Pod Your Reef

Opinions on starry blenny in a 13.5 tank

Minmay

Hi all, so starry blenny's can get up to 5 1/2 inches. My LFS doesnt recommend this fish in my tank. Even if it's the only fish. What's your opinion? Im trying to think of a fish with loads of personality for my blasto tank. Thank u. 

Starry blennies are large, active fish. I've had several over the years and from my experience with them, they would definitely be cramped in a small tank. If you'd like a blenny, I'd recommend a tailspot blenny or a bicolor blenny. Both of those are much smaller.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Starry blennies are large, active fish. I've had several over the years and from my experience with them, they would definitely be cramped in a small tank. If you'd like a blenny, I'd recommend a tailspot blenny or a bicolor blenny. Both of those are much smaller.

Thank you very much. I'll look into those two.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, gena said:

Two spot blenny :wub:.  Something different that not everyone has.  I agree, the starry blenny gets large.  Too large for your tank.

Thank you! I'll try to find a nice one. I think the next tank will be a 30g long but it wont be til couple years from now. 13.5 just isnt enough options for nice fish

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Thank you! I'll try to find a nice one. I think the next tank will be a 30g long but it wont be til couple years from now. 13.5 just isnt enough options for nice fish

I'm in the process of planning the fish stocking for my new IM 14 tank (almost the same size and dimensions as yours) and while they are many fish that are too big, there are a ton of Nano fish that are fun. Any of the ocellaris or percula clownfish are a good option. Also, most of the gobies are great fish. There are the shrimp gobies which burrow in the sand and form symbiotic relationships with pistol shrimp. There are also the clown gobies, the neon blue and yellow gobies, green banded gobies etc. I've had many of these fish myself over the years and a ton of people here on NR have them and they are all fun, personable fish. The small blennies such as the tail spot and the bicolor also have a ton of personality and are fun to watch. Other fun options for small tanks are the small wrasses (pink streaked, 6-line, possum, etc), firefish (Orange, purple, helfrici), and royal grammas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Felicia said:

I'm in the process of planning the fish stocking for my new IM 14 tank (almost the same size and dimensions as yours) and while they are many fish that are too big, there are a ton of Nano fish that are fun. Any of the ocellaris or percula clownfish are a good option. Also, most of the gobies are great fish. There are the shrimp gobies which burrow in the sand and form symbiotic relationships with pistol shrimp. There are also the clown gobies, the neon blue and yellow gobies, green banded gobies etc. I've had many of these fish myself over the years and a ton of people here on NR have them and they are all fun, personable fish. The small blennies such as the tail spot and the bicolor also have a ton of personality and are fun to watch. Other fun options for small tanks are the small wrasses (pink streaked, 6-line, possum, etc), firefish (Orange, purple, helfrici), and royal grammas.

Yes, I currently have in my other 13.5 tank a designer clown, goby and pistop shrimp that dont like each other lol, and hector and a cleaner shrimp. I was trying to get a fish i dont have but have tons of personality. 

• Like 1

I think one of the small blennies would be perfect for you.  They all have a ton of personality.  It's those eyes :).  Bi-color have been known to nip coral though.  Had it happen to me and seen others mention it too.  I'd go for a tailspot or two spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, gena said:

I think one of the small blennies would be perfect for you.  They all have a ton of personality.  It's those eyes :).  Bi-color have been known to nip coral though.  Had it happen to me and seen others mention it too.  I'd go for a tailspot or two spot.

Okie dokie. Thanks everyone for your input. It really helps. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I really like the Pictus blenny but they are uncommon so you would have to stalk Diver's Den for awhile. They have beautiful "spots" sort of like a starry but are small. Might take you a few months to find one though.

http://www.qualitymarine.com/Products/Fish/Wild/Blennies/Ecsenius-pictus/Pictus

Wow!! That blenny is cool! Thanks. Imma have to hunt this one down!