Innovative Marine Aquariums

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

13 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I love walking dendros!!!!!  It’s great to see another person with one. Be prepared to either make sure there is nothing so sting it if it wanders, or make it a pen. I made a pen out of epoxy. 

I may have to hit you up for some advice!

8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I'm really looking forward to the humorous writing potential in a walking dendro :lol:

I already have enough trouble with immobile coral, granting one mobility seems like a less than ideal idea. It's like giving a toddler a rascal... and a taser.

UPDATE:

As yesterday's awkward car photo alludes to, I managed to get my grimy paws on a walking dendro, and as expected I have some mostly obtuse & useless comments. First off, let's get something straight: much like Rhode Island, the walking dendro is neither a dendro nor walks. While not quite as misleading as Sea Monkeys (spoiler: they're brine shrimp), it was a bit shocking to discover that they are not, in fact, floppy orange dendros with muscularly-toned-man legs. Rather a "walking dendro" is basically a brownish-green duncan with a worm-powered car (2), which is hilarious in its own right. 

So far, the worm-powered duncan  (WPD) is doing really well. With in minutes of being added to the tank its scraggly brown-tentacles were inflated (& creeping Blenwood out), and it accepted food immediately thereafter. It has yet to move, but I'm hoping the worm, being from Australia, is just recovering from a bender (and not dead). It would be a bummer to get a wormless worm-powered ducan (3), but I will keep everyone updated.

Anyways, here is a really grainy picture of the new WPD, which I have named Jamal (4). Yup, Jamal, the worm-powered duncan. You have to admit, it as a certain "je ne sais quoi" ring to it. Also, as a bonus, and because it's Mardi Gras (and I'm not yet a "drunken train wreck wandering St. Charles Ave. at 3:30 am without shoes wearing tights and an entirely too small marching band jacket in search of a hotdog" mode), I have included a couple pictures from the Krewe of Barkus parade this weekend, in which the pup's won "The most Twin-ly" Award. I dressed as Captain Hook, NBD.

IMG_0117.thumb.jpg.c016d99b076c9004a803d8339da93055.jpg

IMG_0085.thumb.jpg.7c8d7ef20acdae59c2574fdc2a354928.jpg

Doggo.thumb.jpg.357fd9db5bb9a9df24d5fe7cb068aad3.jpg

FOOTNOTES:

(1) Sadly they cannot do this.

(2) I'm not a scientist, but apparently the evolution went as such: After years of jealously watching fish swim by, an enterprising young duncan went into its garage, and following many long sleepless nights, endless pots of coffee, countless chalkboard equations, and a nearly failed marriage, did what other corals said was impossible: solved the mobility conundrum by harnessing the impressive power of (wait for it!)...(drum roll!).... the peanut worm. Yup, the peanut worm. That's exactly why coral will not take over the world... &#*$@! peanut worms...stupid.

(3) The ultimate white girl problem. 

(4) Sure I could have called it Steven Tyler or Johnny Cash or Charlie Reid (deep reference) but that's low hanging fruit, Jamal is just hilarious.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • 2 weeks later...

I apologize for the lack of updates, however, I have haphazardly spent the last fortnight living the high life while gallivanting around the Moroccan countryside on the lam from Mardi Gras. To clarify this near disaster:  by countryside I mean middle of the Sahara Desert, and by high life, I mean... tent. And while I may have not been fully hoodwinked, I do feel the description given when I agreed to go to this 'luxury resort' was a bit like my Tinder profile... a liberal and optimistic interpretation of reality... I guess karma's a bitch. Anyways, while I may have not had internet, I was pretty much drowning in nearly every other five-star amenity: an in tent Jacuzzi (bucket o' water and a bowl), chauffeured car service (a camel), premium location (two hours from the nearest road), properly trained English butlers (Berber nomads), and the finest manicured grounds (sand, lots of sand).  Never one to shy away from a challenge, I awkwardly hand motioned the nearest nomad to "hold my beer" (the language barrier made the whole scene significantly less dramatic), I went full Sheryl Sandberg. What mean is leaned into the desert vagabond lifestyle...hard. At this point I can wrap a turban and wear a djalaba like I was born for it. See below.

Camel.thumb.jpg.ee92c351cc281f9d958cc907601facda.jpg

Now, to the bar... err... tank!

Following the last experience with our housekeeper and my freshwater tank (where TJ either was attempting to nuke the tank or genuinely believed that fish were not happily unless the tank bottom was fully and evenly carpeted with a quarter inch of fish food) I sat Blenwood down and in my sternest Dad voice, told him I was concerned about his weight, and that he was going to have to go on a two week diet.  After a few minutes of arguing about the effectiveness of a juice cleanse and lambasting the GOOP lifestyle (apparently, the only thing Blenwood loves more than Croissants and Totinos Pizza Rolls is Gwyneth Paltrow), he demurely agree that not feeding while I was away was in his best interest. Although, I fully expected to come home to tank situation that would best be described as 'apocalyptic', I was shocked to find that everything more or less made it. Though, there appears to be some bleaching at the base edge of three acros ( I'm afraid it may be STN, advice welcome), I'm hopeful that with a few weeks of TLC they can be fixed. Furthermore, the worm-powered duncan has finally managed to jump start its worm and is now carelessly zooming around the tank, successfully angering all tank floor inhabitants (especially Randy Clam who can be heard muttering expletives as the WPD recklessly scoots by).

I know I owe everyone a FTS, however, it's been hectic since been back, and in the meantime here's a poorly edited picture of the  pink sun coral (happily adjusting to the tank) and unknown acro that has starting to really color up. 

IMG_1154.thumb.jpg.038edfdda0956f1c2f3a5968c27d799c.jpg

IMG_1156.thumb.jpg.4ccc26056ebb31f4af25bd18b2a619e3.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 1

Age old tale: went to the LFS for some innocuous item (fish food), came home significantly poorer without the aforementioned item. As said before, the only thing I can't resist is temptation. 

IMG_1165.thumb.jpg.83cc061e64fa342d7bb9c605dfdda2dc.jpg

Anyways, the highway robbery included: 

1) A mysterious frag of pectinia. It was laying in the frag tank unattached to anything.  Maybe it was just lost, but I believe it was a piece of the larger tri-color-space-invadery looking colony they had for sale, however, per usual (and not unlike my a drug dealer) the fish hustler enabling my addiction was aloof to its true identity. Currently, it's looking a bit drab, but hopefully it colors up... and doesn't die (on the other hand, there isn't a coral I can't kill). From the tales I've heard, I am a bit concerned about its sweepers, however, in the current placement the only thing it can really light up is the zoas rock, and I call that Unloved Zoa Island for a reason (those, peace lovin' doobie smokin' no-good hippy rastas are in for a rude surprise...).

IMG_1194.thumb.jpg.5d2d2aaf4747ee533bb9fb2523747b66.jpg

2) Black sun coral, which is a dumb oxymoron-ic name. Thus, I'm calling them night coral (Ha! Get it?!). Sorry for the really bad picture, these are hard to capture, but trust me (generally a bad idea) they look awesome. 

IMG_1211.thumb.jpg.42211ffc1babb62dadec87f908621013.jpg

3) An acro crab. But seeing that I haven't seen him since I gently placed him in the tank... c'est la vie.

• Like 6

Night corals are BEAUTIFUL, but also supposedly very hard to keep alive. I don't believe that last part though. I've had mine for 2 years now, started as 10 or so heads and I think it's got 12 heads plus a number of babies popping out. Keep it fed and it will be happy! I have a cut up 2-liter bottle I "cage" it in at feeding time so my fish and shrimp don't steal food from it's mouth! 

• Like 1

At the rate you’re adding things, I think you need a new and bigger tank.

Blenwood probably wants one of those lagoon 25 McMansion. He needs room to entertain his buddies and, more importantly, his lady friends. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
On 2/22/2018 at 8:46 AM, kimberbee said:

Night corals are BEAUTIFUL, but also supposedly very hard to keep alive. I don't believe that last part though. I've had mine for 2 years now, started as 10 or so heads and I think it's got 12 heads plus a number of babies popping out. Keep it fed and it will be happy! I have a cut up 2-liter bottle I "cage" it in at feeding time so my fish and shrimp don't steal food from it's mouth! 

Thanks! I pumped to hear that. I hesitated purchasing the black variety for awhile because of that very reputation that you mentioned, opting instead to test out the pink sun corals (which don't have the best reputation themselves). After seeing the pink sun corals... wait that name is also stupid... After seeing the sunset corals (much better) thrive, I decided to give em' try, and frankly they have been out and seemingly happy (and eating voraciously) from the jump. This all could be ruse, and they might be in fact biding their time before off themselves, but for now I'm hopefully. 

On 2/22/2018 at 8:52 AM, markalot said:

Oh my,

I did not follow this thread, completely missing out.  Great tank, looking forward to see it progress! 

I appreciate the props! It's definitely not, nor ever will be, as nice as your tank, but after a significant amount of counselling and copious amounts of bourbon (just kidding, the bourbon is the counselling, healthy right?), I have come to terms with this inevitable fact. I just hope that one day I can bamboozle a pink birdsnest into looking as absolutely stunning as yours. Not unlike a 6 year old girl, I just want my Barbie Birdsnest! And dammit, I'm even prepared enact nuclear option if necessarily: don't think I won't throw an all-out-screaming-thrash-on-the-floor-snotty-tear-soaked-Walmart-aisle tantrum if it comes to that!

16 hours ago, silvertoe said:

These new corals make my man parts tingle. 

That't the kinda of chutzpah I like to hear! Just make sure it's not your cell phone ringing... or (not talking from experience)... the clap.

15 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

At the rate you’re adding things, I think you need a new and bigger tank.

Blenwood probably wants one of those lagoon 25 McMansion. He needs room to entertain his buddies and, more importantly, his lady friends. 

Blenwood like any self respecting rap artist, reality TV celebrity, professional athlete, or politician 100% needs a McMansion. More specifically, a McMansion with a ridiculous amount of roof lines, oddly colored brick work, ill-proportioned windows, and columns that don't fit with the overall aesthetic. It would be a additional plus if it was decorated in a classy mixture of burgundy floral prints, 1950's Las Vegas, and terrible, with at least one questionable piece of "art" depicting a nude woman in a awkwardly sensual pose (because nothing "stirs" the appetite and loins like that thing hanging in the dining room). Obviously, it would be located in an Atlanta suburb, and have a three-car garage so that the 2002 pussy-magnet-yellow Mustang (i.e. disgustang) with a vanity plate wouldn't be exposed to the harsh central Georgia elements. 

With a bachelor pad like that, B-Daddy would practically need a moat to keep the ladies at bay while he and his Bros were crushin' brew-dogs and completing their Fantasy Football Draft. 

Obviously, I know nothing about this kind of thing...

• Haha 4
50 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Thanks! I pumped to hear that. I hesitated purchasing the black variety for awhile because of that very reputation that you mentioned, opting instead to test out the pink sun corals (which don't have the best reputation themselves). After seeing the pink sun corals... wait that name is also stupid... After seeing the sunset corals (much better) thrive, I decided to give em' try, and frankly they have been out and seemingly happy (and eating voraciously) from the jump. This all could be ruse, and they might be in fact biding their time before off themselves, but for now I'm hopefully. 

I appreciate the props! It's definitely not, nor ever will be, as nice as your tank, but after a significant amount of counselling and copious amounts of bourbon (just kidding, the bourbon is the counselling, healthy right?), I have come to terms with this inevitable fact. I just hope that one day I can bamboozle a pink birdsnest into looking as absolutely stunning as yours. Not unlike a 6 year old girl, I just want my Barbie Birdsnest! And dammit, I'm even prepared enact nuclear option if necessarily: don't think I won't throw an all-out-screaming-thrash-on-the-floor-snotty-tear-soaked-Walmart-aisle tantrum if it comes to that!

That't the kinda of chutzpah I like to hear! Just make sure it's not your cell phone ringing... or (not talking from experience)... the clap.

Blenwood like any self respecting rap artist, reality TV celebrity, professional athlete, or politician 100% needs a McMansion. More specifically, a McMansion with a ridiculous amount of roof lines, oddly colored brick work, ill-proportioned windows, and columns that don't fit with the overall aesthetic. It would be a additional plus if it was decorated in a classy mixture of burgundy floral prints, 1950's Las Vegas, and terrible, with at least one questionable piece of "art" depicting a nude woman in a awkwardly sensual pose (because nothing "stirs" the appetite and loins like that thing hanging in the dining room). Obviously, it would be located in an Atlanta suburb, and have a three-car garage so that the 2002 pussy-magnet-yellow Mustang (i.e. disgustang) with a vanity plate wouldn't be exposed to the harsh central Georgia elements. 

With a bachelor pad like that, B-Daddy would practically need a moat to keep the ladies at bay while he and his Bros were crushin' brew-dogs and completing their Fantasy Football Draft. 

Obviously, I know nothing about this kind of thing...

Dammit! Now I need a Barbie Birdsnest. :slap:

• Haha 1

Some real-quick-like updates for posterity sake:

1) Been a rough-ish week. I began to notice some tissue death around the base of two acros (less than ideal). After testing, I discovered my alk (unlike my 40 time) was alarmingly sub 6.0. After some water changes, and some (slow) dosing, parameters are back to where they should be. Until I manage to fine tune my dosing regimen, I am now on a daily alk testing schedule (which unfortunately significantly cuts into my after work imbibing time (ungrateful corals)). Sadly, I did lose one acro. Hopefully, the tissue lost on the other will recover. 

2) Beside the Nancy-boy acros, the other more indomitable corals decided this would be fight week. The WWC Purple Passion acro (the only non-ninny fuzz stick) absolutely lit up the toxic montipora which had been doing its best Chamillionaire impression, and creepin' up on it for a minute; while the teeny orange and blue chalice, after apparently listening to too much Kanye & Jay-Z, just went H.A.M. on its neighbor (a button scoly). Luckily, I was able to move the scoly before too much damage was inflicted, and that sissy has been relegated to the sand bed till it's learns to be less namby-pamby and more Tanya Harding (we encourage chicanery, skullduggery, and certaintly subterfuge in this house!). For those taking score at home: Acros > Montis; Chalice > Scoly; Cyphastrea > Monti.

3) The Worm-Powered Duncan continues to scoot around.

4) Cheap purchases: red finger gorgonian (see below), yellow finger gorgonian (it wasn't looking great at the LFS, so I took a $5 flyer (50:1 odds it makes it)), yellow tipped tabling acro.

5) Painful  Ill-advised "Doing my part to help the economy" purchases: WWC After Party Acro, SC Orange Passion Acro.

6) Blenwood is still dangerously good looking. 

Weekly Shoddy Photos (the only thing anyone looks at anyways):

Red Finger Gorg:

Gorg.thumb.jpg.57f84015099a31f81effd42fe6ce1fee.jpg

Painfully expensive frags:

5a96c2e0551b4_WWCAfterSCOrangebags.thumb.jpg.da48d3cd0ea0bda46978c81e978b0385.jpg

The Taco (why not):

Trachy.thumb.jpg.b60075f2f3233819a154ff6ca242c172.jpg

• Like 6

Sorry to hear you are experiencing coral fight club. 

It's a little surprising that there isn't a master thread on coral warfare and who beats who. It'd be useful information, and not just for staging shady underground coral fight rings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
8 hours ago, Rene said:

It's a little surprising that there isn't a master thread on coral warfare and who beats who. It'd be useful information, and not just for staging shady underground coral fight rings. 

The first of rule of coral fight club is... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, Rene said:

It’s disturbing but I chuckle at the image of a bunch of people gathered around a small tank in a dingy smoke filled basement holding up money and betting stubs yelling erratically while a chalice slowly takes on a cyphastrea. It’s  funny not only because of I pure nerd obsurdity, but because the fight would literally take weeks... For the record, I would put a space invader pectinia up up against anything... 

4 hours ago, KurtS said:

The first of rule of coral fight club is... ;)

Quote of the day. Congratulations, I almost fell off the treadmill at the gym this morning when I saw this. 

Since everyone likes pictures:

C8956BF6-C787-4D66-8BC4-BB3BF6DF6841.jpeg

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

It’s disturbing but I chuckle at the image of a bunch of people gathered around a small tank in a dingy smoke filled basement holding up money and betting stubs yelling erratically while a chalice slowly takes on a cyphastrea. It’s  funny not only because of I pure nerd obsurdity, but because the fight would literally take weeks... 

I can answer this:  If the cyphastrea frag is small, it'll be gone overnight. 

Don't ask me how I know. 

Also: Ooooh, pictures!

Edit:  After some further thought and codeine cough syrup, I decided this was a good idea. Fight club memes also welcome. 

Edited by Rene
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Update time!

I have spent the last week doing my absolute best attempting to treat my tank in manner that would be acceptable to a Guantanamo prison guard but likely receive a stern letter from the International Criminal Court (1). Those who read this thread (2), you will remember, or now be reminded, that I have been haphazardly battling alk issues. For a whole week (3), like a well trained cabana boy, I diligently tested, adjusted, tested, gave sensual foot rubs to, and dosed the tank, and by Friday, my alk problem, much like Bruce Jenner's manhood, was a thing of the past. Between the awkward foot messages and testing, however, I completely lost sight of my salt mixing and and salinity testing, and unlike anything that remotely has to do with either Bruce or Caitlyn, managed to complete a 10% water change using not-saltwater. For those keeping score at home, this is why I don't have children. Through some miracle of god(s), or more likely attributable to the ill-advised weird black magic potions I purchased abroad, nothing has died. So now I am slowly trying to the tank back to where it should be. Woof. 

In other news, last weekend was Fragniappe! For those not from the state second-to-last in every national performance indicator (thanks, Mississippi!), Fragniappe is a frag swap, who's title is a play on the Louisiana word of Lagniappe, which essentially means "a little something extra." (4) Now I understand, that outside of cheese grits and college football, the South doesn't have the best track of getting many things right, however when it comes to the phrases "y'all" and "lagniappe," the South effing nailed it. If you're from north of Dixie, and not already doing so, you really need to do yourself a favor and incorporate these words into your everyday life. Take it from a no-good-carpet-baggin' Yankee, you'll be glad you did. Anyway, Fragniappe was great! I wish I had taken some pictures, but I was too busy awkwardly ogling at coral like a teenage boy handed a Playboy and otherwise doing my best to lower my credit score . At the end of the day the haul included:  a Walt Disney acro (see above); a hyper pink milli;  a rainbow rock flower nem (5);  some fat head dendros; and a forest fire digi, which is awesome because I already have zero real estate left in my tank. Welp, I think that's about everything that happened last week... except maybe for the story of my car getting totaled after being hit by a stolen car involved in a shootout and being chased by police... yep, now that's everything.  

Enough with the crappy prose already, on to the only-slightly-less-crappy pictures!! 

IMG_1287.thumb.jpg.add47a0262b965dc56b9c0ef5ce36876.jpg

IMG_1258.thumb.jpg.208bef3346eec421a1a8648f210b32e3.jpg

IMG_1239.thumb.jpg.b0fd3af6f536bfe37ebd7d4105478d68.jpg

Foot (message) notes:

(1) If, however, you are a belligerent dictator, a letter from the ICC is basically like receiving a gold star on your 3rd grade spelling test... definitely something to stick on the fridge with the special National Park magnetic mom let you pick out last summer on the family road trip (and dammit, smokey the bear was a good, no a great,  pick)

(2) and thus apparently like torture strong interrogation methods 

(3) which in the current news cycle is like six months (seriously, go read last weeks paper)
(4) it's from the Spanish, (not the French) surprise!

(5) which lasted a total of 5 minutes before being gruesomely devoured by the Acan Echinata... c'est la vie 

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
49 minutes ago, Rene said:

I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry?  Congratulations?  I'm jealous?  Are you ok?

I think that about covers it. 

Weirdly that is exactly what I want to write on a card every time a friend gives birth. Obviously, that card would have a kitten in a cowboy hat on the front of it. 

• Like 2

I think acros can handle the salinity changes better than other corals, oddly enough.  Maybe because of where they grow?    

What I have to watch for now is high salinity.  With my 2 part dosing being so large the salinity tends to creep up measurably each month.  

• Like 2
On 3/7/2018 at 5:43 AM, markalot said:

I think acros can handle the salinity changes better than other corals, oddly enough.  Maybe because of where they grow?    

What I have to watch for now is high salinity.  With my 2 part dosing being so large the salinity tends to creep up measurably each month.  

I think your right, beside my red dragon, none of my other acros seem overly pissed. My plate coral and trachy, on the other hand, seem pretty upset. That could be the result of  a month and a half of screw ups on my part. Hopefully, things are under control and everything thing will continue to color up. I'm trying to pull out a quarter of the colors that you are able to get, which is just simply amazing. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
46 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I think your right, beside my red dragon, none of my other acros seem overly pissed. My plate coral and trachy, on the other hand, seem pretty upset. That could be the result of  a month and a half of screw ups on my part. Hopefully, things are under control and everything thing will continue to color up. I'm trying to pull out a quarter of the colors that you are able to get, which is just simply amazing. 

Here's my attempt at giving an advice, possibly my first - takes it with a grain of salt.  Let the tank do its thing - yeah, shocker.   Most of the best looking tanks on here, like @HarryPotter's or @markalot's, or @teenyreef's 10-gallon tank, have all been running for years.  And their tanks have matured into each own sweet spots.  In the meantime, just be sure to be consistent about everything, keeping parameters in check, routine maintenance, etc.  Consistency is key to success in this hobby, many people seem to like to rush things.  My current tank is 3+ years in-the-making, granted it went through a couple overhauls with tank upgrades.  Your tank is shaping up to be great as long as you keep at it, I have yet to read any major oops on your tank journal, until these water changes with unsalted water.  

As far as coloring up the corals, I assumed you're talking about mostly SPS color issue. Here are a few things to keep in mind, or do a bit of a research on, in no particular order:

• r u dosing any liquid supplements, like acropower, aquavitro fuel, or similar? 
  • r u feeding them for any particulate food, like reef roid? 
  • How much further can you push your light?  Most acros and SPS love light, but be mindful of the PAR (do your own research on this too).  I'd say I noticed significant changes in mine once my tank got a little shallower (i.e. it has better light penetration).  
  • what are your means of nutrient exports?  Is it adequate?  

First, I appreciate and clearly need all the advice/help I can get. Second, as stated before, your tank is awesome, so obviously you know what you're doing. I completely agree about the stability, however, for whatever reason the last two months have been much like the emotional aberrations of a teenage schoolgirl, a veritable roller-coaster of instability. Much like a sadistic version of Whack-A-Mole, whenever it seems I have beaten one rodent-ish issue, another problem rears its buck-toothed little head. And as a result, the tank has constantly felt like its been teetering on the precipice of utter disaster.  Hopefully though, I'm past these issue and this shizz can get back on track. To answer your questions about coloring up corals:

Dosing: 2x drops of the following daily: KZ acroglow (*$&@(@$ expensive!), KZ Pohl's Extra, KZ Coral Vitalizer, KZ LPS Amino Acids, KZ Sponge Power, Microbactur7 (got rid of all hair algae, DT's Phytoplankton. I also dose alk, depending on my levels. 

Daily feeding: quarter cube of mysis, similar amount of Rod's, a few sinking pellets, and a tiny bit of reef roids all mixed up and target fed.

Lighting: the AI Prime HD is pretty much maxed out (UV: 119%, V: 116%, RB: 79%, B: 80%, G: 4%, R:4%, CW 25%), I do keep a glass lid over the tank, which with condensation diffuses some of the light, I am thinking of adding a second AI Prime HD, however, I'm not sure if this would be too much light (a Hyda 26 would look better but I already have one AI Prime). 

Nutrient Export: Protein skimmer, filter floss (change every other day), Poly Filter (change weekly), Carbon + Phosguard media bag (change weekly), Purigen (change quarterly), I also do a daily 3/4 of a gallon water change, and 30%-40% weekly water change. 

I think overall and echoing your advice, the tank just needs time. I have only been in the SPS game since early September, I just need to be patient and let them do their thing. Basically, do less, drink more, don't be an idiot. 

• Like 2