Top Shelf Aquatics

Adding a 2nd Clown

GunslingerGirl

GunslingerGirl

Ok so, slightly beginner question... but wait until you hear the specs.

I have a 6 year old clownfish. He has lived with gobies with no issue. Hates me... doesn't mind other fish. Fiance wants to add a second clown. OK sure. BUUUUT.........

The clown is only.. maybe at max 2 inches. IDK. Probably still a male? At 6?? It's just odd to me. Have never run across this. Yes he lived in a 5 gallon alone for over 2 years. Then a 10 gallon for the next 2 ish. But he has lived in a 25 gallon for the last year, with no growth. Not sure if he was stunted or what. Planned to move him out of the 10 gallon if he grew above 2 inches... never did. Bought the 25... threw him in.

More background... he was the ridiculously small, runt of the tank, misbar, probably going to die, doesn't look so good, has some issue guy. He was a pity party purchase. Survived in QT for awhile. Ate like a champ, put him in the 5. Stayed under an inch for first 2 years. Then grew to like 1.5 over next 2.

So we wanted to add another clown. Obviously trying to find one that is smaller is key. Another ocellaris.. duh..

Anybody foresee any issue I am not thinking of? Fiance wants a black (doesn't care subtype) clown. Obviously I would prefer not to have him die, or be overly stressed by addition of another clown. I realize they will go back and forth for a bit until a female emerges. Which... I would have thought he would have dimorphed by now? 

Plans for tank were originally a wrasse, YWG, and potentially a smaller angel (to be moved to the empty 40 if gets too large) or other flashier fish. We have a YWG and the original clown.

TLDR: I have a tiny (2 inch) 6 year old clown, want to add a 2nd. Any issues you foresee? Not my first rodeo, just thrown off by fish size.

I dont think so.  standard rules apply.  I would assume he is a runty female?  I dont know on that.  second clown i imagine would be the tell over time. Clowns cant go back.  so if its female,  it cant revert to male.  So I wiuld assum its female, if it isnt, the second clown should become female and then you'll know.

GunslingerGirl
21 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I dont think so.  standard rules apply.  I would assume he is a runty female?  I dont know on that.  second clown i imagine would be the tell over time. Clowns cant go back.  so if its female,  it cant revert to male.  So I wiuld assum its female, if it isnt, the second clown should become female and then you'll know.

I am familiar with the general system. Just never had one stay a runt... this fish is in general just odd.

Ok so should it be a female currently... would that stunt the other clowns growth so it stays relatively small and submissive? It'll be interesting to see what the growth pattern of the second clown will be.

I will probably go ahead and start looking at clowns. I'll add it last but good to figure out if I can find a smaller guy. Lol damn the fiance for throwing a wrench into the tank plans. But if I expect him to help with chores, I guess I should buy him a fish.

Hopefully somebody else has had a weird mini clown who can chime in lol We can breed them. Mini clowns. Or maybe we should call them teacup clowns? lol

16 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

I am familiar with the general system. Just never had one stay a runt... this fish is in general just odd.

Ok so should it be a female currently... would that stunt the other clowns growth so it stays relatively small and submissive? It'll be interesting to see what the growth pattern of the second clown will be.

I will probably go ahead and start looking at clowns. I'll add it last but good to figure out if I can find a smaller guy. Lol damn the fiance for throwing a wrench into the tank plans. But if I expect him to help with chores, I guess I should buy him a fish.

Hopefully somebody else has had a weird mini clown who can chime in lol We can breed them. Mini clowns. Or maybe we should call them teacup clowns? lol

I know someone had a stumpy clown that was a dwarf clown...  She had it ib a 5 gallon for a while. It wull be interesting to see what happens 

stubby clownfish. not stumpy lol

http://www.treasurecoastcorals.com/stubby-ocellaris.html

They stay about 2 to 3 inches smaller than standard 

Always assume a solo long-term clown is female.  Safest bet.  Purchase a clown that is smaller.  When you go to the shop, usually the clowns are all together, find the one that is the smaller of the bunch and you should be okay. This could also trigger your current clown to increase in size.  Also remember, fish grow like trees: Smaller and slower when nutrients aren't so good, fast and big when conditions are favorable.

GunslingerGirl
6 hours ago, hooligan_78 said:

Always assume a solo long-term clown is female.  Safest bet.  Purchase a clown that is smaller.  When you go to the shop, usually the clowns are all together, find the one that is the smaller of the bunch and you should be okay. This could also trigger your current clown to increase in size.  Also remember, fish grow like trees: Smaller and slower when nutrients aren't so good, fast and big when conditions are favorable.

It isn't my first clownfish pairing.

I just have never had a clown refuse to grow past two inches. The clowns I have kept have all grown to at least 2.5-3 inches in my ten gallon.

He has had access to properly sized tank. And a mixture of fish foods. I don't think diet or housing is the issue here. I think I will work under the premise that it's a runty fish. Because no clown should be 1.5 inches at 6 years old. Just odd.

GunslingerGirl
10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Probably a female regardless of size especially since it hates you. I always had my lone females be more protective.

Good point lol