Cultivated Reef

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

I've been searching for solutions to blue clove polyps on some of the frags in my 40g. I found a thread on using Fenbendazole. Seems to work well, you can do it in the tank (I'm dipping since it's only on some frags), but it does kill other related stuff. You may want to check it out. 

On 11/9/2018 at 4:18 PM, Reefkid88 said:

The cherry bomb is starting to color up nicely my fran !!! 

Thanks man! I can't wait for this the to get bigger, as it's one of the (non-green) acro's that looks great under both white and blue light. Plus, I don't have anything else in my tank that is anything close to as hairy! I'm blasting it with light, so hopefully it will continue to color up!

On 11/9/2018 at 6:07 PM, micoastreefing said:

I don’t know what you guys are gushing and admiring, this tank is full of bubble algae 🤣

btw, I was down in NOLA a few years ago for work. Ate at Emeril’s joint by the convention center daily, great food. Oh, and that other awesome local chef, Donald Links.

Whoa! Again that isn't bubble algae, that is very expensive and very rare Erin Green Spheroid Indo Water Lettuce! And it's all the rage right now! Especially, with idiots like me who are really dicey reef keepers but really amazing algae growers! No, but really, this bubble algae finally got to me, and I broke down this weekend and got a very tiny emeral crab. I'm terrified he will nip at the fish, so he is on a very very tight lease! 

I agree Donald Link has some mighty tasty restaurants! But then again, as attested by my waistline, NOLA has too many tasty restaurants. 

On 11/9/2018 at 11:19 PM, Lula_Mae said:

My apologies for putting such a magnificent musical melody in your mind. :lol:

It's still there....

On 11/11/2018 at 1:39 PM, teenyreef said:

I've been searching for solutions to blue clove polyps on some of the frags in my 40g. I found a thread on using Fenbendazole. Seems to work well, you can do it in the tank (I'm dipping since it's only on some frags), but it does kill other related stuff. You may want to check it out. 

I appreciate the advice! I have actually looked into Fenbendazole, however, I have a few reservations. First, I think it has the tenancy/ability to kill snails/stars/and worms and while I would welcome it killing all my vermeid snails, I afraid to risk all my micro brittles and snails (even taking some of the larger ones out of the tank first). Next, I have a ton of clove polyps (and GSP) and I'm afraid of the resulting nutrient spike that (I assume) would occur as it all died off. I would be conduct water changes throughout the process, but I can image a snowball effect that could have the potential to nuke the tank. Lastly, the biggest issue I had with the clove polyps, is that they overgrow zoas and can stunt the growth of small SPS frags. Since the have already killed all my zoas, and I think most of my acros are out of the woods as it comes to them inhibiting their growth, I think the clove polyps are kind of acting as a buffer between frags and keeping warfare down. Also I think they promote vertical acro growth as its easier than trying to encrust over them. I have heard that tuxedo urchins will mow them down, however, I haven't found a small enough urchin to try that yet. On another note, your tank photos have been killing it lately!

—————

Image time! I saw someone do this on IG and thought it was a neat idea. So without further ado, here's a not-that-well-done top-down tank frag key, it definitely doesn't include everything but does point out most of the noteworthy frags:

Top Down Labeled.png

• Like 8
  • Wow 4
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

Thanks man! I can't wait for this the to get bigger, as it's one of the (non-green) acro's that looks great under both white and blue light. Plus, I don't have anything else in my tank that is anything close to as hairy! I'm blasting it with light, so hopefully it will continue to color up!

Whoa! Again that isn't bubble algae, that is very expensive and very rare Erin Green Spheroid Indo Water Lettuce! And it's all the rage right now! Especially, with idiots like me who are really dicey reef keepers but really amazing algae growers! No, but really, this bubble algae finally got to me, and I broke down this weekend and got a very tiny emeral crab. I'm terrified he will nip at the fish, so he is on a very very tight lease! 

I agree Donald Link has some mighty tasty restaurants! But then again, as attested by my waistline, NOLA has too many tasty restaurants. 

It's still there....

I appreciate the advice! I have actually looked into Fenbendazole, however, I have a few reservations. First, I think it has the tenancy/ability to kill snails/stars/and worms and while I would welcome it killing all my vermeid snails, I afraid to risk all my micro brittles and snails (even taking some of the larger ones out of the tank first). Next, I have a ton of clove polyps (and GSP) and I'm afraid of the resulting nutrient spike that (I assume) would occur as it all died off. I would be conduct water changes throughout the process, but I can image a snowball effect that could have the potential to nuke the tank. Lastly, the biggest issue I had with the clove polyps, is that they overgrow zoas and can stunt the growth of small SPS frags. Since the have already killed all my zoas, and I think most of my acros are out of the woods as it comes to them inhibiting their growth, I think the clove polyps are kind of acting as a buffer between frags and keeping warfare down. Also I think they promote vertical acro growth as its easier than trying to encrust over them. I have heard that tuxedo urchins will mow them down, however, I haven't found a small enough urchin to try that yet. On another note, your tank photos have been killing it lately!

—————

Image time! I saw someone do this on IG and thought it was a neat idea. So without further ado, here's a not-that-well-done top-down tank frag key, it definitely doesn't include everything but does point out most of the noteworthy frags:

Top Down Labeled.png

I agree on the concerns regarding Fenbendazole. I got some and am trying it out, but only as a dip with a couple frags, with a thorough rinse before they go back in the tank. I think it would be worth it if it was truly taking over the whole tank, but it sounds like you've reached a "reasonable accommadation" with the aggressor. You appeaser! 🙂

Thanks for upping your game for the rest of us mere mortals. Now I need to go build a top down coral key...what an awesome idea! Oh, and when all your high end frags grow out let me know, as I think we can definitely do some trades, it's funny how many of eachother's frags we probably want. The only problem is with your growth rate you'll probably have frags years before I do :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm surw within no time you will have it colored up and then when your colonies grow out,you can sell me frags !!! 

I call dibs on: Cherry,Red Dragon,WD,Cali Tort and HW :happydance:

• Haha 1

It's still there....

—————

Top Down Labeled.png

Omg. I dont know if I am more impressed or scared 😮 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
HookedOnAquariums

It's still there....

—————

Top Down Labeled.png

You should starts a southern knockoff of wheres waldo called wheres blenwood

• Haha 2
HookedOnAquariums
3 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I'm surw within no time you will have it colored up and then when your colonies grow out,you can sell me frags !!! 

if were calling dibs i want to be first contact for the hawkins, red digi, and that cute little pink floyd. i will trade you that for the information on the strangest sexual trends i can pull out of high schoolers 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

It's still there....

—————

Top Down Labeled.png

I was reading about button scolys and read that they can inflate to get pretty large. Do you find this to be the case?

• Like 1
On 11/12/2018 at 3:44 PM, teenyreef said:

I agree on the concerns regarding Fenbendazole. I got some and am trying it out, but only as a dip with a couple frags, with a thorough rinse before they go back in the tank. I think it would be worth it if it was truly taking over the whole tank, but it sounds like you've reached a "reasonable accommadation" with the aggressor. You appeaser! 🙂

Thanks for upping your game for the rest of us mere mortals. Now I need to go build a top down coral key...what an awesome idea! Oh, and when all your high end frags grow out let me know, as I think we can definitely do some trades, it's funny how many of eachother's frags we probably want. The only problem is with your growth rate you'll probably have frags years before I do :lol:

I don't know if I would call it "appeasing." That sounds so... enabling. I think lazy is a better descriptor, however I would also accept: degenerate, putz, and apathetic. I am 100% down to trade, assuming I don't kill everything before they are ready. You definitely have some pieces I have my eyes on!

On 11/12/2018 at 4:01 PM, Reefkid88 said:

As soon as they are ready, and I can figure out this frag tank thing, they have your name on it! Though at the rate the HW is growing, we may all be dead by then...

On 11/12/2018 at 4:02 PM, HarryPotter said:

Omg. I dont know if I am more impressed or scared 😮 

Scared. Scared is the correct answer. 

On 11/12/2018 at 4:04 PM, HookedOnAquariums said:

You should starts a southern knockoff of wheres waldo called wheres blenwood

This is a great idea! Maybe if I get my sh#t together (unlikely... you know bourbon) I will post a weekly where's Blen-Dog photo. I like your idea of the Southern theme, so obviously the game will be called, "Shoot Earl, Done Werr Dat Dadgummit Blenwud Git Off To Now." And it will be most likely sponsored by Miller Lite and tooth decay. Let make this happen!

I feel like trading coral for teenage sex trends is likely to lead to a court mandated inability to get within 1,000 feet of a school or playground... and getting on a special list. 

On 11/12/2018 at 4:31 PM, Lula_Mae said:

I was reading about button scolys and read that they can inflate to get pretty large. Do you find this to be the case?

They definitely inflate and get larger, but how large is pretty relative. The largest I have seen one of mine (I have two) inflate to is about an inch and a half across. They are kinda neat little corals and have some pretty bright colors. I will include an outrageously fake looking gel filter picture of one below! 

———

In other news it seems like either my pink sun coral or dendros managed to spawn in the tank, because I have begun to seen pinhead sized babies pop up around the tank (picture below), which I have to admit is pretty exciting! So with out further ado, pictures!

Teeny Tiny Baby NPS (or unknown pest (more likely))!!

BE252AB7-43AF-41A1-A48F-119868B6B6EF.jpeg

Hungry Button Scoly (realistic colors):

C1F89654-4323-42C6-B8F2-D93283E10A54.jpeg

Ridiculous gel filter picture of the same button scoly (gel filters are why I don't trust the internet):

C6055267-E5D4-4FC0-BBC4-A1DFCCC740B7.jpeg

New Frag Tank Friend!

31FE3256-862B-43BA-8AB5-5C91FEDF2868.jpeg

• Like 4
On 11/12/2018 at 3:04 PM, Cannedfish said:

Top Down Labeled.png

A 10-gallon of $$$ 🤑 😂

Just to paraphrase @Christopher Marks's signature quote: The time ($) you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time ($). 

Us reefers tend to have this particular inclination to do this to ourselves.  

This tank is ready for TOTM!   It's been on here for over a year, kept us entertained (but still owe us the chicken story), and shared some good lessons.  

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

I don't know if I would call it "appeasing." That sounds so... enabling. I think lazy is a better descriptor, however I would also accept: degenerate, putz, and apathetic. I am 100% down to trade, assuming I don't kill everything before they are ready. You definitely have some pieces I have my eyes on!

As soon as they are ready, and I can figure out this frag tank thing, they have your name on it! Though at the rate the HW is growing, we may all be dead by then...

Scared. Scared is the correct answer. 

This is a great idea! Maybe if I get my sh#t together (unlikely... you know bourbon) I will post a weekly where's Blen-Dog photo. I like your idea of the Southern theme, so obviously the game will be called, "Shoot Earl, Done Werr Dat Dadgummit Blenwud Git Off To Now." And it will be most likely sponsored by Miller Lite and tooth decay. Let make this happen!

I feel like trading coral for teenage sex trends is likely to lead to a court mandated inability to get within 1,000 feet of a school or playground... and getting on a special list. 

They definitely inflate and get larger, but how large is pretty relative. The largest I have seen one of mine (I have two) inflate to is about an inch and a half across. They are kinda neat little corals and have some pretty bright colors. I will include an outrageously fake looking gel filter picture of one below! 

———

In other news it seems like either my pink sun coral or dendros managed to spawn in the tank, because I have begun to seen pinhead sized babies pop up around the tank (picture below), which I have to admit is pretty exciting! So with out further ado, pictures!

Teeny Tiny Baby NPS (or unknown pest (more likely))!!

BE252AB7-43AF-41A1-A48F-119868B6B6EF.jpeg

Hungry Button Scoly (realistic colors):

C1F89654-4323-42C6-B8F2-D93283E10A54.jpeg

Ridiculous gel filter picture of the same button scoly (gel filters are why I don't trust the internet):

C6055267-E5D4-4FC0-BBC4-A1DFCCC740B7.jpeg

New Frag Tank Friend!

31FE3256-862B-43BA-8AB5-5C91FEDF2868.jpeg

Good to know. Most of what I was reading said they inflate to 4-6" and I was like...I don't have that kinda room in this here tank!

On 11/14/2018 at 10:26 AM, micoastreefing said:

A 10-gallon of $$$ 🤑 😂

Just to paraphrase @Christopher Marks's signature quote: The time ($) you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time ($). 

Us reefers tend to have this particular inclination to do this to ourselves.  

This tank is ready for TOTM!   It's been on here for over a year, kept us entertained (but still owe us the chicken story), and shared some good lessons.  

Thanks man! I really appreciate it! But unfortunately I have already called shotgun on you being the tank of the month first (see tank of the TOTM thread), and according to internationally accepted and ratified shotgun laws, my dibs takes precedence over yours (#lawyered). One day maybe, assuming it doesn’t all go off the rails and end in, what I imagine would be, a giant fireball of destruction while Iron Maiden plays loudly in the background and Blenwood laughs ominously while while holding a lit match.. which judging my aptitude to consume bourbon and tasty regional craft beers along with Blen-Daddy’s proclivity towards arson can’t entirely be ruled out.  

In other news, you definitely nailed the cost factor of Blenwood’s 10 gallon box of complication. If I would have known the costs could spiral this out of control when I started, I would have chosen another, cheaper, hobby (you know... like lighting money on fire for fun... or having a foreign mistress...). But at this point I’m already a Blenwood in, so go grab a lighter while I find some dollar bills...

————-

Quick update & terrible picture time:

The tank overall has been humming along nicely. I didn’t use a heater all summer, but  fortuitously decided to put it back on with an Inkbird last weekend. Because immediately there after the temperature plummeted in NOLA and our downstairs heater decided it wouldn’t turn on. So for over a day, till we could get a service tech out to the house, the downstairs was a balmy 42 degrees. The tank temp did drop to around 73 (even with the Eheim 75 constantly on), but nothing seemed to notice. Next, after nuking half of a chalice, three square inches of cyphastrea, and numerous birdsnest branches, the pectinia took it one step too far and reached out and touched (stung) the WD. As a result of its bad decisions, it was unceremoniously relegated to the frag tank. The WD is a bit beat up, but is recovering. That little nub has a will of iron having managed to get mollywopped by the pectinia and cyphastrea both in the last 3 weeks... or, more likely, the WD is just an arrogant prick and everything wants it dead... we may never know. Anyways, bad picture time!

Two much light?

B8B4EF35-9607-48A7-BA91-2887ED579E0F.jpeg

Blen-Fatty:

D5634D50-4DAC-4B75-A77B-6AEDD93E791E.jpeg

Wanda the Evil PPC:

01782A66-F3B6-4DB0-AEDE-88110A549E10.jpeg

The bottom of the pecking order:

1EF2D702-119B-43D1-B50E-03FE886A750A.jpeg

• Like 8

Photos are getting better each day... or the chickens stole the camera again. Regardless someone’s taking good care of the IM10. I’m kegging both holiday batches this week... if they are any good I’ll be sending out some holiday cheer! 

• Like 2
On 11/16/2018 at 6:42 PM, tanacharison said:

Photos are getting better each day... or the chickens stole the camera again. Regardless someone’s taking good care of the IM10. I’m kegging both holiday batches this week... if they are any good I’ll be sending out some holiday cheer! 

Thanks! Really appreciate it! I still can't figure out how to take those crystal clear fish pics to save my live though. It might be time to suck it up and buy the macro lens for the DSLR. But enough with that boring camera stuff, let talk about beer. As you know, I too also "slightly like" a "cold one" so I definitely would complain if you sent some "tasty suds" down yonder to the Big Easy! It might be time to figure out another beer exchange... you know, winter beer style! 

———

Anywhoo, here are some pictures to help get the people through the week! 

Acro Contest Update:

DF391953-3F2D-4AF2-A2A6-8D9378CAF8B9.jpeg

Dendro Party!

87624D5E-B969-4FB8-8B49-6CEDAF15C84E.jpeg

Lorp doing weird Lorp things:

B83EA76F-6E62-41FD-B6CE-BB2634BC0303.jpeg

• Like 3
On 11/20/2018 at 8:20 AM, DaveFason said:

Such a great tank. You should share this with AI as well. 

Lets try and plan something soon. Red fishing, photo shoot and a couple beers? 

-Dave

Thanks Dave! I'll have to shoot them an email.  We absolutely need to set up some kind of fishing situation! I've never really used a fly rod for reds, but our boat is set-up for it! Maybe you could teach us coonasses a thing or two about how to catch some fish! We could even make it a duck hunt/red fish blast and cast combo! But I warn you, if you go out into the swamp with a mud motor, some beer, and a bunch of red necks... you may never come back. Not because of anything nefarious... but because it's easy to take a man out of the swamp, it's difficult to take the swamp out of the man. Before you know it you'll start wearing overalls, drinking exclusively Miller Lite for hydration, and start dreaming a magical place called "Chalmette."

• Haha 3
On 11/12/2018 at 3:04 PM, Cannedfish said:

It's still there....

—————

Top Down Labeled.png

That cali tort looks awesome!

• Like 1

Monthly update time!

Despite my best efforts the last much has been relatively smooth sailing. There hasn’t been a parameter spike, I haven’t attempted to do a WC using fresh water, and nobody’s been arrested. Normally, my tank’s day-to-day situation is best described as “the backend of a 17 day Chianti bender” but at the moment if feels like what I imagine day 45 at the paradise ranch must feel like. Things have been growing well, somehow the Hawkin’s echinata survived a bout of both STN and RTN at the same time, and the WWC purple passion is still alive. Stocking wise, I did add an emerald crab to take care of the Erie Spheroid Water Lettuce (who I suspect ate the sexy shrimp (which is okay cuz that shrimp was a dick)) and a frag of CB’s Malificent acro (second attempt). Blenwood is still fat and Lorp is Lorp. Despite the calm, I’m sure things will relapse and drama will ensue but until then just take a deep breath and enjoy the tranquility!

And with that Crappy monthly progression shots:

177193C9-9E3B-4920-A7C6-326E20423E88.jpeg

50063145-1BE7-48A0-B101-442A76BB76A4.jpeg

D7EF37AC-4D52-4EE6-8F61-664283BDD58D.jpeg

FE301CFB-C424-43A3-AE85-5AFD6C7BB88B.jpeg

F874A098-95AB-41E3-83DC-107E1F5761FC.jpeg

• Like 5

Hey canned, I just ordered a kps for my nuvo and was wondering how you like yours? I have an upgraded 326gph return but wanted more flow and figured between that and the kps I should be good. What settings are you running it on? 

On 11/24/2018 at 2:35 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Things are definitely growing well for you bud !!! 

Thanks man. But unfortunately, the clock is ticking... Things have been stable for nearly a month now, and in my experience this is too much of a good thing to last! Just last week my heater cracked but I was luckily standing right next to the tank when it happened, so no harm. But Lady Luck is on to me, and it appears the future is fraught with danger!

On 11/24/2018 at 9:10 PM, teenyreef said:

Looking good! I'm glad the WD survived everything :rolleyes:

That poor little frag has the worst luck, despite its best efforts it just can't catch a break. Sometimes I feel like it's a character in a Cohen Brothers movie, or somehow related to James Dean's Porsche This is all very sad, because the WD might be my favorite acro*. Side note, congrats on the new frags! I've had my eye on the Bubblebath Unicorn for a while, and am excited to watch you perform your dark any mystical (or if your a rapper from NOLA... Mystikal) magic on it! I have one complaint, however, whenever I see you go buy a bunch of hot frags, because I'm a bratty toddler, I get kinda jealous and it makes me want... no makes me need (much more accurate)... to go buy more frags to keep up. As if this is part of dumb 1950's Cold War Coral Arms Race, which as it turns out was a important yet forgotten about aspect of mid-century US-Russian relations. 

*Note: favorite acro in theory, because obviously, up to this point I haven't been able to grow one worth the hair on my back! Which, unless your are Jesus Aceves or related to Sasquatch is, I assure you, a lot of hair. 

13 hours ago, MrObscura said:

Hey canned, I just ordered a kps for my nuvo and was wondering how you like yours? I have an upgraded 326gph return but wanted more flow and figured between that and the kps I should be good. What settings are you running it on? 

Although there has been a lot of debate about the KPS on a many (often repetitive) threads on NR. Overall, I have been very pleased with the pump. So much so that I, through a combination of sheer cunning and admittedly incredible and awe inspiring brute force, actually strong-armed @micoastreefing into sending me his unused pump for my frag tank. That being said:

Like your tank, I have also upgraded my return pump (IM Mighty Jet), and have some form of RFG on my return (SpinStream). Even so, I run my KPS on the SPS 200L setting (I was too lazy to make my own), and I run the frag tank on the SPS 100L setting (no rock or obstacles to divert flow). Besides a fungia plate and a lobo (which were also fighting at the time), nothing has had problems with the amount of flow (acros seem to love it, in fact I am directly blasting my Cali Tort and its had pretty solid growth). I have mine placed in the top left corner (under the return) angled towards the right glass wall (with the magnet housed in the third sump chamber, as I don't like anything on the viewing glass (hence no frag racks)). Again I am no expert, but I think, overall, this is a pretty good placement. Tucked under the return, it's hardly noticeable, and the angle provides good cross flow. I have debated with my self whether placing it the right corner under the return grate (angled toward the front glass) would have been a better choice, because the two random flows of water (KPS and return) hitting each other would make some really turbulent water. But like a moron, I have placed several frags in this location on the back-wall, so the argument is moot. Side note, you way want to looking a surface skimmer, I think it was one of the best (scary thought) decisions/equipment purchases I have made for my tank. I have the JBJ Nano Cube version (glued directly to the back wall) but InTank also makes one. I have found it raises the water level slightly, aerates the water a bit, and most importantly removes any film or dust that may collect on the water surface (I have installed on both of my IM NUVO 10's).

Anyways, let me know if you have any more questions. I am happy to help (though my first advice, is probably avoid my advice... and then ask @teenyreef or @markalot or @micoastreefing...). Overall, your tank is looking really good. You have mentioned having some issues, but I think part of it is that the tank is still going through the growing pains of the tank maturation process. I know personally, my tank really didn't start hitting its strides till it was ten or so months old. Regarding your SPS (and again I'm not an expert), I think you will notice a big improvement as soon as you have your ramped up your light to full power. When I was running my lights at 60% of full power my Cali tort was a blue tinted brown turd (look at last November), at about 80% it was a green turd with blue tips (last January), at 100% it was a Cali tort (Beginning in April). Having added the second light (August), I have now been able to cook all the green out of it, and it looks amazing. 

.......................................................................................................

After much rigorous scientific research, I have found Tuesdays the worst day of the week. As a result, here are some crappy photo to help you get through this crappy day:

KPS in the top right corner next to Fatwood and Lorp:

80D2D23E-0703-4F43-9941-360D62A72DD0.jpeg

Orange Psammo creepin' on the back wall:

468188E9-CACC-4F6E-9BD5-35742BFB2874.jpeg

Red Dragon begin to fill out:

00EF960A-286D-4679-AB26-F26F78B51BD5.jpeg

WWC Slimeball has started to grow out of control:

386A21DB-C3E2-4F51-B38B-6B1A45B4839A.jpeg

• Like 4