Cultivated Reef

Rory's fusion 10: now rocking a reefled 50

Rory282

So tank is doing great. Waiting out the brooklynella horror. 

Going to pick up a small torch and gsp frag this week. 

Here’s a pic of the torch.

9C8149DA-E322-41CB-BF97-8C3010479EF5.thumb.png.7426a952d954f3d63484cbc14e8c00fb.png

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

So i picked up the small torch and gsp frag. The torch really adds so much life to the tank. (3 weeks left before i can add fish)

loving the tank! Once everything is settled i’ll think about where i’m going to put the corals on my rock or sandbed. 

9DA50C50-5F9D-4D5B-A1AF-6841C7805666.thumb.jpeg.d43c3010ff952101e539e434026a7d18.jpeg

6FCA92C4-DB8A-45AD-9B9F-D4549A7CFEF2.thumb.jpeg.20cdb6b0009aa9941c23177484eaf4a9.jpeg

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Looks good man!   Are you slowly acclimating them to your light?   Also I find it odd that where you got that torch they left that little stub of a dead head.   Not that you should worry, just seems odd to me.

6 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Looks good man!   Are you slowly acclimating them to your light?   Also I find it odd that where you got that torch they left that little stub of a dead head.   Not that you should worry, just seems odd to me.

Thx Surveyman! 

The torch and gsp came from a colleague (paid 20$). He had the torch and gsp in his tank (25gallon) under a hydra26hd almost at full blast. So i hope it will be fine under my nanobox.

the reason he wanted to get rid of the torch was that little stub. Is there anything i can do about it to remove it? 

SURVEYMAN46123
7 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

Thx Surveyman! 

The torch and gsp came from a colleague (paid 20$). He had the torch and gsp in his tank (25gallon) under a hydra26hd almost at full blast. So i hope it will be fine under my nanobox.

the reason he wanted to get rid of the torch was that little stub. Is there anything i can do about it to remove it? 

That stub is so close to the other branches, I'm not sure you can.   The only option would be separating all three heads, and I'm sure you don't want to do that. 

I had a hammer that still had a stub from a die off, and it just never fully opened or looked happy.   I traded it to another reefer that cut the other heads off, and now its thriving. 

3 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

That stub is so close to the other branches, I'm not sure you can.   The only option would be separating all three heads, and I'm sure you don't want to do that. 

I had a hammer that still had a stub from a die off, and it just never fully opened or looked happy.   I traded it to another reefer that cut the other heads off, and now its thriving. 

Hmmm the torch has been in my colleagues tank for almost one year and always looked happy. I will keep an eye on it. Thx for the tip Surveyman. If i’m ever confident enough i’ll cut them in to frags. 

SURVEYMAN46123
2 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

Hmmm the torch has been in my colleagues tank for almost one year and always looked happy. I will keep an eye on it. Thx for the tip Surveyman. If i’m ever confident enough i’ll cut them in to frags. 

Good deal.   What happened with mine may not be the case with yours.   Wish you luck with that torch.   Torches are my favorite obviously.  ;)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Good deal.   What happened with mine may not be the case with yours.   Wish you luck with that torch.   Torches are my favorite obviously.  ;)

Thx mate! Torch, hammers and frogspawns. I just love them. My lfs has got like 5 big golden hammer corals. If i already had my reefer i would buy one of them. They are just to beautiful!

• Like 1

Looks good! Keep the gsp on its own private rock because it's really hard to get it off once it takes hold. And it can take over everything. I love mine, though, I just keep it in a corner flowing in the current.

3 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Looks good! Keep the gsp on its own private rock because it's really hard to get it off once it takes hold. And it can take over everything. I love mine, though, I just keep it in a corner flowing in the current.

Thx Teeny, thx for the gsp tip. Was going to put a small piece of rock in the tank just for the gsp only :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Update time:

Did my 3 gallon wc today. Everything is doing great. Picked up a nice acan from my lfs!

So next week my tank has been fishless for 8 weeks. So hopefully bye bye brooklynella. The only downside is i have to go through surgery on the 16th. I have an inguinal hernia. (Had it for the last 2 years but the pain is killing me now). Don’t know if i’m going to buy the fish before or after the surgery.

Anyway here are some pics and a short video.

43F028FC-C0EC-4F1D-9CF3-E92DFCAED36D.thumb.jpeg.e7a6bb7efacfda155a8973e506f97bd1.jpeg

838B25A8-3572-47CA-B09B-4433E7500A05.thumb.jpeg.c38ea3e0e0129fb067728b1bc7eda367.jpeg

8B87AE70-B0B6-4AF0-8354-A7A0584B7043.thumb.jpeg.d67cc077ca963e2f752fd76b18761ce6.jpeg

• Like 1
On 8/4/2018 at 9:14 PM, Pjanssen said:

Nice acan colony. Good luck with the surgery. I’d probably wait until after the surgery to add the fish. Just an opinion

Thx! I know, if something goes wrong i wont be able to react the first couple of days. On the other hand i have my wife and my father (we kept freshwater tanks together when i was a kid). So they can do wc an other things that need to be done and it would be a great distraction during the recovery :).  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Update:

New clown since 2 weeks ago, he is doing ok after a rough first week. When i introduced him to the tank he was not doing very well. Had signs of brooklynella so i feared for the worst. After 5 days he started eating frozen food and after a week he started eating pellets and granules (small pellets). 

Going to swap out the eheim compact 300 for the eheim compact 1000. The idea was to move the water slowly through the filtermedia but using no skimmer and not being able to point the mp10 at the water surface i’m always worried about the level of gas exchange. I just fear the mp10 and eheim 300 aren’t providing the tank with enough oxygen.

Also thinking about buying a skimmer for my tank just don’t know what skimmer to get. 

Here’s a shot video of my tank:

• Like 3

So today i swapped the eheim compact on 300 for the eheim compact on 600. I really think the 1000 would be overkill... There is a lot more surface agitation right now and i’m hoping this will provide my tank with enough oxygen. 

Pics or it didn’t happen! 

B15087A2-D568-44E0-9ECC-E0DA0F4A1B6D.thumb.jpeg.68eaf765e01c96abae99fbe3d91d7f35.jpeg

• Like 1

Rory, your setup looks nice and clean. Love the brick wall and table as well. Following :) 

I hope to pickup that light soon. Love the small form factor of the nanobox lights. Your scape looks good as well...Very natural looking. 

What are your upcoming plans for the tank?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates but i have been suuuuuper busy the last few weeks.

My tank is doing great. Doing my weekly water changes and everything is looking good. 

My featherdusters are spawning like crazy, i now have like 200 small ones…

I noticed doing smaller wc's was better for my corals. i used to change like 10 liters (1/3 of the tank) but changed it to 5 liters.

I also bought a second (small) clownfish to keep the other one some company, they are getting along perfectly.

1994283509_imfusion10.thumb.JPG.7bbb68526e846a36c1eb24917d97a6d6.JPG

The small clown is always trying to host the torch coral 😀

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, Kdrof said:

Rory, your setup looks nice and clean. Love the brick wall and table as well. Following :) 

I hope to pickup that light soon. Love the small form factor of the nanobox lights. Your scape looks good as well...Very natural looking. 

What are are you upcoming plans for the tank?

I'm planning to let things grow for a while and maybe adding a small hammer and frogspawn. Love euphyllia corals!

The light is amaaaaazing, there is just no other light that looks that good over the fusion 10.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Update:

Well i lost my small clownfish again... Don’t know what happened. It was eating fine, getting along with the bigger clownfish. It started to lose all of it’s colors last week and it died on monday. Always sad to lose a fish.

Water parameters are good so that can’t be the problem...

My corals are doing great and are slowly growing. The acan is getting more beautiful by the day, the color is just amazing. 

Picked up a duncan frag from my lfs today. It was only 10$. 

1F1CD703-189A-4E7C-B539-3EF993ECB57F.thumb.jpeg.d21436ce68e5bbdb10f7d19c0fa56dcd.jpegLooking forward to see this thing grow. 

Euphylin me

what is your acclimation process for the fish? also, i would get a formalin bath going in a separate container (you dont want this stuff in your display tank) and treat any clowns that you have/are going to get. brook isnt something you want as you have seen.....what made you think the first clown that passed had brook?

• 1 month later...

Update time: ik know it’s been a while.

Tank is still up and running, been battling aiptasia and some algea issues. 

Stupid aiptasia is taking over the gsp frag 😤

Had polyp bail out on one of the torch heads.

My acan, duncan and zoa’s are doing great! Duncan is already growing 2 new heads.

I also added a small airstone driven skimmer, it’s breaking in at the moment.

I bought the eheim skim marine 100. It fits perfectly! 

Pics:

7CE4A282-7DBF-41A3-AC1F-6418022567C7.thumb.jpeg.b0d594df03db327b649c99f391a8d735.jpeg

322DF8A3-137D-49B3-ABE3-6B63C259D2B0.thumb.jpeg.a4f9c1031176b7d52ea6380d49006f23.jpeg283DB249-0ACC-4F93-942A-5F2D5633EC79.thumb.jpeg.fceda12bd9a4c825a99408f62263aa03.jpeg3961FC46-ADC0-45C1-A918-A2953B4ED9DC.thumb.jpeg.63d17a97707f61ff0e318661731701c6.jpeg

• Like 4

I had an aptasia problem too and I just picked up two peppermint shrimp and they ate them all. I try to avoid using chemicals but there is also a product called aptasia X....it works but should be a last resort. I also saw a YouTube video about somebody zapping them with lasers and it seem to be working in the video..... Looking good so far, keep it up!

On 6/22/2018 at 12:23 AM, Euphylin me said:

what is your acclimation process for the fish? also, i would get a formalin bath going in a separate container (you dont want this stuff in your display tank) and treat any clowns that you have/are going to get. brook isnt something you want as you have seen.....what made you think the first clown that passed had brook?

Sorry for te late reply.

Honestly there was no acclimation process. Letting the bag float for 15 minutes and slowly adding some tank water. Going to keep one fish for a while and slowly let everything settle.

Brook was diagnosed by a fellow reefer and lfs.

3 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

I had an aptasia problem too and I just picked up two peppermint shrimp and they ate them all. I try to avoid using chemicals but there is also a product called aptasia X....it works but should be a last resort. I also saw a YouTube video about somebody zapping them with lasers and it seem to be working in the video..... Looking good so far, keep it up!

Thx for the tip! Thinking about adding a peppermint shrimp because i don’t want those chemicals in my tank. I saw innapropriat reefer zapping his aiptasia on youtube, but i rather try the shrimp.