SaltCritters.com

Rory's fusion 10: now rocking a reefled 50

Rory282

3 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Any ammonium chloride that doesn't have surfactants (doesn't bubble or do anything special) will do; sometimes people find it at their hardware store. :) 

Thx for the tip! i think we have some at home! :)

5 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

Thx for the tip! i think we have some at home! :)

Good luck! Read the label carefully! No scents, no soap, no lathering, just pure ammonium chloride..

• Like 1

Congratulations, what an exciting time!

On the MP-10 wet side, I had one that was noisy, and when I took it apart I found the white sleeve was loose on the shaft. I used a tiny bit of superglue at the base to secure it and it's been quiet ever since. Just thought I'd mention it as something to check out.

• Like 1

Your mileage may vary, but I used 100% dry rock and only used ammonium chloride (Dr. Tim's).  I never experienced "the uglies" beside the diatom mess.  I'm not sure why you didn't just toss saltwater in the tank while you were busy just to kill time though. 

I'm sure you'll do great with this tank.  I can't wait to watch you succeed!

• Like 1
On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, teenyreef said:

Congratulations, what an exciting time!

On the MP-10 wet side, I had one that was noisy, and when I took it apart I found the white sleeve was loose on the shaft. I used a tiny bit of superglue at the base to secure it and it's been quiet ever since. Just thought I'd mention it as something to check out.

Thx Teeny i will look into it! Noise is bearable on reef crest (3 lights) when the tv is on. If everything is quiet it's just a little bit to loud.

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:10 PM, TatorTaco said:

Your mileage may vary, but I used 100% dry rock and only used ammonium chloride (Dr. Tim's).  I never experienced "the uglies" beside the diatom mess.  I'm not sure why you didn't just toss saltwater in the tank while you were busy just to kill time though. 

I'm sure you'll do great with this tank.  I can't wait to watch you succeed!

Haha when i think of it i actually don't know why i waited this long :lol:.

On ‎1‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, DaveFason said:

Glad to see this finally up and running! Now for more waiting :P

Thx Dave! I can't thank you enough for my awesome light.  (can't wait for my diffuser B))

Now in ohter news, my salinity is a little on the low side 1.021. Going to top up with seawater untill it's about 1.026.

Tank is still super clean. Here are some pictures of it in natural sunlight.IMG_3066.thumb.jpg.75b2ff06f54fc973fbfb59f3df0cc3ae.jpgIMG_3068.thumb.jpg.383f15f3ff90b3163d8edd82fa48cef4.jpg

• Like 4

Day 7 test results:

salinity: 1.022

ph: 8.2

Nh3/Nh4: 0.8

No3: 2

all this is measured with the red sea test kit. 

Tank is still looking spotless...

• Like 1

Tank is still looking super clean. 

Salinity is slowly rising, right now it’s 1.023 

if you are thinking why is there so many decorations on his stand. One of my cats  wants to go diving all the time but keeps ending up snorkling on the lid! <_<

B0BE7A84-3056-4170-B23B-985412D82B73.thumb.jpeg.f57c78f7e5d1f5f4929a9e5df6eee81c.jpeg

On 4/1/2018 at 3:08 PM, Cannedfish said:

Grab some popcorn (and maybe a nap)... As they say in the old country (Michigan) a watched tank, don't cycle. 

Now i want popcorn and maybe take a little nap!

• Like 1

Monday = test day + some pics

Salinity: 1.025

PH: 8.2

NH3/NH4: 0.0

NO3: 2

everything is looking fresh and clean... Waiting to add my first fish is hard :D

2989597A-0071-47AF-8246-8FFEDA8F27F9.thumb.jpeg.772b0d20c0e108b340f929474d8b0684.jpeg

E006A24B-23FA-4C37-BAE7-8C58427BE819.thumb.jpeg.44cada41664ada4532e1abfd7993c003.jpeg

29A7DBDE-DE9D-4D87-B877-B4A9A591CDD7.thumb.jpeg.d3317f32cb2b1100ab36c8761f6681e4.jpeg

B363EF68-B066-4770-8473-99A3203DD552.thumb.jpeg.b5d15c5ac0dd2737f684039c5166b28b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

So i went to my lfs/hobbyist today to pick up some chemi pure blue nano packs. Had my water tested and everything and he told me to put a simple coral in the tank, something like a zoa. Would that be ok? I’m thinking it’s to soon but he said he would give me a nice little frag for free because he was sure it would do great in my tank.

in other news, there are some little brown spots on my sandbed. Thinking diatoms?

On 15/1/2018 at 3:05 PM, DaveFason said:

Digging it! Just hang in there. Nothing happens quickly for reef tanks. 

-Dave

Thanks Dave i appreciate it! Can i already order the diffuser for my tide? If yes, could you send me a paypal link? :D

Do you see little bugs on the glass yet?

I've never tested my water in the beginning - I just waited for bugs to show up after a couple weeks, did a water change (and then kept doing them regularly), and then slowly started adding corals.

2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Do you see little bugs on the glass yet?

I've never tested my water in the beginning - I just waited for bugs to show up after a couple weeks, did a water change (and then kept doing them regularly), and then slowly started adding corals.

Nope no little bugs on the glass... 

I’m cycling with dead rock and live sand so the only chance to get little bugs is from the sand. 

So the idea was to add a little piece of live rock with a zoa on it... Not sure if this is a great idea...

So today i received this little zoa for free! B)A1319BA9-0F13-43C2-AB36-560BC4CC47DB.thumb.jpeg.c2c2ad865591f6a7b7857f26ce43f370.jpeg

It’s looking good! Everything opened up real quickly. 

Will need an iphone app to get rid of these blue pics...

• Like 3

So these are the zoa’s today. 

Do you think something is wrong or are they just still pisted that they got transferred to a new tank? 

D98E7566-2C81-45EF-BB48-CE38A1C412B1.thumb.jpeg.206d5f9ba4d48154e0670d5815ef7f83.jpeg

Sorry about the blue pic :)

22 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Very nice! That's a good sized one too! 

Yep, it is! Thanks Kimber! 

Don't worry too much if they open/close a lot. As long as they open up more and more you're good. I don't have a lot of experience with zoas, but I think they tend to "go to sleep" at night. 

Do you have any food (small particle) for them? 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Don't worry too much if they open/close a lot. As long as they open up more and more you're good. I don't have a lot of experience with zoas, but I think they tend to "go to sleep" at night. 

Do you have any food (small particle) for them? 

I have some small pellets for fish but nothing for corals at the moment. I tought you didn’t need to feed zoas (only palys)? What would you recommend giving them? 

11 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

I have some small pellets for fish but nothing for corals at the moment. I tought you didn’t need to feed zoas (only palys)? What would you recommend giving them? 

You don't have to feed them, but they might like it and it'll help them be happier. You could crush up some of the pellets to be like a powder, then mix with a little saltwater - turn off the flow and gently let the particles settle on the zoas using a baster or dropper. Leave flow off for 10-15 minutes. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kimberbee said:

You don't have to feed them, but they might like it and it'll help them be happier. You could crush up some of the pellets to be like a powder, then mix with a little saltwater - turn off the flow and gently let the particles settle on the zoas using a baster or dropper. Leave flow off for 10-15 minutes. 

Thx Kimber i just fed them and i’m switching my lighting over to Lps+ (New nanobox guide line). The zoas are used to led (vertex illumina) and my nanobox was like on 30% max... going to be watching them closely tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Yeah Zoa's will open and close a lot as they get used to your tank. They will also benefit from feeding. I used Reef Roids and they loved it. After a week or 2,you still see signs of growth and more vivid colors depending on what you feed. 

Phol's Xtra is really good too. Polyps get hugeee,but will cause algae really quick in a tabk your size or smaller. 

• Like 2

E09B0A82-DD84-47A1-8764-95D380623921.thumb.jpeg.2263670e14822d154a5d765f07f8470c.jpeg

So, the zoas are opening up more. Glad to see they are doing ok. 

I fed them some coral food, changed the lightsettings to the lps+ preset and my mp10 is now on reef crest 4 lights. Just love the way they look under the light in the evening! They are like glowing or something. 

• Like 3