Coral Vue Hydros

MP10 vs Chinese 525g/hr pumps

toddseimer

I'm in the process of setting up a tank and have heard good things about the MP10 improving coral growth and livestock happiness but am wondering if anyone can comment on this compared to non-wavemaking pumps with similar flow? I have a 20g long and currently have two of these. I'll also have a HOB skimmer on the tank, maybe a HOB filter running purigen and no sump. I'm just really curious if the vortech's with their fancy settings improve coral growth?

51 minutes ago, toddseimer said:

I'm in the process of setting up a tank and have heard good things about the MP10 improving coral growth and livestock happiness but am wondering if anyone can comment on this compared to non-wavemaking pumps with similar flow? I have a 20g long and currently have two of these. I'll also have a HOB skimmer on the tank, maybe a HOB filter running purigen and no sump. I'm just really curious if the vortech's with their fancy settings improve coral growth?

Vortechs are popular b/c there are no cords in the tank.  Nothing with their flow that is going to promote more growth than a much cheaper PH.

Vortech or any other controllable wave maker creates current inside your tank to mimic the flow of the ocean. The oscillating movements, surging back and forth, gyre effects etc etc. This all promotes growth in all corals. The wave action also helps to agitate settled detritus and suspend them in the water so your mechanical filtration can filter them out.

General powerheads inside the tank provide a constant current of water movement and doesnt provide any controllability, pointing them at each other would create a somewhat random chaotic flow so it isnt too linear. It would still work, and have seen beautiful tanks with just powerheads, but theres only so much you can do with them. It all depends how much your willing to spend. 

Another option is you can get those inexpensive jebao units that almost does what the vortechs do.