528B-4FD1-98F8-17FD36E17D8F.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Pictures for the second worst day of the week!

The tank is looking amazing!! I think my lack of feeding and attention is slowing things down here. Today wont be the second worst after checking your mail. :ninja:

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Tgat last pic has some crazy ass PE !! Can yiu get a top down pic ? 

From a week or two ago; it is continuing to color up, but at least you can see the pinks and blues developing... it needs to be moved out into the light to see it really shine though. 

24C20E28-FD6A-41D1-A24E-202AD009BC98.jpeg

• Like 1
On 12/17/2018 at 11:40 AM, Reefkid88 said:

Are the corallites blue ?! That insane looking man oh man. 

Yep, corallites are blue and the base looks to be pink. I'm hoping the polyps color up to something nice!

• Like 1

Welp, it's Thursday. But not any Thursday, the Thursday before Christmas, arguably the penultimate day for company Christmas Parties. Which in turn, is the penultimate day to drink spiked eggnog and watch Sharen from accounting generally make a drunken ass of herself. It's also the day you get to get away with wearing a dumb sweater and/or hideous holiday tie out in public. What a wonderful day to be employed! On the whole, I think company Christmas parties are underrated, honestly they never seem to disappoint. What more, it's even better if it's not your company Christmas party, but some one else's instead. That's really where things can go sideways real quick (and with even less accountability). So drink some 'nog, eat some questionable hors d'oeuvres, and help Sharen up when she inevitably eats it on the dance floor, and remember what happens at Christmas Parties stays at Christmas Parties!

Crappy Photos!!

Acan Party

E9E3DD33-E894-4E98-A6AC-E5DC240FF01F.jpeg

Cherry Bomb

E1F9F288-AB6C-4EB4-8DBE-2A632EA9594C.jpeg

Chub-wood

56B3E829-BE30-4A0A-998F-6C838065E357.jpeg

• Like 5

Acros looking awesome. I got a cherry bomb from GotCorals a while back- it’s a beautiful coral! My polyps look more red, somewhat brighter, but that’s probably due to the par 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Travis said:

This thread always makes me smile 🙂 lol

What's you daily dose for 2 (or 3?) part?

Thanks! My dosing schedule is 0.5ml of ESV 2-part every 2 hours (the dosing of 1 & 2 are spaced out 5 minutes), except at 12am when I dose 1ml. So currently I am dosing 6.5ml of each part a day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 12/20/2018 at 2:05 PM, HarryPotter said:

Acros looking awesome. I got a cherry bomb from GotCorals a while back- it’s a beautiful coral! My polyps look more red, somewhat brighter, but that’s probably due to the par 

With some of the hyped acros I have been disappointed when getting them in real life, but not so with the CB. I agree, mine needs to color up a big (still a bit pale), but I think that will happen when it gets a larger. This might be the fastest growing frag in my system, I can't imagine how fast it must be growing in your tank!

On 12/20/2018 at 3:34 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Thats crazy about the acro. Thats also pretty low of a dosage for as many sps that you have. 

I kinda agree it does seem a bit low. But on the other hand, 6.5 ml of alk per day, at my water volume (approx. eight gallons), equates to daily fluctuation of 2.0 dKH, which is scary... which I why I pray my doser doesn't go out...

Post holiday shoddy pictures!!

King of the frag tank sitting on the Montipora Throne:

DFDCE181-FB4B-414E-9D34-3DF539AF24A3.jpeg

Oregon Tort from @Cultivated Reef growing on the overflow:

F8CE26CA-D02D-4C54-8BD7-F4FC1A97CDA6.jpeg

• Like 5
On 12/20/2018 at 2:01 PM, Cannedfish said:

Welp, it's Thursday. But not any Thursday, the Thursday before Christmas, arguably the penultimate day for company Christmas Parties. Which in turn, is the penultimate day to drink spiked eggnog and watch Sharen from accounting generally make a drunken ass of herself. It's also the day you get to get away with wearing a dumb sweater and/or hideous holiday tie out in public. What a wonderful day to be employed! On the whole, I think company Christmas parties are underrated, honestly they never seem to disappoint. What more, it's even better if it's not your company Christmas party, but some one else's instead. That's really where things can go sideways real quick (and with even less accountability). So drink some 'nog, eat some questionable hors d'oeuvres, and help Sharen up when she inevitably eats it on the dance floor, and remember what happens at Christmas Parties stays at Christmas Parties!

Crappy Photos!!

Acan Party

E9E3DD33-E894-4E98-A6AC-E5DC240FF01F.jpeg

Cherry Bomb

E1F9F288-AB6C-4EB4-8DBE-2A632EA9594C.jpeg

Chub-wood

56B3E829-BE30-4A0A-998F-6C838065E357.jpeg

Beautiful acan colonies! How often do they grow new heads? Also what amount of lighting, in regards to placement, has shown the best coloration for them? 

4 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Which doser are you running ?! Golly,that Tort looks grade a !!! How was your christmas bud ? 

Thanks, definitely have high hopes for the OR, althought it is a slow grower.  But.... it’s hard to argue with that blue, if only because it would be silly to argue with a abstract construct such as a color. But nonetheless, I have using a cheap Jabao DP-4. Not the best, nor the flashiest, but like my drunken dancing at weddings it’s reliable. Overall, Xmas was good if not low key. I did get a 40mm macro lens from the ladyfriend, so y’all be seeing more crappy photo, but at much closer range!!

3 hours ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

I would give anything for a thread on the frag tank...

Whoa! Slow down! Never say you’ll “give anything...” that’s how I lost my pinky finger at a roadside circus. Unfortunately, barring an unforeseen miracle, the kind that gets long dead European priests canonized, there will never be a tank thread for the frag tank. Not because I’m too lazy (I am), not because it’s already difficult for my coonass to string enough words together to make a semi-coherent post (it is), not because the frag tank at this point isn’t interesting (it isn’t). Rather it is because every person has a shame. For some it’s the fact that when no one is looking they like to stuff their face with gas station hotdogs, for others it’s the fact they often clip their toe nails in bed, still for others it’s the fact they have three nipples. For me my shame is all of the above... but it’s also the frag tank. See, the frag tank is basically ten gallons of hair algae, poor maintenance, and a yellow goby. It’s so beautiful that the ladyfriend calls it the dumpster. So it seems unlikely to get its own thread and it’s certainly not worth losing a pinky finger over.  

3 hours ago, Joevember said:

Beautiful acan colonies! How often do they grow new heads? Also what amount of lighting, in regards to placement, has shown the best coloration for them? 

Oh man, this is a tough to answer. Not because I don’t have ample experience with acans but I’m not sure I’m the person you should trust with giving advice.  See I have been blessed with the unwavering gift to turn any beautiful rainbow acan into a boring red acan. This is probably because I blast them with too much light (though I have recently moved them back under an overhang). But I have found that to keep rainbows, you know, rainbow you can’t give them too much light. I have also found that high light will deepen base colors (red/purple/green) but as stated above you lose the subtler colors. Feed them and they will grow quickly. Bam... I give that response a 2/10. Not my best... really ran out of gas... fin. 

......….............

Crappy first attempt (right out of the box) macro pics (also, first time using the DSLR)! (Like my 5th grade haircut, the aperture is all sorts of wrong)

A1A176C6-6A92-467A-B320-3A2BE0E52865.jpeg

4DD6393F-C004-46D6-8C59-A2B8B4620681.jpeg

C6E6E649-6359-43E4-B021-DB15E4C7103A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2