inTank Media Baskets

Lynton

Hello from cider making country sunny Gloucester in the UK, I've been  lurking on a few forums for awhile and watched from a far and after 2 years after getting a reefer 170 and moving serveral times I thought it's time to finally get it up and running and see if I can keep it going long enough to get it looking as good some the tanks on the forum.  I've only been in the hobby 2 years so class myself as a "newbie" so any help/suggestions with the tank would be great

my wish for this reefer 170 is to be mostly SPS with a few LPS for flow and movement, looking at a monti dominated tank with chalices growing on bare bottom and maybe a hammer coral here and there. The tanks been up since May 2017 

EQUIPMENT

Reefer 170

Radion XR 30

Ehiem 300 return pump

2 X jebao wp10

Titanium heater with controller

Bubble magus curve 5

Micro Smart ATO 

STOCKING

2 x Picasso  clown fish

1x black/white cardinal

1x coral beauty

1x blue tuxedo urcin

1x massive blue legged hermit crab (big Dave)

2 x Halloween crabs

10/15 x trohcus snails

CORALS

pink birdsnest

red monti cap

green monti cap

red digital monti

IMG_0867.JPG

original.jpg

original.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lynton said:

Hello from cider making country sunny Gloucester in the UK, I've been  lurking on a few forums for awhile and watched from a far and after 2 years after getting a reefer 170 and moving serveral times I thought it's time to finally get it up and running and see if I can keep it going long enough to get it looking as good some the tanks on the forum.  I've only been in the hobby 2 years so class myself as a "newbie" so any help/suggestions with the tank would be great

my wish for this reefer 170 is to be mostly SPS with a few LPS for flow and movement, looking at a monti dominated tank with chalices growing on bare bottom and maybe a hammer coral here and there. The tanks been up since May 2017 

EQUIPMENT

Reefer 170

Radion XR 30

Ehiem 300 return pump

2 X jebao wp10

Titanium heater with controller

Bubble magus curve 5

Micr Smart ATO 

STOCKING

2 xPicasso clown fish

1x black/white cardinal

1x coral beauty

1x blue tuxedo urcin

1x massive blue legged hermit crab (big Dave)

2 x Halloween crabs

10/15 x trohcus snails

CORALS

pink birdsnest

red monti cap

green monti cap

red digital monti

IMG_0867.JPG

original.jpg

original.jpg

I like it!  Now, I'm gonna need a pic of Big Dave. :)

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I like it!  Now, I'm gonna need a pic of Big Dave. :)

Haha Thanks, big Dave charges for pics ? But will def try when he comes out from hiding

• Like 2

A few other tank members, have two clowns but wifey here won't let hubby get anywhere near me whilst I'm at the tank as she thinks it's feeding time..

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, Lynton said:

@WV Reefer big Dave in all his glory... not god pic with iPad but it's all I got at mo.

IMG_0903.JPG

Big Dave!! 

34 minutes ago, Lynton said:

A few other tank members, have two clowns but wifey here won't let hubby get anywhere near me whilst I'm at the tank as she thinks it's feeding time..

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

I like the angel. .... How does it get on with everyone else?

She's new to the tank, been in 3 weeks now and (knock on wood) everyone's playing ball, but wifey the clown fish is really the boss of the tank tbh but again (knock on wood) I havent seen any fighting, but I have caught coral beauty nipping at my birdsnest ?... not sure cuz it RTN that she thinks it's easy pickings.. will keep an eye tho.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lynton said:

She's new to the tank, been in 3 weeks now and (knock on wood) everyone's playing ball, but wifey the clown fish is really the boss of the tank tbh but again (knock on wood) I havent seen any fighting, but I have caught coral beauty nipping at my birdsnest ?... not sure cuz it RTN that she thinks it's easy pickings.. will keep an eye tho.

I really want an angel in my 75..... they are usually *ssholes but I love them any way. 

Hopefully she doesn't munch all your stuff!  fingerscrossed

Yea I read up on them before I bought her and was taking a chance specially with sps, I got her as she's small, smaller than my female clown so was thinking she would be a model citizen around her, I'm feeding everyday now so I'm hoping that will keep her full instead ??

• Like 2

I'm glad you started a tank thread - welcome to your tank on N-R! :welcome:

I like the look you're going for, I think it may turn out really nice if you select some corals that like low light to live in the shade of the big rocks. And I'm with @WV Reefer, Big Dave is awesome!

As far as the coral beauty goes, when I answered your question in my thread I missed that your birdsnest is suffering from RTN. It could be that he wouldn't bother a healthy coral - he may just be picking at the parts that are dying, or even picking at whatever is making it RTN. Of course, that's not to say that now that's he learned that SPS is tasty that he won't go after other ones. But he's really pretty so I hope he reforms :)

• Like 1
On 06/09/2017 at 5:18 AM, teenyreef said:

I'm glad you started a tank thread - welcome to your tank on N-R! :welcome:

I like the look you're going for, I think it may turn out really nice if you select some corals that like low light to live in the shade of the big rocks. And I'm with @WV Reefer, Big Dave is awesome!

As far as the coral beauty goes, when I answered your question in my thread I missed that your birdsnest is suffering from RTN. It could be that he wouldn't bother a healthy coral - he may just be picking at the parts that are dying, or even picking at whatever is making it RTN. Of course, that's not to say that now that's he learned that SPS is tasty that he won't go after other ones. But he's really pretty so I hope he reforms :)

Well had to frag the birds nest, I've got 4 frags from it so hopefully they all pull through and the coral beauty doesn't fancy a snack!! ? Did 10% water change also as not done one for 2 weeks tut tut and corals weren't looking to happy.. here a few iPad  pics. Bought a some new frags but they lost some colour after a dettol dip... got a chalice and an acro that can't remember the name off, I also got a red monti cap and a  sunset monti so hopefully they recover quickly to add some more colour to the tank.

really debating about adding sand now as I really like the look of a rock flower anemone?? ? 

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

Tank is ticking over nicely after just coming back from a week away was a little worried as you do, had a friend come round and feed the fish and keep an eye on things. All looks ok, need to do a water change today before I start dosing and cutting out water changes.

I made another smaller shelf as want more estate for more corals, as went to LFS to get some more frags came home with:

Green fiji acro (unsure)

Purple hammer

Rainbow digi

Rainbow monti

pics don’t really do them justice but wifey won’t let me get a DSLR so iPad will have to do for now.

:P

6EB23304-AC27-404A-9256-64627DB39F1A.jpeg

466CDCD5-70FA-4D6B-92E9-809A0CC8E4EF.jpeg

463291AE-2974-4CEA-949C-E15123E5831D.jpeg

F0690617-7AE6-4740-AFDC-517C415C5A9B.jpeg

07F2E7B4-7545-440E-BF67-CED3F8FC7E1C.jpeg

FF306560-063B-42F5-8FEE-A580D5E4A31B.jpeg

22CBC5A7-E257-45F9-B50D-A1FDA2B60788.jpeg

00A2E34E-23A9-4C74-825E-91D0F3A6A174.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...