aerotiy

Fluval PS2 Mini Protein Skimmer

aerotiy

Happy Thursday everyone.

I just received my Fluval PS2 in the mail and plugged it in. I've never used a protein skimmer before so I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to look/sound/function.

My tank was pretty quiet with just the pump running which was nice, and now this protein skimmer is making a noticeable amount of noise. It's also not producing much bubbles in the column so I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be? Are the bubbles supposed to come all the way up through the middle? I called Fluval and they just told me to wait 7 days until the skimmer is settled in. 

The lady also said it needs to be submerged completely, but the back compartment where the skimmer sits in the EVO 13.5 doesn't allow it to be completely submerged so that's confusing as well.

Anyway, if anyone who's had more experience than I with this could offer some tips, I'd be grateful. 

OhDumb

I have this skimmer and love it after the break in period and dialed in. I'll answer your questions and give you some tips....

Slide the skimmer in the first compartment with the overflow from the tank until it's seated firmly. The very top of the body will be at water level and cup will be out of the water. How much the body is out of the water will be determined on the level you run your water. No worries regardless. Mine is just out of the water about a few millimeters.

Once it's in there plug it in and turn the air intake right until it's closed. Turn the knob for water flow until the water level in the skimmer is lowest (fully opened). Now start slowly turning the air intake open until you see the water rise as bubbles start up. There is a moment when you have fine bubbles and high water column and then you pass that point and get really big bubbles and the water level drops. You want to find the balance of max fine bubbles (you will fiddle with this forever, so find a good spot and leave it for now). Now turn the water level knob on the skimmer to slowly bring the water level up to just below the cup (water line will be dark and white bubbles on top). Bring the water up to level with the cup bottom. I would leave it like this for a few hours to settle in.

Once you let it run for a good while, you can tell if you are producing skimmate. If you are collecting lots of tank water and no grossness, you are skimming too much and dial the water level down. If you aren't skimming enough (very little collection after a day) then bring the water level up. Just note that feeding, hands in tank, etc.. will cause the skimmer to go crazy with bubbles of kill the bubbles all together. So, make sure you checking it when you can and adjust as needed.

This is all a "feel" and nothing prescriptive. I typically skim wet after feeding, but skim dry during the day with lots of tiny bubble foam getting pushed out. I also adjust the skimmer quite a bit while learning it to find the right setting. So, it's not really a set it and forget it skimmer like the big boys. I skim best when the water line is just at the curve inside the cup then move it up and down from there.

Word of warning, this thing when new creates massive amounts of micro bubbles in the tank. But, once it's run of a week or so that goes away. It is loud and is the loudest part of the tank, but I've never ran a quite skimmer. It is just the nature of the beast. One more thing, the air hose and air intake will try and pull the lid off. You'll want to weigh that down. I just use a flat rock, but anything will do. I also, had to file out the hole as the air intake wouldn't fit, but easy fix.

I'm at work, but will try and take some pics tonight if you need them.

• Thanks 1

aerotiy
6 minutes ago, OhDumb said:

I have this skimmer and love it after the break in period and dialed in. I'll answer your questions and give you some tips....

Slide the skimmer in the first compartment with the overflow from the tank until it's seated firmly. The very top of the body will be at water level and cup will be out of the water. How much the body is out of the water will be determined on the level you run your water. No worries regardless. Mine is just out of the water about a few millimeters.

Once it's in there plug it in and turn the air intake right until it's closed. Turn the knob for water flow until the water level in the skimmer is lowest (fully opened). Now start slowly turning the air intake open until you see the water rise as bubbles start up. There is a moment when you have fine bubbles and high water column and then you pass that point and get really big bubbles and the water level drops. You want to find the balance of max fine bubbles (you will fiddle with this forever, so find a good spot and leave it for now). Now turn the water level knob on the skimmer to slowly bring the water level up to just below the cup (water line will be dark and white bubbles on top). Bring the water up to level with the cup bottom. I would leave it like this for a few hours to settle in.

Once you let it run for a good while, you can tell if you are producing skimmate. If you are collecting lots of tank water and no grossness, you are skimming too much and dial the water level down. If you aren't skimming enough (very little collection after a day) then bring the water level up. Just note that feeding, hands in tank, etc.. will cause the skimmer to go crazy with bubbles of kill the bubbles all together. So, make sure you checking it when you can and adjust as needed.

This is all a "feel" and nothing prescriptive. I typically skim wet after feeding, but skim dry during the day with lots of tiny bubble foam getting pushed out. I also adjust the skimmer quite a bit while learning it to find the right setting. So, it's not really a set it and forget it skimmer like the big boys. I skim best when the water line is just at the curve inside the cup then move it up and down from there.

Word of warning, this thing when new creates massive amounts of micro bubbles in the tank. But, once it's run of a week or so that goes away. It is loud and is the loudest part of the tank, but I've never ran a quite skimmer. It is just the nature of the beast. One more thing, the air hose and air intake will try and pull the lid off. You'll want to weigh that down. I just use a flat rock, but anything will do. I also, had to file out the hole as the air intake wouldn't fit, but easy fix.

I'm at work, but will try and take some pics tonight if you need them.

Thank you! I will keep an eye on it and adjust it as I go. :)

GusF

Thanks for this. For me I’m still getting micro bubbles after over a 6 weeks. Any suggestions on how to reduce those?

cabezatuck
On 3/3/2019 at 1:49 PM, GusF said:

Thanks for this. For me I’m still getting micro bubbles after over a 6 weeks. Any suggestions on how to reduce those?

Probably a really late reply here, but for others having the same issue: if you’re still getting micro bubbles after a week+, you probably have the skimmer either too high above the water line or too far below it, try adjusting and they should go away.

Jimpens71
On 3/3/2019 at 1:49 PM, GusF said:

So am I. It’s very frustrating 

Danido

Okay I have some very detailed problems here I’m hoping to also get a reply on what’s going on here we had some settings adjusted well possible at first on our ps2 mini fluval my partner did not think the water level in reservoir needed to be at a higher level and the water stayed to low I think we’re two weeks in and everything seems fine and the levels of the saltwater were also ideal when we tested a couple time but our skimmer never had the bubbles producing I did some research realizing he didn’t know much about the tank and protein skimmer we had the air intake valve closed and now I have it all the way up as suggested then the water gate was mainly closed and now we had some oil film on the top I’m concerned now after I said we could add freshwater he was not sure if that is what to do I said yes yes water needs filled up high with freshwater not just salt water  so now with all the adjustments it seems to be circulating on the top but still does not produce bubbles in the collection cup please if anyone knows what the problem could be let us know thanks!!