ReefCleaners.org

Microbacter7 = ammonia + stuff?

dandelion

Anyone who has read my previous thread regarding my stalled cycle should remember I tested microbacter7 for ammonia with my API kit. Results were surprisingly high in ammonia. I just bought a different ammonia test kit and first thing I did was to confirm the results. For comparison I've attached test results of 0ppm control (second picture left-most) and newly dosed water 5ppm (second picture right-most)

7NRhBw.jpg

TLgvQt.jpg

"newly dosed water" Are you testing your tanks ammonia level after dosing it? Or mixing a little bit of water with it and testing? 

And the "stuff" has been confirmed to be dormant bacteria. 

8 hours ago, xthunt said:

"newly dosed water" Are you testing your tanks ammonia level after dosing it? Or mixing a little bit of water with it and testing? 

And the "stuff" has been confirmed to be dormant bacteria. 

Level of tank after dosing to about 5ppm.

I didn't know there has been a confirmation on what it contained. Did someone do a gram stain/culture etc?

4 hours ago, dandelion said:

Level of tank after dosing to about 5ppm.

I didn't know there has been a confirmation on what it contained. Did someone do a gram stain/culture etc?

Some YouTube video I came across. Can't remember which exactly, but he put it in sterile tanks and took samples after x amount of time, something like that. Been a while. 

Oh, so you dosed ammonia to tank to get it to 5ppm? I guess I missed the context of the last thread. 

many cycling bac cultures are packed in with raw ammonia, up to 12 ppm we see here in this study. does this tie into what you are wanting to state about those levels?

*still looking lol its about a decade old now. Ive referenced it before in several threads years ago, takes some time. Its specifically this: a peer reviewed article using DNA studies and analyzing the bacteria within a few common retail options. some were dormancy packed...low feed content, and takes time for the bac to wake up upon tank addition/given the presence of feed.

some were active and feed packed. shorter shelf life, quicker acting, packed in feed as high as 12 ppm ammonia. its out there ill find eventually lol

On 9/6/2017 at 1:50 PM, brandon429 said:

many cycling bac cultures are packed in with raw ammonia, up to 12 ppm we see here in this study. does this tie into what you are wanting to state about those levels?

*still looking lol its about a decade old now. Ive referenced it before in several threads years ago, takes some time. Its specifically this: a peer reviewed article using DNA studies and analyzing the bacteria within a few common retail options. some were dormancy packed...low feed content, and takes time for the bac to wake up upon tank addition/given the presence of feed.

some were active and feed packed. shorter shelf life, quicker acting, packed in feed as high as 12 ppm ammonia. its out there ill find eventually lol

If the ammonia is the "lure" to wake the bacteria up, why wouldn't the bacteria wake up already when in the bottle? Why wouldn't they have chewed up all that ammonia already?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, dandelion said:

If the ammonia is the "lure" to wake the bacteria up, why wouldn't the bacteria wake up already when in the bottle? Why wouldn't they have chewed up all that ammonia already?

Maybe they did. Maybe they ran out of food and started to die and generated the more and maybe they eating it now? Maybe?