inTank Media Baskets

Urchin injury

GunslingerGirl

GunslingerGirl

So this is a new one to me...

My ahole hermit (I assume) caused a rock slide last night. Apparently the urchin was under it. He now has a chunk of his exoskeleton missing. About a sixth-fifth of it to be exact. Like I can see inside of him.

I would move him to the AC, but there is a rock crab in there... and I obviously would like it if he could make it.. but idk this is a little extreme.

He is moving, eating, and doing his thing.

Should I poke some holes in a plastic tub and shove him in there with some gracilaria?

Anybody ever dealt with this?

it might of been the urchin that shifted the rocks. they r pretty strong. I would guess the urchin before I would think its a hermit that shift the rocks.

if the urchin is still moving around the tank and eating then Id just leave it be and let nature take its course.  if u know for sure its dead then id remove it from the tank.

Yikes, how big is the hole? I had a snail that I could see the insides of (my urchin was the cause actually) so I put epoxy over the hole and the snail survived. Not sure if that would work with an urchin though with the spines and what not.

GunslingerGirl
6 minutes ago, reefone said:

it might of been the urchin that shifted the rocks. they r pretty strong. I would guess the urchin before I would think its a hermit that shift the rocks.

if the urchin is still moving around the tank and eating then Id just leave it be and let nature take its course.  if u know for sure its dead then id remove it from the tank.

Urchin in under an inch. Hermit is like three. LOL it's not a reef safe standard blue hermit.

3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Yikes, how big is the hole? I had a snail that I could see the insides of (my urchin was the cause actually) so I put epoxy over the hole and the snail survived. Not sure if that would work with an urchin though with the spines and what not.

Quarter of an inch- third of an inch maybe? I mean I can see inside him.

He is retreating into the rock work... so hopefully not going to die in some dark hole. I tried giving him a few pellets and he started running from me...

Probably not a good sign. :(

Well his chunk of shell is still moving... that's creepy.

• Wow 1
GunslingerGirl
2 minutes ago, reefone said:

lol. I was thinking the other way around. let us know what u decide to do and how its turns out.

Yea no this is a baby urchin..

I'll keep documenting.

I don't really expect him to make it. I tried epoxying his hole.. but his shell started to look like it was going to crack from my touch. So I stopped.

Hopefully he'll eat and just keep fighting.

GunslingerGirl

Ok so update:

Urchin is still crawling around.

His cavity has filled with a red substance. Not sure if its self-produced or an infection of some kind. I can no longer see his inner workings.

Thought he was dead so I put him on top of the tank outside the water and he started squirming... whoops.

The journey continues...