Top Shelf Aquatics

My very first aquascape

aerotiy

This is my first reef tank, a Fluval Sea EVO 13.5 gallon. I spent about an hour and a half trying to get this bridge structure stable. I wiggled it lightly with my finger and it didn't move so I take that as a good sign. I didn't include a front view because it's kind of boring. I really don't know what I'm doing so....

Opinions & advice appreciated :) 

IMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6106.jpg

• Like 3

Looks pretty good! Zip ties are always easy to use to get a scape to stay in place, or many of the epoxies that are sold for this purpose (or even ones that are sold for other purposes, like waterweld)

• Like 1

Can also sand the rock a little bit to give it flat spots to lay on. That will help a bit. Can also apply some reef safe putty to those flat spots to make sure. However, it will be harder to clean when you want to move the rock a bit to do so. 

Rockscape looks good, love the little arch way....gives a tank depth. My setup also has a little arch and cave for fish to hide in. 

Thanks everyone! I made the mistake of setting up the first scape and being just ok with it because I ran out of rock so I filled the tank up and then decided I would just run to the store to buy a little more rock. Of course the cloudy water made rescaping rather difficult but eventually it came together. I'm gonna wait for the cloudiness to settle some more before I continue to mess with it. I'll probably end up getting the glue to be safe.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Good plan @aerotiy! Epoxy putty is probably your best option for holding it together if you're worried about stability after the haze settles tomorrow. You can apply the underwater putty while it's still in place inside the tank, so your design isn't disrupted, sort of like sculpting clay.

• Like 1

Cloudiness will go away. Toss some filter floss in there, directly after the entering tank water, will help keep that stuff from clogging you more expensive filter media. 

10 minutes ago, SantaMonicaHelp said:

I like it!

Waiting for the updates! :)

-Paola

Thanks! Updates will come soon if the tank makes it through the hurricane coming my way haha

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Mini update: my first little inhabitant. Got him about four days ago he seems to be doing good. Actively swimming throughout the whole tank and eating every bit of food I toss in there. Just waiting to start seeing some algae before adding snails.

edit: also can't figure out how to clean the white stuff off the inside glass. Regular hand scrubber didn't do the trick and I don't know about sticking a rag in there.

IMG_6185.JPG

IMG_6188.JPG

Edited by aerotiy
  • Like 2
Christopher Marks

Great to see you back @aerotiy! The hurricane didn't give you too much trouble?

You should be able to clean that fine dusty sediment off the glass by wiping it with your fingers, or a clean razor blade makes easy work, since it's durable glass.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great to see you back @aerotiy! The hurricane didn't give you too much trouble?

You should be able to clean that fine dusty sediment off the glass by wiping it with your fingers, or a clean razor blade makes easy work, since it's durable glass.

Nope, thankfully the hurricane only knocked the power out for about 2 days so I was able to get the cycle up and running again without a stall. I'll try getting it all with my fingers and see how it goes.

I also started an aquarium journal for this tank if anyone is interested in following the build :D

• Like 1