Cultivated Reef

Simplicity 120 skimmer

mtmurphy85

As the title states I'm looking at getting a simplicity 120 skimmer as a replacement to my skimz sn123, does anyone own one ? If so thoughts on it ? Or am I just better off with a bubble magus curve 5

• 3 weeks later...

Why are you replacing your Skimz?

I have a Simplicity 120 DC skimmer, but it's on my cycling tank. My tank is cycling with dead rock/sand and is dosed with ammonium chloride, so there isn't much to skim. So far the pump is not as silent as I thought it was going to be, but it's only week 3. I've turned the pump speed all the way down because the skimmer isn't skimming anything. I can't get the bubbles to go past the waterline in the skimmer body over 1". It's strange.

Nobody thinks it's out of the ordinary, and keep telling me to just finish cycling the tank and once I add stuff it'll start skimming. I'm going to do that but I'm wondering if I'm probably going to end up replacing it. I might have a dud.

I'm currently using a Skimz QuietPro 4.0 and 2.0 pumps for my return and reactor/chiller pump. They are LOUD. I'm replacing them with Reef Octopus VarioS S-4 and S-2 pumps, which should be here any day now from BRS and I'm thinking will be much quieter. Even at 50%, the QuietPro 4.0 reads 55 decibels.

Long story short, once I get quieter pumps, I'm going to measure my skimmer pump. And then most likely going to swap it out for something like the NYOS.

Looking for something different plus I don't thijnk I am for the simple fact that the food print is smaller than the simplicity or bubble magus, plus I might add a innovative marine all in one for gfo or just keep up with no3p04x

• 2 weeks later...

Updates, my Simplicity 120 is finally getting the water level to the cup. Still not enough junk in the tank to skim.

I replaced my Skimz pumps with Reef Octopus VarioS-4 and VarioS-2. It's incredibly quiet now (46 decibels) with both pumps running. The Simplicity skimmer is loud. It's at 62 decibels by itself. Crazy.

I've been working with their customer support, which is really awesome by the way, to troubleshoot to see if I have a defective pump. I'm waiting on a new impeller to see if that will help. I'll get it Friday and be able to try to measure the sound this weekend. If it's still loud, maybe they'll send me a replacement pump?

At the end of the day, I think if this is the normal noise, it's way too noisy for a DC powered skimmer. I'm crossing my fingers it's just my copy.

I had another member measure their NYOS Quantum 120 for sound, and they got 59 decibels. Not silent, but still much better than the Simplicity.