Top Shelf Aquatics

Instant Ocean High Calcium – Bad Test or Bad Salt?

mcaswell

I use Instant Ocean salt, which is supposed to be 400ppm calcium.  However, I'm consistently getting a reading of 480ppm with my API test, whether testing a fresh bucket of SW or water from the aquariums.  I know API test kits aren't the most highly regarded, and I suppose my next step should be to try a different test kit.  But in the meantime, has anyone had experience with IO salt being high in calcium?

flatlandreefer

I always add calcium to my fresh IO mix.  I would have a hard time believing it is actually 480 especially testing with api.  Take a sample to your LFS and have them test it for you.  How are your other params?

• 4 weeks later...

I found the same thing the other day. I very lazy when it comes to water chnages, I think ive chnaged 3 gallons in the last 6 months. I have acros and a ton of coralline so i thought i might want to dose calcium. I tested first, got a reading ovef 480-500ppm. The bottle of calcium remains unopened. API test kit, took like 28 drops of bottle 2

Instant Ocean Reef Crystal with Ro/di, but topping off with tap from work. So its probably mostly tap water