Cultivated Reef

701 Classroom Tank

701@BankStreet

Christopher Marks
On 9/10/2018 at 1:48 PM, 701@BankStreet said:

Well - back to school! The tank managed to survive the summer. I was away for a full 6 weeks, during which time auto feeders, top off, and friends cared for the tank. Needless to say I returned to an algae ridden mess!

A lot of algae pulling and water changing and things are starting to look better. However one of my nems isn't happy at all. I'm hoping that a bunch of water changes and maybe a light feeding will help it out.

The little nem is fine, my pulsing Xenia has spread a bunch, and the four fish (2x true percs, a flame angel, and a lawn mower blenny) are all in good shape. 

So we'll what this year brings! A few new corals but probably this is a year of quiet growth and responsible maintenance.

IMG_20180905_123852.jpg

Great to see the classroom nano reef made it through the summer and all the fish are well! You'll be able to get the rest back on track in no time. 🙂

Welcome back, hopefully you had a nice summer break!

• 1 month later...
701@BankStreet

Things are looking much better. Slow and steady, water changes, a bit of 3 day black out with garbage bags to kill algae, etc.

But basically everything looks pretty decent - I want to add more coral, maybe a Duncan, something like a frogspawn or a hammer. Lps and softies.

IMG_20181022_123750.jpg

IMG_20181022_123742.jpg

IMG_20181022_123747.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
701@BankStreet

To anyone watching this thread - I need to buy a protein skimmer. My remora (I have the nano and the larger model) won't fit underneath the cabinent (there is a shelf above the tank - there isn't enough headroom for the remora) so I'm thinking I need something like the hydor slim skim or the tunze 9001. Can anyone offer me some real world experience/advice re: in tank skimmers? The surface scum is pretty bad and I'm not also great about changing the water on time. The skimmer would serve as a bit of a stop gap measure.

As I write this I am thinking about the aquarium advice I gave to a friend recently - don't buy things, instead change how you care for your tank, as a result feeling a bit silly!

• Like 1