ReefCleaners.org

Is this cyanobacteria?

Horsey_Cat

7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

correct

Well Ive never had cyanobacteria before so this is new to me. Can you use peroxide to kill it? Does anything eat is naturally? 

Thrassian Atoll
2 minutes ago, Horsey_Cat said:

Well Ive never had cyanobacteria before so this is new to me. Can you use peroxide to kill it? Does anything eat is naturally? 

Your going to have to do a lot of research on this to see what method you want to try and use.  Some people do lights out for days, decrease phosphate, increase flow.  I don't think anything eats it.

3 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Your going to have to do a lot of research on this to see what method you want to try and use.  Some people do lights out for days, decrease phosphate, increase flow.  I don't think anything eats it.

I take it this is a pretty bad algae to have

Thrassian Atoll
3 minutes ago, Horsey_Cat said:

I take it this is a pretty bad algae to have

It's hit or miss.  Some people are able to get rid of it fairly easy, some people have a really hard time.   I would say it's better to do whatever you need to do to get rid of it now though before it completely takes over.

I recently had a bad time with a cyanobacteria outbreak. Personally, i'd recommend to minimize the time your tank lights are on, and make sure you aren't overfeeding. It's also important that you have a good flow in your tank.