inTank Media Baskets

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

Teeny, as I have been gone, I didn't realize you were gone! But it's great to have you back, it just isn't the same without you. BTW congrats on the TOTM! At this point I feel @Christopher Marks should just recognize your tank as the GOAT and give you the January award every year, or at very least rename the January TOTM the "TeenyReef Memorial Award." I know neither you nor the tank are dead, so Memorial isn't the right word, but I feel like it would get people talking and it sounds better. Funny story: my significant's mother donated a bunch of money to her high school and had a math classroom named in her honor (XXX XXXXX Memorial Classroom), because she thought having it say "Memorial" would stir the pot and be funny and because my significant was really bad at math. I had to tip my cap at that... real firecracker that one. 

Update: as some of you may have heard, I lost my "R. Rampage" coral. Despite suggestions otherwise, I doubt it was because of either my superior water quality or because I have too much light (Fun fact: there is no such thing... moar light!!!!). I'm pretty sure, the really handsome and funny guy that suggested that my peppermint shrimp hired a hit on the chalice was probably correct. Anyways, I think I'm going to stay out of the LPS game for awhile, much like girls in middle school and how to be a functioning adult, I really just don't understand LPS. Therefore, like my my view of math and choice in alcohol I'm going to stick to the hard stuff. That's right, I'm probably going to get my first go H.A.M. on acros. Rumor has it, @mitten_reef may have some bread baking in the oven, and I may have some bourbon itching to get out of the boot state. Also I really need some black suns. 

Anyways! Crappy pic time! 

Rainbow Acans!

DF1F3051-E461-40FC-B752-501833256360.jpeg

I have a confession: I have a blasto problem.

36D7A6B0-94D6-4999-81A6-0E98AD99D9B4.jpeg

Sooo much space to fill:

3E4E333A-3D98-4A0B-B4B3-33CEB4997382.jpeg

UC Peep Show

274F8572-F753-4128-A993-856EA2521F37.jpeg

So beautiful 😍

• Like 4
ECLS Reefer
51 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Just here to say that this is one of the few threads that I value the narration just has much as I do the photos. 

Being a functioning adult, middle schoolers in general, and math are all things that make up the axis of evil. 

Yes! Both true statements

• Like 2
On 4/28/2020 at 4:31 PM, YHSublime said:

Just here to say that this is one of the few threads that I value the narration just has much as I do the photos. 

Being a functioning adult, middle schoolers in general, and math are all things that make up the axis of evil. I'm going exclusively to the hard stuff next go around, but that's only bc of the fish. Stick to what you're good at, I always say. 

Anyways, for some reason reading this update made me thirsty, I'm off to pour myself a drink! 

Thanks man! Really appreciate that, however, by narration you must have meant "poor grammar" and/or "terrible sentence structure" and more than likely "complete lack of proofreading." To which, I wouldn't blame you, as my writing throughout my educational "journey" was typically described as "neanderthal-ian," "grotesque," and "having the maniacal underpinnings of a prospective lunatic." While I may not totally agree to these sentiments, my court ordered therapist probably does... Whatever, she's a communist hack controlled by our lizard overlords...

On 4/28/2020 at 4:59 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Man 'oh man..those Acan's !!!!! 

You mean: "Man 'oh man..those RAINBOW Acan's !!!!!... are really really red..." Also, the next sentence was most likely, "I can't believe he is managing to keep these things alive..." Followed by "I have an Abe Lincoln these things are skeletons by June..."

...I'll take that bet. 

On 4/28/2020 at 5:05 PM, lizzyann said:

You have quite the goth theme going! The LiveAquaria diver's den has had a lot of black sun corals lately if you are willing to support such conglomerates/monopolies/satanic entities (i do, often 😬).

"Conglomerates..." eh. "Monopolies..." meh. "Satanic entities..." now you have my attention! Where do I sign up. Is there a free tee-shirt! No matter, I'm in, where do I enter my email address and social security number!!

Mo. Badder-er. Pictures. 

Montipora Orangeyboi

6FA23100-9DC5-47C8-82EE-22DA9941972A.jpeg

Acropora phuzzius

8E1820D4-B95E-4513-AAD3-AD6332AFF84C.jpeg

Tentacles. Butts. Mouths. (Only times these three things should ever go together.)

65D207D8-81F5-4E02-A443-F5BC4AD4010D.jpeg

Tank under blues. (It has a long way to go).

A3015F80-CDA0-43B5-B1DC-A3659275E766.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Every time I read it as “bladder” and check your pics out of curiosity to see what the heck is going on 😂🤣

It's all part of the plan... One day, unsuspecting, you'll click on this tank thread, and instead of stale jokes and mediocre coral pictures and you will get what you've secretly wanted the whole time... a NSFW bladder picture... and I'll be riding off into the sunset laughing all the way to the bank...

37 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

What's with the coloration differences on your suns? Is it just the light or are they actually paler on the left? Or two different specimens?

Great question! Fun story/fact/quip: these/this colony of suns was actually sourced (I assume legally... and if not than... I'm making all this up and had nothing do with it...) out of the gulf by a diver (apparently they are all over the oil rigs), and given to my favorite LFS (located near one of the main oil servicing ports). What makes this particular sun colony exciting is not only is attached to a living gulf oyster (that has survived in the tank for over 4 months), but also that half of the colony is bright yellow with yellow tubes, and the other half is orange with pink tubes, and where the colors (or colours if your fancy) meet, its kinda a weird combination... There was no trickery of light or photo-shopping its just a really peculiar and unusual colony. I have to try to get a photo from above when its all puffed up. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Shade those Acan's and feed the crap out of them 3-4 times a week and those colors will come back. 

I fed LPS Max,SPS Max,Reef Roids and RedSea A & B all mixed together and had AMAZING results. 

• Like 3
Cannedfish
17 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Shade those Acan's and feed the crap out of them 3-4 times a week and those colors will come back. 

I fed LPS Max,SPS Max,Reef Roids and RedSea A & B all mixed together and had AMAZING results. 

16 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Definitely agree on the less direct light over them. 

Yeah, the acans that are being completely shaded have pretty amazing color, the problem is... like the drunken redneck I am, I neither believe in shade nor sunscreen. So if anything, I'm going to fix this problem by adding more light. Just kidding, I don't really have a way to  shade them till the SPS grow in, so I guess it's all red acans for the foreseeable future!

Speaking of SPS, my tank has been look pretty good lately. Great PE, very little algae, decent colors, stable alkalinity. For shit's and giggle's, I decided to dust off the old Hanna phospate checker and attempt to give myself a heart attack. And if nothing else, I achieved at least one goal. Apparently, I running my system at .93 ppm of phosphates. I thought that had to be a misreading... So I tested it three more times, each time .93 ppm. Well, shit. Not sure I'm going to let things roll, or try to bring it down. I have pretty much gotten rid of my dino problem, so it might be time to swap the UV filter for the inTank basket, and a little bit of Phosguard. Then again, I can always just crash the system and start over. It's always a coin flip around here. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
Cannedfish

Welp, based on the the fact my “farmers burn tan” is still trending well within the “skin cancer” zone I decided I wouldn’t go fishing (which is otherwise known as aimlessly wandering around the south Louisiana marsh without sunscreen while protecting the fish populations due to a combination of sheer ineptitude and general drunkenness), and instead chose to drive to the fringe of another swamp and spend my mostly hard earned “skrilla” and/or “guap” on some frags I clearly don’t have the room or the aptitude to keep. Anywoo, I drove to Raceland, LA with a hopeful spirit, two cavalier King Charles spaniels, and flip flops stolen from the Copacabana Hotel in Rio, and drove away with a frag of RMF diablo and the newly named Coral Fever Booger Sugar. Returning home, shit got weird...of which I may address in a subsequent post... otherwise...

.... Turrible pics.....

15FE54BB-2290-4CB3-9E0D-05B21B615FCD.jpeg

37D0453E-83E3-42EE-8645-0CA1B34524D0.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 4
Cannedfish

After the cliffhanger in my last post, literally no one has inquired to what happened... how things to a turn towards chaosville, how I may have “screwed the pooch,” how the proverbial “sh*t went sideways.” So I guess cave to the legion of adoring fans and otherwise capitulate to the masses and do the follow-up that, again, literally, no one asked for or wanted. So let’s go back in time and set the scene...

It was late on a Saturday night, my legs felt like lead, but I couldn’t stop running. Despite a couple of close calls, the police hadn’t caught me. The ruck sack on my back seemed like it weighted a thousand pounds, but that was a good thing... it was full of the gold I had just taken from the...

Shoot, wrong scene, let’s try that again...

I had just returned from Raceland, and it was finally time to address the elephant in the room. The fact that my acans, much like my quarantine beard, were getting a little out of control and were beginning to grow over each other. While normally I wouldn’t care, because as an anarchist neo-feudal libertarian feminist, I firmly believe that the world is controlled by a cabal of lizard people, are more pointedly, in the survival of the fittest. Thus, when you enter the thunderdome, you’re on your own. But, since I’m not completely crazy, and there was a colony of electric green acans that I would rather not lose (have yet to see another acan frag as solidly bright green), I put on my cleanest pair of overalls, threw on my jazziest shrimp boots, queued up some Rockin’ Dopsie on the old eight track player, and got to work. For the three of you still reading, you may be (but are likely not... As you are too consumed wishing this post was over) why was I dreading this seemingly menial task? We’ll, I’ll tell you, because  this process involved moving the main rock, pulling up the large frag tiles that I had stupidly mounted the six colonies of acans to, which meant pulling up half of the tank’s sandbed, and creating a detritus storm of epic proportions. Overall this meant a lot of hands being in the tank and necessitated a huge water change, none of which is great for a tank on the rebound. Furthermore, I also used this opportunity to move a blasto colony, relocating the setosa frag, and mounting the two new acro frags. To summarize, things went, more or less, to plan, I only broke two acros and had to remount another that I broke off during the process. Anyways, this post is already too long, especially for someone who hasn’t had his cup of morning gin coffee. So if anyone is still reading....

Terrible pictures!

17C31FB1-6D5A-44E8-9B82-38D25775CCC0.jpeg

F409C1CB-FC09-4EC2-855A-9870DE0C6F8C.jpeg

FF261F01-0280-4FF0-8894-EAEA69A84719.jpeg

(oh and May the Fourth be with you...)

• Like 10
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

After the cliffhanger in my last post, literally no one has inquired to what happened... how things to a turn towards chaosville, how I may have “screwed the pooch,” how the proverbial “sh*t went sideways.” So I guess cave to the legion of adoring fans and otherwise capitulate to the masses and do the follow-up that, again, literally, no one asked for or wanted. So let’s go back in time and set the scene...

It was late on a Saturday night, my legs felt like lead, but I couldn’t stop running. Despite a couple of close calls, the police hadn’t caught me. The ruck sack on my back seemed like it weighted a thousand pounds, but that was a good thing... it was full of the gold I had just taken from the...

I had just returned from Raceland, and it was finally time to address the elephant in the room. The fact that my acans, much like my quarantine beard, were getting a little out of control and were beginning to grow over each other. While normally I wouldn’t care, because as an anarchist neo-feudal libertarian feminist, I firmly believe that the world is controlled by a cabal of lizard people, are more pointedly, in the survival of the fittest. Thus, when you enter the thunderdome, you’re on your own. But, since I’m not completely crazy, and there was a colony of electric green acans that I would rather not lose (have yet to see another acan frag as solidly bright green), I put on my cleanest pair of overalls, threw on my jazziest shrimp boots, queued up some Rockin’ Dopsie on the old eight track player, and got to work. For the three of you still reading, you may be (but are likely not... As you are too consumed wishing this post was over) why was I dreading this seemingly menial task? We’ll, I’ll tell you, because  this process involved moving the main rock, pulling up the large frag tiles that I had stupidly mounted the six colonies of acans to, which meant pulling up half of the tank’s sandbed, and creating a detritus storm of epic proportions. Overall this meant a lot of hands being in the tank and necessitated a huge water change, none of which is great for a tank on the rebound. Furthermore, I also used this opportunity to move a blasto colony, relocating the setosa frag, and mounting the two new acro frags. To summarize, things went, more or less, to plan, I only broke two acros and had to remount another that I broke off during the process. Anyways, this post is already too long, especially for someone who hasn’t had his cup of morning gin coffee. So if anyone is still reading....

Terrible pictures!

I read it all. I love reading your posts so keep em coming my friend 🤗. Tank looks amazing 👌. Will acans actually smoother each other to the point that they die? Very curious is all.

2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Can’t tell any difference, all your hard work resulted in nothing. 
🤷🏻‍♂️  
(back to my Bloody Mary....)

Shit where's mine mitten! 🙃

Ohh do tell about the first part please 🤣

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Terrible pictures!

I'm about to fall down a Rockin Dopsie black hole. So will return to this later

• Haha 3
teenyreef
7 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

These posts are better than reading a Cosmo magazine

I've been looking for a way to describe @Cannedfish posts in one line for a while. This is definitely a worthy contender 😎

Edit: but I agree, I can't really tell the difference so you didn't screw it up too bad 🙂

• Haha 6
Cannedfish

Mailbag Time!!

On 5/4/2020 at 9:55 AM, mitten_reef said:

Can’t tell any difference, all your hard work resulted in nothing. 

This has also been said about my efforts in the following situations: 1) diet and exercise. Despite going for a walk, my physique could still be described as the unholy cross between a under-cooked doughnut and a sock full of soggy grapenuts; 2) my attempts to learn how to loud whistle. 3) Law school. 

On 5/4/2020 at 12:21 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Will acans actually smoother each other to the point that they die? Very curious is all.

Much like tweens at a Bieber concert, Acans are usually fine getting all smushed together, getting all sweating, and crying about how lil' Jimmy likes Ashley more, however, at the same time, much like soccer fans at the bottom of a stadium stampede, they don't like it when they are being completely trampled by greasy hooligans wearing ugly Fila's. The green guys, which were the "hostage" being extracted in this mission, were being completely covered by the two acans next to them. The crux of the problem, I believe, is that the green acans are micros and surrounding acans are (feudal) lords so essentially the greens were bringing a knife to a gun fight. If you need another confusing metaphor, think of the micros as Poland and the surrounding acans as every other country ever, essentially they were being taken to the wood shed at every opportunity. 

On 5/4/2020 at 12:29 PM, Ratvan said:

I'm about to fall down a Rockin Dopsie black hole. 

First off, I should have clarified. While Rockin Dopsie is great (pour some out for the king of zydeco), Rockin Dopsie Jr. is in a category of his own. First off, I'm pretty sure his real legal name is Rockin, second, I' pretty sure the real legal name of his brother is Tiger, third, I'm pretty sure he is the magical and slightly experimental cross between Brett Michaels, a voodoo witch, the idealized 1970's archetype of a New Orleans' pimp, with a dash of Louisiana swamp people tossed in the Gumbo pot. It was as if God drunkenly lost a bet one night, and was like eff-it "hold my beer." Hell, the last time we saw him live he was wearing two different cowboy boots, because he dances so hard he had worn the left one out but apparently didn't want to throw the right one out yet. Also he was wearing a leather vest in August in Louisiana. If that doesn't impress you, well, nothing will. 

On 5/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, teenyreef said:

I've been looking for a way to describe @Cannedfish posts in one line for a while. 🙂

I learned very early in my short entertainment career as birthday clown, if you don't have talent, turn to humor, if you're not funny then become a serial killer. Wait, no that was John Wayne Gacy... easy mix-up. Anyways, since the Haus of Blen is in a constant state of anarchy, I have resorted to the trusty combination of bad dad jokes, banal attempts at jovial banter, and, frankly, confusing analogies, as a means to distract from shoddy photo skills and worse tank husbandry. At best, it's slightly working, at worse... time to start digging holes in the basement. 

Wow, this took a dark turn. 

On 5/4/2020 at 12:53 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

These posts are better than reading a Cosmo magazine

I feel like this is a pretty big slight to Cosmo. Without Cosmo how would we know any of the follow: 1) our monthly horoscopes. Honestly, I would be flying completely blind. How would I ever know, when or if I should steer clear of spending my rent money on scratchers; 2)  Guy Butt Watch ’99. Great year, great article, great butts.; 3) it's called "fashion," look it up. 

On 5/4/2020 at 11:13 PM, Harrisonbored said:

A Tom Robbins short story about a George Rodrique Blue Dog painting

Real talk. The Blue Dog paints are... fine. But Rodrique's early work, painting Acadian portraits and life scenes, were legit fire. I'm pretty pissed 1) I didn't grab one cheap at an auction a couple years ago; 2) he had to selfishly go off and die before that opportunity arose again. Now all his painting are selling at prices several tax brackets above my pay grade. 

On 5/5/2020 at 3:22 AM, Ratvan said:

Well Rockin' Dopsie Summertime is now my hold music for work, @Cannedfish i'll stop in here again for further music recommendations.

The humour in this thread is incredible, oh look, pictures of fish and coral too

This is amazing and made my day. I have nothing more to add. 

Reasonably mediocre picture time!!! 

ASD Rainbow Mille:

EB8529A1-8BBE-4F83-9667-E2C85C945141.thumb.jpeg.31cfe86f8496e3a22fe1de77d3a976eb.jpeg

Grafted Cap... Should have gotten one of these soon...

D6BF8E8B-B569-4EC2-8938-C7778EA907E8.thumb.jpeg.ec0caedd14ebcc42bee2e9080fea8bb2.jpeg

Unknown Favia... Really love its colors...

2750D7B9-8FE9-40D5-A556-1A7904C31514.thumb.jpeg.c91f0ce0afdabebfc41ac0176ec6b5dd.jpeg

Quarantine buddy... since @teenyreef was showing off his floofers...

3652811D-2106-42EA-890D-9E23934BA212.thumb.jpeg.5b2616f8faf5659d35ff923990331abb.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3