I'm considering getting back into the hobby with one of these tanks and stumbled into your build. I just finished reading through this thread and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the most enjoyable journals out there. Thanks for sharing. :)

What were your thoughts on running kalk in your top off water to help with the kh dropping, either in addition to or in place of the 2 part dosing? Keep up the good work!

20 hours ago, AZReefJunkie said:

I'm considering getting back into the hobby with one of these tanks and stumbled into your build. I just finished reading through this thread and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the most enjoyable journals out there. Thanks for sharing. :)

What were your thoughts on running kalk in your top off water to help with the kh dropping, either in addition to or in place of the 2 part dosing? Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I appreciate it! What I lack in appreciable reefing skill, I definitely attempt to make up with bad analogies and worse dad jokes. Some call it unamusing and hackneyed, and... well, their probably right.

I normally wouldn't say take my advice, unless you were looking to make some bad decisions. But in this case, I think you should absolutely get back into the hobby, and although I might be a bit biased, I think the IM10 is a perfect tank to do it with. Being so small, we were able to place our unobtrusively in the kitchen and, as a completely unintended consequence, we've found we spend much more time there as the tank functions as a sort of TV that only gets one channel (and that channel is a unusual mix of Blue Planet, Andy Cohen, and early 2000's Survivor). Also it's always kind of shocking how interested guests are when they come over and discover that coral is actually alive and that Blenwood is actually half fish half brautwurst (sorry buddy, you need to lose weight). 

That being said, about dosing. As stated before, I have been really hesitant to dose. I feel like I am barely able to keep this car on the road how it is, and the added complication of dosing pumps and 2-part and math would immediately cause disaster (science is illegal down here in the South). In the two-plus weeks since I've used the dosing pump, I can honestly say the opposite has been true. With a bit of diligence (something I'm otherwise not known for) I have been able to dial-in the automated dosing to a point where I have been getting fairly consistent alk readings regardless of the time of day. And honestly everything looking infinitely happier.

About putting kalk in the my ATO: I thought about that, however, there is one big issue, I don't have an ATO. Partly, it comes down to space, as there isn't really a great place to put a reservoir; partly it comes down to me being illogically stubborn (an ATO involves a pump and sensors and wires (technology is illegal down yonder in Dixie)). I have thought about getting one, however, I keep a glass lid one the tank, which really helps with evaporation and just top up whenever it needs it (also I think the glass lid looks so much better than mesh). People point out that the glass lid limits gas exchange, but with a skimmer and a lot of surface agitation, I'm not convinced that it is a huge issue. Honestly, if I do pick up an ATO, I would get rid of the lid altogether and go Italian beach or hairy Eastern European man-style... Le Topless. Lastly, I admit I did think about the kalk route in lieu of the dosing pump, but I couldn't really wrap my head around it like I could with dosing. For whatever reason (probably because I'm an idiot) the process seemed much more inexact and fuzzy: involving evaporation rates and kalk concentrations and measurements (the laws of thermodynamics are frowned upon in Bayou). Dosing seem much more straight-forward. 

Wow, that was a metric-ton of rambling; I'm not sure if this answered any of your questions, but I hope it helped. If not, here are some less-than-stellar photos!

Red Dragon finally deciding to grow. 

46BC5955-B83B-43D6-87C1-53ACDBFC6887.jpeg

SC Orange Passion... err... Green Passion.

DDC8C612-ECBC-463F-9FBC-2B1BC23AC958.jpeg

Unknown Zoa. 

3BB06A51-7982-41AC-A1AC-A774C31C7EBA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now