Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lumini Asta20 LED Light Initial Impressions

VaporCountry

VaporCountry

I am starting a new nano frag tank and stumbled upon this light while browsing Amazon. I thought I would share my initial impressions and some information about this light.

First here are some specs for the light, I contacted the seller and they were very helpful providing all spec information and answering any questions I had.

Light Specs

16 3watt LEDs on a COB(Similar to Kessil) 

Infrared Remote

4 Dim-able Channels

Rust Proof Goose Neck Included 

180 and 60 degree Optics

LEDs ran up to 800mah with a max total output of 12-13.5watts

Wifi Capable(With the purchase of a separate Lumini Controller)

LED Specs

Channel 1; 4pcs Blue Semileds

Channel 2; 4pcs Royal Blue Semileds

Channel 3; 4pcs Cold White Bridgelux 

Channel 4; 1pc Red Epistar, 1pc Green Epistar, 1pc Ultra Violet Semileds, 1pc Royal Blue Semileds

Price Paid $56.99   Normal price was listed at $79.99

https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Asta-20-Multi-Color-Programmable/dp/B071LJC8HL/ref=sr_1_26?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1501688069&sr=1-26&keywords=led+reef+light

The light was shipped from the USA next day and was packaged well. The packaging looks professional and the construction seems to be solid. The instructions are basic but this is a very straight forward light to control. To turn the light ON/OFF use the toggle switch located on the power wire. Also when the toggle switch is placed in the on position you can also use the IR remote to turn the light ON/OFF.

To adjust the four different channels on the light you press the channel number and then +/- to raise or lower the intensity. The light can only be adjusted from the IR and does not have any knobs like a Kessil. Each channel has 10 different intensities. Also it has a full power button that will bring each channel up to the max power with one click. One thing I must note is you have to be pretty close to the power box to use the IR. This can be kinda annoying but to be honest I don't see myself adjusting the light very often once I get it set. Now I did talk you the manufacture and they have a wifi controller that will work with this light, I believe they said it was $150. With the controller you can control the light over wifi through an app with your cell phone.

This light comes installed with the 180 degree optic. I decided I wanted to use the 60 optic for a more focused spread. Switching the optics out was very simple, you just easily unscrew the bottom of the light remove one and replace it with the other. They say the light is suitable for a 8-18" tank. 

Thoughts

So far I am very impressed with this budget light. It seems really well built and I like the fact that I can fine tune each of the 4 channels to my liking. When deciding on a light I was a bit skeptical of the light as was half the price of a Kessil A80 and includes the gooseneck which the A80 does not. But after receiving it I am very pleased so far. I can not comment on PAR levels or coral growth as I do not and a meter and my tank is still cycling. I will be sure to update on coral growth and try to do some PAR levels if I can find a meter to barrow

61PpmVS-FyL._SL1000_.jpg

asta20灯珠.jpg

aquarium light-1.jpg

lens-1.jpg

71UpWICUqoL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 3
VaporCountry

Here is a few pics of the light spread with the 60 degree optics on my Innovative Marine 10 gallon(11.5 x 11.5" display)

First pic is 3" above water second is 5"

Also I would like to note I am not getting the disco ball effect with this light at all 

21216073_10209934768029055_158372837_o.jpg

21222593_10209934767869051_327426414_o.jpg

21 hours ago, travoky said:

I also just recently purchased this light and I have no complaints so far. Would be interested to see the PAR values though.

Yea since getting the light I threw a couple small frags in and everything seems to be responding well with channel one 30%, two 20%, three 20%, and four 10%. I just have a couple mushrooms in the bottom basket,  a hammer on the the left side of the blue frag rack. And a zoo frag on the bottom of the blue rack. Do you have corals under this light yet? If so any luck with SPS high in the tank? I saw they had these on sale for like $43 right now on amazon and was thinking about grabbing a pair for a future build

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the freshwater version for my refugium, really impressed with the build look and output. Now just to see the durability of the product, it's gonna be on for 24/7 lighting

IMG_2516.JPG

Awesome I could see the planted version making a good fuge light, keep us updated!

A little update from me

I got a bunch of corals one week ago, everything responded great right away to this light and seems to be growing well. I also got one of the True Lumen lunar lights and attached it to the bottom edge, working great so far.

21684260_10210049172289090_1600726612_o.jpg

21706344_10210049206609948_1268896187_o.jpg

VaporCountry
32 minutes ago, Angry-Monkey said:

Still liking this light? I just put in my order to replace my cheapo chinese ebay par38

Yea still trying to dial it in but everything is responding well and growing. Im just doing zoas, mushrooms, and LPS though. Right now I'm running 100% in both blue channels  and 50% on the colored channel. I have the whites completely off. Still using the 60 degree optics.

VaporCountry
5 hours ago, Angry-Monkey said:

Looks nice, thanks. 

What height do you have them now?

Anyone else using the lights? Can you post your settings?

Right now they are about 4 inches off the water line. Still messing with that and coral placement. 

Angry-Monkey
7 hours ago, VaporCountry said:

Right now they are about 4 inches off the water line. Still messing with that and coral placement. 

Don't know if you saw this review on amazon, couldn't find any other info: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RIBOP9RTYU3BA/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07236CXBQ

Light arrived tonight (1-day amazon prime shipping), so far so good.

interesting that they needed 3 for such a small bow tank. I wonder if it was more a PAR issue being able to reach the depth than anything else.

the only thing that concerns me about the 180 degree lens is that would lead to a fair bit of light leakage. think of the older street lamps. they spill a lot of light upwards, wasting a lot of energy as it's not focused where it should be; down. 

Angry-Monkey

Oops, link didn't work. I was referring to this one:

ByBobon August 31, 2017
I bought this to use on a 10g Innovative Marine AIO. PAR reading was 220 directly below the light 1" under the water. Drops off considerably on the sand bed. Sand bed had a reading of 102 directly under the light. Corners of the tank had a reading of 53.

Overall, color spectrum is eye pleasing, ability to control multiple channels is a nice feature on a sub $50 light. Duncan's and Zoanthids are fully open. The color blending is awesome on this light, there isn't any disco ball effect.

I'll be purchasing another one to bump up the output and see how some euphyllia do.

AM, just keep in mind that while the lights are budget, the controller they say is coming for them is not. $150 for the controller...$70 for the light. that puts it into Prime HD pricing. something to consider.

Angry-Monkey

Haha, yeah. The controller is not on the wish list. And I realise now that between my two budget lights I probably could have bought something nice for a little bit more...

VaporCountry
8 hours ago, Angry-Monkey said:

Oops, link didn't work. I was referring to this one:

ByBobon August 31, 2017
I bought this to use on a 10g Innovative Marine AIO. PAR reading was 220 directly below the light 1" under the water. Drops off considerably on the sand bed. Sand bed had a reading of 102 directly under the light. Corners of the tank had a reading of 53.

Overall, color spectrum is eye pleasing, ability to control multiple channels is a nice feature on a sub $50 light. Duncan's and Zoanthids are fully open. The color blending is awesome on this light, there isn't any disco ball effect.

I'll be purchasing another one to bump up the output and see how some euphyllia do.

Yea I have read that review but it leaves out key information like how high the light is off the water, intensity settings and what lens is used. I doubt this light would be any good for sps but in a small nano it is doing well with LPS and zoas. Right now its priced at $56 and comes with the goose neck. That is quite a bit of difference between an A80 or a prime that you still need to buy a mounting option for. Also this light has no where near the output of an AI prime, it is a lot closer to an A80 though. I think it would be ideal for small nanos or pico reefs. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, VaporCountry said:

Yea I have read that review but it leaves out key information like how high the light is off the water, intensity settings and what lens is used. I doubt this light would be any good for sps but in a small nano it is doing well with LPS and zoas. Right now its priced at $56 and comes with the goose neck. That is quite a bit of difference between an A80 or a prime that you still need to buy a mounting option for. Also this light has no where near the output of an AI prime, it is a lot closer to an A80 though. I think it would be ideal for small nanos or pico reefs. 

Not to mention, the A80 also does not come with a controller either.  I'm gonna keep an eye on your tanks and see how stuff does as I'm very interested in this light!

• Like 1
VaporCountry
47 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Not to mention, the A80 also does not come with a controller either.  I'm gonna keep an eye on your tanks and see how stuff does as I'm very interested in this light!

Yea I think for a larger tank I would go with a bigger kessil or maybe a NanoBox Duo. But for this 12x12 footprint it seems to be working well for the money.

• Like 1

wouldn't it be awesome if someone introduced a $100 semi-controllable light for pico reefs? 

by semi-controllable, I mean having the channels while providing sunrise/set.

I know there are similar options from the likes of Aquamaxx...but those are bars, not bulbs.  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Friendly said:

wouldn't it be awesome if someone introduced a $100 semi-controllable light for pico reefs? 

by semi-controllable, I mean having the channels while providing sunrise/set.

I know there are similar options from the likes of Aquamaxx...but those are bars, not bulbs.  :rolleyes: 

This one is almost there. I was hoping I'd be able to control the output with a smart dimmer outlet but unfortunately the remote is the only thing capable of adjusting the intensity. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 9:57 PM, Angry-Monkey said:

This one is almost there. I was hoping I'd be able to control the output with a smart dimmer outlet but unfortunately the remote is the only thing capable of adjusting the intensity. 

Yea I'm wondering how difficult it would be to hook up one of these cheap led wifi controllers. Im pretty sure you could program a sunrise/set and moonlights with it. Im not really sure how it has to be wired but I don't see why it wouldn't work. 

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Android-Channels-Controller-LD686/dp/B01AA6221S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1508723734&sr=8-5&keywords=wifi+led+controller