Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

It shouldn't be a problem, the media container doesn't sit in your sump or really need to be that close to your skimmer at all, it connects to your skimmer's air intake via a air hose, mine sits outside my tank about 10 inches away from the skimmer, I'll try to get pictures when I get home. 

Currently, I am using a Nikon D7100 with a 40mm 2.8g macro lens with a lens mounted macro flash (though I am thinking hard about upgrading to the 100mm Tokina (or 105 Laowa) macro lens) . Here a quick pic of my current set up (I use a viewing port when shooting from above):

IMG_0348.thumb.JPEG.0eb856087d956cd00f7b48364df10c1e.JPEG

I'll have to look that one up. Where did you find the boom and telescoping arms? 

I'm looking into getting a D780. I have an old D3000. I really am interested in the video capabilities, and I don't need the uber abilities of a D850 (though that would be a fat wonderful gift too), but I like the digital screen and how it allows you to focus outside of the viewfinder and on the screen. I literally end up with a headache squinting through the viewfinder of my D3000 after a few minutes. Same problem I always have with squinting through guns sights, and why I like shot guns. No fine aiming required.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

Currently, I am using a Nikon D7100 with a 40mm 2.8g macro lens with a lens mounted macro flash (though I am thinking hard about upgrading to the 100mm Tokina (or 105 Laowa) macro lens) . Here a quick pic of my current set up (I use a viewing port when shooting from above):

IMG_0348.thumb.JPEG.0eb856087d956cd00f7b48364df10c1e.JPEG

Nice rig there!!!  I'm waiting for the 90mm macro (I'm a Sony person) to bet back in stock, which looks like never. 

What viewing port are you using? Attached to lens body or one of the floating?

What is that speed light and the attachment?

-Jeff

2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I'll have to look that one up. Where did you find the boom and telescoping arms? 

I'm looking into getting a D780. I have an old D3000. I really am interested in the video capabilities, and I don't need the uber abilities of a D850 (though that would be a fat wonderful gift too), but I like the digital screen and how it allows you to focus outside of the viewfinder and on the screen. I literally end up with a headache squinting through the viewfinder of my D3000 after a few minutes. Same problem I always have with squinting through guns sights, and why I like shot guns. No fine aiming required.

All those are excellent choices... but when choosing a camera keep in mind the lens system you want join. I upgraded from the D90 to the D7100 because it was a cheap and easy upgrade (Facebook marketplace) and I could still use all the Nikon F mount DX Lens I had (we had a few mainly for travel), also it was an upgrade but also a stop gap til we decided which mirror less system we wanted (leaning towards the Nikon) since we will probably upgrade the lenses to that system sooner than later. Keep in mind ( if you bought lenses) the d3000 lenses don’t have the same autofocusing system and aren’t full frame like the d780 or d850. And if the price is comparable it might be worth just moving up to mirrorless. Currently, the lens I really want  is the Loawa 105mm dreamer which is only available for the Nikon Z line (mirrorless) and it’s making really consider switching.

1 hour ago, jcreefer said:

Nice rig there!!!  I'm waiting for the 90mm macro (I'm a Sony person) to bet back in stock, which looks like never. 

What viewing port are you using? Attached to lens body or one of the floating?

What is that speed light and the attachment?

-Jeff

Thanks man, I’m also wanting a 100mm macro something fierce. I’m currently using the camera body as the viewing port but I’m strongly considering an external monitor Given how cheap they are on amazon . Additionally, the speed light is a cheap lens mounted macro flash I ordered on amazon, which honestly isn’t all that bad, I also supplement it with LED brick attached to an external arm. 

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Your pics are getting so much better !!! 

Thanks man, really appreciate it! I’m not their yet but I’m trying to put in the work to get there. Still have a lot of the mountain to climb. 

21 minutes ago, Noinoi24 said:

Beautiful! What happened to the clam?  Where can I get that top lid?

Thanks! Sadly, Randy Clam kicked the proverbial bucket long ago, when frankly I didn’t know what I didn’t know what I was doing.  I still really want another clam just haven’t found the right one. I believe the top came from ClearView, and although it was expensive it is a huge aesthetic upgrade over the stock lid. 

• Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
8 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

All those are excellent choices... but when choosing a camera keep in mind the lens system you want join. I upgraded from the D90 to the D7100 because it was a cheap and easy upgrade (Facebook marketplace) and I could still use all the Nikon F mount DX Lens I had (we had a few mainly for travel), also it was an upgrade but also a stop gap til we decided which mirror less system we wanted (leaning towards the Nikon) since we will probably upgrade the lenses to that system sooner than later. Keep in mind ( if you bought lenses) the d3000 lenses don’t have the same autofocusing system and aren’t full frame like the d780 or d850. And if the price is comparable it might be worth just moving up to mirrorless. Currently, the lens I really want  is the Loawa 105mm dreamer which is only available for the Nikon Z line (mirrorless) and it’s making really consider switching.

The lens I’m currently using on my D3000 is a AF S DX micro Nikkor 85mm F3.5 ED VR

It does automatic and manual focus already. I’ll have to do more research on whether it will work with the D780. But yeah I wondered already if I’d have to buy a new lens for it. 

And what is the benefit of a mirrorless camera? Keep in mind I use it for more than just Coral photography too. Having one that does video and can take good outdoor photos is also needed

2 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The lens I’m currently using on my D3000 is a AF S DX micro Nikkor 85mm F3.5 ED VR

It does automatic and manual focus already. I’ll have to do more research on whether it will work with the D780. But yeah I wondered already if I’d have to buy a new lens for it. 

And what is the benefit of a mirrorless camera? Keep in mind I use it for more than just Coral photography too. Having one that does video and can take good outdoor photos is also needed

If you're planning on using the camera for just coral shots, then the D3000 is sufficient for posting pics here and on IG.  Mirrorless are for those who travel (they are smaller in size because they don't have a mechanical shutter in the camera body), who needs a camera that excels in low light, and autofocuses fast.  

When it comes to photography (and I am an amature), lens is what's really important.  It's what brings life out of still life photos. So someone's decision to buy a camera (brand or body) should be influenced by what type of photography, which leads to what type of lens to own, which will lead to what type (and brand) of camera to buy.  A lot of folks already own a X brand, and generally speaking, those lens only works with that X brand of camera.  So people typically buy the same camera body as the lens they already own.  There are lens adopters for say Canon lens to a Nikon body, but they sacrifice some of the functionalities such as AF.  Which is why you'll most likely stick with Nikon rather than switch to Canon or Sony, because you've already invested heavily in Nikon lens.  

Mirrorless has quite a few differentiations, there's full frame and the Micro Four Thirds.  That simply refers to the sensor the camera uses.  Obviously, full frame is bigger and thus will capture more "data/pixels" than the Micro Four Thirds counterpart.  When you get into the 24mp range, it's really a moot point whether its full frame or Micro Four Thirds.  Our eyes can only see so much details.

That's the short jist of it.  

-Jeff

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer
15 minutes ago, jcreefer said:

If you're planning on using the camera for just coral shots, then the D3000 is sufficient for posting pics here and on IG.  Mirrorless are for those who travel (they are smaller in size because they don't have a mechanical shutter in the camera body), who needs a camera that excels in low light, and autofocuses fast.  

When it comes to photography (and I am an amature), lens is what's really important.  It's what brings life out of still life photos. So someone's decision to buy a camera (brand or body) should be influenced by what type of photography, which leads to what type of lens to own, which will lead to what type (and brand) of camera to buy.  A lot of folks already own a X brand, and generally speaking, those lens only works with that X brand of camera.  So people typically buy the same camera body as the lens they already own.  There are lens adopters for say Canon lens to a Nikon body, but they sacrifice some of the functionalities such as AF.  Which is why you'll most likely stick with Nikon rather than switch to Canon or Sony, because you've already invested heavily in Nikon lens.  

Mirrorless has quite a few differentiations, there's full frame and the Micro Four Thirds.  That simply refers to the sensor the camera uses.  Obviously, full frame is bigger and thus will capture more "data/pixels" than the Micro Four Thirds counterpart.  When you get into the 24mp range, it's really a moot point whether its full frame or Micro Four Thirds.  Our eyes can only see so much details.

That's the short jist of it.  

-Jeff

Yeah my needs puts it in the realm of general purpose with a good macro lens. It *appears* the micro lens I have will work with a D780 or a D500- both have video capabilities, one is just higher end than the other. Comes down to how much the hubs is willing to spend or Santa come Christmas and anniversary (which are the same week). So I’ll continue to research this camera and lens question. Obviously if can find a new camera body that works with the lens I already mortgaged a child for, it would be best. 

• Like 1

I think everyone lets the "stima" of how "difficult photography" is get in the way of them progressing. Then go blow thousands of dollas trying to get good pics and are never happy. What you have done with the equipment you have is phenomenal. I love my Canon T3i,its dusty and never gets used but she does he job. 

When my tank is complete,I will have all the excuses to bust 'er out. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Yeah my needs puts it in the realm of general purpose with a good macro lens. It *appears* the micro lens I have will work with a D780 or a D500- both have video capabilities, one is just higher end than the other. Comes down to how much the hubs is willing to spend or Santa come Christmas and anniversary (which are the same week). So I’ll continue to research this camera and lens question. Obviously if can find a new camera body that works with the lens I already mortgaged a child for, it would be best. 

lol, when a lens costs more than the camera body, it makes you question your sanity.  I know I do!!! 🤣

• Haha 2
ECLS Reefer
48 minutes ago, jcreefer said:

lol, when a lens costs more than the camera body, it makes you question your sanity.  I know I do!!! 🤣

You question my sanity? 😬🥴 Somedays that’s entirely valid

• Haha 2
ECLS Reefer
5 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

What if your dslr body only cost $60 like mine did lol ? 

Oh mine didn’t. They bought it when it was new 12 years ago and it was high end then. Definitely has depreciated as new technology has come out. The lens was expensive but didn’t cost more than the camera did when purchased. Which is why I seriously need to research what I buy so the lens I have works with a new body. Haven’t won the lottery yet.

But still want to know where @Cannedfish got his cool boom and telescoping arm set up. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Post a new thread in the photography forum so we can discuss further.  I’m sure quite of few of us will help ya out 😉

• Like 2

Look at mpb,they have amazing lenses for dirt cheap,and so does usedphotopro. My wife got me a 18mp T3i,4 lenses,bag and a bunch of other stuff for $80 locally. 

I got a Nikon D3200 *brand new* and a 50mm nikor af lens brand new for $80 at a pawn shop. 

1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Oh mine didn’t. They bought it when it was new 12 years ago and it was high end then. Definitely has depreciated as new technology has come out. The lens was expensive but didn’t cost more than the camera did when purchased. Which is why I seriously need to research what I buy so the lens I have works with a new body. Haven’t won the lottery yet.

But still want to know where @Cannedfish got his cool boom and telescoping arm set up. 

So this dangerous, but I’m going to leave a few thoughts and give what some may construe as advice. Before this reckless act, I’ll first preface this with the disclaimer that I’m not an expert in any thing besides bad decision$; I’m actually third behind old school Lindsay Lohan and peak Charlie Sheen in questionable life choices. Don’t believe me. I once woke up under a statue in Hyde park wearing a blazer with no buttons, and I’m not even English. That being said:

-if looking at getting a new camera system I would go mirrorless. First, that’s where the industry is going. You don’t want to pay retail for soon to be out dated technology. The advantages of mirrorless are: size, weight, video, and in most cases... megapixels and IBIS. 

-if unsure, go my route. As mentioned, I’m in between systems. In my case, I have a bunch of lenses, but wanted to upgrade, but still want to be able to use those lenses before jumping to a new system (mirrorless). I was able to buy a decent camera (D7100) in amazing condition, for basically nothing off Facebook market place. Keep in mind, that is a buying platform I despise, but since then I’ve also picked up a travel lens on the cheap. This allows you to improve your photography (clrearly I need to) and learn what you like and dislike, without having to sell an organ (a limited option in my case since I already sold a both kidneys for some Monster energy drinks and sweet go-cart mods) before deciding what camera ecosystem to jump to. 

-if given the choice spend the money on lenses. The camera is the vehicle the lenses are the magic. If you read any photo books, blogs, guides or watch photography videos etc, they all say spend the money on glass. I’m just getting/realizing this. You can’t get the same quality of photo with a cell phone as you can a DSLR, you can’t get as good of close ups with a kit lens as you can a macro, and the quality between a 105mm and 40mm macro once you know what your looking for is enviable. And it goes on from there... take a travel portrait with a 35mm prime or a bird with a 300mm and you be upset you had thought a cell phone was enough on your other trips. 

I’m summary you have a lot of options and photography can be addicting. 

Now as it relates to my equipment... if I wake up I a place I recognize, I’ll update you tomorrow... it’s too hard to copy and paste from amazon with this god forsaken ipad. I need two monitors and a keyboard! A keyboard I tell you! And a mouse! A mouse!

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
10 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

So this dangerous, but I’m going to left a few thoughts and give what some may construe as advice. Before this reckless act, I’ll first preface this with the disclaimer that I’m not an expert in any thing besides bad decision$; I’m actually third behind old school Lindsay Lohan and peak Charlie Sheen in questionable life choices. Don’t believe me. I once woke up under a statue in Hyde park wearing a blazer with no buttons, and I’m not even English. That being said:

-if looking at getting a new camera system I would go mirrorless. First, that’s where the industry is going. You don’t want to pay retail for soon to be out dated technology. The advantages of mirrorless are: size, weight, video, and in most cases... megapixels and IBIS. 

-if unsure, go my route. As mentioned, I’m in between systems. In my case, I have a bunch of lenses, but wanted to upgrade, but still want to be able to use those lenses before jumping to a new system (mirrorless). I was able to buy a decent camera (D7100) in amazing condition, for basically nothing off Facebook market place. Keep in mind, that is a buying platform I despise, but since then I’ve also picked up a travel lens on the cheap. This allows you to improve your photography (clrearly I need to) and learn what you like and dislike, without having to sell an organ (a limited option in my case since I already sold a both kidneys for some Monster energy drinks and sweet go-cart mods) before deciding what camera ecosystem to jump to. 

-if given the choice spend the money on lenses. The camera is the vehicle the lenses are the magic. If you read any photo books, blogs, guides or watch photography videos etc, they all say spend the money on glass. I’m just getting/realizing this. You can’t get the same quality of photo with a cell phone as you can a DSLR, you can’t get as good of close ups with a kit lens as you can a macro, and the quality between a 105mm and 40mm macro once you know what your looking for is enviable. And it goes on from there... take a travel portrait with a 35mm prime or a bird with a 300mm and you be upset you had thought a cell phone was enough on your other trips. 

I’m summary you have a lot of options and photography can be addicting. 

Now as it relates to my equipment... if I wake up I a place I recognize, I’ll update you tomorrow... it’s too hard to copy and paste from amazon with this god forsaken ipad. I need two monitors and a keyboard! A keyboard I tell you! And a mouse! A mouse!

Even a crazy cracked out shite house rat gives sage advice every once in a while 😉

Ill look into this mirror-less thing. I’m just starting this camera body research thing and it’s actually a little hard to pull in all the information- the website isn’t intuitive and won’t give me crystal ball answers about YES this is what you want and YES these lenses work. It’s a conspiracy to make me work harder.

17 hours ago, jcreefer said:

What viewing port are you using?

I actually have a homemade one! Was super cheap and easy to make and allowed me to tailor it to my lens size and depth.

13 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Here we go! (Damn I should have set up affiliate links... anyone know how to do that! I want kickbacks!)

Tripod:  it's cheap and has really worked well, has all the bells and whistles of the expensive ones... and will work till I feel I absolutely need a higher end tripod, it comes in varieties of sketchy chinese brands:

Link!

Flash bracket:

Link!

Articulating Arm:

Link!

LED Light (I would get a cheaper one if I did it again):

Link!

Macro Flash:

Link!

Focus Rail:

Link!

Nikon Lens:

Link!

Lens I really want:

Link!

Also this happened this morning...

image.thumb.jpeg.b7d9af688c51449970b25307975243af.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

I actually have a homemade one! Was super cheap and easy to make and allowed me to tailor it to my lens size and depth.

Like to see a pic of this!!!

Also this happened this morning...

image.thumb.jpeg.b7d9af688c51449970b25307975243af.jpeg

What in the world? Fish, coral, and now chicks?!?! 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

@jcreefer yup, do a search on this thread, chickens have a long and storied past.... for all the haters part III is in the works. 

Not sure I dare to! 😨