Coral Vue Hydros

Help with nanobox retro

FISHnChix

So I just bought a nanobox retro plus from intank.  Just received it today and am having a hard time setting it up. Note my biggest concern with this light was it didn't have an actual button to turn on lights it utilizes a bluefish controller, which sounds good if...... if it works.. 

so so my question to you guys is how to set up this controller. It has this blink up mode that you use . I did that . There is an imp card that has a red blinking led on it. Supposedly you just hold your phone up to it while it does this blinking jazz and boom it hooks up.. I finally got it to connect only after I turned my brightness on my S7 (which the phone warns you will be too bright for long periods and may damage your eye lol) , and covered the card and phone with a box. So all is good right.. nope now the red light on the imp turns green and stays green and the actual nano box leds turn on and starts blinking through its leds like its testing them or something. At this point the bluefish app stalls out and doesn't load any further... mean while my nanobox keeps blinking through its leds. Like one color leds turn on then off then the next color turns off and on and so on..

oh and this imp card that came in the blue fish controller looks used it is dirty and has a sharpie marker drawn on start.. what's with that.. a lot of money for a used part... I get maybe the manufacturer drew a star on it so it knew it was tested maybe ..but why does it look dirty light it's been pulled out and put in a bunch of times???

Also I tried to rest the bluefish controller and it doesn't seem like it will. I might not be doing that part correctly though

My wifi has two options, 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. I think the bluefish needs to be connected to the 2.4Ghz one to work. I am not sure if this is your issue but just thought I would throw that out there since mine wasn't working until I found that out.

3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

My wifi has two options, 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. I think the bluefish needs to be connected to the 2.4Ghz one to work. I am not sure if this is your issue but just thought I would throw that out there since mine wasn't working until I found that out.

Thank you I did read a few posts about this before I bought it, so yes I am on the 2.4 hz..

I don't think it's an wifi issue bc it does connect and the imp card led turns green. But I'm not 100 percent certain on that.

Thanks for the suggestion I'm hoping it is something simple like this ..

Is it perhaps installing an update? 

Here are what the codes mean:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Y2TQ1N3oWI8J:https://aquarium-led-controller.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/bluefish-mini-manual.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I checked my bluefish that is working and it does not show any type/color of light. So the green may mean updating but I am not sure. Mine has been set up for awhile now so I can't really remember what hocus pocus it did.

@DaveFason can probably help.

11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Is it perhaps installing an update? 

Here are what the codes mean:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Y2TQ1N3oWI8J:https://aquarium-led-controller.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/bluefish-mini-manual.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I checked my bluefish that is working and it does not show any type/color of light. So the green may mean updating but I am not sure. Mine has been set up for awhile now so I can't really remember what hocus pocus it did.

@DaveFason can probably help.

Yea I thought that could be the case one had it running 30 mins ibhope an update wouldn't take longer than that lol..

I did email dave . Hoping for a response tomorrow. I had emailed him before I bought this unit and got a quick response so hopefully he will do the same this time during his work hours tomorrow..

1 minute ago, Weikel said:

Yea I thought that could be the case one had it running 30 mins ibhope an update wouldn't take longer than that lol..

I did email dave . Hoping for a response tomorrow. I had emailed him before I bought this unit and got a quick response so hopefully he will do the same this time during his work hours tomorrow..

Just saw your email and you have a programmer card! Yikes! 

Sending a new card tomorrow. Sorry for the mix up. I thought I tossed the old programmer!

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Just saw your email and you have a programmer card! Yikes! 

Sending a new card tomorrow. Sorry for the mix up. I thought I tossed the old programmer!

Haha ok not sure what a programmer card is but if you email me I can give you my mailing address.  I did order this from intank so you might not have my address..  let me know if you need the other card back.

Thanks!!

Got my new imp card today and installed my lights. Was super easy to do. Thanks again to dave for a quick response to get my problem solved.

Some minor issues I had were

1. Getting the bluefish to blink up. This was annoying but light is the key. Make sure your phone is on high brightness and cover the card and phone with a box or something and it should hook right up. And be on the 2.4 hz wifi not the 5 Hz most of us use now. 

2. The power cable from the lights to the quick disconnect was short and would have had the dissconnect under the hood and I didn't want that. I just spliced in a piece of wire to get the connector out side of the hood.. also I do electrical and tech work and have had problems with the new fancy wire nuts that are used in the light kit so I just removed them and butt spliced them instead .. better connection imo.

Just those 2 little things but everything else was perfect and easy to install.  Now to just figure out how to set this bluefish controller . Haha

Oh and do yourself a favor if you buy this kit or any mod kit . Test it before you install it just in case something is faulty.  You dont want to reinstall everything until you correct the issue...