SaltCritters.com

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 7:42 PM, pokerdobe said:

Last zoa shot is money. 

These lowly blondies... the real money shot is a hot pic to the face of your SBB Hephs... I feel like that came out wrong, too late, next!

On 9/20/2020 at 8:45 PM, Christopher Marks said:

This thread delivers!

Questionable advice, lackluster prose, banal humor! This thread has a little of

of something for everyone! It’s like roadside Florida panhandle flea market... but sadly, without shoddy airbrushed tee-shirts and unpasteurized milk. 

On 9/20/2020 at 9:01 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

Dammit @Cannedfish you and your mediocre clickbait pictures 

Upgraded photo skillz, two new jawfish, a fresh off the lot Waspfish, if you get a new camera I’m be old news around here. Basically I am going to become present day Lindsay Lohan but with student loans... and like seven less DWI charges. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 9/20/2020 at 9:22 PM, Pjanssen said:

If those are "mediocre", what would you consider "good"?

So real talk, it’s crazy how talented some of the reef tank photographers are! People like MVargas, etc. I feel like I’ve only scratched the surface, things like focus stacking and competent photo editing are still beyond me. 

Real real talk, photos where it doesn’t look like a drunk monkey was behind the old pepper shaker are the goal... that’s a term right?

On 9/20/2020 at 10:02 PM, Tired said:

Probably ones that literally manifest in front of your computer screen as a perfect 3D model.

I wish! However, the fact that coral polyp’s opening functions both as a mouth and... errm... stink hole...  might make the aforementioned scenario... uncomfortable, especially if your parents walk in.  

18 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I’ll just leave this here.  

CB8A961F-80F2-4D64-A023-826F57702836.jpeg

Oh no did the light die? 

And what IS that it’s sitting on? You going for the southern Louisiana faux Versailles look?

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Oh no did the light die? 

And what IS that it’s sitting on? You going for the southern Louisiana faux Versailles look?

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

🤪

31 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Are you kidding! with all your posts now you got nothing to say. Is it dead?

No no! Everything is going great, or as well it possibly could be with me driving this train! The sparse posts are mainly because 1) want to create some saucy intrigue, and 2) if I did a long post for every time I had pictures to upload I would either a) never upload photos or b) never have time to take photos because I would be spending all my time thinking up bad jokes and attempting to use a keyboard (a device still legally considered witchcraft in Louisiana). I try to do two or three longer posts a month and infill with mediocre photos in the mean time. But, much like seeing bare ankles at an Amish barn dance let’s keep the tease rolling...

No broken lights... just more of them... four if I count my finger correctly. 

7FD055A9-857E-4B0C-9035-3CD57AF12A78.thumb.jpeg.2428b6d797da1ec593c6895f7084658b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Wow 2

But............there primes..................WTF................ I know its a 10 gallon but cmon lets at least put a radion 250 MH over it............. :biggrin:

• Haha 3
41 minutes ago, spectra said:

But............there primes..................WTF................ I know its a 10 gallon but cmon lets at least put a radion 250 MH over it............. :biggrin:

So I thought about both Radions and Orpheks (both options would have been cheaper) however, I’m not looking for more power or PAR. I’m looking for less shading, and I think the best option for that Is four individual pucks mounted on ball head mounts that can be placed essentially in the corners and aimed inwards, achieving multi angled coverage. I could be wrong, but I’m not sure a single radion or orphek can will be able to reduce the shading in a similar way. Also compared to other options the Primes are aesthetically pleasing and don’t require a crazy mounting rig, instead they screw into a single M5 bolt which makes fabricating a wall mount much easier. Plus they can be individually controlled and/or replaced/upgraded. Again I’m just a Louisiana coonass but having thought about it for a few minutes I couldn’t come up with a better option that would look as good,, but then again that’s a low standard since counting past 20 down yonder (unless you’re with a friend) can be difficult. 

Here is a front view with only 2 of the lights turned on (all four are mounted). It honestly doesn’t look that much different than just two lights. 

5873F2E4-BEBB-4F2E-A6F0-FA38BB53EC72.thumb.jpeg.66d8223081f29e673fb3b0edcccfba16.jpeg

• Like 9
Snow_Phoenix
11 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

So I thought about both Radions and Orpheks (both options would have been cheaper) however, I’m not looking for more power or PAR. I’m looking for less shading, and I think the best option for that Is four individual pucks mounted on ball head mounts that can be placed essentially in the corners and aimed inwards, achieving multi angled coverage. I could be wrong, but I’m not sure a single radion or orphek can will be able to reduce the shading in a similar way. Also compared to other options the Primes are aesthetically pleasing and don’t require a crazy mounting rig, instead they screw into a single M5 bolt which makes fabricating a wall mount much easier. Plus they can be individually controlled and/or replaced/upgraded. Again I’m just a Louisiana coonass but having thought about it for a few minutes I couldn’t come up with a better option that would look as good,, but then again that’s a low standard since counting past 20 down yonder (unless you’re with a friend) can be difficult. 

Here is a front view with only 2 of the lights turned on (all four are mounted). It honestly doesn’t look that much different than just two lights. 

5873F2E4-BEBB-4F2E-A6F0-FA38BB53EC72.thumb.jpeg.66d8223081f29e673fb3b0edcccfba16.jpeg

What are you mounting it to? The back of the tank? 

Add-On: I just re-read your post. Sorry for the silly question. I didn't read through it properly earlier. 😞 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Can a non resident become a Certified Coonass or nah?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Ha! I was going to tell him 1960 called and wants their chair cushion back. Your comment is better!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 10/3/2020 at 10:17 PM, WV Reefer said:

Can a non resident become a Certified Coonass or nah?

I’m not entirely sure about “certified” I’ll have to consult the rule books, however, I do know that if you meet certain criteria you can become an “ Honoree“ coonass, which is pretty cool. In fact, I’m pretty sure there is some sort of coonass reciprocity with West Virginia, but of course I’ll have to check the by-laws.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:56 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

Oh no did the light die? 

On 10/4/2020 at 9:01 AM, Pjanssen said:

Ha! I was going to tell him 1960 called and wants their chair cushion back. Your comment is better!

1960’s Louisiana faux Versailles? That’s the dream! Second only to (and this is a direct quote from a politician describing his home in Franklinton, LA), “it’s like 1950’s Vegas... but with more gold!” To be fair, we had been drinking a lot of silver bullets and scotch all night and he was describing his living room which had a waterfall in it... ...that weekend ended when my buddy putTing on Buffalo Bill’s Real jacket... back to the kitchen...

So Being curious about the fabric choice, I asked the significant other, who Informed me by typing the following: “Raoul + Scalamandre Collab” whatever the Flying Spaghetti Monster that is... but to answer the question, out kitchen is a mishmash/hodgepodge of oddly named fabrics, circus signs, foreign knickknack’s, and Blenwood... terrifying.

Photos!!!

Pickles!

3F11BF8C-84C0-4863-BED6-EFB0E562B275.thumb.jpeg.6902eb439f4b35af23d58843fa34b20b.jpeg

Zoa garden slowly filling in...

9199CD05-C74F-4E5A-A660-CCE52B0FEF55.thumb.jpeg.290ad270fe338a5e0c3b0f4e5a1e92e2.jpeg

Digi...

6554F8C7-78F9-4D4A-B0EB-B903E0F008CD.thumb.jpeg.6261b6046ba013e993b7c0db9937e399.jpeg

Favia...

CEA5225E-5D86-421E-96DE-3D461679EF60.thumb.jpeg.4c2771997d254f71bec3b6e0cac2a955.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3
24 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I’m not entirely sure about “certified” I’ll have to consult the rule books, however, I do know that if you meet certain criteria you can become an “ Honoree“ coonass, which is pretty cool. In fact, I’m pretty sure there is some sort of coonass reciprocity with West Virginia, but of course I’ll have to check the by-laws.

1960’s Louisiana faux Versailles? That’s the dream! Second only to (and this is a direct quote from a politician describing his home in Franklinton, LA), “it’s like 1950’s Vegas... but with more gold!” To be fair, we had been drinking a lot of silver bullets and scotch all night and he was describing his living room which had a waterfall in it... ...that weekend ended when my buddy putTing on Buffalo Bill’s Real jacket... back to the kitchen...

So Being curious about the fabric choice, I asked the significant other, who Informed me by typing the following: “Raoul + Scalamandre Collab” whatever the Flying Spaghetti Monster that is... but to answer the question, out kitchen is a mishmash/hodgepodge of oddly named fabrics, circus signs, foreign knickknack’s, and Blenwood... terrifying.

Photos!!!

Pickles!

3F11BF8C-84C0-4863-BED6-EFB0E562B275.thumb.jpeg.6902eb439f4b35af23d58843fa34b20b.jpeg

Zoa garden slowly filling in...

9199CD05-C74F-4E5A-A660-CCE52B0FEF55.thumb.jpeg.290ad270fe338a5e0c3b0f4e5a1e92e2.jpeg

Digi...

6554F8C7-78F9-4D4A-B0EB-B903E0F008CD.thumb.jpeg.6261b6046ba013e993b7c0db9937e399.jpeg

Favia...

CEA5225E-5D86-421E-96DE-3D461679EF60.thumb.jpeg.4c2771997d254f71bec3b6e0cac2a955.jpeg

Wait wait... is that the female or the male?

And I haven’t seen faux Versailles around in like 30 + years. Meaning, I was just out of diapers. Do we need to take up a raffle to get you some newer faux Versailles?? I’m sure we can find something extra special in NO that’s still flashy like that. 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Wait wait... is that the female or the male?

And I haven’t seen faux Versailles around in like 30 + years. Meaning, I was just out of diapers. Do we need to take up a raffle to get you some newer faux Versailles?? I’m sure we can find something extra special in NO that’s still flashy like that. 

That’s the female! Apparently, this a matriarchal species or my lady wasp is what the youngin’ call a “boss b#tch,” or my male is a lame nerd that no one likes. Either way she is alway out and about shaking her fancy fins looking for food While he hides under a rock in the back doing his best impression of a wet blanket. I don’t think even Blenwood likes him, and unless you are a hermit crab or Nickleback, that’s a bad sign....

• Like 4
  • Haha 3