Innovative Marine Aquariums

Another "what's wrong with my torch" thread!

henningero

So, one of the heads of my torch is suddenly staying retracted, and it looks like the flesh is "swollen", for lack of a better term.

Nothing new has been done to the tank, with 0 ammonia and Nitrites, 15 nitrates, and a PH averaging around 8.1. I don't measure ALK or Calcium.

Any ideas, or has anyone seen this before? Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the blue pic, my lights are ramping down.

IMG_20170909_183447.jpg

Torches not my specialty. I hate to see threads not answered yet and I'm bored. 

I'm assuming torches are close to the same "wavelength" as hammers and frogspawn. Only being 9 weeks in, I see my hammer and froggie go thru phases for a day or two and then come right back to normal. 

Has it been retracted for any long period of time? Is something new swimming on top of it and annoying it? New direction of the tank flow?

These are things that will annoy and retract my hammer/frogs.  They will sprout right back up if I solve those problems or once it gets used to the new things.  Day or two. 

Not the best answer but my coral seem to be really temperamental, if I solve the usual water, placement, lighting, or spotting a cuc to close, it tends to fix the problem. 

Since it's lower in your tank, may be it. IDK but I've had that slight placement effect a hammer. So miniscule that I was like... Come on. Moved it back to the original spot.... I'm talking inches, opened up and is great. Guessing that is where it split? Still doesn't mean it's happy there. 

I would twist the rock, see if the original isn't happy then and the other perks up. I apologize this may be a bit generic or whatever but usually the simplest things fix the majority of my problems right now 

Thanks for the reply. I know we can't be certain with these animals what they like and don't like. A few months ago this was bleaching, so I moved it to the sandbed. The color started to return, but I wasn't getting as much extension. Now this is happening. I'm not sure what to do, but I will try fiddling with the placement a little. Thanks again for the try!

2 minutes ago, henningero said:

Thanks for the reply. I know we can't be certain with these animals what they like and don't like. A few months ago this was bleaching, so I moved it to the sandbed. The color started to return, but I wasn't getting as much extension. Now this is happening. I'm not sure what to do, but I will try fiddling with the placement a little. Thanks again for the try!

Grats on the bringing it back.

That is totally how I meant my posts, a try. 

Thanks again Mark. I'm still curious if anybody has seen this before? Whatever's on this head is very puffy and actually waves with the current and is covering the entire head. I've been googling images and can't find any that look like this.