Coral Vue Hydros

Barton's 20g *retired*

mbarton2010

So I found this 20g High that someone was tossing. It's super clean and looks like it was never actually set up. Not sure what I want to do with it but I'm going to get it going soon. I ordered an AI Prime HD and I think I might drill it out for a 10g sump soon. I actually have a 15g cube that was an AIO but the false wall came unglued after 7 years. Might use that. Going to build a stand for it probably tomorrow. 

IMG_0657.JPG

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Nice score!  What kind of stuff do you like?  Heavy SPS?  Something you've never tried before?  RFA gardens are popular on here. :)

I do like sps a lot. I'm in the planning stages now. I'm sketching a stand inn goin to build tomorrow. Not the best drawing skills or handwriting lol 

image.jpg

42 minutes ago, mbarton2010 said:

I do like sps a lot. I'm in the planning stages now. I'm sketching a stand inn goin to build tomorrow. Not the best drawing skills or handwriting lol 

image.jpg

Haha I get the picture, it's hard to draw 3-D.  Gonna be an open stand, or skin it?  Maybe you could have like "acro island" and a section for montis, or just mix it all together.

8 minutes ago, mbarton2010 said:

What size bulkheads should I use for this? 1/2" or 3/4"?? And two drains or one? I've never had a drilled tank before

No idea, I know nothing about drilling lol.  Hopefully someone knowledgeable can chime in!

• Haha 1

If you are willing to spend 199 on a sump might as well spend a few hundred more on a already drilled tank with a overflow already built in. By the time you drill that tank and buy a overflow and drill bits and bulk heads etc might as well just buy a reef ready tank. That's just my 2 cents worth. That's a nice sump!!!

• Like 1
Just now, Lawnman said:

If you are willing to spend 199 on a sump might as well spend a few hundred more on a already drilled tank with a overflow already built in. By the time you drill that tank and buy a overflow and drill bits and bulk heads etc might as well just buy a reef ready tank. That's just my 2 cents worth. That's a nice sump!!!

Got the tank for free and my brother bought the sump for my birthday!

• Like 3

So thanks to some great family, this will no longer be a budget build. 

Current setup cost: $563

AI Prime: $225

Tank: Free

Eshopps Cube nano sump: $200

Eshopps Eclipse Small Overflow kit :$100

Return Nozzle: $8

DIY Stand: ~$30

Purchases to be made

Icecap K2-50 skimmer: $130

Return Pump: ~$40

DIY Mesh Lid :$??

• Like 3
Just now, Orangutran said:

Am I the only one that sees the stand is missing a few supports? Right now the weight is on the screws! Although being only 20 gal it should be fine...

It's actually on the legs too. It's all flush so the load is spread out. 

I'm gonna put a foam pad under it too so that will help too

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mbarton2010 said:

It's actually on the legs too. It's all flush so the load is spread out. 

I'm gonna put a foam pad under it too so that will help too

Cool, I'm far from being an expert stand builder, just wanted to point it out. I kinda like your stand drawing actually, it looks like abstract art! lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1