Coral Vue Hydros

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

4 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Yessss !!! Those look super nice !! 

Let's hope so! I lost out on enough on their live sale... but with the help of some liquid courage tonight went... err... more expensively. 

18 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Let's hope so! I lost out on enough on their live sale... but with the help of some liquid courage tonight went... err... more expensively. 

Blenwood has expensive taste in his decor. 

I just can’t get my head around you guys having live coral on eBay!!! 

I also couldn’t think of anything else to say (beyond nice tank / love your narrative) that would get me

notified of updates to this thread :) 

9 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Yessss !!! Those look super nice !! 

Thanks. But don't worry, I am more than qualified to brown out any acro, no matter how good looking or expensive... It's just my gift. 

9 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Blenwood has expensive taste in his decor. 

Damn Blenwood! I knew I shouldn't have given him that subscription to Architectural Digest. Soon he's going to be wanting ikat (which apparently is not an electronic feline... won't make that mistake again) throw pillows and an accent wall. I liked it better when he only read People and Us Weekly, I couldn't care less about which ever Kardashian is having a melt down or getting knocked up, but at least b-list celebrity gossip didn't cost me dollar bills. 

8 hours ago, Droy008 said:

Blennwood's going to be moving into the white collar neighborhood soon enough!

When he is not melting his brain watching The Real Housewives of XXXXXX, he's on Zillow, talking all crazy about desirable addresses, powder rooms, and "adorable" breakfast nooks. Apparently, an above ground pool is now "uncouth" (which is a bad thing), and a sprinkler does not counts as a water feature (even if it rotates). 

The Blen-trification is real. 

5 hours ago, Moorahs said:

I also couldn’t think of anything else to say (beyond nice tank / love your narrative) that would get me

notified of updates to this thread :) 

Next time, just come in hot and say something crazy. Like, "I'm pretty sure a raccoon is eating mamaw's foot. What should I do?" or... "Was cured ham ever sick?" or "Toasters are mean." Dealer's choice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Good or bad, it's been a pretty interesting couple of days for the ole tank-a-roo. For the second time in as many weeks, temptation (and maybe some Belgium beer) got the better of me, and I went on an ill-advised Ebay spending spree. Much like the flutter of a butterfly, this little dalliance set in motion a disastrous chain of events, and now Blenwood won't talk to me.

It all started when I hit the bid button...and proceeded to both win and lose. Having been pretty much maxed out on tank real estate for a while, purchasing three additional acros only made my predicament worse. Furthermore, I have been unhappy with my aquascape for some time, and figured besting my foes on Ebay was definitely a sign from the tank gods that it was time to rescape.

To be clear, by rescape I mean the live rock chuck in the center of my tank was two inches to wide (front-to-back). As a result, the birdsnest was beginning to creep dangerously close to the front glass and due to its extreme growth rate the disco biscuit needed more room on the sand (I'm pretty sure its roiding out). I won the sixth-grade Geography Bee, making me more than qualified to knock-off two inches off the back of the rock; obviously this was going to be easy.

So Tuesday night I grabbed my trusty hammer, ripped a shot of liquid courage, treated the cats to one of those weird Asian Go-Gurt-like cat tubes, told Alexa to drop a sick beat, and got to work. Like so many well thought out plans, the second I started, was the precise moment everything went to shit. Within minutes, I managed to break the birdsnest, Blenwood managed to get trapped in the LR, I chipped the monti-cap, and dislodged nearly every frag that hadn't encrusted (pretty much all of them). To summarize in terms of pop diva's: the tank was basically 2007 shaved-head Brittney (a hot effing mess). Everything was sliming, Blen-Daddy scraped himself dislodging from the LR, and one of the Dendro threatened to call the cops. Let's just say, like Brittney's music after 2007, that hour was pretty awful. I'm still covered in super glue. 

Anyways, besides Blenwood, who is still pissed, everything is back to normal. The frags from the @World Wide Corals Ebay sale arrived yesterday. Sadly, one arrived DOA, but so far their customer service has been great (we will see how it turns out). For those who hate words (or my writing (it's understandable)), below is a post-rescape picture of Randy Clam and the new WWC Hyper Pink Acro. Moral of the story: don't buy cheap peanut butter. 

Clam Jam.jpg

WWC Hyper Pink.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

After last week's utter tank disaster this week is looking up. Saturday was marketed by 1) ruining my shotgun after blowing off the end of the barrel (long story), and 2) a frag rearrangement & sump scrub. Beside the Berretta sized whole in my checkbook things have gone swimmingly (pun intended). The tank bottom is no long a frag orphanage and after pulling a disgusting amount of ditritus out of the sump everyone seems happy (besides Blen-Daddy who is still not talking to me (though he is back to fighting form)). Tomorrow more frags arrive from @World Wide Corals (write up coming), however, in the mean time here is a random photo of the side of the tank which I have never really shown in entirety and a picture of the bizarro cyphestrea encrusting on the back wall. Since the LR is now essentially covered, like the moon and port-a-johns at Mardi Gras, the back wall is the next frontier. 

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

• Like 9
  • Wow 1

i made it a rule a while back:  no serious reefing while drunk!

i've left pumps off, accidentally put in too much food, broken my birdsnest, splashed water on my power strip, gotten super glue on EVERYTHING inside and out of the tank, etc

nano reefing is a delicate hobby, and i'm not exactly delicate when drunk haha

a slight little buzz, now that's ok :D

that said, tank's looking great my friend!

• Haha 4
3 minutes ago, Pinner Reef said:

How did you manage to F**k up a shotgun barrel!?! I need to hear this story

im guessing he got something like mud stuck in the tip of the barrel.  they can explode like in the cartoons if something gets jammed in the front!

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Pinner Reef said:

How did you manage to F**k up a shotgun barrel!?! I need to hear this story

A long long story involving a mottled duck, a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, and three years chasing the white whale. 

6 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

im guessing he got something like mud stuck in the tip of the barrel.  they can explode like in the cartoons if something gets jammed in the front!

With an extended choke its surprising how little it takes. Not to mention the help of thick fog, darkness, and the general Louisiana swamp; oh wading through waist deep mud doesn't help. 

"Blen-trification" :lol:

How did I miss this thread until now? I'm glad you checked in on my tank thread which prompted me to check out yours. Kind of like dogs sniffing each others' butts.

So now you've discovered ASD and WWC. Combined with Ebay, live sales, and alcohol. Nobody warned me about the true dangers of reefing either.

By the way, the tank is great! I love the semi-chaotic approach of just cramming everything in. I've been doing pretty much the same thing in my 40g tank as a result of too many close encounters with ASD, resulting in "where am I going to put all these corals?"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, teenyreef said:

"Blen-trification" :lol:

How did I miss this thread until now? I'm glad you checked in on my tank thread which prompted me to check out yours. Kind of like dogs sniffing each others' butts.

So now you've discovered ASD and WWC. Combined with Ebay, live sales, and alcohol. Nobody warned me about the true dangers of reefing either.

By the way, the tank is great! I love the semi-chaotic approach of just cramming everything in. I've been doing pretty much the same thing in my 40g tank as a result of too many close encounters with ASD, resulting in "where am I going to put all these corals?"

Thank you, and I appreciate the the shout out on your tank thread!

I completely agree, Ebay coral sales are dangerous. At bare minimum, I feel like they should be accompanied by some sort of FDA, DEA, FCC, or some sort of other alphabet-soup-government-agency warning about their inherent dangers. At least when I'm chain smoking unfiltered P-Funks while simultaneously ripping slugs of plastic-bottle-brand tequila there are warning labels suggesting that I may not be making the best decisions (those labels are clearly wrong, but it's the thought that counts). Additionally, I'm pretty sure I've seen a PSA about the possible dangers of smoking meth AND its effect on general dental hygiene (those are not wrong). But when it comes to Ebay and corals... a big nothing burger, and that's the problem.  One minute you're innocently bidding on an acro with a dumb name (like Kountry Andy's Atomic Wedgy or Deputy Randy's Cheeseburger Delight) the next minute you're living under an overpass stealing copper from air conditioners to fuel your addiction. It's no laughing matter; something needs to be done!

But seriously, your tanks are amazing; I would be ecstatic if I manage to get to the point where mine looks half as good either of yours. 

• Haha 5
On 12/9/2017 at 12:43 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

First off, thank you! Any encouragement to continue spewing out bad jokes and crappy prose is always welcome. The resulting material might be awful but the appreciation is genuine. Second, please reframe from inflating B-Money's giant ego. Much like his belly his ego cup is already overfloweth. In his own mind he is basically Tom Cruise at a Scientology convention: a few lines of alien scripture away from a (or the) deity. 

22 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Nice tank, nice pics!! How's the pipefish doing?

Thanks!! I have some good and bad news about the pipefish. Unfortunely, and quite tragically, the Lady of the Manor has named her Pïpë (pronouns pee-pee). The battle over this name was epic: great armies were mustered, cunning tactics deployed, and lives valentely sacrificed, all of which surely will be remembered in infamy through the songs and odes of our talented bards. In the end, however, my army lost and the pipefish is named after the defecation act of a toddler. Tragic. 

Overall, however, she is doing swimmingly (pun fully intended). Over the last week, or so, she has become quite adventurous, and can regularly be seen zooming throughout the tank sucking up pods. Because I'm paranoid that she'll will run out of pods, the tank is going though an Algae Barn pouch of pods a week (complete overkill). But we love Pïpë (stupid name).

And just because here is a picture of the Disco Buscuit. I dare anyone to find me a bounce mushroom that looks more bouncy that this crazy fungia!

IMG_0383.JPG

• Like 8

He she is as of 12/12/17:

FTS 12.12.17

The Busch Light Monthly Tank Change Highlight Reel, ("Where mediocrity is celebrated!"): 1) The live rock (much like my adolescence) went through an initially disastrous but ultimately successful reshaping. Specifically, about two inches were removed from its girth to give the out-of-control birds nest more room; 2) B-Straight-Cash-Money & Co. welcomed home "Pee-Pee" the Blue Striped Pipefish (who everyone agrees, has a dumb name); 3) Someone learned the dangers of online coral shopping; 4) because of the previous bullet point, there is no room on either the live rock or Blenwood's Amex (don't fret, there is still space on the back glass and Blenwood has a Diner Club International Card with a less than ideal APR); 4) due to unforeseen circumstances, some idiot needs a new shotgun; 5) this year's holiday cards turned out... interesting (two words: Maarrrrg-y Christmas).

Disclaimer: as usual I apologize for the shoddy FTS, although unlikely, maybe one day I will figure out how to take a decent tank photograph.

• Like 9
8 hours ago, Kijho said:

Wow such a beautiful looking setup!! 

Thanks, I just now need your kitchen. Damnit French architecture, this explains the Maginot Line! Maginot Line!

• Like 1