SaltCritters.com

Bringing RO/DI Water Temp Down

aerotiy

Hello all,

This may be a silly question but I'm still learning and want to do everything right. I have just been reading that to mix Red Sea Coral Pro Salt properly the RO water needs to be 68 degrees F. Higher temps cause calc precipitation. My problem is that the water I have for mixing is currently at about 79 degrees. I am trying to think of ways to cool the water down so I can properly mix it and the only thing I can think of is to put some ice in plastic bags and let them float in the buckets. Does anyone think that the plastic bags would contaminate the water in any way? Again, sorry if it's a dumb question I just want to be sure. Thanks!

I used the salt and never even checked the temp upon mixing 

Per red sea the instructions they gave me were

Add salt to the water slowly while stirring, after 2 hrs add powerhead and heater.

Adding the heater and powerhead prior to 2hrs causes cloudiness and precipitation.

Don't mix it for longer than 4hrs and it shouldn't sit longer than a week. 

Thrassian Atoll

I wouldn't worry about the temp before mixing.  I have never heard of that causing an issue.  I would think too that it would be harder to get the salinity correct if you mixed it 10 degrees colder than you have your tank temp.

MainelyReefer

I used RSCP and I throw RODI in a bucket, a powerhead and a heater and start mixing immediately regardless of temp, and I wait only 20 mins sometimes to add to tank if all parameters are ok, sometimes I let it mix for over 36 hours due to work.  The manufacturers have everyone doing absurd leg work to try to alleviate an issue that isn't always relevant for every reefer, or every box of salt.  I never get precipitation this way. I don't think plastic bags would contaminate your water due to the fact that we receive most livestock in plastic bags, and natures reefs surely have plastic intermittent now unfortunately.  Plenty of reefers keep water bottles frozen and use those so that may be a proven alternative if you truly still desire to lower the waters temp.  You will do a lot of mixing if you stay with this hobby so try out different ways and see for yourself what works, that's how I save myself hours over the manufacturers advise because I know what works for me.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did end up using bagged ice to bring the temp down to 68 for mixing but next time I won't worry about it. Now I'm having pH issues :blush:

18 minutes ago, aerotiy said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did end up using bagged ice to bring the temp down to 68 for mixing but next time I won't worry about it. Now I'm having pH issues :blush:

pH issues with your newly mixed saltwater?  I never even test it.  I don't worry about stuff like that.  Never had a problem all these years in the hobby.