inTank Media Baskets

Whats up, I am starting a thread to document my 4.7 gallon Pico reef build. I have kept a few  reef tanks for about 2 years now. I have kept aquariums for about 18 years now.  

Why I choose such a small tank?

I am going to school, I live in an apartment that only allows up to a 10 gallon tank. I have also kept nano reefs in the past. I got inspired buy some tanks I found on this forum and on the internet that look amazing. I find it crazy how you can create a whole underwater world in just few gallons of water.

The Tank

• 4.7 gallon all glass aquarium from Petco only cost $50 that has an all-in-one filter, and a led light that can grow low light corals!
  • The tank came with a pump that was only 44 gph I upgraded it to a 130 gph pump that I turned all the way down.
  • I have kept all the original filtration and media (for now)

Lighting

• The original lighting and ABI par38 blue tuna light blub that I bought off amazon.

Live stock

Has of 9/3/2017

• 2 margarita snail
  • 2 Hawaiian Zebra hermit crabs
  • 1 peppermint shrimp

2017-09-01 08.30.36.jpg

2017-08-23 17.50.57.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice!  I love picos.  I like the way the scape appears to swoop around in the front.  Be aware that margaritas are colder water snails so they may not last long, and sometimes zebra hermits can be little jerks lol. :lol:

4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Very nice!  I love picos.  I like the way the scape appears to swoop around in the front.  Be aware that margaritas are colder water snails so they may not last long, and sometimes zebra hermits can be little jerks lol. :lol:

I have heard that. what sucks my tank runs warm like 82 degrees when the lights are on. but its all that my lfs had. I am hoping to get more snails to control algae when I start adding more in the tank!

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, saltnoob97 said:

I have heard that. what sucks my tank runs warm like 82 degrees when the lights are on. but its all that my lfs had. I am hoping to get more snails to control algae when I start adding more in the tank!

Look into ReefCleaners.  From what I paid for 3 snails at the LFS the other day, it'll be cheaper by far to stock even a pico from ReefCleaners lol.  I did find a bunch of baby blue leg hermits in my dwarf ceriths the first time so the second time I requested no hermits and he delivered!

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Look into ReefCleaners.  From what I paid for 3 snails at the LFS the other day, it'll be cheaper by far to stock even a pico from ReefCleaners lol.  I did find a bunch of baby blue leg hermits in my dwarf ceriths the first time so the second time I requested no hermits and he delivered!

I have used them before. I should have thought about that before I went and spent a lot more than I should on few snails that would probably not last that long.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Friendly said:

you could use a fan on the the water surface to help with cooling. just keep in mind it will accelerate evaporation as well. 

use a desk fan or one of those clip on ones?