Cultivated Reef

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

So that's what I've been doing for the last 30 years! I had no idea. Still waiting for the growth spurt built on the encrusted foundation though.

Just hang in there, it’s coming...  ?

• Haha 2

There are too many good comments to just give a cursory response. Plus this response is going to need my full focus, which is shoddy at best in optimum situations, and I’m already four fingers deep in some Weller 107 and enroute to a Mexican restaurant.   

Anyways, went to the LFS for RODI water and this happened.  Keeping with the dumb fish names (Blenwood, Lorp, Etc.), the lady has named the new fish boy...Gobeen. 

8A7450BD-7B65-44BF-81EF-BB4B9ECE256C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Okay, your commentary is killing me.  I need to get in on this.  Following!

You're making me want to set up a 10g.

To initiate my battery of questions, I'm most interested in your AI Prime HD and clam.  Might I bother you for your settings, and ask how the clam is doing?  I haven't caught up on your build, which I will do shortly!  I love my non-HD Prime and am thinking of getting another... talk me out of it, I have to stop spending! :blush:

Looks so good!!

pappadumplingz
35 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

A few quick pre-club Tuesday morning photos...

303A2786-7A96-4DE8-9808-EBCE912B5F02.jpeg

B7AEDB88-C2F8-4201-8A4F-C6F7FFDD16E8.jpeg

A7A0FE88-9E52-41CF-8828-4B63DF0F503E.jpeg

Damn that’s a nice stick/2x4/acropora!

Always amazes me that the tank isnt bigger when you share a FTS. From your close ups, I would swear there's enough life to fill a 40 

On 3/30/2018 at 1:12 PM, TheBig053 said:

This is exactly what I told everyone in middle school! It was true, then I turned 30 and began “encrusting” again.... 

That’s not a muffin top! I’m encrusting.

Dat blue maxima doh?!?!?

On 3/30/2018 at 8:12 PM, teenyreef said:

So that's what I've been doing for the last 30 years! I had no idea. Still waiting for the growth spurt built on the encrusted foundation though.

I've been thinking for two days and have nothing. These comments were too good. Checkmate. 

On 4/2/2018 at 3:45 PM, sugar said:

Okay, your commentary is killing me.  I need to get in on this.  Following!

You're making me want to set up a 10g.

To initiate my battery of questions, I'm most interested in your AI Prime HD and clam.  Might I bother you for your settings, and ask how the clam is doing?  I haven't caught up on your build, which I will do shortly!  I love my non-HD Prime and am thinking of getting another... talk me out of it, I have to stop spending! :blush:

Looks so good!!

Thank you! I certainly appreciate it. Don't be fooled, the photos, like my resume and the weight listed on my driver's license, have been given the full Hope Hicks treatment (too soon?). That is to say, they may, allegedly, be slight distortions of reality. In actuality, when you pull back the curtains, and see how the sausage is really made, you quickly realize that this thing is essentially a roll of duct tape, three beers, and a used band-aid away from being a complete and utter train-wreck. To analogize further: photos of Blen-Daddy's palace are not dissimilar from you're run-of-the-mill Tinder profile/love story. Open the app and outside of the occasional bridge troll your likely to see a bevy of err... acceptable faces. Scroll through the auxiliary pictures and you will see happy people who regularly do really cool things with awesome and interesting individuals. Their profile description makes them out to be witty, worldly, and wise. Obviously, a perfect match! You quickly swipe right (or is it left, who cares). When you meet at the middle-of-the-road dinning establishment, however,  you quickly realize your date is less 1990's Linda Evangelista and more 1990's Roseanne. What I'm saying is take everything I say with a grain of salt, and make sure if you go on a Tinder date that the restaurant has cheap drinks.  

Where were we... AI Prime! I also love my Prime. Unfortunately, having only had the HD version, I am unframilar with the non-HD. Creepin' through your tank thread, however, two things are readily apparent: one, your tank is pretty awesome, and two vastly bigger than mine (slight exaggeration). I don't think another would hurt by any means, but you can probably still get away with one. I have attached a picture of my setting for reference. 

On 4/3/2018 at 8:58 AM, pappadumplingz said:

Damn that’s a nice stick/2x4/acropora!

Thanks yo! Now I just need everything to continue to grow in!

On 4/3/2018 at 10:39 AM, Patrick17 said:

Always amazes me that the tank isnt bigger when you share a FTS. From your close ups, I would swear there's enough life to fill a 40 

At risk of sounding like a hackneyed sentimentalist. I think one of the best and most rewarding aspects of nano tanks is the degree of intimacy that you experience with the tank and inhabitants. It is truly amazing the amount of life that can fit and coexist in a small space on a reef. A lot of this life is very small and essentially disappears in larger aquariums. With only 10 gallons, things that would be overlooked (or not even known about) in larger systems are noticed and celebrated: the secret lives of mini-bristle stars, the everyday hullabaloo of sexy shrimps, the overly dramatic and fabulous existence of a two-inch blenny. This micro-environment not only endearing but also endlessly entertaining. For example, when we feed the tank and the nassarius snails emerge from the sandy depths, the pom-pom crab rushes out of her hole to kick them. Why, I don't know, but it's hilarious. You also are much more aware of growth. A half inch of growth in a large system doesn't register, but you notice every bit in a nano tank, and it creates a feeling of accomplishment. 

Whoa, hard stop. That's more than enough melodramatic soap-boxing. Time to get back to the regularly scheduled programming: drinking beers and watching silly little crustaceans kick their roommates. As Grand Pappy used to say, "Cartoonish crab violence is the best violence." 

9EB3718E-8C46-469A-AC8F-E29B7EB358A3.jpeg

6A03826D-2013-4AFD-A01B-B8BEAB220ACC.jpeg

F822FA52-A433-4436-A602-CD3D657FA07B.jpeg

• Like 7

Welp, this weekend’s theme is combination of drag queen brunches and Firetrucks, SOP. 

Jealous of who’s ever at RAP.

35CD0C88-0AC2-4629-9590-9702BDF6290B.jpeg

C4455933-1B65-446D-A04C-5C5C7537E2C4.jpeg

39895A9A-165A-4E92-B026-FEB6A8FDD3AB.jpeg

• Like 7

In the great annuls of history, today is marked not only as Mandy Moore's and Steven Seagal's birthdays and the founding of Hertz Car Rental, but also the day, according to my American Express statement, that I purchased Blenwood's tank. Even in the span of only a year, its amazing how much this ten gallon box of water has changed: from an algae covered sewer puddle to a Busch League softy tank to a constantly-on-the-edge-of-disaster mixed reef. More amazing is how much I've learned about the hobby in the last year, and even more so, how much I've learned that I don't know. To summarize the basics about what I have discovered about being a below-average nano reef keeper, it takes 1) patience, 2) money, & 3) water changes. 

Quick Timeline:

—April 10, 2017: Purchased tank

—Mid April 2017: Started Cycle

—May 2017: Brought home Blenwood & first corals

—May 2017: promptly killed first corals

—July 2017: purchased first SPS (Jedi Mind Trick Monti & Green Birdsnest)

—August 2017: MACNA: first time I mainlined an Acro

—September 2017: Joined N-R.com

—January 2018: first foray into high-end Acros

Anyway, drink a beer for old Blenwood & Co. tonight, and thanks for all the help along the way!

Late April 2017 (as you can see my photography skill have always been terrible):

5accb8ac1fabd_FTS4_27_17.thumb.jpg.7d8c7fa2283e38cee419bea9b0548ffb.jpg

4/10/18:

5accb8d4e1374_FTS4_10_18.thumb.jpg.f824a13cf13b27eb81e9a317d5068638.jpg

B-Wood Cash Money Dolla Dolla:

Blenwood.thumb.jpg.741e1735469ff9c064747a8facdf4d1c.jpg

Tank in Kitchen:

5accba6134cb1_4.1.18Kitchen.thumb.jpg.877a63bddf99a8e6d14673bc68dcb0b5.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
10 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

In the great annuls of history, today is marked not only as Mandy Moore's and Steven Seagal's birthdays and the founding of Hertz Car Rental, but also the day, according to my American Express statement, that I purchased Blenwood's tank. Even in the span of only a year, its amazing how much this ten gallon box of water has changed: from an algae covered sewer puddle to a Busch League softy tank to a constantly-on-the-edge-of-disaster mixed reef. More amazing is how much I've learned about the hobby in the last year, and even more so, how much I've learned that I don't know. To summarize the basics about what I have learned about mildly successful nano reef keeping, it takes 1) patience, 2) money, & 3) water changes. 

Quick Timeline:

Anyway, drink a beer for old Blenwood & Co. tonight, and thanks for all the help along the way!

Late April 2017 (as you can see my photography skill have always been terrible):

4/10/18:

Tank in Kitchen:

Happy Anniversary!! :happydance:

B-Wood should drop a single. I get Erika Jayne vibes from him. 

• Haha 3

Happy tankiversary to you and Blenwood! This tank has turned into a stunner :)

However, ummmmmm, not sure how to tell you this, but have you noticed that birdsnest is doing really well? I mean REALLY well. Taking over the world really well. Have you considered a larger house? I mean for the birdsnest. You'll have to remain behind, I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Congrats on the tankiversary! Love how it looks so packed with corals. 

Like Teeny said, that birdsnest can host a freakin pelican, and i don’t mean the bird. I mean Anthony Davis or DaMarcus Cousins! Men it’s getting big. 

• Haha 2
mitten_reef
On 4/10/2018 at 9:22 AM, Cannedfish said:

In the great annuls of history, today is marked not only as Mandy Moore's and Steven Seagal's birthdays and the founding of Hertz Car Rental, but also the day, according to my American Express statement, that I purchased Blenwood's tank. Even in the span of only a year, its amazing how much this ten gallon box of water has changed: from an algae covered sewer puddle to a Busch League softy tank to a constantly-on-the-edge-of-disaster mixed reef. More amazing is how much I've learned about the hobby in the last year, and even more so, how much I've learned that I don't know. To summarize the basics about what I have discovered about being a below-average nano reef keeper, it takes 1) patience, 2) money, & 3) water changes. 

Quick Timeline:

4/10/18:

Tank in Kitchen:

Congrats man! When I saw the title, I really thought, man, one year really flew by.  I've been following this since what I thought was the beginning.  Oh how much time I've spent (wasted) on N-R.  But then I saw on your timeline, phew.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Happy tankiversary to you and Blenwood! This tank has turned into a stunner :)

However, ummmmmm, not sure how to tell you this, but have you noticed that birdsnest is doing really well? I mean REALLY well. Taking over the world really well. Have you considered a larger house? I mean for the birdsnest. You'll have to remain behind, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Rory282 said:

Congrats on the tankiversary! Love how it looks so packed with corals. 

Like Teeny said, that birdsnest can host a freakin pelican, and i don’t mean the bird. I mean Anthony Davis or DaMarcus Cousins! Men it’s getting big. 

Thanks! Also, ironically, I woke up this morning and the birdsnest had broken off the live rock at it base, I assume because it had finally gotten too big. I have been breaking off the tips for months with the algae magnet, which has helped control it a bit, but alas. It looks like it's going to get a SIGNIFICANT trim tonight and maybe the aquascape will go back to being a bit more balanced...

mitten_reef
18 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Thanks! Also, ironically, I woke up this morning and the birdsnest had broken off the live rock at it base, I assume because it had finally gotten too big. I have been breaking off the tips for months with the algae magnet, which has helped control it a bit, but alas. It looks like it's going to get a SIGNIFICANT trim tonight and maybe the aquascape will go back to being a bit more balanced...

off to LFS it goes, trade in for BOP, a bit slower grower.  Or get one from Holly @ cultivated reef, or I can try to send you a nice chunk.   Don't get Barbie birdnest though, as tempting as that might be, those grows pretty quick too, kinda like the green one.   In my experience with birdnests, I have had 4 varieties in my reefing years, mostly one type at any given time, because they all deserves their own time in spotlight.  The other three were all traded in at various points as they overgrew their initial placement, opening up a spot for the BOP now.  Growth rate wise; green > pink with purple polyp > Ponape ~ BOP.     The BOP is definitely a Shower, not a grower, when compared to the other three types, not to mention its stunning colors!     

• Like 3
On 4/11/2018 at 10:36 AM, micoastreefing said:

off to LFS it goes, trade in for BOP, a bit slower grower.  Or get one from Holly @ cultivated reef, or I can try to send you a nice chunk.   Don't get Barbie birdnest though, as tempting as that might be, those grows pretty quick too, kinda like the green one.   In my experience with birdnests, I have had 4 varieties in my reefing years, mostly one type at any given time, because they all deserves their own time in spotlight.  The other three were all traded in at various points as they overgrew their initial placement, opening up a spot for the BOP now.  Growth rate wise; green > pink with purple polyp > Ponape ~ BOP.     The BOP is definitely a Shower, not a grower, when compared to the other three types, not to mention its stunning colors!     

Thanks! I really like the comparative study of birdsnest growth rates, super useful and also super nerdy. It's a good thing I'm past my days of prowlin' for ladies, because if I was typing this response out at a bar coffee shop and some hot young (and rich) this is my analogy I'll do what I want) lassy was as to ask me what I'm typing about and I was like, "oh ya know, commentin' on the comparative growth rate of various species of birds nest corals within the home saltwater aquarium hobby." There would be a pretty high probability that I would not be putting her number in my phone, no matter how fresh my Member's Only jacket and fade were. Furthermore, if I was to give that same response to a jock in a high school hallway, there's a similar probability that I would both be shoved into a locker and be given a wedgie. Anyways, about that birdsnest...

Shortly after posting the last monthly FTS, the birdsnest in question fell off of the LR. By shortly, I mean the next day. This was obviously manna from heaven, telling me that it had finally gotten too big and something needed to be done. So with my will bordering on resolute on Saturday morning, I got up, took a shower, went downstairs, let out the dogs, when to the local pâtisserie for fresh croissants, ate those delicious and buttery croissants, made a cup of coffee, caught up on the news, and then... got to trimming that birdsnest! And trimming I did, it was like a hippie walking into a military barber shop and asking for the house special. Absolute bloodbath. Not wanting to waste it, I then drove to and donated it to my local LFS, where I also picked up a Randall's pistol shrimp for Gobeen, as well as picked up new Acan for the new Acan Garden! Below, are some bad progression photos.

B5824096-75A4-4E26-A583-9C734058AD16.jpeg

4D0FF2BB-8852-434D-80FA-6B2B9BC48AA0.jpeg

555F4FDC-73AC-4149-AB6D-C884AFD0BFA4.jpeg75D324A6-0F4C-4CB9-8553-5BFB487F6DCF.jpeg

D8DDC04B-8276-446E-AC7E-0F84A9EAD1F8.jpeg

• Like 4

Oh, crap, did I accidentally curse your giant birdsnest? Sorry! But I have to say the tank does look more balanced now :)

The candy stripe shrimp is awesome, be prepared for your while tank to get dug up. Have he and Gobeen found each other yet?

The acans look nice - is that some tissue necrosis on the side? Put them in semi-shade to keep the nice rainbow colors. Mine always get too much light and turn solid red or orange.

On 4/16/2018 at 12:19 PM, teenyreef said:

Oh, crap, did I accidentally curse your giant birdsnest? Sorry! But I have to say the tank does look more balanced now :)

The candy stripe shrimp is awesome, be prepared for your while tank to get dug up. Have he and Gobeen found each other yet?

The acans look nice - is that some tissue necrosis on the side? Put them in semi-shade to keep the nice rainbow colors. Mine always get too much light and turn solid red or orange.

No no, that birdsnest had it coming! It is soooo much easier to clean the glass and do just about anything now that that jerk is been cut down to size. Plus, I think having glue'd multiple frags to the LR instead of one, it will grow out and fill in much better.

The pistol shrimp upon release, immediately went in the wrong direction, hid in the rocks and has been MIA ever since, per protocol. Yeah, I think there is a bit of necrosis on the side of the acan. It can from a really seedy shop that weirdly gets in some really nice acans (no idea how or why) and sells them cheap. Because of the overall seediness it wasn't in the best condition and was given a pretty harsh dip and scrub. Overall, however, I think it has real potential. I'm trying to create a second acan garden in the shade under the birdsnest, because like you, everything I put in high lighting ends up looking the same...red.  

• Like 1
TotesMaGoat

Nice tank! Hated my pistol in my fusion 30. Had the same issue with my acans in my fusion 10, my beautiful light orange/yellow acan turned red/Brown. Only keeping zoas and sos because of it

• Like 1

Unfortunately, one of my favorite acro finally lost the long battle to STN. While it wasn't anything special it had character and had been a real homie. Attempting to deal with the loss, I spent the rest of the day pouring out 40's and listening to Bone-Thugs-In-Harmony's Crossroads on repeat. With that behind me, I did what all good psychologists recommend, repressed all memories of it and immediately set out to purchase a replacement. What I ended up with is this browned out mystery acro from Bali. The LFS I got from usually gets in some really nice acro colonies, and said this one came in browned out so he fragged it out and has no idea what it will become. To paraphrase immortal words of Mitch Hedburg, I think it has real potential to be "good... bad... or just okay." With that in mind, I thought it would be a fun exercise to document its progression... or its death, whatever comes first (pro tip: don't bet on the former). Either way, it should be mildly entertaining. Also check out the creeper in the bottom right corner! With those eyes, he should spend more of his time staying at least a thousand feet from schools and playgrounds and less time photobombing coral photos. 

bali acro.jpg

• Haha 4

Did you just glue that new frag directly on top of clove polyps? Hah. I've been contemplating a similar move with my awful GSP infestation, but I am concerned it will just grow up over the plug and proceed to choke out whatever coral is attached to it. It's using up so much good real estate and its damn near impossible to get it off the rock inside the tank. I really hate my GSP. Every time I think about it I hear "You're Really Growing on Me" by The Darkness playing in my head. Awful reef warts.... 

• Haha 3
13 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Did you just glue that new frag directly on top of clove polyps? Hah. I've been contemplating a similar move with my awful GSP infestation, but I am concerned it will just grow up over the plug and proceed to choke out whatever coral is attached to it. It's using up so much good real estate and its damn near impossible to get it off the rock inside the tank. I really hate my GSP. Every time I think about it I hear "You're Really Growing on Me" by The Darkness playing in my head. Awful reef warts.... 

Yup, I just pretend the clove polyps don't exist, I treat them like an extension of the LR. They came as a hitchhiker and have slowly spread. From everything I've read they don't really harm SPS (the internet is never wrong), and since that's basically all I have on my LR (except for a chalice (which you don't eff with) and some cyphastrea (which is a plague in itself)), I'm kinda just going with it . They have filled in and kind of give everything a natural look (plus I haven't seen algae grow where they are). I can see GSP, on the other hand, having the potential to be a complete nightmare. I have some on my back wall and wouldn't even let it get near Donna, my work nemesis. 

Also +1 for the good Darkness reference, and reef warts... great analogy. They're like reef chlamydia but non-treatable with penicillin.

Every time I see a new tank where the first thing the owner does is put a nice big ole chunk GSP square in the middle of the main rock, I kinda chuckle. Its like those nights that you show up to bar and are like "huh, maybe I should warm up with a couple shots of Jaeger, what could go wrong..." Don't do it; don't get reef warts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Quick update: 

A few weeks ago, I mentioned ordering a mystery frag from @Cultivated Reef in addition to the Acro Grow-Out Contest frag. Unlike the contest frag, I wanted to make sure I didn't kill it before posting about it. It has been several weeks and I can confidently say it is doing incredibly well. So what did they send? The mystery frag was a clipping Oregon Tort, which has already encrusted over the super glue and thrown out a few new polyps. Needless to say I'm pretty excited to it grow out! Huge shout out to @Cultivated Reef! Also it's weird how much faster things grow glued to the back glass...

5ad9f78dd9c8f_OregonTort.thumb.jpg.3f5a9ace2887b2f1cc591025fdd5135b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1