inTank Media Baskets

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

Welp it's Friday in NOLA, which in 2020 means the weekend will be ruined by the outer rain bands of a hurricane or very least the remnants of a tropical storm. At this point mother nature isn't even running away after lighting a giant bag of dog #$%@ on the doorstep, but rather just standing there laughing and pointing. What a time to be alive!

Tank-wise things are going, as always, "meh." Everything has seemed to have adjusted well to the significant increase in light (zero bleaching etc.). Everything except for old Blenwood who, against his doctor's orders, went ahead and fully leaned into the light increase. You're probably asking yourself, "Blenwood is two inch aqua hot-dog masquerading as a comical fish, what does that even mean?" Well, since the tank began being blasted with light, not only has he been sporting a "Florida Panhandle Beach Creature" tan, but he has decided to compliment his new leathery skin by growing a pencil thin mustache, and picking up a smoking habit (obviously he only smokes Marlboro Red 100's soft pack). The tank also has a slight cyano and dino problem, but the monthly update happens in four days, so I will talk about this then. 

Anyways, on to the unexceptional pictures no asked or wanted!

Blenwood's house of horror!
ATR_0580.thumb.jpeg.542a9b865e584c1d5e6f878d763e7eab.jpeg

Mitten's Super Fantastic Ultra Dayglo Boom Boom Pink Floyd Partay Time Acro: 

ATR_0560.thumb.jpeg.a355c63a646485729318b79d1d9934dc.jpeg

Good Cyphastrea:

ATR_0559.thumb.jpeg.ed74a0e7def855aea9dc00cca8dce7b5.jpeg

The world's most disappointing blasto:

ATR_0556.thumb.jpeg.1c0ba6d8af7c5e66f1b2ee83a64540f5.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 2
24 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Florida Panhandle Beach Creature" tan, but he has decided to compliment his new leathery skin by growing a pencil thin mustache, and picking up a smoking habit

I wanna see a picture of this!

• Haha 1

Welp, it’s that time of the month again. That’s right, the monthly update time: MORE LIGHT EDITION! Let’s get into it!

LIVESTOCK: The big news this month can best be described as a failure in my epic personal saga to become the internet’s foremost celebrity fish matchmaker. Essentially, in a fit of lax judgement, whilst simultaneously smelling the intoxicating scent of fish love, I gave into my temptations and ordered a second red rooster pygmy waspfish. Having completed the order, I was confident that my little female waspfish would be elated by the strapping male I had chosen for their arranged marriage. Opening the LA box and seeing him for the first time, I could almost taste the “amore!” After temperature acclimating and releasing him into the tank…. nothing. The lady wasp basically pretends he doesn’t exist, and he’s basically a weeny that hides in the back. #fail. 

Sprinkles in the Bag... About to not make magic happen:

IMG_0625.thumb.jpeg.03fe7608ea05c7855dd4e604e8931d31.jpeg

Potato phone pic... probably the only photo you will see of the jerk...

IMG_0628.thumb.jpeg.aea672762cf861e50786c05fc3adc615.jpeg

The next livestock addition was related to my eternal battle with aiptasia. To recap: I have added a baker’s dozen of berghia nudis (aka Wrasse Snacks), a peppermint shrimp (on three different occasions), as well as, frequently injected lemon juice into the larger nems. The past weekend while at the LFS, I noticed they had a few Lysmata Kuekenthali shrimp had come in, which I had never heard of, but they look cool and are supposed to be better than peppermint’s at eating aiptasia. Having nothing to left lose, I decided to pick one up (see bottom right corner of this month’s FTS). My hopes are about as lofty as my vertical, but we’ll see.  

UNADULTERATED TANK AWESOMENESS: In addition to the scourge of aiptaisa. I am also battling some cyano and a light dusting of dinos, in addition to the usual GHA and bubble algae. It’s not unmanageable at this point, although, it is very much on brand. 

LIGHT: Lastly, having refrained from doing anything that seriously threatened to nuke my tank for several months, I was getting to feel a bit… itchy. Therefore, last Saturday morning I said screw-it and told Blenwood to “hold my beer.” A few hours and several tense moments with some power tools later, I had a revised light mount that the British would probably praise as “rubbish” or some other silly word that I’m pretty sure means “awesome” (IDK, I don’t speak British). Nevertheless, it does its job and holds a total of four AI Primes HDs. Now, to be fair, before turning them all on I did attempt to rent a PAR meter, however, the PAR meter had already been rented so I did what any irresponsible megalomaniac would do and just flipped the switch. Don’t worry, don’t worry, I turned the lights down…. to 85%. After a week with them above the tank, everything is doing great! There has been zero bleaching or negative responses thus far by any coral or fish. The only drawback I have seen so far has been an increase in the amount and speed in which film algae grows on the glass. Overall, I am pleasantly surprised by 1) the lack of light spillage, 2) the sheer amount of light coverage. Who would have thought that I would have hardly any shadowing after essentially jerry-rigging what amounts to stage lighting above the tank! 

Anyways, onward to the progress pics!!

Monthly Progression Photo: October 2020 (I spy 2 fish; 2 shrimp)
ATR_0638.thumb.jpeg.3907757c2d00a885f91f56f506795b01.jpeg

September 2020:

1448893444_ATR_0216(1).thumb.jpeg.62c2f65d1ed7840be8f9ebc8637e3f3d.jpeg

August 2020:

137335840_ATR_9655(2).thumb.jpeg.c529a15e7bc1b7688c07a14928ef37b3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 6

The voodoo magic strikes again!

image.gif.10c11ed30e7f30dfd06b69eb88153839.gif

I swear your “hold my beer”isms are really “hold my freshly wrung chicken so I can sacrifice it to the nano reef gods” 

• Like 3

Fish are stupid lol.

I would certainly hope that with 4 primes,coverage wouldn't be an issue lol. So its safe to say you didn't get ant par readings ? 

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Fish are stupid lol.

I would certainly hope that with 4 primes,coverage wouldn't be an issue lol. So its safe to say you didn't get ant par readings ? 

Aww man! Don’t spoil my next post... in two weeks... where Blenwood triumphantly pulls the PAR meter from the block of frozen Rod’s and subsequently takes a seat at the round table as it is decreed by the ancients! 

But yes I did manage to eventually rent out the PAR meter and took readings! So everyone take your bets (unless you are the two reef nerds that already know) for the PAR at the bottom, middle, and 1” below the surface! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Aww man! Don’t spoil my next post... in two weeks... where Blenwood triumphantly pulls the PAR meter from the block of frozen Rod’s and subsequently takes a seat at the round table as it is decreed by the ancients! 

But yes I did manage to eventually rent out the PAR meter and took readings! So everyone take your bets (unless you are the two reef nerds that already know) for the PAR at the bottom, middle, and 1” below the surface! 

6" depth with two overlapping AI HD @ 85% I'd expect around 180-200, with four I'd probably expect around 250-275 just about everywhere, but really it would wholly depend on how much they overlap and what schedule you're running (BRS AB+ actually isn't super par-heavy since it has so little white)...

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
21 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Classic 🧐

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
5 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

I was confident that my little female waspfish would be elated by the strapping male I had chosen for their arranged marriage. Opening the LA box and seeing him for the first time, I could almost taste the “amore!” After temperature acclimating and releasing him into the tank…. nothing. The lady wasp basically pretends he doesn’t exist, and he’s basically a weeny that hides in the back. #fail. 

Sounds a lot like my dating life as a youngin’... I mean, who can forget being terrified of the girls from across the junior high gym dance floor? Thoughts of asking one to dance was scarier than being alone in the backwoods of Louisiana Alabama and hearing a banjo in the distance. No, I think I’ll stay over on this safer, smellier side of the gym. 

Maybe one day he’ll decide to stop being such a Beefish, and realize he’s a Waspfish. Just you wait... It’ll be glorious, when he asks her for a swim around the cyphastrea, before cuddles on the trachy. (Blenwood, close your eyes!) Just you wait... Just you wait, indeed. 

• Haha 6
1 minute ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Sounds a lot like my dating life as a youngin’... I mean, who can forget being terrified of the girls from across the junior high gym dance floor? Thoughts of asking one to dance was scarier than being alone in the backwoods of Louisiana Alabama and hearing a banjo in the distance. No, I think I’ll stay over on this safer, smellier side of the gym. 

Maybe one day he’ll decide to stop being such a Beefish, and realize he’s a Waspfish. Just you wait... It’ll be glorious, when he asks her for a swim around the cyphastrea, before cuddles on the trachy. (Blenwood, close your eyes!) Just you wait... Just you wait, indeed. 

Hey.. hey.. hey...

image.gif.1e34746b40d97eb0a8c0f91e7255060d.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 10/13/2020 at 8:02 PM, Amphrites said:

6" depth with two overlapping AI HD @ 85% I'd expect around 180-200, with four I'd probably expect around 250-275 just about everywhere, but really it would wholly depend on how much they overlap and what schedule you're running (BRS AB+ actually isn't super par-heavy since it has so little white)...

I’ll post a diagram this week... but as a sneak peek... the PAR @ a 6” Depth was at about 450... (This was running the BRS AB+)

On 10/13/2020 at 9:30 PM, debbeach13 said:

Your so full of crap. Algae where? Tank looks great.

Much like the effects of nine Miller High Life's and a shot of Pepe Lopez on the general attractiveness of bar patrons after 3:30am, that’s what macro photography and photoshop do for my tank on a daily basis. Basically it’s covering up the cyano bloom, stretch marks, dino bubbles, and yellow teeth from 38 years of smoking Lucky Strikes unfiltered. But hey at least Blenwood looks good in his Tinder/Grindr profile pic....

On 10/13/2020 at 10:12 PM, TheBig053 said:

@Cannedfish Tank is looking bon mon homme! Hope you are doing well. Keel it us boss!

Thanks man!

On 10/13/2020 at 10:24 PM, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Much like my views regarding useless house plants, this response deserves more attention than I’m willing to provide at the moment... I’m enacting some sort of Robert’s rules of order and tabling this biatch. 

On 10/13/2020 at 10:28 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

Hey.. hey.. hey...

image.gif.1e34746b40d97eb0a8c0f91e7255060d.gif

After certain developments, I’m now bound to lose the photo contest!!

Photos best described as “okay!”

Plain Jane Digi...

1FAEB859-68DA-4FE6-A296-D5190D674134.thumb.jpeg.a5eea4336d4b8e0761be4ef638d41235.jpeg

Favia... live acans but better (& meaner)...

E2FE0555-14F0-4D1A-B0E3-60396620CB00.thumb.jpeg.1abf26c1e46f90756dd6a6a33911f505.jpeg

Southern Decadence Camo!

085F5584-0F65-4282-9DDD-20C14A2F5228.thumb.jpeg.aadbee163b59c5ac1f3ca4f43651eb5c.jpeg 

Where the monti meets the zoas...

5E4FAEC6-6BD6-40EF-A413-41B03DAD1BC9.thumb.jpeg.64b7b1dc898bfd6497c84ab6077ed68e.jpeg

Acans... like favia but worse...

EEAF435E-FADD-4EF4-BA4F-99793B6A17F6.thumb.jpeg.d54e3e52618ace78e10a65a7faf7c95b.jpeg

Mitten Suns..

455D409E-C16D-4533-BAB5-5239F892AAD2.thumb.jpeg.e59f35c8b47b1b025c79e608d389e2b1.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 4
23 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I’ll post a diagram this week... but as a sneak peek... the PAR @ a 6” Depth was at about 450... (This was running the BRS AB+)

085F5584-0F65-4282-9DDD-20C14A2F5228.thumb.jpeg.aadbee163b59c5ac1f3ca4f43651eb5c.jpeg

I'm guessing that's center lol, I seem to have wildly overestimated the space between them and may have forgotten to think about mounting height haha.

That shot there is really just an incredible piece of art, looks unreal.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

Much like the effects of nine Miller High Life's and a shot of Pepe Lopez on the general attractiveness of bar patrons after 3:30am, that’s what macro photography and photoshop do for my tank on a daily basis. Basically it’s covering up the cyano bloom, stretch marks, dino bubbles, and yellow teeth from 38 years of smoking Lucky Strikes unfiltered. But hey at least Blenwood looks good in his Tinder/Grindr profile pic....

Thanks man!

Much like my views regarding useless house plants, this response deserves more attention than I’m willing to provide at the moment... I’m enacting some sort of Robert’s rules of order and tabling this biatch. 

After certain developments, I’m now bound to lose the photo contest!!

Photos best described as “okay!”

Plain Jane Digi...

1FAEB859-68DA-4FE6-A296-D5190D674134.thumb.jpeg.a5eea4336d4b8e0761be4ef638d41235.jpeg

Favia... live acans but better (& meaner)...

E2FE0555-14F0-4D1A-B0E3-60396620CB00.thumb.jpeg.1abf26c1e46f90756dd6a6a33911f505.jpeg

Southern Decadence Camo!

Where the monti meets the zoas...

5E4FAEC6-6BD6-40EF-A413-41B03DAD1BC9.thumb.jpeg.64b7b1dc898bfd6497c84ab6077ed68e.jpeg

Acans... like favia but worse...

EEAF435E-FADD-4EF4-BA4F-99793B6A17F6.thumb.jpeg.d54e3e52618ace78e10a65a7faf7c95b.jpeg

Mitten Suns..

455D409E-C16D-4533-BAB5-5239F892AAD2.thumb.jpeg.e59f35c8b47b1b025c79e608d389e2b1.jpeg

Tomorrow!! 😱😱

• Like 2

Wow, I just read through all 48 pages. Amazing, what you have done with a 10 gallon tank! Probably the best I've seen actually. Also, makes me realize I really need to learn some photography skills and my cell phone camera is not going to cut it. Your photos are top notch. I know you joke a lot about them before you post, but they really are sensational. I've said before, in this hobby reefing and photography go hand in hand and you've nailed both. So jealous! Anyway, keep up the good work and I'll be following along. Great stuff! This photo is unreal, the amount of color this one picture captures is dizzying.

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, Thetravelguy said:

I should just get out of the hobby now because I’ll never get to hour level 😱

Lol. Look at it another way, you got a lot of upside and room to grow - sky is the limit (wallet might be another).  

I’m thinking @Cannedfish is gonna have a hard time trying to beat the waspfish-trachy ridiculous rainbow picture. 

• Like 3
On 10/19/2020 at 7:42 PM, Amphrites said:

I'm guessing that's center lol, I seem to have wildly overestimated the space between them and may have forgotten to think about mounting height haha.

That shot there is really just an incredible piece of art, looks unreal.

Thanks man! Yeah, basically with four pucks, there a 2” puck for every 6 square inches, which is... much like me after a few “cold ones” at 3am, admittedly a bit excessive. Unsurprisingly, I’ve been super lazy about 1) creating a diagram, 2) posting said diagram, 3) moving enough during Covid where even my sweaties don’t feel “snug.” But as a further teaser, the top of the LR (dead center 4” below the surface) clocked in at 570 PAR, we ain’t cookin’ with @pokerdobe gas, but we cookin’. Soif I can’t bring out the pinks and yellows in my WD at that PAR, you’ll be seeing an “Office Space-style equipment execution” with this tank (don’t worry I’ll take Blenwood out...  he’ll live in the bathtub).

On 10/19/2020 at 7:46 PM, ReefGoat said:

This tank is absolutely insane! The reef gods aren't smiling on this tank. Canned is the damn reef God. 

I wouldn’t say the gods are so much as smiling on the tank, but rather accepting the weekly live voodoo sacrifices it takes to keep this black magic hell hole of a tank running. If you knew what my monthly livestock bill was you would honestly think the tank was under performing.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:27 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

Tomorrow!! 😱😱

I’ve seen it, and it looks like it’s gonna be awhile till I win another photo contest...

10 hours ago, tmc1313 said:

Wow, I just read through all 48 pages. Amazing, what you have done with a 10 gallon tank! Probably the best I've seen actually. Also, makes me realize I really need to learn some photography skills and my cell phone camera is not going to cut it. Your photos are top notch. I know you joke a lot about them before you post, but they really are sensational. I've said before, in this hobby reefing and photography go hand in hand and you've nailed both. So jealous! Anyway, keep up the good work and I'll be following along. Great stuff!

I immediately apologize for all of the terrible jokes, bad puns, banal pop culture references, inconsistent use of the Oxford comma and complete lack of proofreading you had to endure while trudging through all those pages.  I wish I could say it was going to get better, but I would honestly be lying. I do, however, appreciate both the compliments and a stiff drink. Furthermore, when I started reefing I had never picked up a DSLR camera before, and now because of reefing I only shoot manual. So I guess you’re right, photography is like the accessory to murder which is reefkeeping.

7 hours ago, Thetravelguy said:

I should just get out of the hobby now because I’ll never get to hour level 😱

Haha, like 2012 Lindsay Lohan or any 15 year old YouTube star today, just wait a few months... this whole situation will have a complete TMZ meltdown.

3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Lol. Look at it another way, you got a lot of upside and room to grow - sky is the limit (wallet might be another).  

I’m thinking @Cannedfish is gonna have a hard time trying to beat the waspfish-trachy ridiculous rainbow picture. 

Honestly, you may right... unless I photoshop the acro nerds riding the trachy like it’s splash mountain... or make RCD do it. 

54 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

It's amazing what one can do with photoshop these days!! (just kidding, @Cannedfish you're my hero :wub:)

Right!? Weirdly the picture of the “waspfish sitting on a rainbow trachy” is actually, in reality a deep fake photoshop of a goldfish at a carnival. It’s truly amazing w we can do with technology....

As always some “Dayton, Ohio” of photographs...

Old Rainbow boi. 
78F8A38A-45A2-403B-8BC8-EE25ACD069D7.thumb.jpeg.614a7816512e4eece544a013137f590d.jpeg

Fuzzy highlighter tenius...

24C6E9C8-E56A-4F76-A5C9-1A0A6910B0AF.thumb.jpeg.f6ef3616faa02f038f0911d84f8a8897.jpeg

ASD grafted cap...

1DBA456C-A7D7-42F1-95E2-AD3E8CA04F27.thumb.jpeg.3f33cc28884274d5247ae9c1b189f6b1.jpeg

Bargain Bin Blastos..l

52660FE2-0B72-40F4-AD37-7B638B31F48C.thumb.jpeg.f99ec54859988da899a5034d554ba94f.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
35 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Thanks man! Yeah, basically with four pucks, there a 2” puck for every 6 square inches, which is... much like me after a few “cold ones” at 3am, admittedly a bit excessive. Unsurprisingly, I’ve been super lazy about 1) creating a diagram, 2) posting said diagram, 3) moving enough during Covid where even my sweaties don’t feel “snug.” But as a further teaser, the top of the LR (dead center 4” below the surface) clocked in at 570 PAR, we ain’t cookin’ with @pokerdobe gas, but we cookin’. Soif I can’t bring out the pinks and yellows in my WD at that PAR, you’ll be seeing an “Office Space-style equipment execution” with this tank (don’t worry I’ll take Blenwood out...  he’ll live in the bathtub).

I wouldn’t say the gods are so much as smiling on the tank, but rather accepting the weekly live voodoo sacrifices it takes to keep this black magic hell hole of a tank running. If you knew what my monthly livestock bill was you would honestly think the tank was under performing.

I’ve seen it, and it looks like it’s gonna be awhile till I win another photo contest...

I immediately apologize for all of the terrible jokes, bad puns, banal pop culture references, inconsistent use of the Oxford comma and complete lack of proofreading you had to endure while trudging through all those pages.  I wish I could say it was going to get better, but I would honestly be lying. I do, however, appreciate both the compliments and a stiff drink. Furthermore, when I started reefing I had never picked up a DSLR camera before, and now because of reefing I only shoot manual. So I guess you’re right, photography is like the accessory to murder which is reefkeeping.

Haha, like 2012 Lindsay Lohan or any 15 year old YouTube star today, just wait a few months... this whole situation will have a complete TMZ meltdown.

Honestly, you may right... unless I photoshop the acro nerds riding the trachy like it’s splash mountain... or make RCD do it. 

Right!? Weirdly the picture of the “waspfish sitting on a rainbow trachy” is actually, in reality a deep fake photoshop of a goldfish at a carnival. It’s truly amazing w we can do with technology....

As always some “Dayton, Ohio” of photographs...

Old Rainbow boi. 
78F8A38A-45A2-403B-8BC8-EE25ACD069D7.thumb.jpeg.614a7816512e4eece544a013137f590d.jpeg

Fuzzy highlighter tenius...

24C6E9C8-E56A-4F76-A5C9-1A0A6910B0AF.thumb.jpeg.f6ef3616faa02f038f0911d84f8a8897.jpeg

ASD grafted cap...

1DBA456C-A7D7-42F1-95E2-AD3E8CA04F27.thumb.jpeg.3f33cc28884274d5247ae9c1b189f6b1.jpeg

Bargain Bin Blastos..l

52660FE2-0B72-40F4-AD37-7B638B31F48C.thumb.jpeg.f99ec54859988da899a5034d554ba94f.jpeg

That ain’t no goldfish on a trayky (gettin my West Monroe accent on)

• Haha 1

Wahaha deceased 

Thanks man! Yeah, basically with four pucks, there a 2” puck for every 6 square inches, which is... much like me after a few “cold ones” at 3am, admittedly a bit excessive. Unsurprisingly, I’ve been super lazy about 1) creating a diagram, 2) posting said diagram, 3) moving enough during Covid where even my sweaties don’t feel “snug.” But as a further teaser, the top of the LR (dead center 4” below the surface) clocked in at 570 PAR, we ain’t cookin’ with @pokerdobe gas, but we cookin’. 

This just clearly means you need more lights. 

• Haha 4