701@BankStreet

701 Classroom Tank

Subsea   
On 9/25/2017 at 11:50 AM, 701@BankStreet said:

Tank made it through the weekend - no leaks - all looks well. I had just piled the rocks in on Friday, it was too cloudy to really see what was up. I'm going to switch things up this afternoon when the class is in Gym. I also need to get a HOB filter from somewhere (I'm sure I can find one somewhere) to start filtering out all the dusty stuff that is stuck to the rock. I don't want to run a filter all the time though - I don't want the noise.

IMG_20170925_090310_full.jpg

I have read your thread to this point,  kudoes to you for demonstrating an ecosystem that is in dynamic equilibrium.  Chemistry, micro biology and physics all happen in the rectangular confines of the tank and more importantly at the air water interface, the surface.

I will continue reading thread.  If I put my foot in my mouth, it would not be the first time.

Subsea   

Following, I like the program.

What is the course description? 

I'm their math and science teacher - it is 8th grade, which in our school is 13 and 14 year olds.  (Pretty typical in the US). The tank is not part of a specific curriculum. However, there is a lot of basic tank chemistry such as ratio/proportion and solubility which are already components of the existing algebra and physical science curriculum. There is some opportunity for mathematical modeling (experimentally deriving equations that describe how different variables fluctuate over time), etc. 

The science ideas are more conceptual - biology/ecology is more of a systems science in that changes to any one variable impact other variables. So the reef is a good model for that. I think I'm going to go tomorrow afternoon to the spot I like in NYC - its called "The Reef Shoppe," and it is affordable! Otherwise, NYC doesn't have tons of shops anymore - there is one in Manhattan, a few out in queens, and a few across the George Washington Bridge in NJ. 

• Like 1

I've been enjoying following along so far, welcome to the community @701@BankStreet!

My early interest in aquariums lead to me helping my 6th grade science teacher set up a 40 gallon freshwater aquarium in her classroom. I continued to check in on it as the years went by, she continued to move it home each summer break. By 10th grade my interest in saltwater aquariums lead to the creation of this very website :) 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I've been enjoying following along so far, welcome to the community

Thanks so much for the welcome - I've always been into aquariums since I was a little kid and I got my first saltwater tank when I was 25 or so. I had two saltwater tanks for the past few years - including a 12 gallon aquapod in my classroom for the past 7 years.

When I was hired at the school where I teach I had a mentor (who has since passed away). I thought he was crazy for maintaining several different (very simple) saltwater tanks around the building. But, now, almost ten years later, I can understand why he thought saltwater was worth the time and effort over fresh, especially for students. 

• Like 3

Added a bangaii cardinal and a gsp. Things are looking great in the tank - here's a pic if drip acclimation.

IMG_20171002_164301.jpg

And to help provide context (that's my daughter in the back):

PANO_20171002_164317.jpg

• Like 5

Subsea   

I like your open aquascaping.  The three island provide cover for the inhabitants that need it.    The big open space allows for good circulation as well as diether fish that stay in the open to over come shyness in other fish.  Fish phychology has got to be a science.  

Kudoes to the conceptual of ecosystems understanding.  Nothing happens in a vacumn.  Everything should be looked at from the holistic point of view.  Researches have coiined the term "coral holobiont".  They documented cross talk between coral and cynobacteria.   By using schewed  bacteria populations from oxygen producing to oxygen consuming bacteria they foretold the coral reef decline to a macro reef.  At present, I am just reading Steve Tyree book about crptic zones with sponges and sea squirts completing the four main food webs.   there is a great chart on one of the post If you are interested, I can send to you.

Happy reefing.  It could be adicting. 

th

• Like 1

Subsea   

Karim,

Good post. Myself. My body feels good after eating fish. Bad after eating a big bag of Fritos. So I eat more fish then Fritos lol.

Gonna try to post an image of one of the figures in my CMAT Volume 2 book. Shows the basic exchanges going on in the Sponge Loop. Now this is a cheesy camera pic of the figure printed out and hanging on my wall. Best I can do right now.

spongeloop.jpg