inTank Media Baskets

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Dosing: 2x drops of the following daily: KZ acroglow (*$&@(@$ expensive!), KZ Pohl's Extra, KZ Coral Vitalizer, KZ LPS Amino Acids, KZ Sponge Power, Microbactur7 (got rid of all hair algae, DT's Phytoplankton. I also dose alk, depending on my levels. 

I hope you are dosing more than Alk or you are headed for a slow crash.  Are you using 2 part?

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, markalot said:

I hope you are dosing more than Alk or you are headed for a slow crash.  Are you using 2 part?

I do use 2 part, but have only been dosing alk, as the calcium always tests right where it should be. My alk levels, however, are always really low (hovers at 7). Should I been dosing calcium too, even though the calcium level is correct? Also I really appreciate the help!

22 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

I do use 2 part, but have only been dosing alk, as the calcium always tests right where it should be. My alk levels, however, are always really low (hovers at 7). Should I been dosing calcium too, even though the calcium level is correct? Also I really appreciate the help!

Always dose equal parts, calcium doesn't move that much and can easily be missed by hobby grade kits.  Trust the chemistry.  :)   

• Like 2

So some of the acros have finally decided to throw out some branches, which is great. Unfortunately, it seems that only the ugly nondescript frags got that memo, which cool I guess. As they say, ugly acros need love too. 

In in other news, I found my first aiptasia hiding among the zoas in unloved zoa island this week. This discovery promptly unleashed a code red alarm, and the tank went on a Cold War style lock down. Speed ahead to the weekend, and unloved zoa island had the pleasure of being summarily pulled out of the tank, the aiptasia scalpeled off the rock, and that area treated with lemon juice. I’m sure some zoas will be caught in the crossfire, but to quote both the Ghetto Boyz and Homey D. Clown (deep cut reference) “Homey don’t play dat.” Following this, the tank enjoyed a deep clean and a rolling 80% water change. Fingers crossed but everything (except on acro with some really slow STN) looks happy. In corporate speak, the outlook for Q2 is to move past the marked fluctuations and instability that characterized Q1 and begin to see noticeable and continued growth across all tank sectors. I think we can all agree corporate work culture is the worst. 

Also, I have officially made my donation to the winner of frag grow out contest, which I’m super excited about. My victim should be arriving at the end of the week... I just wish they had a consolation prize for those who manage to kill their frag quickest. My name is already on that award. Come on, this is American; where is my participation trophy?

Anyways, as always, here are some “below benchmark” photos. 

A33DFB0E-4EDB-45FB-889D-7CECC0B10F17.jpeg

A38DD610-B679-4BFA-8C9E-39289C3C3169.jpeg

E5FB8422-EF7D-4F65-9CEA-FF4658F3BCCA.jpeg

• Like 4

Monthly Update time... boring addition. 

The theme of the last month has been attempted-stability. After battling swings of all types, I am just trying to get things to just settle back in. I still have several acros that are showing some STN at the base. In attempts to halt the progression, I super glued over some of the affected areas, but after some helpful advice from @markalot I'm just going to see what happens. Oddly, enough, the acro frags that were haphazardly glued to the back wall have seemed unaffected, and further still, they are by far the fastest growing pieces. I'm sure this has been written about elsewhere, but I'm thinking this is in part due to horizontal mounting.

I have lost two frags over the last month, but there have been some noteworthy additions. First, from a great local New Orleans  back alley dealer (probably should shout him out at some point), I was able to pick up some fancy named pieces: WWC After Party & SC Orange Passion. For some reason I haven't posted either of them. Probably, because the WWC After Party just looks like a small booger at this point, but assuming it survives (stretch) I am pretty excited about what it could turn into. And though, the SC OP, has yet to color up, I love the polyp shape, and have high hopes (which coincidentally are the best hopes to crush) for it. Next, from Fragniappe, I added a forest fire digi, another fathead dendro, a Walt Disney Frag, and RFA feeder anemone (read about its fate above). Furthermore, since I am a sucker for peer pressure, I was swindled (thanks @Nola Bear & @micoastreefing) into entering donating money to the winner of the acro grow out contest. And in about an hour an half a frag of Upscales Microlados and a mystery frag is scheduled to arrive from @Cultivated Reef. I'm not sure what condition they will arrive in but Cultivated Reef has so far been a really great vendor to deal with. To highlight this, when ordering the contest frag, I messaged them about my love of strange and about the possibility of ordering a dealer's choice acro frag. Their response was basically, "hold my beer." Awesome. Last, but not least, I added another possum wrasse. After the last one died (soul crushing), I have been hesitant to add another fish. But a really good looking Tanaka's came up really cheap, and I decided to give another try. So far he is eating well, and seems comfortable, but we will see. In the grand tradition of giving bad names to fish, the Lady-Friend has name this P-Wrasse: Lorp. That not a typo or a good name. 

He is a terrible overly green'd out FTS for March (I swear the tank looks better in person... if only marginally):

FTS 3.16.18

I apologize for the long and less than riveting post this month. Sometimes, you just need to roll up your sleeves, not make bad analogies and document your tank's progress. Life can't always be just poop jokes and bad puns. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 3
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

That's killer FTS!

I second that ^!!!  I see a lot more than just green. 

@Cannedfish Do you change your PrimeHD to different color temperature for photo?   I highly recommend taking the photos at the 15000K-17000K preset.  You'd need very little adjustment per my experience.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

That's killer FTS!

Thanks man!! It's a miracle everything is still living (I think) after the last two months. You can't tell by the picture, but Blenwood is ominously mouthing "see, this is why you can't have nice things!" (actually you can't see that aqua hot-dog in the photo at all)

7 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

I second that ^!!!  I see a lot more than just green. 

@Cannedfish Do you change your PrimeHD to different color temperature for photo?   I highly recommend taking the photos at the 15000K-17000K preset.  You'd need very little adjustment per my experience.  

Thanks! I do change the color and intensity of the AIPrime when I take photos. Depending on the camera I'm attempting (failing) to use, I have been setting the temperature to around 12000K (explains the green). I will try bumping it up a little, however, at higher temps  I have struggled to dial-in the white balance so not to  have the sand look like a neon brothel sign lighting up the Reno horizon. In reality, the problem is that my photography skills, much my like my golf swing, are terrible. Handing me a camera and expecting Andreas Gursky is essentially like handing a chimp a scalpel and expecting a successful heart transplant. 

• Like 1
On 3/22/2018 at 6:55 AM, HippieSquirrel said:

Aqua hotdog.  love it.  Extremely accurate description.  

Great shot!  I’m amazed you can fit all those frags in there.  

Thanks! As we all know TSB’s are truly a national treasure, right up there with people watching at outlet malls, Britney Spears psychological meltdowns, and funnel cake. 

There are definitely a lot of frags, but somewhere along the line I mistakenly got it in my head that my tank wouldn’t be MC Hammer legit if I didn’t grow it out from tiny frags. Being that I’m “done stubborn’r than a tired mule,” even after I realized this was not only dumb, but I probably wouldn’t live long enough to see I through, I obviously doubled down on my idea.  As a result, all my frags started out less than an inch long (except maybe two), and most less than half an inch, thus I can fit a wallet-destroying amount of frags. The question is, what happens when they grow out?

— 

Anyways, here’s a quick pic of the Upscales Microlados for the grow out contest. It showed up in great condition, acclimated well, and was give a heart felt pep talk about the meaning of winning (if you’re not first you’re last, and last rhymes with “smarbage smisposal”). 

67424386-B5B8-4544-B5FF-B25C1CAE5E4A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
On 3/8/2018 at 10:41 AM, micoastreefing said:

Here's my attempt at giving an advice, possibly my first - takes it with a grain of salt.  Let the tank do its thing - yeah, shocker.   Most of the best looking tanks on here, like @HarryPotter's or @markalot's, or @teenyreef's 10-gallon tank, have all been running for years.  And their tanks have matured into each own sweet spots.  In the meantime, just be sure to be consistent about everything, keeping parameters in check, routine maintenance, etc.  Consistency is key to success in this hobby, many people seem to like to rush things.  My current tank is 3+ years in-the-making, granted it went through a couple overhauls with tank upgrades.  Your tank is shaping up to be great as long as you keep at it, I have yet to read any major oops on your tank journal, until these water changes with unsalted water.  

As far as coloring up the corals, I assumed you're talking about mostly SPS color issue. Here are a few things to keep in mind, or do a bit of a research on, in no particular order:

• r u dosing any liquid supplements, like acropower, aquavitro fuel, or similar? 
  • r u feeding them for any particulate food, like reef roid? 
  • How much further can you push your light?  Most acros and SPS love light, but be mindful of the PAR (do your own research on this too).  I'd say I noticed significant changes in mine once my tank got a little shallower (i.e. it has better light penetration).  
  • what are your means of nutrient exports?  Is it adequate?  

Thanks for the props, but I have to confess that in my 10g tank, I check alk almost every day because the dosing levels needed are constantly fluctuating. I read all about how you start dosing by measuring every day, then adjusting the dose, and then after a week or so you've got it locked in and never change it for months.

My dosing levels change by as much as 50% sometimes. I don't really know why but it seems to be tied to fluctuating nutrient levels and corresponding changes in growth rates. I just chalk it up to the challenge of growing lots of sps in a 10g tank which isn't really supposed to be allowed by the coral gods.

Don't feel bad about cramming in too many corals, though. Although the ones with tentacles can be a real problem. But in my tanks, I always have enough acros eventually die that I'm glad to have too many to begin with. Besides, if they start to outgrow the tank that means you have an iron clad excuse to upgrade.

Everything looks fantastic, keep up the good work.

PS: I want a barbie birdsnest too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 3/25/2018 at 12:40 PM, micoastreefing said:

Man, your contest frag!!! :wub: 

You should see it now! It's a delightful shade of... brown. But it looks happy!

I must say, I'm pretty excited to start the contest trash talking. This is definitely new territory for me when it comes to competition related mud slinging, and I'm not totally sure I'm adequately prepared. If there was ever a nerdier thing to trash talk about, my metaphorical younger self was probably shoving it into a figurative locker. 

On 3/25/2018 at 1:29 PM, Indiana Reefin said:

Man oh man!! Your corals are thriving! Great photography skills

Thanks! Figures crossed they stay that way. Unless you are in Vietnam where that gesture is considered rude. 

On 3/25/2018 at 10:14 PM, teenyreef said:

Thanks for the props, but I have to confess that in my 10g tank, I check alk almost every day because the dosing levels needed are constantly fluctuating. I read all about how you start dosing by measuring every day, then adjusting the dose, and then after a week or so you've got it locked in and never change it for months.

My dosing levels change by as much as 50% sometimes. I don't really know why but it seems to be tied to fluctuating nutrient levels and corresponding changes in growth rates. I just chalk it up to the challenge of growing lots of sps in a 10g tank which isn't really supposed to be allowed by the coral gods.

Don't feel bad about cramming in too many corals, though. Although the ones with tentacles can be a real problem. But in my tanks, I always have enough acros eventually die that I'm glad to have too many to begin with. Besides, if they start to outgrow the tank that means you have an iron clad excuse to upgrade.

Everything looks fantastic, keep up the good work.

PS: I want a barbie birdsnest too!

I appreciate the advice! Not counting when I attempted a WC with fresh water... I think many of my problems have been associated with chasing numbers. When I started dosing to increase alk, etc. that's when the swings started and the proverbial sh$t started going south. Since I have gone back to my tried and true extreme water change schedule, things are back to looking ...err... less-on-the-verge-of-death-y. Maybe there will come a time when I need to dose, but until then, I am just going to have to accept the fact that, like my dreams of being professional pinball player, I just don't have the skillz.

Also, outside of my love of inconsequential British titles  (I needed more  than  three  hyperlinks to fully illustrate this absurdity) I'm not sure of many things, I am, however, certain Barbie Birdsnest needs to become a reality. Maybe we can start a movement and get Holly at @Cultivated Reef to help make this happen. It's 2018 dammit, I am willing to march on Washington over this issue.  Obviously, the description would be: Diamonds aren't a girl's best friend, anymore. I would 100% buy it on that tagline alone. 

By the way, I am excited that you joined the grow-up contest!

• Like 4

I refuse to grow up. But I'll certainly participate in the trash talk while my coral stubbornly encrusts without any vertical growth whatsoever over the next six months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 3/27/2018 at 9:39 PM, teenyreef said:

I refuse to grow up. But I'll certainly participate in the trash talk while my coral stubbornly encrusts without any vertical growth whatsoever over the next six months.

It’s all about the spin. If it’s only encrusting, it means it’s setting up the BOH support structures necessary to have a huge late stage growth spurt. If it’s like mine, and doesn’t grow at all, it’s cuz I’m a sandbagging SOB who is going to wait to the last week before I make a fabled late night run (i.e. cheat). If I lose, whatever fake news; I didn’t want to win anyways, plus y’all are cheaters and the system is rigged.

Here are some non-working bad Friday photos for y’all’s enjoyment (pun intended). I figured if I didn’t have to do ‘real’ work/adult today, I might was well post something before getting allegedly ‘over-served’ at a boozy lunch in the French Quarter this afternoon. If you see me passed out in a bus stop later, please put me in a cab, my address will be Sharpie’d on the back of my hand. I leave emergency money for these occasions in the inside breast pocket of my suit coat. Please, keep the change. Thank you. 

91036E3B-6899-49B1-BD6F-1A204E8AD3F3.jpeg

FD38730F-2CA0-42C0-B338-4C807F80EEAB.jpeg

B6B4F1CA-319D-4813-ACBB-6B0E1824329A.jpeg

1503CD4B-BD92-48F0-9C34-146188C04264.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 4
mitten_reef
15 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

It’s all about the spin. If it’s only encrusting, it means it’s setting up the BOH support structures necessary to have a huge late stage growth spurt. If it’s like mine, and doesn’t grow at all, it’s cuz I’m a sandbagging SOB who is going to wait to the last week before I make a fabled late night run (i.e. cheat). If I lose, whatever fake news; I didn’t want to win anyways, plus y’all are cheaters and the system is rigged.

Here are some non-working bad Friday photos for y’all’s enjoyment (pun intended). I figured if I didn’t have to do ‘real’ work/adult today, I might was well post something before getting allegedly ‘over-served’ at a boozy lunch in the French Quarter this afternoon. If you see me passed out in a bus stop later, please put me in a cab, my address will be Sharpie’d on the back of my hand. I leave emergency money for these occasions in the inside breast pocket of my suit coat. Please, keep the change. Thank you. 

91036E3B-6899-49B1-BD6F-1A204E8AD3F3.jpeg

FD38730F-2CA0-42C0-B338-4C807F80EEAB.jpeg

B6B4F1CA-319D-4813-ACBB-6B0E1824329A.jpeg

1503CD4B-BD92-48F0-9C34-146188C04264.jpeg

what is wrong (or right?) with your fungia plate?  why is it always so puffy looking?

Those topdown pics are amazing, especially the blue clam!  I think i'm gonna start following Blen_Reef IG more often, some nice pics on there.

BTW, Oberon is out in full force, go grab some.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

what is wrong (or right?) with your fungia plate?  why is it always so puffy looking?

Those topdown pics are amazing, especially the blue clam!  I think i'm gonna start following Blen_Reef IG more often, some nice pics on there.

BTW, Oberon is out in full force, go grab some.  

I think the plate is just super super happy... or on drugs ... you can’t trust these kids today... It’s definitely crazy, I’ve yet to see anything like it. It kinda looks like a bounce shroom on roids. We call it the disco biscuit, because it’s all puffed up on ‘luudes and the sweet melodies of Donna Summer!  Believe it or not, that there biscuit was actually at studio 54, gettin’ weird, when Bianca Jagger rode the horse on the dance floor. The biscuit also isn’t afraid to wear white jeans after Labor Day. 

Also, I now on the active hunt for Oberon, if I don’t consume one in the next hour, consider my life a failure. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

It’s all about the spin. If it’s only encrusting, it means it’s setting up the BOH support structures necessary to have a huge late stage growth spurt.

This is exactly what I told everyone in middle school! It was true, then I turned 30 and began “encrusting” again.... 

That’s not a muffin top! I’m encrusting.

Dat blue maxima doh?!?!?

• Haha 8
6 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

This is exactly what I told everyone in middle school! It was true, then I turned 30 and began “encrusting” again.... 

That’s not a muffin top! I’m encrusting.

Dat blue maxima doh?!?!?

So that's what I've been doing for the last 30 years! I had no idea. Still waiting for the growth spurt built on the encrusted foundation though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1