Jump to content
kinetic

kinetic RSR 170 - clowns have arrived, it's a circus!

Recommended Posts

Lynton   

Hi, I have the same tank, like where your going with it, specially the idea for ATO. (I did the same by cutting it out after several times it failed to top up) subbed

Share this post


Link to post
kinetic   
6 hours ago, Lynton said:

Hi, I have the same tank, like where your going with it, specially the idea for ATO. (I did the same by cutting it out after several times it failed to top up) subbed

Thanks! Saw your thread, tank is looking good.

 

I ended up using a razor to remove the triangle piece for the ATO. I made a mistake, because when I stuck the sump back into the stand, the magnet for the Neptune ATK kept the sump from sitting flush with the bottom. So I moved the ATK to sit on the baffle on the opposite wall instead. Kind of a squeeze with the sponge, but it fits better there. I'm pretty sure my return pump will still have plenty of space.

 

The only new updates are I finished the control panel that's just a MDF piece of wood behind the tank with controllers mounted on one side, ADJ powerstrip and Neptune Apex Jr on the backside (display on frontside). I also crawled under the house and pulled an ethernet cable and RO/DI line over for refilling my ATO reservoir (when it comes).

 

I was going to take photos, but nothing really new to show just yet.

 

What's left:

  • Hang the AI Hydra 52 HD (keep getting the wrong hanging kit, dammit)
  • Plumb chiller and reactor (waiting on a bunch of plumbing, being shipped from BRS and marinedepot right now)
  • Setup ATO reservoir in the closet (float valve, add ATK pump)
  • Display tank (waiting on the replacement... not sure when it will ever come)

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, kinetic said:

Thanks! Saw your thread, tank is looking good.

 

I ended up using a razor to remove the triangle piece for the ATO. I made a mistake, because when I stuck the sump back into the stand, the magnet for the Neptune ATK kept the sump from sitting flush with the bottom. So I moved the ATK to sit on the baffle on the opposite wall instead. Kind of a squeeze with the sponge, but it fits better there. I'm pretty sure my return pump will still have plenty of space.

 

The only new updates are I finished the control panel that's just a MDF piece of wood behind the tank with controllers mounted on one side, ADJ powerstrip and Neptune Apex Jr on the backside (display on frontside). I also crawled under the house and pulled an ethernet cable and RO/DI line over for refilling my ATO reservoir (when it comes).

 

I was going to take photos, but nothing really new to show just yet.

 

What's left:

  • Hang the AI Hydra 52 HD (keep getting the wrong hanging kit, dammit)
  • Plumb chiller and reactor (waiting on a bunch of plumbing, being shipped from BRS and marinedepot right now)
  • Setup ATO reservoir in the closet (float valve, add ATK pump)
  • Display tank (waiting on the replacement... not sure when it will ever come)

Plumbing the chiller. Will the reactor and the chiller be tied into the return pump?

Share this post


Link to post

Damn, your photography has me so excited for this already, and it isn't even wet yet! Looks great so far, following along. 

Share this post


Link to post
kinetic   
6 hours ago, Nickbruh510 said:

Plumbing the chiller. Will the reactor and the chiller be tied into the return pump?

I have a separate pump, Skimz QuietPro 2.0 DC, that will be providing the flow to both. I was thinking of using the return pump, since it's rated about 2x the amount needed for a return and plenty to also power the chiller and reactor, but having a separate pump is always nicer if I can manage since I can shutoff the return without shutting off chiller/reactor and vice versa. Though with enough ball/gate valves I guess I could get the same results. Also, running two pumps at VERY low capacity might be better.

 

I've been thinking about it though, if I turn on the "feed mode" for the return pump, it's no harm stopping the reactor/chiller at the same time... so hmm, maybe.

6 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Damn, your photography has me so excited for this already, and it isn't even wet yet! Looks great so far, following along. 

Thanks a ton! Just simple composition and a quick edit in Priime does the trick ;)

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kinetic said:

I have a separate pump, Skimz QuietPro 2.0 DC, that will be providing the flow to both. I was thinking of using the return pump, since it's rated about 2x the amount needed for a return and plenty to also power the chiller and reactor, but having a separate pump is always nicer if I can manage since I can shutoff the return without shutting off chiller/reactor and vice versa. Though with enough ball/gate valves I guess I could get the same results. Also, running two pumps at VERY low capacity might be better.

 

I've been thinking about it though, if I turn on the "feed mode" for the return pump, it's no harm stopping the reactor/chiller at the same time... so hmm, maybe.

Thanks a ton! Just simple composition and a quick edit in Priime does the trick ;)

Thats exactly what I was thinking the feed mode fir the return pump.

Share this post


Link to post
Lawnman   
On 9/1/2017 at 6:58 PM, kinetic said:
After a couple of hours in a vinegar bath, I rinsed off the chiller and test fit it into the sump:
 
36157139273_3f6dff5abb_c.jpg
 
 
Build quality is pretty nice, though rough around the edges. The acrylic / plastic feels sturdy.
 
36965954375_dde86f4468_c.jpg
 
 
The cheesy sticker sucks. Photographs badly. Simplicity needs laser etching or something:
 
36794889922_acdd089ba2_c.jpg
 
 
Also received my Neptune ATK last night. Got it during the MACNA Neptune 10% off deal everyone was having. I was going to wait on it, but 10% off was too good to pass up. Not sure exactly how to mount it. I removed the float valve the tank came with. Unfortunately, without razor blading off the triangle piece, I'll have to tuck it underneath. Hopefully there will still be enough space for the return pump. I might just razor blade off that triangle anyway?
 
36794895262_ffbfd0bb02_c.jpg
 
36794900332_deaf95edd6_c.jpg
 
The original ATO float valve hole almost looks perfect for a temp probe... but flow might not be good here:
 
36794907032_e2aa663091_c.jpg
 
I put the ATO reservoir into the skimmer chamber. I'm probably going to just plumb the drain of my GFO/Carbon reactor into this little 1.5 gallon area and let it overflow. I'll use it as a refugium, and maybe put a little angler fish in there and spot feed him daily =)
 
36130820874_124f748b64_c.jpg
 
Lastly I added a LED strip into my cabinet (Eshine 12" LED):
 
36130822854_3db14c6703_c.jpg
 
Should be getting the reactor/chiller pump today and the mini BRS reactor. More photos when that's getting setup!

I think that ATO is to small for a Angler don't you? 

Share this post


Link to post
kinetic   
3 hours ago, Lawnman said:

I think that ATO is to small for a Angler don't you? 

Possibly. The angler I was looking for was around 2". They don't really need too much space initially I think? Just a lot of water volume since they're a mess.

 

Once the angler is large enough and feeding well, I might try to put him into the display tank... though I'm not sure how he'd do in a super high flow tank with a bunch of clowns and anemones... The angler idea isn't very well formed and most likely won't happen, but maybe something to think about. For now that reservoir thing will just have chaeto and water will be fed in by a T'd off return of my reactor.

Share this post


Link to post
kinetic   

Still waiting on even a tracking number for my replacement display tank. Reached out to Red Sea to see if they had any updates on the tank being shipped, but haven't heard back yet. I'm guessing Harvey aftermath is still fully problematic (as I would assume).

 

From the last update, I finally hung the AI Hydra 52 HD. Took a few tries to find the right hanging kit. I happened to need to drill right up into some ceiling joists, so I didn't need the alligator anchors and just used some strong wood screws. I was able to almost put 30% of my body weight on it and it didn't budge, so I think I'm good. The power cable is black and looks ultra ugly. I ordered a braided sleeve in white (1/4") that I'm going to fit over the cable. Hopefully it will look good. I'll also attach the cable to the wall so it's out of the way. Also ignore the PMUP black cable and chiller power cable coming out of the wall to the back of the tank. I'm going to use white neoprene sleeve to give those the same treatments.

 

36261770713_1b71d79fa9_b.jpg

 

36261767273_083380fc17_b.jpg

 

36261764073_19df9af2fe_b.jpg

 

36261760743_3739c12cb0_b.jpg

 

36261756873_0b3d55ba6c_b.jpg

 

Sump is now in the stand. I connected most of the power cables / controller cables, but waiting for the plumbing to go in before doing a nice wire clean up. I don't have my return pump in there because I'm using it to cycle the rock / marinepure plate in a tub at the moment.

 

36678855630_d6ea7567bf_b.jpg

 

Used a neat bungee chord thing that quick releases from a round adhesive piece that I stuck to the top. It doesn't hold too much weight, but works for these cables. I'll clean them up later once plumbing is in. Those two "L" brackets used to hold my ADJ power strip, but I took that out of the cabinet and mounted it behind the tank. I just left those brackets there just in case I needed them for something else.

 

36678851640_5861d6fc00_b.jpg

 

And here's a shot of the sump without the triangular ATO mount:

 

36261778513_954282b611_b.jpg

 

And I had to actually mount the damn thing on the opposite wall against the baffle because the magnet couldn't fit with the sump in the cabinet:

 

36678854040_dd5faa194e_b.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
madtrax   

Looking good. Great photography skills : )

For the Hydra cable I personally use a small PVC gutter to hide the cable against the wall so it doesn't just hang.

 

_DSC4482.thumb.JPG.e289232c7b223cedd6915

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
kinetic   
3 minutes ago, madtrax said:

Looking good. Great photography skills : )

For the Hydra cable I personally use a small PVC gutter to hide the cable against the wall so it doesn't just hang.

 

_DSC4482.thumb.JPG.e289232c7b223cedd6915

Oh that looks perfect. Where can I get something like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Lynton   

Man this better than my tank already had uve only got stand and sump in it!! 😭 Looks so clean having those lights hung, wonder if the Mrs and landlady would mind me drilling holes in ceiling to hang my lights up? 😂😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kinetic   
2 hours ago, madtrax said:

I believe it should be very easy to find in US at any hardware store. You can check on the HomeDepot website for Channel raceways

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-Home-Electronics-Cable-Management-Cord-Covers-Channel-Raceways/N-5yc1vZc65f

 

Ah yes! I've seen those. I'm definitely going to get one for the light, and maybe even for the cables coming from the closet. Thank you for the suggestion and the link.

10 minutes ago, Lynton said:

Man this better than my tank already had uve only got stand and sump in it!! 😭 Looks so clean having those lights hung, wonder if the Mrs and landlady would mind me drilling holes in ceiling to hang my lights up? 😂😂

Haha thanks. It's going to be awhile before I can probably get a replacement tank, so I'll just keep photographing the empty space between the stand and light for awhile ;)

 

You should definitely hang the lights up. It's so much cleaner. If you want to get rid of the holes, just a patch, spackling, and a little bit of paint and you're done. The holes only need to be about 5/8"!

Share this post


Link to post
Lynton   
1 minute ago, kinetic said:

Ah yes! I've seen those. I'm definitely going to get one for the light, and maybe even for the cables coming from the closet. Thank you for the suggestion and the link.

Haha thanks. It's going to be awhile before I can probably get a replacement tank, so I'll just keep photographing the empty space between the stand and light for awhile ;)

 

You should definitely hang the lights up. It's so much cleaner. If you want to get rid of the holes, just a patch, spackling, and a little bit of paint and you're done. The holes only need to be about 5/8"!

 I like the idea of them so much better than the mount as I can't get overflow cover on mine as it sticks out to much and I don't want to cut it to bits to make it fit....  i would like to add a pulley so I can raise them up so I can get in the tank and clean when I have to.. how far will you have yours off the water?

Share this post


Link to post
kinetic   
5 minutes ago, Lynton said:

 I like the idea of them so much better than the mount as I can't get overflow cover on mine as it sticks out to much and I don't want to cut it to bits to make it fit....  i would like to add a pulley so I can raise them up so I can get in the tank and clean when I have to.. how far will you have yours off the water?

Not sure yet. I'm just going to drop it down so it'll cover the whole bottom of the tank, but not spill out much on either side. Kind of hard with the Hydra 52, it's spread is about 30"x30" max, but it is optimal for 24"x24", so it should be ok probably around 10 - 12" off the water.

 

The hanging kit makes it pretty easy to pull the light up and down. Kind of annoying to get both lengths equal again, since they are independently adjusted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Lynton   
1 hour ago, kinetic said:

Not sure yet. I'm just going to drop it down so it'll cover the whole bottom of the tank, but not spill out much on either side. Kind of hard with the Hydra 52, it's spread is about 30"x30" max, but it is optimal for 24"x24", so it should be ok probably around 10 - 12" off the water.

 

The hanging kit makes it pretty easy to pull the light up and down. Kind of annoying to get both lengths equal again, since they are independently adjusted.

Haha I have very bad OCD and not a lot of patience when it comes to things being equal and straight lines.. sometimes I wonder why I'm in this hobbie cuz of it 😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
kinetic   
52 minutes ago, Lynton said:

Haha I have very bad OCD and not a lot of patience when it comes to things being equal and straight lines.. sometimes I wonder why I'm in this hobbie cuz of it 😂😂😂

I'm very OCD too, and I get frustrated easily. But as I've grown, I've found that this hobby really helps me focus and calm down. Getting things just right without rushing it has been huge for me in my everyday.

 

I run a startup company (in tech), and it's been extremely stressful in every way. I care a lot about it. I got back into the hobby just recently in order to take a little time to work on something else in the evenings that's more hands on and very different. It's helped a lot. I try to welcome all new challenges and strange things like badly tilted light fixtures ;)

 

On another note: Has anyone tried using AlgaeBarn pods?

 

Since my tank is starting from dead dry rock, I'm thinking of getting this package:

https://www.algaebarn.com/product/combo-5280-pods-oceanmagik-phyto

Share this post


Link to post
Lynton   

My wife always says I can't believe ur in this hobbie cuz u don't have  patience usually for anything else like diy etc, but like you it does kind of calm me down and relax me (when things go right) and it's nice to just sit nxt to the tank and watch every thing grow and interact in side our little boxs of ocean..

 

as for the pods etc I did add pods after mine cycled put 200ish in the sump, I see them when I clean filter socks now and again so I no they are still in there 😂

Share this post


Link to post

While waiting on your new tank, I suggest modifying the filter sock holder so you can change them without having to pull out the slider. If I remember correctly you cut the edges of the holder so the sock can be changed by pulling up instead of sliding out. This the one mod I wish I did.  

Share this post


Link to post
kinetic   
16 hours ago, Lynton said:

My wife always says I can't believe ur in this hobbie cuz u don't have  patience usually for anything else like diy etc, but like you it does kind of calm me down and relax me (when things go right) and it's nice to just sit nxt to the tank and watch every thing grow and interact in side our little boxs of ocean..

 

as for the pods etc I did add pods after mine cycled put 200ish in the sump, I see them when I clean filter socks now and again so I no they are still in there 😂

Things going right is the key. When things go wrong... gotta just take some deep breaths.

 

3 hours ago, MockandRoll said:

While waiting on your new tank, I suggest modifying the filter sock holder so you can change them without having to pull out the slider. If I remember correctly you cut the edges of the holder so the sock can be changed by pulling up instead of sliding out. This the one mod I wish I did.  

Oh interesting. Yeah sliding it out seems really annoying. Sounds cool in theory, but in practice why slide?

Share this post


Link to post
Lynton   
10 hours ago, MockandRoll said:

While waiting on your new tank, I suggest modifying the filter sock holder so you can change them without having to pull out the slider. If I remember correctly you cut the edges of the holder so the sock can be changed by pulling up instead of sliding out. This the one mod I wish I did.  

Yea I changed the sock over to one of these and stuff it with filter floss and also put my carbon in there in a bag

IMG_0915.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Lawnman   
25 minutes ago, Lynton said:

Yea I changed the sock over to one of these and stuff it with filter floss and also put my carbon in there in a bag

IMG_0915.JPG

Who makes that? I had that idea about 2-3 years ago and called them Crapper Trappers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Lynton   
1 minute ago, Lawnman said:

Who makes that? I had that idea about 2-3 years ago and called them Crapper Trappers. 

It's from a company called little ocean  here in the UK, it's called the crud catcher actually 😂.. it'sjust starting to get popular over here thanks to you guys across the pond, I love it no more washing filter socks

Share this post


Link to post

Is photography your job or hobby?  I have to say that you are making some pretty mundane equipment look beautiful.  Who would have thought that a picture of a sump could look so good.

 

Kudos!

 

I have a RSR 170 and can't say enough good things about it.  I was on the fence about keeping the filter sock but after watching a vid on BRSTV, they convinced me that socks can be a great mechanical filter as long as you change them out every 3 days or so.  I swap out the 225 mesh versions of the socks every 3-4 days and they are pretty easy to clean.  Now the 100 Felt ones are a different story, they are a PITA to clean.  I usually use one once a month to polish the water a bit.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recommended Discussions

  • Sign Up or Sign In to hide this.

×