inTank Media Baskets

Lumini Asta20 LED Light Initial Impressions

VaporCountry

39 minutes ago, VaporCountry said:

Yea I'm wondering how difficult it would be to hook up one of these cheap led wifi controllers. Im pretty sure you could program a sunrise/set and moonlights with it. Im not really sure how it has to be wired but I don't see why it wouldn't work. 

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Android-Channels-Controller-LD686/dp/B01AA6221S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1508723734&sr=8-5&keywords=wifi+led+controller

I tried with a SmartThings enabled dimming outlet and it didn't work unfortunately. Let me know if you do try this...

1 hour ago, Friendly said:

I don't think anything can make a non-dimmable LED dimmable?

Im pretty sure all LEDs are dimmable. Its just how much current is run through them. Plugging the power cord into a dimmer like he tried won't work with this light because there is all ready a dimmer on them in the power box. You would have to splice in to just the LED channels before the dimmer and power supply I believe. The wifi controller can handle 4amps per channel which I believe would be enough for this light.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven’t been taking good care of the tank where I have the lights set-up, so I can’t say about the growth.

regarding the timer, yes, you set-up the spectrum and hook it up with the timer, spectrum stays the same when turned on. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

I would be interested in hearing some results on coral growth as well.  Thinking of putting this on a Fluval spec iii for a cheap work pico

• 1 year later...

Just set up two of these lights on my tank. My frustration is with the remotes and how both lights respond to both remotes. I need to try and figure out if its possible to control or sync both lights to a single remote. This has been my only frustration so far.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
VaporCountry
7 hours ago, Abhijit said:

@VaporCountry Any update on the coral growth? Are these lights any good for SPS? 

I only had it set up for a few months. It is now taken down. I don't think it would be good enough for sps although I did have some short success. They make a more powerful one now called the pixie 30 that may be a little better. Overall if I had to do it again I would have just bought an Ai Prime

• 1 month later...

HI everyone.

There has been some discussion on this topic but no concrete experience shared so far.

I had ordered this light for my nano tank but am now a bit confused.

can some users respond on the following:

1) for what type of corals/inverts is this Asta 20 model suited for?

2) Is it a complete failure  with respect to keeping SPS?

Gulls

16" Nano cube

On 9/11/2019 at 12:35 AM, Gulls said:

HI everyone.

There has been some discussion on this topic but no concrete experience shared so far.

I had ordered this light for my nano tank but am now a bit confused.

can some users respond on the following:

1) for what type of corals/inverts is this Asta 20 model suited for?

2) Is it a complete failure  with respect to keeping SPS?

Gulls

16" Nano cube

This is the first light I used when I first started keeping coral. It’s a decent light, with decent color. But it didn’t really make my tank “thrive”, it just kept things alive until I got the Kessil A80. After switching to the A80, all of my coral just took off like weeds as if they were starving for light. 

Anyone still looking at this light, do yourself a favor and get the Kessil A80 or Prime. They are much better for keeping coral imo. 

On 9/11/2019 at 10:49 AM, Ratvan said:

I've been keeping Birds Nest and a Monti Confusa under this light in my pico tank. I wouldnt use this on anything bigger than 5G. Cant see it working too well. It's going on a Home Spec 3 when contest is over

Same. I just don't think it's powerful enough for tanks more than a few inches deep.  It does have very nice control and color for a small pico though, and I'd recommend it for a vase or bowl reef or something.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:01 PM, Gulls said:

Would two of it work in a 15 gallon tank?

I don't think it's nearly powerful enough for something that big. I had an AI Prime (non HD) over my 15L and can't imagine trying to use a little light like this over it. If you're not growing corals and just want nice color it might work but I would suggest hunting a used Kessil 160 or AI Prime (HD or non HD) before suggesting this. Or one of those $100 Chinese box lights or something.  I've got my Asta over a 2.3 gallon right now for which it seems to work fine.

On 9/12/2019 at 4:38 PM, RedPhotog said:

This is the first light I used when I first started keeping coral. It’s a decent light, with decent color. But it didn’t really make my tank “thrive”, it just kept things alive until I got the Kessil A80. After switching to the A80, all of my coral just took off like weeds as if they were starving for light. 

Anyone still looking at this light, do yourself a favor and get the Kessil A80 or Prime. They are much better for keeping coral imo. 

Or a Kessil 160--the A80 isn't always powerful enough for a larger tank than 10 gallons or so, though it depends on what you're keeping as well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What settings do you have the asta 20 at?

I have been using this on my 2.5g and have gotten very little growth with this light and moved corals to my lagoon and have gotten growth in the last few weeks.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Clown79 said:

What settings do you have the asta 20 at?

I have been using this on my 2.5g and have gotten very little growth with this light and moved corals to my lagoon and have gotten growth in the last few weeks.

When I had the Asta 20, I used it above a 10 gallon tank, really close to the surface.  4-5 inches above the surface.  The power was full.  If you have the remote and dial the light to the bluest setting, and then one click up from that...that is where I had it.  

I didnt see much growth until I swapped it for the A80.  The colors were great, but my livestock didnt seem to thrive, they just survived without much change.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RedPhotog said:

When I had the Asta 20, I used it above a 10 gallon tank, really close to the surface.  4-5 inches above the surface.  The power was full.  If you have the remote and dial the light to the bluest setting, and then one click up from that...that is where I had it.  

I didnt see much growth until I swapped it for the A80.  The colors were great, but my livestock didnt seem to thrive, they just survived without much change.  

Ya, I pretty much have it max, I think. Lol.

My experience is the same. Things surviving but not beyond that.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently have this light over my 5.5G Cube. I had planned to upgrade to a Kessil A80 for this tank but it seems that this light can currently support SPS (Sunset Montipora, Psamaccora) I will be trying some other SPS corals in the next couple of weeks, may as well have some form of growth log in the thread since I have been complaining that I don't need to swap the lights yet!!

Starting to feel that all this light is missing is a sunrise, sunset setting

Channel 1: 80%

Channel 2: 10%

Channel 3: 80%

Channel 4: 80%

• 2 months later...

Hi, been using this light in the past on a mix of softies/LPS/SPS in a 7-8g.

My feedback corresponds to what was already  said :

- soft corals : worked  (meaning growth) on discosoma/sinularia/sarcophyton

- LPS : duncan was opened but didn't really grow

- SPS : just enough to maintain a small montipora (that thing doubled when I switched to HD prime) 

Transfered everyone in a new tank after that and decommissioned the light

Right now I m setting it up again on the 3.5g pico in wich I plan to slowly grow a green sinularia or a sarcophyton.

I consider it as a decent starting light for someone hesitating about going saltwater  (was my case). It's rather a small investment and can grow easy corals to get used to the hobby. 

Wouldn't advise for people already in the hobby, as stated before you will rapidly need something stronger to grow a variety of corals. 

• Like 1