Pod Your Reef

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

HookedOnAquariums

Tell blenwood that his diet is working. And I would say call dibs on that super bright digi. But at this point I have called dibs on every coral in your tank. It’s so nice!

• Like 1

Man, congrats on the TOTM and glad to see you're still killin' it with this tank. Every time I go more than a week or two between logging into nano-reef, yours is the first thread I bring up and it just keeps looking better and better. As a fellow Nuvo 10er trying to as many stony and NPS corals as possible into it, I can definitely appreciate the challenges of keeping things looking good in such a small water volume. Your acro growth and color is seriously impressive!!

I recently did something similar on my tank re. lighting (added a second Prime, lowered intensity, raised and angled them inwards a bit to help with shading and hot spots) and have been really happy with the results so far after fragging up my big stylo up top and adding a bunch of acropora in place of, but am totally winging it with the intensity levels (no PAR meter). I'd love to know what settings you're running at the moment and how far off the water surface they're mounted. Thanks and keep up the amazing work!

• Like 1
On 1/23/2019 at 11:16 AM, Reefkid88 said:

I say in 8 months you will be upgrading honestly. This tank is filling in fast,like very fast. 

On 1/23/2019 at 11:54 PM, This guy is extra salty said:

You need to convince your old lady to let you upgrade to a 30gallon drop off 

congrats on totm

I have to agree the tank is beginning to fill in really quickly. As some of the acros have left their frag cocoon and transitioned to mini colonies it seems that real estate is being to be lost at an exponential rate. In fact, nearly everywhere I look there is warfare happening or things are growing into, onto or on-top of other things. Unfortunately, barring some sort of miracle (I'm looking at you Louisiana Lottery), I don't foresee a bigger tank in the cards. Mainly because our house was clearly designed by idiot in the mid-to-late 1800's who was an asshole and didn't take into account that 150 years later some moron would want a fish tank larger than 10 gallons. Furthermore, they apparently also though insulation was uncool. In fact, when designing our house they decided that most of the square footage of the house should be occupied by stairs. Our house isn't that big, and we have three, yes three, sets of stairs. Sometimes I wake in the night sweating after dreaming I was trapped in an MC Esher drawing, only to realize that I am. So, in summary, despite a amazing offer by @This guy is extra salty to build a custom tank (y'all need to check his insane acrylic work out), a larger tank isn't in the cards... or stairs... stupid house. 

On 1/23/2019 at 3:49 PM, HookedOnAquariums said:

Tell blenwood that his diet is working. And I would say call dibs on that super bright digi. But at this point I have called dibs on every coral in your tank. It’s so nice!

Unfortunately, ole Blen-Daddy hasn't lost weight... that's just his skinny angle. He's still fat. It's like when you see a picture of a group of sorority girls on Instagram and they are all slightly turned about a 45 degrees with their front leg bent... that's no accident... that's the skinny pose. You instantly lose 10 lbs. And that exactly what Blenwood does. If you saw him in real life, without his make up on, you would think he was an Angler fish. Woof. 

21 hours ago, biophilia said:

Man, congrats on the TOTM and glad to see you're still killin' it with this tank. Every time I go more than a week or two between logging into nano-reef, yours is the first thread I bring up and it just keeps looking better and better. As a fellow Nuvo 10er trying to as many stony and NPS corals as possible into it, I can definitely appreciate the challenges of keeping things looking good in such a small water volume. Your acro growth and color is seriously impressive!!

I recently did something similar on my tank re. lighting (added a second Prime, lowered intensity, raised and angled them inwards a bit to help with shading and hot spots) and have been really happy with the results so far after fragging up my big stylo up top and adding a bunch of acropora in place of, but am totally winging it with the intensity levels (no PAR meter). I'd love to know what settings you're running at the moment and how far off the water surface they're mounted. Thanks and keep up the amazing work!

Thank you! I really appreciate it! It was definitely a surprise and a huge honor! I agree, adding a second light makes a huge difference. It's amazing the amount of shadows you get with a single puck. I have my lights about 10 or so inches above the tank at the moment, and have the lights spread out so the edge of each puck is about at the edge of the tank and have them ever so slightly angled towards the center. Shoot me a PM with your email, and I will send you over my settings. When I first added the second light, I did turn them both down to about 80%, and then ramped the lights up 5% every five days or so till they were each at 100% of my settings. To tell you the truth, now that some of acros have grow even more, I am considering adding two more Primes. Either than, or hoping Dave comes out with a 12" LED/T5 hybrid...

And now some photos...

Creeps McGee...

F9E28F78-9BC8-4D9A-84BC-F06CA3F8563C.jpeg

Growth has made photo taking a bit trickier...

0CEE05D5-6322-4E8A-8CC1-49C80287D94F.jpeg

How to get "ultimate coloration:" GEL FILTER!

4AB8760D-FA72-4E47-AE35-D39B99115B32.jpeg

Last weekend's quail hunt:

9678D5D4-3E08-4C8C-A3B9-5FF1B2AD987A.jpeg

• Like 8

You couldn't even fit say maybe a WaterBox cube in its place ? I'm not surprised honestly,your tank has seen some crazy growth the last few months. You are doing something right. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

I am considering adding two more Primes. Either than, or hoping Dave comes out with a 12" LED/T5 hybrid...

I don't know if you're serious or joking, but if anyone did it on Nano-Reef, it'd be you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I don't know if you're serious or joking, but if anyone did it on Nano-Reef, it'd be you. 

Shoot,I'd use one too lol. 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:54 PM, This guy is extra salty said:

You need to convince your old lady to let you upgrade to a 30gallon drop off 

congrats on totm

who makes a 30 gallon drop off? I know IM has a couple 20 gallon optoins...  :huh:

This guy is extra salty
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

who makes a 30 gallon drop off? I know IM has a couple 20 gallon optoins...  :huh:

Me, i get bored at work.

here is a dosing container for my 200g (each chamber holds 2g of fluid)

AE17943B-62B2-4149-A839-43C0CE54E032.thumb.jpeg.2fe228b8aca757cb84a6b9d99dfce559.jpeg

Im in the process of designing a 30drop off.. @Cannedfish seriously give me dimensions so I can accommodate that ledge on your counter🤙

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2

Hey yo!! Monthly Update time!

Unlike my biceps, SAT scores, or ability to resist temptation, January was strong, and it gives me hope for the rest of 2019! On the fish tank front, to nearly everyone’s surprise the old Blen Castle won January’s TOTM! For me personally, it was a humbling honor, for Blen-Daddy it has only served to boost his ego, which was already struggling to stay contained in his two and a half inches. I would say he’s spent the month strutting around like a peacock, but honestly that would be an almost criminal undersell. Rather, he has spent the last 30 or so days strutting around like a magnificent unicorn-eagle hybrid spawned entirely out of stripper glitter and the the hopes and chiffon dreams of teenage beauty pageant queens. It’s not only magnificent but awe inspiring. Enough about Blen-Money, what out the the tank... Despite being incredibly needy (daily water changes, a plethora of fancy supplements, intense maintenance routine, etc) the tank has done surprisingly well through January being neglected, as I gallivanted around the country shooting various species of game birds. That being said, I am currently writing this update from a Delta lounge as I prepare to leave the tank for another week (fingers crossed it doesn’t go nuclear) as I try my hardest to contract some debilitating stomach bug while eating my way across Mexico City. One of my resolutions was to lose weight, and if that takes flying to Mexico and getting a weird intestinal parasite then so be it! Livestock wise, January has been relatively quiet. Nothing died (yet), and I picked up: a blasto, TCK Pikachu acro, RMF Gilla Monster acro (finally got it), RMF Sapphire Mille. Otherwise, things have been stable and growth has been good! Welp on to the next month!

Progress Pics!

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b

BD295950-02BF-4608-9924-DA1C9654BEB5.jpeg

E95825C3-8D57-4547-BD80-AAA1521624A1.jpeg

5C2715B8-6B3B-4366-BE1D-95B4006DF5AC.jpeg

EAAE1CA0-B9B7-4807-ACB3-30745E6B2172.jpeg

2BFC8324-87EB-42DB-B1F4-7FF8FFC4C3EC.jpeg

0A436B03-A421-4E7D-9BE1-B6EDDD9EE93F.jpeg82810F6D-7E00-4888-B6A3-AE736032F335.thumb.jpeg.1d783d856b9c771e7fa7a2358f5a0229.jpeg

FF311ADE-9338-46CE-8577-FFC2252629FE.jpeg

• Like 10

it is a beautiful tank!

however, you don't need to travel so far or spend so much to get a parasite...just swallow a tape worm and you're good!  😄 

being I haven't followed this thread until the last couple of days, who/what is Blen-"TermOfEndearmentAtTheMomentOfPost' ?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

it is a beautiful tank!

however, you don't need to travel so far or spend so much to get a parasite...just swallow a tape worm and you're good!  😄 

being I haven't followed this thread until the last couple of days, who/what is Blen-"TermOfEndearmentAtTheMomentOfPost' ?

Blenwood is the really sassy Tailspot Blenny who rules over the tank!

HookedOnAquariums
27 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

And our slightly corrupt diva ruler who shuts down all other rap artists. Don’t ask how but I think I know who sent Tupac to Cuba...

52 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

interesting...looking them up, LiveAquaria lists them as peaceful. gotta love it when you get the exception!

any recent pictures of him? also, is he more of a dictator or a tyrant?

• Like 1

What happened to those tiny NPS babies that you mentioned were sprouting up all over your tank? I've started to see something similar and got curious about it! At first I thought it might just be orange sponge or something but some of them seem to be sprouting tentacles as well and are starting to look like that picture you shared. I have sun corals so maybe that's it 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
On 2/2/2019 at 1:32 PM, lizzyann said:

What happened to those tiny NPS babies that you mentioned were sprouting up all over your tank? I've started to see something similar and got curious about it! At first I thought it might just be orange sponge or something but some of them seem to be sprouting tentacles as well and are starting to look like that picture you shared. I have sun corals so maybe that's it 🤷‍♀️

Still have a few of them! Unfortunately, I lost a couple while battling aptasia, but every once and a while a new one or two will pop up. I am pretty sure they are sun corals, but who knows! Interestingly, @banasophia (I believe) has had her sun corals spawn, so she is probably the resident expert on baby suns!

• Like 1
On 2/2/2019 at 11:32 AM, lizzyann said:

1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

Still have a few of them! Unfortunately, I lost a couple while battling aptasia, but every once and a while a new one or two will pop up. I am pretty sure they are sun corals, but who knows! Interestingly, @banasophia (I believe) has had her sun corals spawn, so she is probably the resident expert on baby suns!

How was I not following your journal yet, @Cannedfish??? Silly me! I love your tank, and your journal looks like it will be a great read! 

Thanks for tagging me; I’ll go post some baby-suns-taking-over-my-tank pics in my journal. Indeed, I find the suns to be the most invasive coral in my tank, by far surpassing the GSP, Kenya tree, and Xenia... in a year’s time my tank will probably be a sun coral habitat. 😬😂

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

Helloooo, anyone home?

Been wondering the same thing. Mr totm and poof gone.. what a sucker.n damn you cannedfish you owe me a chicken story!!!!😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Weikel said:

Been wondering the same thing. Mr totm and poof gone.. what a sucker.n damn you cannedfish you owe me a chicken story!!!!😋

Maybe the chicken took him out................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1