Coral Vue Hydros

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

i just want to say i love this thread

i don't know what's more charming and likeable so far, the commentary or the tank haha B)

welcome to the IM10 club.  following!

On 9/23/2017 at 8:50 PM, Rene said:

Loving this tank!  That possum wrasse has nailed the shifty-but-cute niche somehow...

It's definitely a strange niche. Anytime you can use the adjectives creep and adorable in the same sentence something it is generally amiss. Like "Golly gee, that guy is a creep, but the kittens he says are in the back of his van sure sound adorable..." Stay away from that guy, do not get in that van. With that being said, maybe possum wrasses aren't as great as advertised. I have been wondering how the kittens he/she says are in the possum cave have been breathing under water? I do love kittens, maybe I should just go check...

On 9/24/2017 at 1:39 AM, gone_PHiSHin said:

i just want to say i love this thread

i don't know what's more charming and likeable so far, the commentary or the tank haha B)

welcome to the IM10 club.  following!

Thanks! I can't promise that any of the future content will be any good, largely since I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. And whatever I am doing, is generally being done several bourbons deep. But that pretty much sums up a New Orleanean; we have no idea what going on, we've probably be drinking (it's fine, it's after 7:30 am), but we hope to have at least enough charm to fool you into believing that the house isn't entirely burning down (we should probably call 911). Whatever does happen, however, there's a pretty good chance that it's going to be a good time. To quote the sagacious Kermit Ruffins,"All aboard!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

First attempt at a top down shot. Way more difficult than it seems it should be. Anyways you can see how much real esatate there is left to fill. That's the sausage boy himself, B-$, lounging at the entrance of the Blen-hole, begging for more food, when what he really needs is threadmill... and a job.  

IMG_0325.PNG

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

haha that's funny, my TSB hangs out in a little hole dead center of my rock work, pretty much exactly where yours is, and any time i come observe the tank he leaves his home and comes to beg for food.  

i love him for it, it's hilarious.  i'll put my face to the glass to observe, and immediately so does he.  like, "what are you looking at?  just toss some food in big guy"

nice top down!  some great colors in there, it'll fill in nicely.

2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

That's the sausage boy himself, B-$, lounging at the entrance of the Blen-hole, begging for more food, when what he really needs is threadmill... and a job.  

IMG_0325.PNG

If the B-man gets any chunkier, he will enter the 4th dimension. That's one seriously healthy fish.  Magnificent colors in this shot too. 

2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

First attempt at a top down shot. Way more difficult than it seems it should be. Anyways you can see how much real esatate there is left to fill. That's the sausage boy himself, B-$, lounging at the entrance of the Blen-hole, begging for more food, when what he really needs is threadmill... and a job.  

IMG_0325.PNG

It does look like a Lisa Frank party! :lol: I adored Lisa Frank as a girl, #dontjudge.

14 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

haha that's funny, my TSB hangs out in a little hole dead center of my rock work, pretty much exactly where yours is, and any time i come observe the tank he leaves his home and comes to beg for food.  

i love him for it, it's hilarious.  i'll put my face to the glass to observe, and immediately so does he.  like, "what are you looking at?  just toss some food in big guy"

nice top down!  some great colors in there, it'll fill in nicely.

Thank you! I appreciate the support! I surr dun no thurrs da google machine, but still I wish I could 1) figure out how to take clearer pictures (stupid white balance); 2) how to load more than one photo without going over the 6mb limit (stupid picture size); 3) how many licks it truly takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop (stupid owl).

10 hours ago, hinnenkm said:

Love the colors, beautiful looking tank!

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Rene said:

If the B-man gets any chunkier, he will enter the 4th dimension. That's one seriously healthy fish.  Magnificent colors in this shot too. 

B-Money-Cash-Dollar-Dollar is in whatever the best dimension is. In fact, he's basically living the life of a former child star and current C-list celebrity: wakes up, and immediately stuffs his face with food (Rod's is his fav); after an overly nutritious breaky, he get on his celly and call his bestie to go to the mall (flutter around with the Possum Wrasse for like 10 secs (swimming is a lot of work), after strenuously gallivanting around the mall, he heads to the pool (his home) and parks his fat-ass on a chaise lounge (it's actually a montipora) and stares at the cat. #goals

12 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It does look like a Lisa Frank party! :lol: I adored Lisa Frank as a girl, #dontjudge.

I would be upset if you didn't still love Lisa Frank. '90 trapper keeper and pencil boxes are/were the best... Someone should definitely call their tank "Lisa Frank' '90's pencil box!" To someone out there, you're welcome.

I wish I could figure out how to capture the colors better, I have three or four or six corals that I still haven't posted because I can't figure out how to get them to look right. If I bought a frag solely on the basis that it looked like someone let a toddler loose with a highlighter, well damn it, I want the photos to reflect that!

5 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Let's make an agreement, everytime before you make an update on this thread you have a few drinks. 

Challenge accepted! Grammar might suffer, but it wasn't great to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Drink of the moment: Parrish Brewing, Ghost in the Machine (only three in, so things will be tame)

For all you possum fans, here's a shoddy pic of Blen-Daddy, and his bestie, P-Dubs, scouring for food over unloved zoa island. Included in the photo for no extra charge is a snail. Normally, the tiny male sexy shrimp is king of this island, but he must have been off galavanting with the ladies somewhere else (brown-chicken-brown-cow). Seriously though, these two fishes are awkwardly friends. I feel like I may have to start sewing B-Money into his sheets (Amish style) when I tuck him in for bed (after I read him his favorite bedtime story "This Is Not My Hat") 

In other news, I having a slight browning issue with my acros. I have been testing the water, and have no phosphates or nitrate, and everything else seems to be in line (with a 15% daily water change, I would hope so). So I'm wondering if I have either too little or too much light.  Right now I'm running an AI Prime at abou 60%, I have included a screenshot (yup, the tank is called SS Muffin), but don't know which way to adjust it (I have been through all the AI Prime threads). 

I was was hoping someone would lend a hand, maybe give some advice. If it works, I may even send you a treat from NOLA (I promise it won't be Bourbon St. AIDS). 

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.PNG

• Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Since not much has been happening in the 10 gallon box of horrors. I wanted to turn the spotlight on one of Blen-Daddy's less know tank mates: Beau Bear. Now I know, the livestock police will be all up in arms about keeping a sea turtle in such a small tank, but in reality, they aren't even real police, and whatever, as we say in the south, "Hold my beer."

Anyways, to help anyone thinking of keeping a sea turtle, here are some things I have learned about their husbandry. As a note, however, I believe sea turtle care is highly species dependent, so these tips may not apply to all types of sea turtle. With out further ado, 1) sea turtles have a lot more hair your run-of-the-mill reptile; 2) they enjoy rolling in garbage and the putrid corpses of dead animals; 3) despite being call a 'sea' turtle, they strangely don't really like water, but would rather bark at the waves (also they bark); 4) they spend much of their day napping, and getting angry at the sight of dogs on the tv; 5) despite apparently living in the sea, if they drink saltwater they will throw up all over the backseat of your car; 6) it appears they have formed a commensal relationship with certain species of feline, in which they eat cat poop and the cats aren't harmed or even interested in their existence; 7) they are generally "good boys."

Let me know if you have any experience with these animals or have any questions about their care. 

Sea Turtle.PNG

• Haha 6

Love this thread!

With regards to the browning acro issue, it may not be the light. You mentioned your phos and nitrates are at zero. If it is true zero, then this is too low. Everything I've read, and been told, regarding target ranges for best acro colors is phos under 0.03 ppm, but not zero, and nitrates between 2-5, but also not all the way down to zero. While they do better in low nutrient systems they do require a small amount of nutrients to thrive. Some one else more experienced feel free to correct me if I am way off base. 

4 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Since not much has been happening in the 10 gallon box of horrors. I wanted to turn the spotlight on one of Blen-Daddy's less know tank mates: Beau Bear. Now I know, the livestock police will be all up in arms about keeping a sea turtle in such a small tank, but in reality, they aren't even real police, and whatever, as we say in the south, "Hold my beer."

Anyways, to help anyone thinking of keeping a sea turtle, here are some things I have learned about their husbandry. As a note, however, I believe sea turtle care is highly species dependent, so these tips may not apply to all types of sea turtle. With out further ado, 1) sea turtles have a lot more hair your run-of-the-mill reptile; 2) they enjoy rolling in garbage and the putrid corpses of dead animals; 3) despite being call a 'sea' turtle, they strangely don't really like water, but would rather bark at the waves (also they bark); 4) they spend much of their day napping, and getting angry at the sight of dogs on the tv; 5) despite apparently living in the sea, if they drink saltwater they will throw up all over the backseat of your car; 6) it appears they have formed a commensal relationship with certain species of feline, in which they eat cat poop and the cats aren't harmed or even interested in their existence; 7) they are generally "good boys."

Let me know if you have any experience with these animals or have any questions about their care. 

Sea Turtle.PNG

I love sea turtles, and this one is a particularly adorable specimen! :lol: NC has a license tag with a sea turtle on it lol.

1 hour ago, TheBig053 said:

Love this thread!

With regards to the browning acro issue, it may not be the light. You mentioned your phos and nitrates are at zero. If it is true zero, then this is too low. Everything I've read, and been told, regarding target ranges for best acro colors is phos under 0.03 ppm, but not zero, and nitrates between 2-5, but also not all the way down to zero. While they do better in low nutrient systems they do require a small amount of nutrients to thrive. Some one else more experienced feel free to correct me if I am way off base. 

Thanks! I noticed you also have an AI Prime, by chance what settings are you run your AI Prime at? Specifically, your cool whites?

35 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I love sea turtles, and this one is a particularly adorable specimen! :lol: NC has a license tag with a sea turtle on it lol.

He's a pretty great sea turtle, however, he's an even better pirate!

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the Nawth Cackalacky's sea turtle licence plate is the very thing that made Petey Pablo take his "shirt off" and "twist it round [his] hand" and "spin it like a helicopter" in 2001.

Yep, that was it. 

3 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Thanks! I noticed you also have an AI Prime, by chance what settings are you run your AI Prime at? Specifically, your cool whites?

He's a pretty great sea turtle, however, he's an even better pirate!

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the Nawth Cackalacky's sea turtle licence plate is the very thing that made Petey Pablo take his "shirt off" and "twist it round [his] hand" and "spin it like a helicopter" in 2001.

Yep, that was it. 

I have no idea who or what you're referencing but it sounds interesting lol. :lol: NC had pirates back in the day!  #blackbeardsrevenge

You know you're in New Orleans when, 1) it's 3:30 in the morning and you're walking home wearing gold leggings, a marching band jacket (that's two sizes too small), a captain's hat, sunglasses, but somehow have lost your shoes; 2) when at the grocery store stocking up for a possible hurricane no one is buying water or canned goods, but rather, shopping carts are full of beer and chips; 3) you're five hours away from a hurricane's landfall and you're local reef club still holds a frag swap (thanks to Coral Connection) and leading up to the swap, rather than talking about Nate, people we're concerned about how many people were showing up to make sure there was enough Gumbo (and beer). We may be last in literacy and certainty in general health, but damnit we know how to have a good time. 

Anyway, we're sitting here, drinking beer and eating chips, waiting for the power to go out (three car battery in reserve for the tank), and wanted to show of the frag swap pick ups: some kind of blue acro and a tiny bit o' ultra ricordea (that will hopefully turn into a tumble-ricordae and keep me up at night).

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good choices at the frag swap!  And your ciry's hurricane prep sounds suspiciously similar to Houston's...here's to hoping it's a non-event, other than an excuse for a hurricane party!

21 hours ago, Rene said:

Good choices at the frag swap!  And your ciry's hurricane prep sounds suspiciously similar to Houston's...here's to hoping it's a non-event, other than an excuse for a hurricane party!

Thanks!! Luckily, Nate turned out to be a nothing burger, which just means we have an excuse to blame Jim Cantori for our fully stocked wine fridge. Thanks for nothing Jimbo! 

8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Lol hope the hurricane turns out to be a non issue for you!  Can't believe ya'll's stores don't sell out of bread and milk! :lol:

Basically, I think New Orleans' view of storms is, "who needs bread and milk, when you could have Bud Light and Zapp's."

No one's gonna be making them milk sandwiches here. 

• Haha 1

Here are a couple shoddy pictures of some acans (I think). The acan echinata is a recent pick up and to my untrained eyes seems to be happy (although this could just be a ploy to lull me into a state of comfort only to quickly die, crash the tank, and dropkick my spirit into the 'Infinite Pit of Despair' (where cable is included, but you only get grainy re-runs of The Real Housewifes & Rock of Love with Brett Michaels... its a grim place).  The second is what I think may/could be an acan lord? I am no expert when it comes to just about anything (apart from maybe my strong personal opinions on futility of the cummerbund in modern society and the general awesomeness of Carhartt overalls and Swims loafers), and acan identification is certainty in my 'not-an-expert' category. Whenever I see acan lords (or what I think are acan lords), however, they don't seem to look like this. When I asked the the lady-friend for her opinion, she shrugged, said it looked like an enflamed b***h**e, and went back to watching the Real Housewifes (valid comment, but no real help). Furthermore, unlike the aforementioned echinata, this coral is out to break hearts; always looking for the first opportunity to shrivel, pout, and get all dramatic. Basically, it's the middle school girl of my tank. 

Either way, feel free to disparage the photographic quality or help confirm the identity of this thing. Just avoid the pit of despair, because unlike fine wine Brett Michael's has not gotten better with age, however, his wig-game is strong (I bet you didn't plan on reading that sentence today). 

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
6 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Here are a couple shoddy pictures of some acans (I think). The acan echinata is a recent pick up and to my untrained eyes seems to be happy (although this could just be a ploy to lull me into a state of comfort only to quickly die, crash the tank, and dropkick my spirit into the 'Infinite Pit of Despair' (where cable is included, but you only get grainy re-runs of The Real Housewifes & Rock of Love with Brett Michaels... its a grim place).  The second is what I think may/could be an acan lord? I am no expert when it comes to just about anything (apart from maybe my strong personal opinions on futility of the cummerbund in modern society and the general awesomeness of Carhartt overalls and Swims loafers), and acan identification is certainty in my 'not-an-expert' category. Whenever I see acan lords (or what I think are acan lords), however, they don't seem to look like this. When I asked the the lady-friend for her opinion, she shrugged, said it looked like an enflamed b***h**e, and went back to watching the Real Housewifes (valid comment, but no real help). Furthermore, unlike the aforementioned echinata, this coral is out to break hearts; always looking for the first opportunity to shrivel, pout, and get all dramatic. Basically, it's the middle school girl of my tank. 

Either way, feel free to disparage the photographic quality or help confirm the identity of this thing. Just avoid the pit of despair, because unlike fine wine Brett Michael's has not gotten better with age, however, his wig-game is strong (I bet you didn't plan on reading that sentence today). 

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

despair.jpg

:D

I've heard it said that seventh grade girls are the meanest in the world.  I don't disagree. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I've heard it said that seventh grade girls are the meanest in the world.  I don't disagree. :lol:

If only we could somehow discover a way to run the electrical grid off their teenage angst...

• Haha 1