ReefCleaners.org

Harlequin Crab (lissocarcenus laevis)

TheRope

20170909_182600.thumb.jpg.07c9fc62072cd35bf1d7c77316f900a7.jpgHello everyone, 

I decided it was time to add an invert into my pico tank, and i really wanted to get a porcelain crab. I heard they were very passive and wouldnt harm my corals whatsoever.

So i payed a visit to my local reefing store and asked if they had any. They had the regular porcelains (which i was sold on) then they said they had "ultra porcellain crabs" which being frantically excited about purchasing my first crab led me to making a mistake. That mistake was believing that ultra porcellain crabs are a real thing, and that i didnt stick to my original plan, all because i was distracted on how besutiful the coloration of this "ultra was". So here i am with my Harlequin swimming crab, walkin around and digging in my tank, getting awfully close to my zoas, and he seems to be picking up chunks of sand and putting it to his mouth, so im confused or if hes trying to sift through algae or if hes plotting to eat my zoas. Either way i regret buying this little guy, as beautiful as he is, i cherish my corals more (and i have a shipment of 3 frags coming in 3 days from now so im panicking.

Anyways point is, if any of you have a description on what these guys eat, their behaviour, and any other useful info. Im taking whatever i can get, until i can get rid of him or identify if he is indeed reef safe. 

Here are some pics of mine and a picture link for clearer view. 

And a link : crab-lissocarcinus-laevis-under-tube-ane

Screenshot_2017-09-09-19-03-18.png

Screenshot_2017-09-09-19-03-02.png

• Like 1

Update! Did my weekly water change, so far it looks like hes a sand dweller and does not climb up on the rocks, so I raised my zoas up (since theyre still frags) and he seems to have found a quiet resting spot, where he dug himself into the sand (only deep enough to submerge his ventral section as well as his legs. Seems to also be sifting through the sand, and grabbing some particles from the water column as well. 

These crabs can swim, so he can indeed swim to the top of your rocks if he feels like it or anywhere he wants really.

They are opportunistic, he may sample your corals at some point and decide they are tasty or he may not do too much damage. I would try and keep him fed.

This is a great video of one swimming in the beginning, pretty cool! I was thinking about getting one of these but I would be okay if he ate corals. :P

Yup he went flying right up the second i put him in, i actually got it on video. But so far he doesnt seem to care much about climbing, just sifting through the sand. 

What do you recommend feeding them? Mysis shrimp? (Also how often?)

Thank you bte ?

Well i managed to trade him back in for what i wanted originally (porcelain crab) heres a picture!  Though id really like to continue this thread in case others purchase harlequin crabs, as there really isnt very many articles on them on the web! So whoever has em post your experience to assist those who would like to begin keeping them as well! 

IMG_20170910_130709_237.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You dont need an anemone, they will be fine as long as they dont have predators, they get about 1.5 cm is say between 35-70$ depending if they know what they are or not