Cultivated Reef

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

ECLS Reefer
7 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Wtf that is schexy !!! 

Is that like.... 0FA22744-85B8-4C97-A5ED-AFC009C84CAD.jpeg.14c020f1b153980a9912d321ffa29a6d.jpeg

But truly, @Cannedfish we are not worthy, those who grovel before your literary masterpieces. Can you teach us the way to make such delightfully entertaining posts?? We who cannot post such poetic and creative narratives salute you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Cannedfish
22 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Skittles Trachy - taste the rainbow!

This is the one instance without the digestive destruction and possible spider nightmares caused by consuming Ayahuasca (note: the ease of which this can be purchased along with dried alpaca fetuses and roasted guinea pigs in a standard Peruvian market is at very least slightly concerning) where I want to taste the rainbow...drug free. Unfortunately and slightly regrettably (especially for the coral), I am afraid the odds are greater that I'm left tasting the sweet sweet flavor of failure mixed with a little bit of lunch-hour-parking-lot-sobbing. As demonstrated by my recreational kickball and college dating record, I am not a stranger to the crushing notion of defeat, however, in this specific instance I imagine it has the distinctive flavor profile of ODB's socks mixed with a little bit of used cat liter. Speaking of Skittles at some point America needs to have a conversation about the Skittles commercial where the Rasta man is milking a giraffe. I don't know what, but something needs to be said. 

22 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That is astonishingly gorgeous. I’m so jealous.

Honestly, I haven't been this excited about a coral in like several weeks**. Not because I have the myopic memory of a goldfish, but rather because despite looking for several years, this is the first trachy of this quality where the price actually matched my tax bracket...which is really bigly impressive if you happen to live under the overpass one exit down from mine... exit 34a's exit ramp is a real dump compared to 33b. Those clowns live like peasants... don't even have a proper shopping buggy... losers. 

**since @mitten_reef sent me those insane black suns

11 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

But truly, @Cannedfish we are not worthy, those who grovel before your literary masterpieces. Can you teach us the way to make such delightfully entertaining posts?? We who cannot post such poetic and creative narratives salute you. 

6 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

@Dirté Sanchez exactly like that lol. 

Unfortunately, while this process is in the patent pending stages, I'm afraid I can't fully give away my trade secrets (not at least before my late night infomercial debuts, where a sassy co-host and I shameless ask you to pay (in four easy installments, obvi) $19.99 to learn how to incoherently rant and not proofread). Fortunately (and honestly a bit generously),  I am willing to a offer a little window into my creative process: 

1) Alcohol: enough where you accuse the cat of stealing your wallet, but not too much where you are discovered sleeping in your neighbors shed. 

2) Slight illiteracy: if you live in Louisiana, you automatically qualify. If not, here is a quick test,  do you know the difference between who and whom. You get extra points if you're pretty sure whom isn't a real word. Because it's not, it's a fake word made up by the deep-state elites, to trick you into believing in leap year. 

3) Truck stop hot dogs. It's hard to be a creative on an empty stomach. It's even worse if you fill that stomach full of bad nutrition. That's why I stick to truck stop hot dogs. The subtle combination of nitrates and sodium acts like a soothing massage to help your brain to function at it's best. 

You're welcome.

Mediocre pictures!! 

Grafted cap looking graft-y:

DSC_0011.thumb.jpeg.d5aa0e0c08a37fc8b954bb910980428f.jpeg

It was so fuzzy yesterday!

DSC_0009.thumb.jpeg.dcaedefc571053868b0b31bb55240084.jpeg

One single polyp:

DSC_0085.thumb.jpeg.c0b5c89646740ab9bfefc052b4dcce7a.jpeg

Bargain bin acans... to only acans that don't turn red for me. 

643384796_DSC_0113(1).thumb.jpeg.62ba989208c3953f192c2508f1e2b0a1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
ECLS Reefer
7 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

This is the one instance without the digestive destruction and possible spider nightmares caused by consuming Ayahuasca (note: the ease of which this can be purchased along with dried alpaca fetuses and roasted guinea pigs in a standard Peruvian market is at very least slightly concerning) where I want to taste the rainbow...drug free. Unfortunately and slightly regrettably (especially for the coral), I am afraid the odds are greater that I'm left tasting the sweet sweet flavor of failure mixed with a little bit of lunch-hour-parking-lot-sobbing. As demonstrated by my recreational kickball and college dating record, I am not a stranger to the crushing notion of defeat, however, in this specific instance I imagine it has the distinctive flavor profile of ODB's socks mixed with a little bit of used cat liter. Speaking of Skittles at some point America needs to have a conversation about the Skittles commercial where the Rasta man is milking a giraffe. I don't know what, but something needs to be said. 

Honestly, I haven't been this excited about a coral in like several weeks**. Not because I have the myopic memory of a goldfish, but rather because despite looking for several years, this is the first trachy of this quality where the price actually matched my tax bracket...which is really bigly impressive if you happen to live under the overpass one exit down from mine... exit 34a's exit ramp is a real dump compared to 33b. Those clowns live like peasants... don't even have a proper shopping buggy... losers. 

**since @mitten_reef sent me those insane black suns

Unfortunately, while this process is in the patent pending stages, I'm afraid I can't fully give away my trade secrets (not at least before my late night infomercial debuts, where a sassy co-host and I shameless ask you to pay (in four easy installments, obvi) $19.99 to learn how to incoherently rant and not proofread). Fortunately (and honestly a bit generously),  I am willing to a offer a little window into my creative process: 

1) Alcohol: enough where you accuse the cat of stealing your wallet, but not too much where you are discovered sleeping in your neighbors shed. 

2) Slight illiteracy: if you live in Louisiana, you automatically qualify. If not, here is a quick test,  do you know the difference between who and whom. You get extra points if you're pretty sure whom isn't a real word. Because it's not, it's a fake word made up by the deep-state elites, to trick you into believing in leap year. 

3) Truck stop hot dogs. It's hard to be a creative on an empty stomach. It's even worse if you fill that stomach full of bad nutrition. That's why I stick to truck stop hot dogs. The subtle combination of nitrates and sodium acts like a soothing massage to help your brain to function at it's best. 

You're welcome.

Mediocre pictures!! 

It was so fuzzy yesterday!

DSC_0009.thumb.jpeg.dcaedefc571053868b0b31bb55240084.jpeg

One single polyp:

DSC_0085.thumb.jpeg.c0b5c89646740ab9bfefc052b4dcce7a.jpeg

Bargain bin acans... to only acans that don't turn red for me. 

643384796_DSC_0113(1).thumb.jpeg.62ba989208c3953f192c2508f1e2b0a1.jpeg

Whoa that purple and green acan is amazing!!!!! If you ever frag that can I contribute to your bank account for a piece?? 

Unfortunately I can only claim ex Louisiana resident status, as a northern louisiyankee. But my family still lives there. However they do impress upon us the difference between who and whom and the correct use thereof, so I may be disqualified. The alcohol part is iffy because I never manage to drink enough to be fun and pay for it horrible after. As for the horrible nutrition- there’s nothing that beats the drive to eat some kind of artery clogging, A fib initiating, lard laden nasty fast food crack goodness on the way home from work after 12 hours of keeping small humanoids alive. McDonald’s ketchup and mustardy double cheeseburgers are a vice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
mitten_reef
25 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Just saying....why ol'school grafted, when you could have reserved space for this (at least that's what I'm looking for anyway)??

WWC Sunfire Grafted Montipora Cap

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Just saying....why ol'school grafted, when you could have reserved space for this (at least that's what I'm looking for anyway)??

WWC Sunfire Grafted Montipora Cap

I have this one. It's a mixed bag. For me, the red dominated most of the growth and I only have a few small specks of green. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
2 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

I have this one. It's a mixed bag. For me, the red dominated most of the growth and I only have a few small specks of green. 

welp, that solves the problem on where I'll be getting mine...😁

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

welp, that solves the problem on where I'll be getting mine...😁

I think you're the only person that's ever said they wanted one. It's probably one of the most overlooked corals when people come visit. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
19 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

I think you're the only person that's ever said they wanted one. It's probably one of the most overlooked corals when people come visit. 

my first SPS love is monti - I even started a "monti love" thread a while back, https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/382820-montipora-show-some-love-for-your-montis/.  so they always hold special/reserved spots in my tank 🙂.  But as I slowly become (already am?) an acro-head, there are only a few select monti's that I still won't mind squeezing them in.    

• Like 4
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

my first SPS love is monti - I even started a "monti love" thread a while back, https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/382820-montipora-show-some-love-for-your-montis/.  so they always hold special/reserved spots in my tank 🙂.  But as I slowly become (already am?) an acro-head, there are only a few select monti's that I still won't mind squeezing them in.    

Nice. I've always wanted to be successful with those encrusting montis like beach bum or kunpao, but I can't seem to grow them very well. I have a "phoenix" monti and in the 1.5 years it's been in my tank, it's grown like 2" from .5". 

• Like 2
Cannedfish

Some shoddy pictures for your Thursday viewing...

Still alive...

2274505F-0140-4B92-B008-0016ADEAF648.jpeg

Digi in the moonlight:

55A95B13-283D-4211-8ACC-0900BBB092C0.jpeg

RR CrazyT beginning to color up:

C06FE394-F28B-4A64-954E-F799A9E6A07E.jpeg

Evil Cyphastrea

D01B7803-E032-440B-8E03-DF1550C18C18.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Wow 4
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

Some shoddy pictures for your Thursday viewing...

Still alive...

2274505F-0140-4B92-B008-0016ADEAF648.jpeg

Digi in the moonlight:

55A95B13-283D-4211-8ACC-0900BBB092C0.jpeg

RR CrazyT beginning to color up:

Evil Cyphastrea

D01B7803-E032-440B-8E03-DF1550C18C18.jpeg

Now that is a macro shot of cyphastrea 😳

My god that trachyphyllia is heart stopping

• Like 4
mitten_reef

I don't think you'll have enough room to appreciate this one grown out, please bag and ship it to me ASAP, TIA.  😂 

these photos are insane!!  

• Like 1
Cannedfish
57 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Now that is a macro shot of cyphastrea 😳

My god that trachyphyllia is heart stopping

I'm not one to not self defecate deprecate... but wait till you see it from above... 

52 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I don't think you'll have enough room to appreciate this one grown out, please bag and ship it to me ASAP, TIA.  😂 

these photos are insane!!  

Don't worry this thing is plenty small to fit in my tank... But assuming I don't kill it, you get the first cut!

10 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

So beautiful I am truly jealous 

Thanks! Now I just have to make sure I don't kill before I can show it off!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
ECLS Reefer

I'm not one to not self defecate deprecate... but wait till you see it from above... 

Don't worry this thing is plenty small to fit in my tank... But assuming I don't kill it, you get the first cut!

Thanks! Now I just have to make sure I don't kill before I can show it off!

Please.... they make special underwear for that. No need for skids marks. 👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 5/18/2020 at 8:17 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

Is that like.... 0FA22744-85B8-4C97-A5ED-AFC009C84CAD.jpeg.14c020f1b153980a9912d321ffa29a6d.jpeg

But have you read the beginning of the thread and enjoyed the chicken sagas parts 1 though. Uhhh??? 3 maybe.. I can't remember it's been so long since the last release.  Pure gold but just like my man George r r Martin left me hanging for 3 years waiting for dances with dragons this guy over here is a tease..🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ same on him...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
Cannedfish

Really need to do an update and reply to comments... but in the meantime here are some shoddy quick pics:

Always grumpy:

52E1F5A6-8E6C-4FB9-B3D5-C21460A808A8.jpeg

Just a bucket of nubs (which is also my band's name):

F5DE4CA1-75D7-4274-83ED-D281AEBAB996.jpeg

Trying hard to kill it:

79A1CFC2-CFC3-4B70-AE5B-2AF7BF7F92E5.jpeg

Echinatas are crazy up close, kinda bland from afar 

4A62ACC2-7653-4B2B-8592-45AB589E2742.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 5
mitten_reef

there's an aiptasia in the foreground - IN THE SAND!  All you need to do is scoop this guy out, it'd be the easiest aiptasia removal process yet. well, unless it anchors to the glass, but i doubt it.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
3 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Really need to do an update and reply to comments... but in the meantime here are some shoddy quick pics:

Always grumpy:

52E1F5A6-8E6C-4FB9-B3D5-C21460A808A8.jpeg

Just a bucket of nubs (which is also my band's name):

F5DE4CA1-75D7-4274-83ED-D281AEBAB996.jpeg

Trying hard to kill it:

Echinatas are crazy up close, kinda bland from afar 

4A62ACC2-7653-4B2B-8592-45AB589E2742.jpeg

What kind of fish is that?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

A poisonous one...………….. :biggrin: having a brain fart cant remember the name...……...

• Haha 1
Cannedfish
10 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

5 minutes ago, spectra said:

A poisonous one...………….. :biggrin: having a brain fart cant remember the name...……...

Haha! Red Rooster Pygmy Waspfish also known as the Bandtail waspfish! Small but mighty, and yes, venomous!

04A4B15D-E558-4BDE-AAD6-F27E3FBA6D29.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1