inTank Media Baskets

Rory's fusion 10: now rocking a reefled 50

Rory282

On 8/6/2018 at 3:04 PM, DaveFason said:

Love the update. You can also use pickling lime to nuke the aptasia.

Thx Dave! Also thx for the tip but i think i want that shrimp 🤭

On 8/6/2018 at 6:24 PM, Euphylin me said:

what lid do you have on the tank? iv'e been looking for a complete cover to house a baby jawfish

I bought it from reef tops, you can find him on facebook or i can pm his email if you want. The guy is uk based and a great guy to work with.

On other news, that little skimmer is working great. The only downside right now is it takes a while before it skims after feeding. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Update:

I lost my clownfish, he had some kind of bacterial disease. Really sucks, i now lost 4 clownfish. Also lost my torch coral. Polyp bailout due to the heat wave we had in july and august... 

Had my water tested, everything is just fine. Corals are growing. My peppermint shrimp is doing great. It ate all the aiptasia within a week!

Just hate it that i keep losing my fish! Going to buy from another lfs now. 

How long should i wait before adding a new fish?

On other news, my little eheim skimmarine 100 is doing a great job! Really glad i added it to the system. 

Here you can see the clown with the bacterial disease:

AF5372F2-E9B0-4954-B7E0-F03CB3866E77.thumb.jpeg.0c2b3d7f308b4a4959dbeca9cf7af4ea.jpeg

Here is a pic of the nicest mod i made to the system:

C6FBB14D-EC40-4F04-BACB-0E686D4C6846.thumb.jpeg.f700be88f10cfb7da2db564629719ffc.jpeg

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

Sorry to hear about the clownfish 😞 

I would probably consider keeping the tank fallow for a good 6 to 8 weeks to be on the safe side. Others may have more precise advice.

Have you considered adding a skunk cleaner shrimp to your system? They can add quite a bit of life and movement to a system, kind of like having a fish. They're interesting characters.

• Like 1

i would also recommend going fallow and yes absolutely go with another lfs. sounds like their wholesaler overstocks the clown holding tanks. but yes, wait 8 weeks just to be safe. corals look beautiful by the way!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Sorry to hear about the clownfish 😞 

I would probably consider keeping the tank fallow for a good 6 to 8 weeks to be on the safe side. Others may have more precise advice.

Have you considered adding a skunk cleaner shrimp to your system? They can add quite a bit of life and movement to a system, kind of like having a fish. They're interesting characters.

Hi Christopher, great suggestion. I have considered keeping a skunk cleaner shrimp but i just bought a peppermint shrimp to battle aiptasia (with succes!). Do you think i could add another shrimp to my tank? I hardly ever see my peppermint shrimp. It's always hiding during the day. Will wait 8 weeks before adding a new fish.

15 hours ago, Euphylin me said:

i would also recommend going fallow and yes absolutely go with another lfs. sounds like their wholesaler overstocks the clown holding tanks. but yes, wait 8 weeks just to be safe. corals look beautiful by the way!

Thanks for the advice and indeed will wait 8 weeks before adding a new fish. I went to my other lfs and saw some nice looking snowflakes 😁

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
57 minutes ago, Rory282 said:

Do you think i could add another shrimp to my tank? I hardly ever see my peppermint shrimp.

Yeah, I think you could. Lots of people have successfully kept both shrimps together without any trouble.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Update:

everything is doing great. I’m now using two types of salt. One week i use colombo pro reef salt and the other week i’m using aquaforest reef salt. My corals responded good to this so i’m going to keep doing this. 

I’m also looking for some new corals. Just don’t know what to get. I really want to try a torch again or a hammer. Maybe another acan and zoa’s. What do you guys and girls think? 

Some pics i made today. Check my duncan, i really like this coral. 

BEB661D5-5A05-4CE4-98A4-B9E97AA38460.thumb.jpeg.201b980c6b7a96be7cfe207bc49cbce1.jpeg

802A850A-9158-47E3-A0E1-DD1A104A5432.thumb.jpeg.88094aa39b157ed95e627c9a1252d13f.jpeg

78CF7FD1-286F-44A2-97A4-C9D9A6BD043B.thumb.jpeg.37819102bec993064e6dcd6547cc327d.jpeg

D687AD87-5A7D-416C-9CB2-57E93CF61D0E.thumb.jpeg.44b615f1576c94009c99d6e2f0a2ef76.jpeg

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about the clownfish, that's such a bummer. I think you're doing the right thing - let the tank stay fallow, try a different source for the next fish.

Your peppermint shrimp will come out more as it gets bigger. Mine stays hidden until feeding time, then it comes out to wherever the food is. Bear in mind that shrimp will come and steal food from wherever it ends up, which is most from the mouths of your lps corals, unfortunately. I have a skunk cleaner shrimp in my 40g but I think he would be too much in my 10g. But I do have a lot of other stuff in there already, so it might be fine in a more lightly stocked tank like yours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So i finally have a new fish! After 7 weeks i added a pseudochromis fridmani last tuesday. It's eating fine and always likes to lurk from inside his cave. He is absolutely beautiful! 

IMG_20181018_183305_361.thumb.jpg.4e29c12d738b5fc9aa0a56ffa60917a6.jpg

He is really small and i was thinking if i could add a gobiodon okinawae to my tank next week or so. 

I was feeding some (dr bassleer, best food in the world imo) flakes tonight and my duncan caught some of it, only a few seconds later my peppermint shrimp came out of his cave and tried to steal it out of its mouth. They actually fought about it for like a minute. 

IMG_20181018_193605.thumb.jpg.09447bb15e40a8574dd4ca5df26b818d.jpg

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

That is the coolest air driven skimmer I habe ever seen. How did it perform ? 

Which one Reefkid? The atb one or the new eheim? 

The atb one is just to big and i have never used it. 

The eheim is working great, only downside is it randomly spits out microbubbles.

5 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Really ?! I went to their website and it looks like it is no longer available. That thing looked amazing. Eheim has a air driven skimmer ?! 

He still makes them if you order one. I could use this skimmer in the first chamber but i would lose the mechanical filtration.

I tested this for 2 days and it skimmed really good. You can really feel the quality and craftmanship that goes in it. 

I'm using the eheim skim marine 100 now, it really works great and fits perfectly.

13 minutes ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

MoRE CORAL. MORE CORAL. MORE CORAL

Hehe, maybe another zoa and acan frag… Planning on letting everything grow out, i would love to have a giant duncan and frogspawn 😁. And lots of gsp.

16 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Interesting how much was it ? That is Eheim the weirdest skimmer I have ever seen lol. 

You have to keep in mind it's handmade, it cost me about 100€ so about 110$ i think…

About the eheim, i know but it's working great. Next time i'm cleaning it i will take some pictures to show how dirty it is inside.

• 5 weeks later...