SaltCritters.com

701 Classroom Tank

701@BankStreet

On 9/25/2017 at 11:50 AM, 701@BankStreet said:

Tank made it through the weekend - no leaks - all looks well. I had just piled the rocks in on Friday, it was too cloudy to really see what was up. I'm going to switch things up this afternoon when the class is in Gym. I also need to get a HOB filter from somewhere (I'm sure I can find one somewhere) to start filtering out all the dusty stuff that is stuck to the rock. I don't want to run a filter all the time though - I don't want the noise.

IMG_20170925_090310_full.jpg

I have read your thread to this point,  kudoes to you for demonstrating an ecosystem that is in dynamic equilibrium.  Chemistry, micro biology and physics all happen in the rectangular confines of the tank and more importantly at the air water interface, the surface.

I will continue reading thread.  If I put my foot in my mouth, it would not be the first time.

701@BankStreet

I'm their math and science teacher - it is 8th grade, which in our school is 13 and 14 year olds.  (Pretty typical in the US). The tank is not part of a specific curriculum. However, there is a lot of basic tank chemistry such as ratio/proportion and solubility which are already components of the existing algebra and physical science curriculum. There is some opportunity for mathematical modeling (experimentally deriving equations that describe how different variables fluctuate over time), etc. 

The science ideas are more conceptual - biology/ecology is more of a systems science in that changes to any one variable impact other variables. So the reef is a good model for that. I think I'm going to go tomorrow afternoon to the spot I like in NYC - its called "The Reef Shoppe," and it is affordable! Otherwise, NYC doesn't have tons of shops anymore - there is one in Manhattan, a few out in queens, and a few across the George Washington Bridge in NJ. 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

I've been enjoying following along so far, welcome to the community @701@BankStreet!

My early interest in aquariums lead to me helping my 6th grade science teacher set up a 40 gallon freshwater aquarium in her classroom. I continued to check in on it as the years went by, she continued to move it home each summer break. By 10th grade my interest in saltwater aquariums lead to the creation of this very website :) 

• Like 6
701@BankStreet
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I've been enjoying following along so far, welcome to the community

Thanks so much for the welcome - I've always been into aquariums since I was a little kid and I got my first saltwater tank when I was 25 or so. I had two saltwater tanks for the past few years - including a 12 gallon aquapod in my classroom for the past 7 years.

When I was hired at the school where I teach I had a mentor (who has since passed away). I thought he was crazy for maintaining several different (very simple) saltwater tanks around the building. But, now, almost ten years later, I can understand why he thought saltwater was worth the time and effort over fresh, especially for students. 

• Like 3
701@BankStreet

Added a bangaii cardinal and a gsp. Things are looking great in the tank - here's a pic if drip acclimation.

IMG_20171002_164301.jpg

And to help provide context (that's my daughter in the back):

PANO_20171002_164317.jpg

• Like 5

I like your open aquascaping.  The three island provide cover for the inhabitants that need it.    The big open space allows for good circulation as well as diether fish that stay in the open to over come shyness in other fish.  Fish phychology has got to be a science.  

Kudoes to the conceptual of ecosystems understanding.  Nothing happens in a vacumn.  Everything should be looked at from the holistic point of view.  Researches have coiined the term "coral holobiont".  They documented cross talk between coral and cynobacteria.   By using schewed  bacteria populations from oxygen producing to oxygen consuming bacteria they foretold the coral reef decline to a macro reef.  At present, I am just reading Steve Tyree book about crptic zones with sponges and sea squirts completing the four main food webs.   there is a great chart on one of the post If you are interested, I can send to you.

Happy reefing.  It could be adicting. 

th

• Like 1

Karim,

Good post. Myself. My body feels good after eating fish. Bad after eating a big bag of Fritos. So I eat more fish then Fritos lol.

Gonna try to post an image of one of the figures in my CMAT Volume 2 book. Shows the basic exchanges going on in the Sponge Loop. Now this is a cheesy camera pic of the figure printed out and hanging on my wall. Best I can do right now.

spongeloop.jpg 

• 4 weeks later...
701@BankStreet

Thought I'd update since it had been a while.  Tank is doing well - we still have just our one Bangaii Cardinal. For the past few days, I had the tank blacked out, dealing with an algae problem... Seems to have been pretty effective. I've been doing water changes throughout the week as well - I'm hoping that the one-two punch of water change and light deprivation will knock the algae out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for skimmer/filter/reactor options for in-tank use? I own both the nano and full size remora and both are too tall to fit on the tank (I have the back underneath a cabinent. 

What I love about the remora is that you can fit the heater in the body of the skimmer, you can put a bag of chemipure in the intake of the over flow box, and you get the skimming. Are there any options that are designed such that you can add at least the chemipure type product?

Tomorrow I'm heading to the reef shoppe in the afternoon. I think some clowns are in order!

• Like 2
701@BankStreet

I should add that I'm thinking about the tunze 9001 or about the glass column/airstone skimmer (available now on marine depot) regardless, Its running some sort of media that I'm trying to come up with a solution to. I know that the current subcurrent filter would be perfect but those aren't sold anymore and it seems that finding a used one is tough. 

• 2 weeks later...

Following along! I've been throwing around the idea of a classroom tank for a little while now so I want to see how some other people go about it. Guy at a lfs looked at me like I was insane!!! Love the 'scape of your tank. Can't wait to see new tank mates!

• 3 weeks later...
701@BankStreet

After some patience, black garbage bags, water changes, and better fish food, we are algae free! And new inhabitants came into the tank. We have two new tomato clowns and an anemone (I think a ritteri). Tank looks great and here are some photos! In early January, the plan is to add one or two more fish (something like a wrasse that will swim the length of the tank and a fish like a goby or a hawkfish - something that will hang around on the bottom). Plus some more softies and some LPS. 

PSX_20171128_142359.thumb.jpg.eafc37b7933cfc78377e452e9965a128.jpg

IMG_20171127_141603.jpg

IMG_20171127_141623.jpg

IMG_20171128_141837.jpg

PSX_20171128_142143.jpg

• Like 1
701@BankStreet

Yeah - we are still in the beginning stages - thanks for the kind words! I need to add some sort of filtration/skimming option. There is a fair amount of surface gunk that isn't getting exported.

• 5 months later...
701@BankStreet

Hi - long time since our last post - we had a lot of trouble with vacations - varying people either unplugging heaters and leaving g the windows open, turning off pumps, etc... All fish died and only one of the rit. nems survived...

But we are in a bit of a reboot right now - new cuc coming Saturday, some plants, some softies, and a fish our two will be purchased.

The kids have been frustrated for sure - waiting through many water changes and tests for me to declare that things are good for new additions. But we are are finally here!

• Like 1
701@BankStreet

Added 200 bio-balls to the hob refugium (that I have repurposed as a large filter) and added a new unit if chemipure elite.

Tomorrow, the CUC comes so I'll head into school and get it from the front desk so that the creatures all survive. 

IMG_20180601_133739.jpg

IMG_20180601_133758.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
701@BankStreet

I'm curious, why the need for added bio-balls?

I don't know - I don't really need them, but I'm kind of light on LR so I figured a bit of extra surface area in the fuge wasn't a bad thing...

Since then, we've added a bit of pulsing xenia (a tiny bit survived what was a pretty bad ebay purchase) a long tentacle nem, a second true perc, and a lawnmower blenny.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Great video update @701@BankStreet, the new anemone and clownfish are a nice addition, it's cool to see both clownfish hosting their own anemones. That bit of xenia will surely spread in no time, glad some survived! Melted xenia smells pretty wretched, was it just poorly packaged/shipped?

• 1 month later...
701@BankStreet

Well - back to school! The tank managed to survive the summer. I was away for a full 6 weeks, during which time auto feeders, top off, and friends cared for the tank. Needless to say I returned to an algae ridden mess!

A lot of algae pulling and water changing and things are starting to look better. However one of my nems isn't happy at all. I'm hoping that a bunch of water changes and maybe a light feeding will help it out.

The little nem is fine, my pulsing Xenia has spread a bunch, and the four fish (2x true percs, a flame angel, and a lawn mower blenny) are all in good shape. 

So we'll what this year brings! A few new corals but probably this is a year of quiet growth and responsible maintenance.

IMG_20180905_123852.jpg

• Like 1
701@BankStreet

Things are looking better, nem is expanding a bit more and just generally looks healthy. Still much smaller than in older pictures but recovery from lack of care is slow!

IMG_20180912_123556.jpg

• Like 1