Coral Vue Hydros

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

After battling the tumble ricordea for months, I grew tired of looking at a hideous corralline covered cup, threw in the proverbial towel, and gave up. In reality, I just went to the LFS and traded the tired old hag in for an a shiny new rainbow-ish looking acan. I do, however, feel a little dirty about the whole process. The recordea was one of my first coral-ish things, and trading it in felt kinda funny (or whatever you people with principals and morals feel). On the upside, I image this is what well-heeled-speedo-wearing octogenarians experience when they trade their second spouses in for the new "early-20's fresh off their shift on the country club's beverage cart" model. But whatever, in the immortal words of Bender Rodriguez "emotions are dumb, and should be hated." Either way, here is a photo of the new acan with poorly adjusted white-balance. 

IMG_0359.thumb.jpg.9d264216732832d3761ffe51e9fc91a6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
On 11/8/2017 at 10:30 AM, Cannedfish said:

After battling the tumble ricordea for months, I grew tired of looking at a hideous corralline covered cup, threw in the proverbial towel, and gave up. In reality, I just went to the LFS and traded the tired old hag in for an a shiny new rainbow-ish looking acan. I do, however, feel a little dirty about the whole process. The recordea was one of my first coral-ish things, and trading it in felt kinda funny (or whatever you people with principals and morals feel). On the upside, I image this is what well-heeled-speedo-wearing octogenarians experience when they trade their second spouses in for the new "early-20's fresh off their shift on the country club's beverage cart" model. But whatever, in the immortal words of Bender Rodriguez "emotions are dumb, and should be hated." Either way, here is a photo of the new acan with poorly adjusted white-balance. 

IMG_0359.thumb.jpg.9d264216732832d3761ffe51e9fc91a6.jpg

I'd say you got the better end of that trade-in! :lol:

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'd say you got the better end of that trade-in! :lol:

Thanks! Now I just have to keep it alive. Despite my best efforts, the tumble ricordea was indestructible. 

In completely unrelated news, I think its safe to say that bourbon and ebay coral auctions shouldn't mix. Woof.

• Haha 3

Below is the latest FTS. I will update the first post (for comparison) as soon as I create a Flickr account, which may take a minute, because... apparently I don't have an assistant.

In other news, tonight is a bit like Christmas Eve because last week I decided it was a great idea to compound one questionable decision with additional more equally questionable decisions (this is the same logic that may (or may not) have caused me to crash a scooter in Croatia). Mainly, I thought it was a good idea to: 1) sip Buffalo Trace at an OCMS concert while bidding on NR's newest sponsor's (@aquasd) ebay listings; 2) mistakenly hand the phone over to my ladyfried, who likes to spend "all the monies;"  3) accidentally win some things only to have to aggressively bid on more item's to "bring down the shipping cost" (the economics worked in my head (also apparently I don't know economics)); 3) purchase more items on their website the next day because allegedly I hadn't been "sipping "Buffalo Trace the night before, and it was better than actual work;  3) discover they were having a forum sale (or whatever it's called) the following-following-day in which I said "what the hell senõr, put it in the cart." So now we're here and you're tired of reading, so an update will come tomorrow. 

IMG_0362.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
11 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Below is the latest FTS. I will update the first post (for comparison) as soon as I create a Flickr account, which may take a minute, because... apparently I don't have an assistant.

In other news, tonight is a bit like Christmas Eve because last week I decided it was a great idea to compound one questionable decision with additional more equally questionable decisions (this is the same logic that may (or may not) have caused me to crash a scooter in Croatia). Mainly, I thought it was a good idea to: 1) sip Buffalo Trace at an OCMS concert while bidding on NR's newest sponsor's (@aquasd) ebay listings; 2) mistakenly hand the phone over to my ladyfried, who likes to spend "all the monies;"  3) accidentally win some things only to have to aggressively bid on more item's to "bring down the shipping cost" (the economics worked in my head (also apparently I don't know economics)); 3) purchase more items on their website the next day because allegedly I hadn't been "sipping "Buffalo Trace the night before, and it was better than actual work;  3) discover they were having a forum sale (or whatever it's called) the following-following-day in which I said "what the hell senõr, put it in the cart." So now we're here and you're tired of reading, so an update will come tomorrow. 

IMG_0362.JPG

Whew!  Just caught up....... that was a lot of words. Tank looks good though. :)  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

IMG_0362.JPG

:lol: yeah...weve all been there.

It gets worse before it gets better.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Whew!  Just caught up....... that was a lot of words. Tank looks good though. :)  

15 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

OP likes words 

We done just learned our letters and figures down yonder, thought best to put 'em to use! Plus I'm trying to fill that unexplored niche in the tank journals forum, mainly: 1) excessive bad dad jokes, 2) overly complicated non-applicable obtuse analogies, 3) a mediocre (at-best) tank. Personally, I think I'm nailing each of those stated goals. 

14 hours ago, Droy008 said:

It gets worse before it gets better.

If I had a dollar for every time the urgent care physician has told me that right before writing a 'script for some clinical-trial strength antibiotics... I'd probably be pouring something better than 'Early Times' in my morning coffee. 

IN EQUALLY IMPORTANT NEWS:

Box.png

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

IMG_0362.JPG

In both cases, I feel in a parallel universe.

On one world, I am listening to late night tv which I can’t understand because I did not take that course in school.

The other parallel universe is a kaleidoscope of colors that tell me, I am on a real LSD trip.  Congratulations on this monolith.  Is there a name?

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

We done just learned our letters and figures down yonder, thought best to put 'em to use! Plus I'm trying to fill that unexplored niche in the tank journals forum, mainly: 1) excessive bad dad jokes, 2) overly complicated non-applicable obtuse analogies, 3) a mediocre (at-best) tank. Personally, I think I'm nailing each of those stated goals. 

If I had a dollar for every time the urgent care physician has told me that right before writing a 'script for some clinical-trial strength antibiotics... I'd probably be pouring something better than 'Early Times' in my morning coffee. 

IN EQUALLY IMPORTANT NEWS:

Box.png

tenor.gif%20

tenor.gif?itemid=3561440

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, benstatic said:

Looks like a whole lot of action going on there in NO.

I like the tank, and B$ 

I'm not sure if this is where you were going, but at the moment you're B-Wood's number one and only fan! Congrats! I was in the running for awhile, but technically I'm his chef, maid, bellman, assistant, spokesman, bookie, psychic, and oddly enough, tailor? As a result I was disqualified. B-Dollar, despite his name, however, is a cheap bastard, so I doubt you will win anything (TBD). 

You're right, apart from the usual debauchery, there's a lot going on in the Big Dirty (not just crooked politicians and Girls Gone Wild promo videos). In fact, at the moment, there is literally no more room for additional frags in the spacious IM10. I will say, however, the frags that showed up today from @AquaSD arrived in great shape and look awesome! The freebie wasn't bad either.

I will try to post pics as soon as I'm able to take a  competent photo, which considering my photography skills, might take a minute.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

In fact, at the moment, there is literally no more room for additional frags in the spacious IM10. 

And this boys and girls is how reef tanks reproduce!

You could probably get a used 10-20g for free and some acryllic of eBay. Boom! New DIY AIO tank for $15. 

87638_v1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

And this boys and girls is how reef tanks reproduce!

You could probably get a used 10-20g for free and some acryllic of eBay. Boom! New DIY AIO tank for $15. 

87638_v1.jpg

Damnit! This is why we can't have nice things!

• Haha 1

I tried my best. Well no, to be honest, I kinda gave it slightly less than a half-ass'd effort. Either way, below are the only photos of a couple of the frags I received from @AquaSDthat look remotely like they're supposed to instead of a blurry LSD flashback. That being said, all of the frags arrived looking pretty good, especially the fat head dendro, who showed up in a tank top with a bottle of Cuervo and some sketchy fireworks ready to party (bless his heart). Aside from the dendro, below are a couple button scolys, which I know literally nothing about (if you know anything (size, placement, favorite movie), please share). I also received some fun acros, a pretty neat-o lobo (named Rebecca, which needs to color up a bit), an acan, and some packing peanuts. Needless to say, I will be eating ramen for the rest of the week. 

Par-tay Dendro!!

IMG_0364.thumb.JPG.e50acf4b9393dd26a7cc9266f8a79e16.JPG

Mysterious Button Scolys (so tiny)!!

IMG_0365.thumb.JPG.0f71af8cc0c96c2d0eda0fa2778b68b5.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

It's beena relatively slow week for the ole box o' water. Heavy feeding, excessive water changes, and carbon dosing has for the most part kept everyone happy (except for Blen-Money, who's life ethos is essentially akin to Mariah Carey's tour rider #Diva). Furthermore, I'm basically out of real estate, which has largely been a bummer since, 1) I'm no longer racking up Delta miles at an alarming rate, 2) as a millennial, I derive personal satisfaction from material purchases (non-millennials, this your opportunity to mutter under your breath about how terrible millennials are, on three, go!), 3) the internet at work is a lot less exciting when not scheming about overly expensive living rocks. Oh well, at least I still have craft beers (Parrish's Nova Vert...amazing), the option to go live in my parent basement (I'm kidding Mom...), and duck season. Anyway, per usual, here are some shoddy pictures, since words are for weenies (stoopid millennials). 

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

• Like 5

Yes!!! That pipefish :wub: and the shrimp is super cool too :)

I just put a baby yellow stripe in my nuvo as well (a few weeks ago) and yes, I do have space to move him when he gets bigger... :)

Has yours eaten frozen yet? Nutramar Ova as well as the soft freeze zooplankton by v2o are good foods. Nano frenzy is another great option. Can't remember if you have a powerhead or not in your display area, but if you do, please be careful because it can be dangerous. It will be great to see some updates with the new fish, thanks for sharing!

16 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Pretty!

Thanks! Unlike many things in life that I have found disappoint in person (I'm specifically looking at you, photo-shopped tinder dates and delicious looking fast food menus), this little fish-noodle, looks so much better in real life than in photos. At bare minimum, she isn't buck-toothed or served on a depressingly crushed bun. 

13 hours ago, hinnenkm said:

Yes!!! That pipefish :wub: and the shrimp is super cool too :)

I just put a baby yellow stripe in my nuvo as well (a few weeks ago) and yes, I do have space to move him when he gets bigger... :)

Has yours eaten frozen yet? Nutramar Ova as well as the soft freeze zooplankton by v2o are good foods. Nano frenzy is another great option. Can't remember if you have a powerhead or not in your display area, but if you do, please be careful because it can be dangerous. It will be great to see some updates with the new fish, thanks for sharing!

Thanks I appreciate the advice! Sadly, I don't know if she is eating frozen. I haven't seen anything to indicate that yet. I have only had her for a couple days, and most of that time she has been hiding in the rocks (which I hope is normal?), however, I have caught glimpses of her exploring at night and early in the morning. I hope its just taking a a few days to settle in, become comfortable in her new surroundings, and win over the hearts of her tank mates. 

Regarding food: When I have been feeding at night, I have been mixing up a deliciously expensive (and truthfully smelly and unappetizing) concoction of Rod's OG,Sustainable Aquatic pellets, PE Mysis, and PE Calanus (plus Reef Roid's for the immobile critters), which I target feed to the corals and then let the extra blow around (so not to dirty up the water too much). Additionally, I have been supplementing live Tigger and Tisbe pods every other day (just in case). Feeding was one of my hesitations about this species, and until she has successfully lived a couple weeks, or till I see her crushing frozen food, constant anxiety about her eating habits and health will probably continue to keep me up at night. 

Pump/wave-marker/flow: Flow is another aspect that made me hesitant about this species. I do have a Aquamai KPS in the display, and although its turned down, there is moderate amount of flow in the tank. I have read that bluestripe's are some of the best swimming pipefish (which may be like being the fastest tortoise), however, this is another thing giving me mild anxiety. Up till now, I have been worried about have too much flow, rather thank the pipefish deciding to commit hari-kari via blender, but I will add that to the list (and keep my eyes peeled). 

I will definitely keep everyone updated. Unless, however, things go real south in the next few days. In that case, I might just pull a Kevin Spacey and edit her out of my tank journal. 

• Like 3