Top Shelf Aquatics

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Thanks man 👍. I'm leaning towards a milli or something like that. Or basically anything in my lfs 10-30 dollar tank 🤣.. no name is probably better

You’re asking the guy who managed to cram 217.5 acros in his 10 gallon tank. Of course, he’s gonna say go for it. 🤣

but for real, they’re not all that hard as long as you keep up a good routine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

You’re asking the guy who managed to cram 217.5 acros in his 10 gallon tank. Of course, he’s gonna say go for it. 🤣

Allegedly... 

I admit to nothing! 

• Haha 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
22 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Well shit he made it look so easy 🙂

17 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Allegedly... 

I admit to nothing! 

It was 213 wasn't it? 🤗

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Gorgeous! Did you get your wife beater — I mean — NR t shirt?

I don’t want to talk about it... I tried to ordering one from Alibaba, but when it arrived it said “Namo-Reef.biz” and that doesn’t make sense. So much for buying counterfeit merchandise on sketchy foreign websites... 

Here are some slightly better photos of the purchases yesterday...

Vivid Confetti looking happy. 

F73C25F4-693A-464E-AA05-8AAEB1FBD658.jpeg

TBD Favia I’m honestly kinda getting paranoid about the potential of sweepers...

BA1D16EF-FA88-412B-B8F8-733C91221B8A.jpeg

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, SliceGolfer said:

The Favia looks like Ultron or Megatron, very similar to what I have in my tank. Mine has tiny sweepers, like 1/4" long.

Actually, it definitely looks like those! You might be right!

It hasn’t sent out any long boy sweepers at all? I’ve seen the little tentacles , but am afraid of the long ones, it’s surrounded by a lot of stuff I would rather it not kill. 

Some mediocre photos for your Quarantine Monday. Stay safe out there... don’t drink and online shop.

Pectinia Poop

144A8C66-5CD0-4EE7-A58A-E2035DAB5C1C.jpeg

Zoas of some sort

01C36DB6-9EC1-45CB-AFD3-6C4B7798D3EA.jpeg

Worm-powered duncan

96A8438B-5929-4223-8E96-80DCB1238E24.jpeg

• Like 7

Recently two things happened, 1) I was chatting with @mitten_reef, and 2) I ordered (and through the magic of what some people call the postal system) received an 85b filter for the DSLR. What do these things have in common... turns out not a lot... (plot twist)... save for one thing... IG photography... okay, two things...and an ugly pectinia. Specifically, we were talking about the overly blown out reef shots that IG loves, and which has made some accounts, minor stars in the hobby. Furthermore, hobby some coral sellers disingenuously post overly filter sales pictures. While this is probably a great discussion for another day, especially if everyone has a few drinks first, I’ll leave you with two DSLR pictures of the same ugly pectinia. One under 10k lighting, with little post processing and just a standard UV filter... getting creative let’s call it the... “what it looks like to the naked eye under daylights without filters” or for short, the “WILLTTNRUDWF” picture. The other one we will call the “IG THOT” picture. Spoiler: I was a Florida resident for college purposes for a hot minute, thus have a soft spot for gold chains, jorts, and Tim a Tebow, and as a result, gravitate to the “IG THOT” picture... but something rubs me the wrong way. IDK maybe someone feels brave enough to start a thread about this... Also that pectinia is for sale for like a $1,000, payment will only be accepted in two dollar bills. 

“WILLTTNRUDWF”

1C461E01-888F-4F1A-B09E-329B9017184C.jpeg

"IG THOT"

2BD17D01-7F68-4292-87AF-01E69D8664F9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
3 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Recently two things happened, 1) I was chatting with @mitten_reef, and 2) I ordered (and through the magic of what some people call the postal system) received an 85b filter for the DSLR. What do these things have in common... turns out not a lot... (plot twist)... save for one thing... IG photography... okay, two things...and an ugly pectinia. Specifically, we were talking about the overly blown out reef shots that IG loves, and which has made some accounts, minor stars in the hobby. Furthermore, hobby some coral sellers disingenuously post overly filter sales pictures. While this is probably a great discussion for another day, especially if everyone has a few drinks first, I’ll leave you with two DSLR pictures of the same ugly pectinia. One under 10k lighting, with little post processing and just a standard UV filter... getting creative let’s call it the... “what it looks like to the naked eye under daylights without filters” or for short, the “WILLTTNRUDWF” picture. The other one we will call the “IG THOT” picture. Spoiler: I was a Florida resident for college purposes for a hot minute, thus have a soft spot for gold chains, jorts, and Tim a Tebow, and as a result, gravitate to the “IG THOT” picture... but something rubs me the wrong way. IDK maybe someone feels brave enough to start a thread about this... Also that pectinia is for sale for like a $1,000, payment will only be accepted in two dollar bills. 

“WILLTTNRUDWF”

1C461E01-888F-4F1A-B09E-329B9017184C.jpeg

"IG THOT"

2BD17D01-7F68-4292-87AF-01E69D8664F9.jpeg

I have wrote about this a lot.  Heavily adjusted/photoshopped pics convince people they are failing....... just like face tuning filters convince people they are ugly. I mean, some of them are ugly as shit but you know what I mean. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
16 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I have wrote about this a lot.  Heavily adjusted/photoshopped pics convince people they are failing....... just like face tuning filters convince people they are ugly. I mean, some of them are ugly as shit but you know what I mean. 🤷🏻‍♀️

As someone who relies heavily on face filters... I know exactly what you mean...

But seriously ladies, I definitely look like my Tinder profile... that most certainly isn't Jeff Goldblum's face photoshopped on mine. 

780B6F6D-1944-4B13-94BE-1F5EC8754C7A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Exactly It took a few purchases before I realized that I and my tank or it’s lighting were not why my new coral just never adjusted and looked like it did when I decided to buy it. It wasn’t until someone here pointed it out that it finally made sense. 

• Like 4
ECLS Reefer
On 4/22/2020 at 1:22 PM, WV Reefer said:

At least I have the self respect to admit I’m ugly without the need of photoshopping. Too much effort to try and pretty it up. 

And as for my ability to take coral pictures- yeah I suck at that.

• Haha 1

Happy Friday all you Cats and Kittens!

Things have somewhat stabilized in Blenwood II’s House of Horrors. The Dino’s are absent. The hair algae is gone. The peppermint is putting a dent in the aptasia. And Lorp has regained his appetite, after mysteriously getting scabby (he sleeps in a gutter... so it’s not unexpected). Also, I’m feeding an insane (roids and frozen) amount dailynwithout much noticeable film on the glass; so it appears the rock (after getting out it’s hospital bed and dramatically announcing that “Daddy’s gotta go to work”) is back to its super hero nutrient processing (and sweaty car chase scene) ways. Unfortunately, the alk appears to be  creeping up about 0.1 dkh a day, but until the acros get on their pony and start to really ride, I’ll have to control this through water changes (note: currently, dosing 2mls of each part per day spread out every 6 hours). I could correct this creep by diluting the 2-part even more and distributing the doses accordingly, but that would  involve math, and any math is too much math (same thing goes for celery and most traditional Icelandic foods... oh and exercise). 

Anyway, here are some less than mediocre pictures to ease you into then weekend! Happy Quarantine!

Birdsnest entering the exponential growth phase 

57265E4F-40D3-4DDC-B7E3-5322B4C1A2BF.jpeg

Look at that growth ring!

9EA4EA9A-6A13-45E5-8715-5C77F61395C5.jpeg

Creepy tentacle thingys:

FB8918E6-10E0-46EE-93AB-91F31E1A6FC6.jpeg

Still can tell if this thing is growing or shrinking or remaining the same size... peculiar.

0326EBE1-CB84-4697-8941-38406561AC8D.jpeg

One of these things is not like the others....

219B8C72-19DD-4663-8A93-BA63645AEF67.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1

Glad to see the comeback is coming along!

"All rainbow acans are just red acans..." This could easily sum up my entire reefing career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 4/25/2020 at 10:29 PM, teenyreef said:

Glad to see the comeback is coming along!

"All rainbow acans are just red acans..." This could easily sum up my entire reefing career.

Teeny, as I have been gone, I didn't realize you were gone! But it's great to have you back, it just isn't the same without you. BTW congrats on the TOTM! At this point I feel @Christopher Marks should just recognize your tank as the GOAT and give you the January award every year, or at very least rename the January TOTM the "TeenyReef Memorial Award." I know neither you nor the tank are dead, so Memorial isn't the right word, but I feel like it would get people talking and it sounds better. Funny story: my significant's mother donated a bunch of money to her high school and had a math classroom named in her honor (XXX XXXXX Memorial Classroom), because she thought having it say "Memorial" would stir the pot and be funny and because my significant was really bad at math. I had to tip my cap at that... real firecracker that one. 

Update: as some of you may have heard, I lost my "R. Rampage" coral. Despite suggestions otherwise, I doubt it was because of either my superior water quality or because I have too much light (Fun fact: there is no such thing... moar light!!!!). I'm pretty sure, the really handsome and funny guy that suggested that my peppermint shrimp hired a hit on the chalice was probably correct. Anyways, I think I'm going to stay out of the LPS game for awhile, much like girls in middle school and how to be a functioning adult, I really just don't understand LPS. Therefore, like my my view of math and choice in alcohol I'm going to stick to the hard stuff. That's right, I'm probably going to get my first go H.A.M. on acros. Rumor has it, @mitten_reef may have some bread baking in the oven, and I may have some bourbon itching to get out of the boot state. Also I really need some black suns. 

Anyways! Crappy pic time! 

Rainbow Acans!

DF1F3051-E461-40FC-B752-501833256360.jpeg

I have a confession: I have a blasto problem.

36D7A6B0-94D6-4999-81A6-0E98AD99D9B4.jpeg

Sooo much space to fill:

3E4E333A-3D98-4A0B-B4B3-33CEB4997382.jpeg

UC Peep Show

274F8572-F753-4128-A993-856EA2521F37.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 3
28 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Update: as some of you may have heard, I lost my "R. Rampage" coral. Despite suggestions otherwise, I doubt it was because of either my superior water quality or because I have too much light (Fun fact: there is no such thing... moar light!!!!). I'm pretty sure, the really handsome and funny guy that suggested that my peppermint shrimp hired a hit on the chalice was probably correct. Anyways, I think I'm going to stay out of the LPS game for awhile, much like girls in middle school and how to be a functioning adult, I really just don't understand LPS. Therefore, like my my view of math and choice in alcohol I'm going to stick to the hard stuff. That's right, I'm probably going to get my first go H.A.M. on acros. Rumor has it, @mitten_reef may have some bread baking in the oven, and I may have some bourbon itching to get out of the boot state. Also I really need some black suns. 

Just here to say that this is one of the few threads that I value the narration just has much as I do the photos. 

Being a functioning adult, middle schoolers in general, and math are all things that make up the axis of evil. I'm going exclusively to the hard stuff next go around, but that's only bc of the fish. Stick to what you're good at, I always say. 

Anyways, for some reason reading this update made me thirsty, I'm off to pour myself a drink! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

You have quite the goth theme going! The LiveAquaria diver's den has had a lot of black sun corals lately if you are willing to support such conglomerates/monopolies/satanic entities (i do, often 😬).

• Haha 3