Coral Vue Hydros

Skunk tank size

Mark1313

So I've always been under the impression that a 25 liter (6.6 gal) is way to small for a skunk cleaner shrimp. 

My daughter loves em, I hate em (water spider) 

Recently I've seen posts that a skunk is ok for a 10 gal. I thought that was even to small. 

Not clueless, so I realize that say.. 2 clowns, or a tang, wrasse is out of bounds. Is a skunk out of bounds? I'm all about happy/healthy so I didn't think it was a good idea for my tank size to get a skunk. It even seems that the skunk antenna would be to large for my tank. 

Let's pretend I decided to get 1 clownfish for my 6.6 (I won't) , even a perc will outgrow that and I'll have to rehome or trade. Same premise for a skunk? Once it outgrows trade or rehome? Do I do this?

All my thinking says no, but I can be guilty of impulses and reading from a couple of sources to pull the trigger. 

Basically the only things in a 6.6 would be sexy shrimp, goby/pistol, cuc. Decent swimming room, scape is 2 rocks and an open middle. 

Guess what I'm asking is to stay with my research and no way do a skunk, or you are silly and it'll fit fine. 

From my own personal experience my cleaner shrimp stays on one side of my 55g tank. Just perch on this one rock and waits for the tang to swim by and for food to be dropped in tank. So when my 20 high is cycled  I am eventually adding a skunk cleaner. 

image.jpg

12 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

From my own personal experience my cleaner shrimp stays on one side of my 55g tank. Just perch on this one rock and waits for the tang to swim by and for food to be dropped in tank. So when my 20 high is cycled  I am eventually adding a skunk cleaner. 

image.jpg

Still it'll be 20 gal, I'm not even 1/2 that size. Killing me cause my daughter is spoiled, in a good way lol. She's a good kid, I just can't justify pulling the trigger on this. I don't think it's a smart idea on my end. 

TY Martin

5 hours ago, Mark1313 said:

Still it'll be 20 gal, I'm not even 1/2 that size. Killing me cause my daughter is spoiled, in a good way lol. She's a good kid, I just can't justify pulling the trigger on this. I don't think it's a smart idea on my end. 

TY Martin

Spare the rod...

Anyway, regarding the terror pos shrimp. I think it would live in you tank just fine, the question is can you live with it? If you don't mind watching lps and nems having their mouths dug into to get a scrap of food, if you don't mind it creepy crawling all over every coral you own, then you are a good skunk cleaner shrimp owner. I had one in a Bc14 and it was the worst pita pos. I flushed it and felt no guilt about it. It didn't matter how much it ate, if I fed the lps it was digging, and by that I mean reaching its devil claws down INSIDE of the mouths and taking food. Worst livestock addition ever. I'd rather have crabs, and that goes for in tank or in pants. 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Spare the rod...

Anyway, regarding the terror pos shrimp. I think it would live in you tank just fine, the question is can you live with it? If you don't mind watching lps and nems having their mouths dug into to get a scrap of food, if you don't mind it creepy crawling all over every coral you own, then you are a good skunk cleaner shrimp owner. I had one in a Bc14 and it was the worst pita pos. I flushed it and felt no guilt about it. It didn't matter how much it ate, if I fed the lps it was digging, and by that I mean reaching its devil claws down INSIDE of the mouths and taking food. Worst livestock addition ever. I'd rather have crabs, and that goes for in tank or in pants. 

Lmao cheers Bro. Honestly lol. I think you summed that up for me perfectly. 

No I can't live with it. 

Remember spare the rod though... Remember it, cause you'll also see it lol. 

4 minutes ago, Mark1313 said:

Lmao cheers Bro. Honestly lol. I think you summed that up for me perfectly. 

No I can't live with it. 

Remember spare the rod though... Remember it, cause you'll also see it lol. 

Don't be gross. 

I knew 1891 would post in this thread lol. 

The skunk will definitely fight your corals/anems/fish for food.  It depends if you want to constantly swat it away while you do your feedings and then debate if you want to murder it when it rips open your closed up corals that are trying to digest/eat their food.

2 minutes ago, cju84 said:

The skunk will definitely fight your corals/anems/fish for food.  It depends if you want to constantly swat it away while you do your feedings and then debate if you want to murder it when it rips open your closed up corals that are trying to digest/eat their food.

I'd rather watch a mini ecosystem than play zookeeper. Shrimp taste good for a reason. 

• Like 1

Nope 

Just now, Mark1313 said:

Nope 

4 minutes ago, cju84 said:

2 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

I'd rather watch a mini ecosystem than play zookeeper. Shrimp taste good for a reason. 

Hey I opened my mouth on another thread. Journal thing. I honestly like your opinion... So feel free. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, cju84 said:

Tell it like it is. I mirdered it. The local DA didn't see fit to bring charges so I'm that much more gangster. Go me. Yay. 

• Like 1