Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rory's fusion 10: now rocking a reefled 50

Rory282

16 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

So you notice i’m not wearing pants, the fact that i’m a frog doesn’t bother you?  :D

Thanks!

Thanks! 

Next thing i’m going to order is my ato or my custom acrylic lid... 

Thinking about using aquaforest probiotic reef salt, any thoughts? 

Been using aquaforest salt for last year and can’t say nothing bad about it. I just order there components 1,2,3 as I’m almost out of salt and want to go over to the balling method. Also just got their test kits for calc and mag so looking forward to trying them out for 1st time

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Lynton said:

Been using aquaforest salt for last year and can’t say nothing bad about it. I just order there components 1,2,3 as I’m almost out of salt and want to go over to the balling method. Also just got their test kits for calc and mag so looking forward to trying them out for 1st time

Good to hear that! Not planning on dosing anything or using the balling method or something.

Just simple water changes, keeping it simple as this is my first reef tank.

Let me know how those test kits are. Doubting between the nyos, red sea or aquaforest test kits.

2 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Good to hear that! Not planning on dosing anything or using the balling method or something.

Just simple water changes, keeping it simple as this is my first reef tank.

Let me know how those test kits are. Doubting between the nyos, red sea or aquaforest test kits.

Yea will do, on holiday at moment so tank it’s ticking over by itself ?, just hope all ok. Will use test kits as soon as I’m home

• Like 1
VaporCountry

Looking great so far, really like the look of the modern stand!!! I will be following

I just set up a 10g Nuvo as well, as far as an ATO I got the Smartaqua Micro and so far really like it. Its super small and takes up almost no room.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lynton said:

Yea will do, on holiday at moment so tank it’s ticking over by itself ?, just hope all ok. Will use test kits as soon as I’m home

Hope all goes well mate, enjoy your holiday.

4 hours ago, VaporCountry said:

Looking great so far, really like the look of the modern stand!!! I will be following

I just set up a 10g Nuvo as well, as far as an ATO I got the Smartaqua Micro and so far really like it. Its super small and takes up almost no room.

Thx Vapor, i saw your build thread. Things are coming along nicely. Love the sixline! They are such beautiful fish. 

Yeah the smartaqua micro is a great choice, to bad it’s not available in europe. 

I’ll have to settle for a tunze 3152 or 3155. Everything else here is just to big. 

VaporCountry
5 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Thx Vapor, i saw your build thread. Things are coming along nicely. Love the sixline! They are such beautiful fish. 

Yeah the smartaqua micro is a great choice, to bad it’s not available in europe. 

I’ll have to settle for a tunze 3152 or 3155. Everything else here is just to big. 

Thanks man, thats a shame you can't get that ATO. Do you guys get icecap products? They make one thats has 2 optical sensors that looks pretty nice. Not as small as the smartaqua but I think it would still fit. I guess you would have a little more protection from a failure with the 2 sensors

IceCap-Auto-Top-Off-ATO-99.thumb.jpg.9a598869cadd084c060a442d40b4e019.jpg

12 hours ago, VaporCountry said:

Thanks man, thats a shame you can't get that ATO. Do you guys get icecap products? They make one thats has 2 optical sensors that looks pretty nice. Not as small as the smartaqua but I think it would still fit. I guess you would have a little more protection from a failure with the 2 sensors

Nope, no icecap either. What i do see is that different manufacturers release the same products. For instance cobalt aquatics have got a lot of the same products as aquael. In the us almost everybody loves cobalt products but in europe aquael hasn’t got a good reputation. It’s funny how that goes...

The icecap sumps are sold as TMC reef sumps in europe, the tmc skimmers look similar but the ato is totally different. (Way to big)

6E110A4C-057E-4025-939D-49037E25F034.thumb.jpeg.5a43a6e96c045324259ab8077a76cb55.jpeg

For test kits,I would go Red Sea. I used them for years until I stopped testing,which I should probably start again. 

I always used RSCP salt,then switched to Aquaforest and hate it. I'm going to get the RS Blue Bucket and try that next. 

Definitely going to be a nice tank once it gets going. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

For test kits,I would go Red Sea. I used them for years until I stopped testing,which I should probably start again. 

I always used RSCP salt,then switched to Aquaforest and hate it. I'm going to get the RS Blue Bucket and try that next. 

Definitely going to be a nice tank once it gets going. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences Reefkid88, could you tell me why you hate the aquaforest salt? 

I will do my best to make the tank as nice as possible :)

This is just what I experienced in my tank,I had way better numbers,colors,growth with RSCP,besides the high alk and high po3 I had with my very last batch I used. With AF havent had much growth,color and all trace elements werent even close to what the bucket and individual results said,everything was WAY lower (I had my local store test a fresh small container of water mixed at 1.026).

Don't get me wrong,people have good results with the salt,I'm just not all that happy with it.

I may also try Tropic Marin salt,my local store uses it and growth and color is AMAZING. 

28 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

This is just what I experienced in my tank,I had way better numbers,colors,growth with RSCP,besides the high alk and high po3 I had with my very last batch I used. With AF havent had much growth,color and all trace elements werent even close to what the bucket and individual results said,everything was WAY lower (I had my local store test a fresh small container of water mixed at 1.026).

Don't get me wrong,people have good results with the salt,I'm just not all that happy with it.

I may also try Tropic Marin salt,my local store uses it and growth and color is AMAZING. 

I think everyone has their “fav” salt, think it’s hard to go from one salt to another. I used RSCP on my last tank had no problems with it then. Just started a new tank in May and heard good things about AF so gave them a go and so far so good. I think when  your looking for salt u need to research and choose a salt and try and stick with for consistency ? 

Absolutely. I completely agree with you,I used RSCP for 6 years,never had a problem until phosphates shot to almost 1ppm,tested a measuring cup of water and sure enough,the whole bucket had phosphates. 

I have been using AF for almost 2 years,I have no beef with it,just nothing really looks good. But I'm not gonna waste a whole bucket. I have maybe 15% of a bucket left and then I'm switching to RS blue bucket or Tropic Marin. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Thx for the detailed info mate, glad you shared your experience. Tropic Marin salt is also strongly recommended. One of the better salts you can buy. If i could find it in Belgium i would buy the fritz rpm salt. Been hearing great things about it.

1 hour ago, Lynton said:

I think everyone has their “fav” salt, think it’s hard to go from one salt to another. I used RSCP on my last tank had no problems with it then. Just started a new tank in May and heard good things about AF so gave them a go and so far so good. I think when  your looking for salt u need to research and choose a salt and try and stick with for consistency ? 

Indeed everyone has their fav. salt. My lf has a red sea max nano on display using the aquaforest probiotic salt. I must admit that tank looks fantastic. A colleague of mine used rscp on his aqua medic yasha and was happy with it. He upgraded his tank to a 40 gallon custom tank and is now using af probiotic and couldn’t be happier. 

9 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Thx for the detailed info mate, glad you shared your experience. Tropic Marin salt is also strongly recommended. One of the better salts you can buy. If i could find it in Belgium i would buy the fritz rpm salt. Been hearing great things about it.

Indeed everyone has their fav. salt. My lf has a red sea max nano on display using the aquaforest probiotic salt. I must admit that tank looks fantastic. A colleague of mine used rscp on his aqua medic yasha and was happy with it. He upgraded his tank to a 40 gallon custom tank and is now using af probiotic and couldn’t be happier. 

Yea I’m on my last lot of probiotic salt now, think I have one water change worth of salt left, then going no water changes. Bought the pre mixed components 1,2,3 for same price as the salt as tank won’t be using that much trace elements yet but when they do then I’ll going over to the dry mix and make my own as it will so much cheaper

14 hours ago, Lynton said:

Yea I’m on my last lot of probiotic salt now, think I have one water change worth of salt left, then going no water changes. Bought the pre mixed components 1,2,3 for same price as the salt as tank won’t be using that much trace elements yet but when they do then I’ll going over to the dry mix and make my own as it will so much cheaper

Just found your reefer 170 build thread, following.

I’m also going to set up a reefer 170 in the future, already have my skimmer and return pump and going to use a different sump. (Check out my other build thread, reefer 170 slow motion)

Are you going to document the transfer to the 1,2,3 system? Curious to find out how it will work out. Love your clownfish btw, really love the look of a snowflake. 

On 10/2/2017 at 5:15 PM, Rory282 said:

So you notice i’m not wearing pants, the fact that i’m a frog doesn’t bother you?  :D

Thanks!

Thanks! 

Next thing i’m going to order is my ato or my custom acrylic lid... 

Thinking about using aquaforest probiotic reef salt, any thoughts? 

I use the AquaForest sea salt version and really like it for my softie tank.  Mixes up much cleaner than IO did for me.  Couldn't tell you if it mixed up to stated parameters as I haven't tested in many years lol.

On 10/3/2017 at 5:47 PM, Rory282 said:

If you need a quick, inexpensive ATO you could look at the hamster bottle ATO made from a water bottle for small pets, @Nano sapiens has used a pair on his 12 gallon for years.

@Reefkid88 out of curiosity, which version of AF salt were you using, was it the probiotic version?

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I use the AquaForest sea salt version and really like it for my softie tank.  Mixes up much cleaner than IO did for me.  Couldn't tell you if it mixed up to stated parameters as I haven't tested in many years lol.

If you need a quick, inexpensive ATO you could look at the hamster bottle ATO made from a water bottle for small pets, @Nano sapiens has used a pair on his 12 gallon for years.

@Reefkid88 out of curiosity, which version of AF salt were you using, was it the probiotic version?

I believe its just the regular reef salt,I will have to check when I get home I havent looked at the name since I got it lol. 

14 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I believe its just the regular reef salt,I will have to check when I get home I havent looked at the name since I got it lol. 

:lol: Yeah it can be confusing when there's three versions that all come in purple buckets!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Just found your reefer 170 build thread, following.

I’m also going to set up a reefer 170 in the future, already have my skimmer and return pump and going to use a different sump. (Check out my other build thread, reefer 170 slow motion)

Are you going to document the transfer to the 1,2,3 system? Curious to find out how it will work out. Love your clownfish btw, really love the look of a snowflake. 

Yea think I subbed that thread aswell... ?

yea I will be document everything, it’s hard to take pics with iPhone so the few corals I do Ave in there at the min look crap. I haven’t updated it for October yet but will do now I’m home from holiday.  Yea I love them clowns (bonnie and Clyde) had them 3 years now, waited so long to get them as wanted something striking/brightly coloured. 

On 6/10/2017 at 12:04 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Thx Lula Mae, going to to start with the probiotic version. Doing weekly 20 or 30% wc should help to keep all parameters right where i want them to be. The fact that it mixes up quick and clean is a huge plus i think. 

That hamster bottle ato is a brilliant and cheap alternative, but i want my ato reservoir inside the low left shelf so the tank has some counterweight.

14 hours ago, Lynton said:

Yea think I subbed that thread aswell... ?

yea I will be document everything, it’s hard to take pics with iPhone so the few corals I do Ave in there at the min look crap. I haven’t updated it for October yet but will do now I’m home from holiday.  Yea I love them clowns (bonnie and Clyde) had them 3 years now, waited so long to get them as wanted something striking/brightly coloured. 

Hehe nice names! 

I know taking pics with my iphone 7 isn’t easy when the skyye light is on. Way too much blue in the pics.

just saw your update, everything doing ok, looks really nice mate.

• Like 1
On 07/10/2017 at 11:56 AM, Rory282 said:

Thx Lula Mae, going to to start with the probiotic version. Doing weekly 20 or 30% wc should help to keep all parameters right where i want them to be. The fact that it mixes up quick and clean is a huge plus i think. 

That hamster bottle ato is a brilliant and cheap alternative, but i want my ato reservoir inside the low left shelf so the tank has some counterweight.

Hehe nice names! 

I know taking pics with my iphone 7 isn’t easy when the skyye light is on. Way too much blue in the pics.

just saw your update, everything doing ok, looks really nice mate.

Yea just ordered a new toys for the tank, should be here 2mw so will post the new goodies then. Yea it’s ticking over nicely, just need to fill it with more frags now ?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2017 at 12:31 AM, VaporCountry said:

Suprise suprise... Tmc’s new product for this winter ;)

C7BAFDC5-71BA-43BA-9D6F-7B5841019D78.thumb.png.de501994539cb8daa0c986eb911ffbfe.png

• Haha 1

lol you called it. Did you order an ATO yet? Shame it isn't out yet. I couldn't find any dimensions on it but it looks like it would work.

As far as salt I'm using Redsea coral pro. It seems ok but i have heard good things about Fritz RPM salt. I ordered a small bag to try once I'm out of this Redsea.

Did you nanobox come in yet? Im a little jealous....that is one nice light