inTank Media Baskets

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

ECLS Reefer
4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

So we’re actually posting our photos in this thread now?

No lol I called him out on my thread and wanted a throw down show down picture contest, and he wanted to invite more peeps to the party. But I think in your own thread. We all know you’ve got us beat with your freaking miraculous macro! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

No lol I called him out on my thread and wanted a throw down show down picture contest, and he wanted to invite more peeps to the party. But I think in your own thread. We all know you’ve got us beat with your freaking miraculous macro! 

Oh ok.  I was about to post up like 7 photos up in this thread. 

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

So we’re actually posting our photos in this thread now?

Haha, no. There's no actual photo contest. It’s been kind of dead around here,and I'm just trying to spice things up a bit (Bam!).  Figured no one was going to read it anyway.😂 Or if they did, they’d  be letting me know that last pic was definitely not a torch coral! (They’re right it’s an elegance coral)

• Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
25 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Haha, no. There no actual photo contest. It’s been kind of dead around here, just trying to spice things up a bit (Bam!).  Figured no one was going to read it anyway.😂 Or if they did, they’d  be letting me know that last pic was definitely not a torch coral! (They’re right it’s an elegance coral)

Maybe instead of (BAM!) it could be (Payah!!!!!!). My husband is addicted to a Cajun YouTube cooking show and that’s what he yells 😂

• Haha 3
14 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

I’m so confused. What did I miss? 😂

Haha, nothing... I just included you earlier, because you might be the best active photographer on NR at the moment. 

Anyway, let's keep the zoa train rolling....

Buttkissers... maybe my current most disappointing zoa:

ATR_9090.thumb.jpeg.6a58626c543403570725c4a8ac6e7735.jpeg

Utter Chaos... not a disappointing zoa:

ATR_9003.thumb.jpeg.fd4950891845d374eba201dfb2be56fe.jpeg

Rainbow infusions: 

ATR_9091.thumb.jpeg.89003bd5744966a2f6a1ef5c006f864d.jpeg

Purple Monsters:

ATR_9093.thumb.jpeg.78f2bffcefecb493a6e37c3bc26a5f1f.jpeg

Blondies under blue lights, not the most hyped but definitely glow from across the room, they are hard to beat:

ATR_9115.thumb.jpeg.630128f201569b2b273101b828070288.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
TheKleinReef
2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Haha, nothing... I just included you earlier, because you might be the best active photographer on NR at the moment. 

Damn, when I was active before, I was definitely one of the noobs hahah

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

I was definitely one of the noobs hahah

by default, noob status goes out the window when you get TOTM....so better get the INT 75 in a tiptop shape.  😂

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

by default, noob status goes out the window when you get TOTM....so better get the INT 75 in a tiptop shape.  😂

Good, so I can still claim I'm a noob and fault my ignorance. 

Best news I've heard all day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

It's currently covered in this gross bacterial film. and my CUC showed up 5 days late and very very dead. ugh it's gonna be a whileeeeee

• Wow 1

Today marks the halfway point between the date I've arbitrarily designated to write-up a monthly update. To mark this momentous occasion, I will give the people what they definitely didn't ask for: a mini update! It's like the full update, somehow even worse! With that glorious puffery over, let's get on with it.

So things around the tank have been quiet... too quiet. I'm not competent at anything for things to be going this smoothly. Heck, I'm not even competent at not being competent. But despite a raft of bad life decisions this is where we are. Alk and calcium has been really solid, and the tank is even rejecting water changes. Weird statement, but follow along: I did a 20% WC on last Sunday, and came home to a dusting of dinos on Monday, which ample experience has taught me that this means nutrients are beginning to bottoming out. Thus, I either need to cut back on WC's or feed more. Since I am feeding what the Surgeon General has labeled as a "metric shit ton" of food for a 10 gallon tank, I should probably cut back on WCs. This nutrient theory is furthered by the fact that despite  the ill advised daily feeding amounts, I have had, by at least my tank's standards, incredibly low amounts of film algae on the glass. As pondered by Marvin Gaye, "so what's going on?" I have three main theories: 1) Bacteria. Following reading  @mitten_reef informative All-For-Reefs thread, I was enlightened to the fact that AFR works through the magic of bacteria (crazy right?!). What it boils down to is that AFR is basically voodoo carbon dosing. It's been little over a month since I switched from ESV to AFR and I think my tank has fully made the adjustment, and because I am dosing a relatively large amount of AFR (for the tank size) and supplementing this with additional KZ products (which I think is further carbon dosing), I think my tank's bacteria load has increased exponentially and in turn is burning through nutrients; 2) Skimmer. I recently upgraded my skimmer which has proven to be a huge upgrade. This coupled with the carbon dosing may have had the result of increasing the tank's overall nutrient export efficiency and thus has been keeping nutrients low; 3) Aliens. As expressed by a recent newsworthy and retweeted kook doctor you can never rule out aliens (or dream witch daemons... same thing...). So there that. I have been continuing to struggle with aptasia, but as stated by every millennial girl, "I can't even..." I may pick up a peppermint shrimp and hope for the best. Other than that, I've picked up a few new zoas for the front zoa garden and a secondary frag of WD. I'm still trying to get the hang of the 105mm lens... but that ain't gonna be changin' anytime soon. Le Bon Tanks Rouler!!

For those who hate words and just want to see some bad pics:

10 gallons of chaos in a glass box under blue light presented by Valvoline:

ATR_8890.thumb.jpeg.48bb1d159202377970c59573163a857a.jpeg

Cyphastrea:

824374907_ATR_9198(1).thumb.jpeg.022cd3578ac02792b0e506b74316eb84.jpeg

Beginning of the front garden: 

ATR_9035.thumb.jpeg.165865a81b73b6990fffe67ef61f2232.jpeg

Crab friend: 

ATR_8996.thumb.jpeg.1a81bd4e0d7415cb3a6c0dbec89869ea.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

Today marks the halfway point between the date I've arbitrarily designated to write-up a monthly update. To mark this momentous occasion, I will give the people what they definitely didn't ask for: a mini update! It's like the full update, somehow even worse! With that glorious puffery over, let's get on with it.

So things around the tank have been quiet... too quiet. I'm not competent at anything for things to be going this smoothly. Heck, I'm not even competent at not being competent. But despite a raft of bad life decisions this is where we are. Alk and calcium has been really solid, and the tank is even rejecting water changes. Weird statement, but follow along: I did a 20% WC on last Sunday, and came home to a dusting of dinos on Monday, which ample experience has taught me that this means nutrients are beginning to bottoming out. Thus, I either need to cut back on WC's or feed more. Since I am feeding what the Surgeon General has labeled as a "metric shit ton" of food for a 10 gallon tank, I should probably cut back on WCs. This nutrient theory is furthered by the fact that despite  the ill advised daily feeding amounts, I have had, by at least my tank's standards, incredibly low amounts of film algae on the glass. As pondered by Marvin Gaye, "so what's going on?" I have three main theories: 1) Bacteria. Following reading  @mitten_reef informative All-For-Reefs thread, I was enlightened to the fact that AFR works through the magic of bacteria (crazy right?!). What it boils down to is that AFR is basically voodoo carbon dosing. It's been little over a month since I switched from ESV to AFR and I think my tank has fully made the adjustment, and because I am dosing a relatively large amount of AFR (for the tank size) and supplementing this with additional KZ products (which I think is further carbon dosing), I think my tank's bacteria load has increased exponentially and in turn is burning through nutrients; 2) Skimmer. I recently upgraded my skimmer which has proven to be a huge upgrade. This coupled with the carbon dosing may have had the result of increasing the tank's overall nutrient export efficiency and thus has been keeping nutrients low; 3) Aliens. As expressed by a recent newsworthy and retweeted kook doctor you can never rule out aliens (or dream witch daemons... same thing...). So there that. I have been continuing to struggle with aptasia, but as stated by every millennial girl, "I can't even..." I may pick up a peppermint shrimp and hope for the best. Other than that, I've picked up a few new zoas for the front zoa garden and a secondary frag of WD. I'm still trying to get the hang of the 105mm lens... but that ain't gonna be changin' anytime soon. Le Bon Tanks Rouler!!

For those who hate words and just want to see some bad pics:

10 gallons of chaos in a glass box under blue light presented by Valvoline:

ATR_8890.thumb.jpeg.48bb1d159202377970c59573163a857a.jpeg

Cyphastrea:

824374907_ATR_9198(1).thumb.jpeg.022cd3578ac02792b0e506b74316eb84.jpeg

Beginning of the front garden: 

ATR_9035.thumb.jpeg.165865a81b73b6990fffe67ef61f2232.jpeg

Crab friend: 

ATR_8996.thumb.jpeg.1a81bd4e0d7415cb3a6c0dbec89869ea.jpeg

image.gif.5d6ab0b04e0cb592cf22793e1dadb67c.gif

Im 99.99999999999999999999999999% POSITIVE you’re really sacrificing chickens and Cavaliers to your voodoo altar for that tank. I know what you New Orleanians get up to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 7/30/2020 at 11:09 AM, debbeach13 said:

That full tank shot is crazy colorful.

Thank you!!

17 hours ago, Stoops718 said:

Quick question. Why did you go with the Universal IM Skimmer instead of the one made for the Nuvo 10?

At the time it was largely an impulse online purchase and what sold me was being able to see all the internal parts so I knew exactly what I was working with that and the fact it was significantly cheaper. Honestly, I'm not sure what the advantages/disadvantages between the two are. 

15 hours ago, jcreefer said:

Great (mini) update!!! And please don’t short yourself on the photo quality.  If only I can be 1/10th of your skills 👍🏼

Thanks man! I have a long, long way to go on the photography front. Still learning tips and tricks every time I pick up the camera... i.e. flash. 

• Like 1

Holy fish-scales batman! Rare non-coral pics!! It's true I sometimes...rarely.... attempt to take bad photos of things that are not corals. Judge away!

Star of the show:

E7EFA6BE-3452-4BCC-A703-E3B3A439834B.thumb.jpg.6743bc4f5b862152d10e54f80f303295.jpg

Robin to Blen-daddy's Batman:

ATR_9276.thumb.jpeg.5896615d82b691d0776087d8ed18bffe.jpeg

I love how you can see her holding the anemones: 

ATR_9279.thumb.jpeg.b65445d2d0ac4fc2e393f9ce0acafa1e.jpeg

Captain Crazy-Eyes:

ATR_9348.thumb.jpeg.5fb4f0b7358fce0a6de12856024b60a3.jpeg

Not the best picture.... but, I seeing the stomach iscrazy:

ATR_9350.thumb.jpeg.adba54491e8b3a2ad163416fd036c334.jpeg

Big Dumb Hank:

ATR_9311.thumb.jpeg.674b299df580ef42b85f0e0db39b1f73.jpeg

• Like 10
5 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Smol, handsome, Hank.
The shot of the Pom-Pom holding the nems looks like it should be an old-school Nat-Geo magazine cover.

This may be the best thing said to me since the prison warden said, “you’re free to go.” Side note, old school Nat-Geo’s... hugely underrated. 

1 hour ago, lizzyann said:

Nice pom pom pic! How often do you see her?

Oddly, this Pom Pom... all the time. Firstly, she is not shy at all, and will often start surveying her domain in the late afternoon. Second, she decided her spot is at the base of my rock in direct line of sight, and isn’t frightened at all if you come and ogle her (And doesn’t seem to mind the soft macro flash).  However, this wasn’t the case with some of the other PPC’s (especially murdah PPC who was fueled by the combination of rage and hate). Fun fact: strangely, her two loves are hanging out with Pickles the waspfish, and kicking snails. 

Always plotting...

8F975AB2-3314-4B56-84AF-BC2D09848973.thumb.jpeg.2104c161cabefc52e4cb264a306d093a.jpeg

Gratuitous terrible crab pics:

958A4AFD-F09D-458A-AA17-CCB8064D839C.thumb.jpeg.beea7056d1b7b8d50466313ccb290811.jpeg

• Like 2

Before having to condense things down during health-related moves I had a stack of a hundred or so old Nat-Geo's, brilliant photographers and a clever marketing strategy.
Attract kids and those who may be interested with imagery, keep it going throughout with smaller bits of text, information, etc. strewn-in.
Quite... hesitant about the change in ownership a few years back...

Thanks for the picture, my wife loves it, says the spots on the legs are amazing.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Hey bud,what light schedule do you run ?! I got a 16hd yesterday and finding the schedule to be a bit wonky. 

I'm running a custom hybrid between the AB+ from BRS and David Saxby. Below is the light diagram, if you want DM me your email address and I'll send you over the file. 

IMG_1730.thumb.jpeg.c28d187daff62e6540b7e548fe095bdf.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I'm running a custom hybrid between the AB+ from BRS and David Saxby. Below is the light diagram, if you want DM me your email address and I'll send you over the file. 

IMG_1730.thumb.jpeg.c28d187daff62e6540b7e548fe095bdf.jpeg

10-4. I had selected the David Saxby profile but I didn't care too much for the color but I will try it.