Coral Vue Hydros

Bad expreience with nano box

Nickbruh510

2 minutes ago, Nickbruh510 said:

Has anyone else have any bad experience with nanobox?  I have had the worst experience ever with him and he is a vet slow responder.

I think this post belongs in the vendor feedback forum. Hopefully someone can move it for you. 

• Thanks 1
Thrassian Atoll

I received the wrong color lid and no power supply.  Dave was quick to correct the mistake though and I really like my light.  My only complaint is that he has mint leds that he doesn't offer to the public but personally uses.  Find that odd myself.  

Yeah i am missing 2 power supplies and i have waited over 2 weeks for a fuge light and a repair. It's driving me nuts like wtf.  These lights may be up for sale soon. This wonderful spectrum everyone talks about I still can't experience. 

3 minutes ago, TILTON said:

I received the wrong color lid and no power supply.  Dave was quick to correct the mistake though and I really like my light.  My only complaint is that he has mint leds that he doesn't offer to the public but personally uses.  Find that odd myself.  

All the current lights have mints. You can even get them on a separate channel if you opt out of the moonlight. 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, TILTON said:

His fixtures for months have had mint. The mint puck is in all units. I think your information source is faulty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Thrassian Atoll
33 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

His fixtures for months have had mint. The mint puck is in all units. I think your information source is faulty. 

No, I think your information is faulty.  He has a white/lime channel.  He uses mint leds that he controls on a separate channel but loses the moonlight setting.  He talks about this on his growth thread.

IMG_1261.PNG

1 minute ago, TILTON said:

No, I think your information is faulty.  He has a white/lime channel.  He uses mint leds that he controls on a separate channel but loses the moonlight setting.  He talks about this on his growth thread.

IMG_1261.PNG

And those are the units he is currently selling. And has been selling for a bit. Look at the website. They're on there. You own an older model. Even if you get the moonlight they still have the mint diodes you just can't control them separately. In addition he builds the things, you could diy with any clolors on however many channels you want too. 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Here is his thread which I even asked about the mint on a different channel.  He calls it mint.  Is that the same led as lime?  Either way, it's not offered on his website to have that as a channel option.  Would I be fine losing moonlight channel?  Of course to have a controllable channel for separate day leds.

I just bought my light 3 weeks ago!  Older model?  Lol

1 minute ago, TILTON said:

Here is his thread which I even asked about the mint on a different channel.  He calls it mint.  Is that the same led as lime?  Either way, it's not offered on his website to have that as a channel option.  Would I be fine losing moonlight channel?  Of course to have a controllable channel for separate day leds.

I just bought my light 3 weeks ago!  Older model?  Lol

That's a good question. Was it a refurb? I never understood the point of having a moonlight, it's really just for our eyes, People have been growing coral with just off/on nondimming lights for years before leds were the in thing. Hell if I was to really go big I'd get mh/t5 combo. Best looking that I've ever seen in person imo. If you unit is only three weeks old I'd imagine the diodes are mint in color but the channel on the app is still labeled lime. @DaveFason

Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

That's a good question. Was it a refurb? I never understood the point of having a moonlight, it's really just for our eyes, People have been growing coral with just off/on nondimming lights for years before leds were the in thing. Hell if I was to really go big I'd get mh/t5 combo. Best looking that I've ever seen in person imo. If you unit is only three weeks old I'd imagine the diodes are mint in color but the channel on the app is still labeled lime. @DaveFason

Thats what I am saying.  It's not the end all be all.  I still think it's a great light.  I just feel like if I just bought a brand new, $500 light or whatever it was, that being able to control the mint, new led or not, should be given as an option over moonlights especially if your showing growth progress with those settings as opposed to what I am able to use on one of your brand new lights.  I have my moonlights on for like 2 hours a night and then shut them off.  Even if you lose the moonlight channel, I think you could still run the royal blue channel at 1 percent.  The only advantage of the moonlight channel is to have it change the bulb power to follow moon phase cycles.

14 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Thats what I am saying.  It's not the end all be all.  I still think it's a great light.  I just feel like if I just bought a brand new, $500 light or whatever it was, that being able to control the mint, new led or not, should be given as an option over moonlights especially if your showing growth progress with those settings as opposed to what I am able to use on one of your brand new lights.  I have my moonlights on for like 2 hours a night and then shut them off.  Even if you lose the moonlight channel, I think you could still run the royal blue channel at 1 percent.  The only advantage of the moonlight channel is to have it change the bulb power to follow moon phase cycles.

Bit, it is an option. Just get the model w/o the moonlight channel. Or you mean it should come with another channel? I really don't even have a dog in this race. Don't even have this light but, I find myself "window shopping" them about once a week. 

33 minutes ago, TILTON said:

IMG_1261.PNG

Look- they've been in all units since November. 

unless you had an odd retrofit or used unit it has mint. The app is crap and is most likely not updated to reflect the LED. Look at them at 1% :) 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

unless you had an odd retrofit or used unit it has mint. The app is crap and is most likely not updated to reflect the LED. Look at them at 1% :) 

Harry is correct - the labeling in bluefish is most likely off. You can change the channel names as you want. 

Thrassian Atoll

The nanobox duo plus m is what I bought.  There is no option to have the mint on a dedicated channel instead of moonlight.  The duo nor duo plus say anything about that.  I am saying that on his personal light, he used mint on the moonlight channel and does not run any whites at all.  He is showing growth with a light, that by just ordering from his website is not possible to have.  He emailed me before he made this unit for me and asked what kind of tank it was going over, and did not mention that I could have mint leds on a seperate channel instead of moonlights.  That is my only complaint.  It is a small complaint.  Not a big deal.  I guess the bigger gripe is having a thread showing growth rates without me being able to recreate his light settings.  

Also, on the nanobox website the leds are labeled lime.  I don't think he would make the mistake of calling them mint if they are in fact the same leds.

http://nanoboxreef.com/shop.html

IMG_1262.PNG

58 minutes ago, TILTON said:

The nanobox duo plus m is what I bought.  There is no option to have the mint on a dedicated channel instead of moonlight.  The duo nor duo plus say anything about that.  I am saying that on his personal light, he used mint on the moonlight channel and does not run any whites at all.  He is showing growth with a light, that by just ordering from his website is not possible to have.  He emailed me before he made this unit for me and asked what kind of tank it was going over, and did not mention that I could have mint leds on a seperate channel instead of moonlights.  That is my only complaint.  It is a small complaint.  Not a big deal.  I guess the bigger gripe is having a thread showing growth rates without me being able to recreate his light settings.  

Also, on the nanobox website the leds are labeled lime.  I don't think he would make the mistake of calling them mint if they are in fact the same leds.

http://nanoboxreef.com/shop.html

IMG_1262.PNG

It's not an option you can do in the app. It's all in the wiring. You got the M so no dedicated lime channel. Or mint or whatever. 

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

In fact you have to specify on your order to get the mint on a separate channel. Click the link. 

Well Dave forgot 2 power supplies and probably gonna take another freaking week to get it sorted out. Bunk service

Any one interested in a v3 array nanobox duo?

There could be some disconnects between what's on the board, which Dave had explained that it's been updated with mint for quite sometime replacing lime, vs what the channel default names that showed up on the bluefish app.

i.e. I had to "rename" my lime channel name to mint on bluefish, after I confirmed my order. 

I can't (edit) speak to how your fixtures may, or may not have independent controls of mint, that's something that had to be communicated during ordering process, I think.

Thrassian Atoll

The lime/white channel still controls both though.  It's not independent.  I wish I could keep the whites way down and turn the lime up to increase th brightness as the whites have to be a super low Kelvin rating almost yellow rather than white.

@ the OP.

I really didn't want to comment cause I don't use these lights, no need yet.

@DaveFasonseems to be a frequent poster and solves problems.

The original complaint seems to have gotten off track from the post which had nothing to do with mints. Or did I miss something? 

Anyway, I believe those lights are hand made, from my research, and that doesn't exactly mean speed. I think it can mean quality though. 

I don't know nanobox, only from what I've read, but it seems like nanobox questions get answered and solved with a little bit of patience. 

4 hours ago, Nickbruh510 said:

Has anyone else have any bad experience with nanobox?  I have had the worst experience ever with him and he is a vet slow responder.

He has been super quick to respond to me, and has been pretty willing to give me advice and recommendations on so many different aspects of this. How are you messaging him; through the website / email, or as a private message on here?

36 minutes ago, TILTON said:

The lime/white channel still controls both though.  It's not independent.  I wish I could keep the whites way down and turn the lime up to increase th brightness as the whites have to be a super low Kelvin rating almost yellow rather than white.

I remember seeing you guys talk about that in his growth thread. I am actually going to inquire about this tomorrow for my light, since it hasn't been shipped out, and see if it is possible. I'd like to have moonlights, but I can always attach separate ones inside my fixture since it will have so much space. Have you asked him if he could rewire yours to do what you want? I agree that the channel is mislabeled, but you are correct in your understanding that your device does have mint and that the mint / white channel is still tied together.

38 minutes ago, TILTON said:

You could have if you'd specified that in your order. 

Thrassian Atoll
Just now, 1891Bro said:

You could have if you'd specified that in your order. 

How could I have done that if it isn't mentioned on the website when ordering?  He never mentioned it to me either when he emailed me asking a question about the light.

Just now, TILTON said:

How could I have done that if it isn't mentioned on the website when ordering?  He never mentioned it to me either when he emailed me asking a question about the light.

I just read back through the thread, and he did specifically say that he felt it was still regarded as "taboo" to use it this way, but that it could be customized like that. I take it as him prototyping an idea, and feeling out of it is worth putting up as a standard offering. Bear in mind the dude is also busy as hell, and seems to have some big things coming. For the fact that he is flying solo, I have to give him credit for how few complaints he gets. 

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic