Cultivated Reef

1.5g office desktop pico tank from newbie

mbooot

Hello all

As a new comer and a newbie, i would like to introduce my simple pico tank with simple sump and filtration with spesipication:

Filtration :

- carbon active

- ceramic rings

- macro algae and live rock

Livestock :

- clown fish

- strip tang

- cleaner shrimp

- yellow goby

- plate anemone

- polyps

- mushrooms

Let me know your opinion and sugestion about my tank

Thank you

3.jpg

20170822_103920-2656x1494.jpg

20170822_105127-2656x1494.jpg

Nice looking tank, but three fish in a 1.5 is asking for trouble. Not sure how long you've had it set up though it might be okay for now. Once they start to grow though you will run into problems. Something to consider

I have the same worry of that trouble. its been runing about 3 weeks and everything is looking good. I do the water change 50% weekly as my consequence. If they start to grow i think i will give them to my friend. I plan to add 2 or 3 corals to my thank, is that okay?

Note : sory for my bad english, because i came from the country that not use english as the daily leanguage

Please rehome the tang , they grow large and they need room to swim. The fish isn't a person or dog and won't show normal emotions that it is stressed. I know it is small but even a small one needs more room than 1.5g can provide.

I usually try and not be the tang police but a 1.5g just makes me uneasy. 

Otherwise I think the tank is off to a good start and I like the rock scape. Adding corals would be okay as long as you add ones your light can support. 

• Like 2
GunslingerGirl
1 minute ago, reeferfoxx said:

Get rid of the fish. That's a little ridiculous. A green clown goby might be ok but this is an invert only sized tank.

+1

Not a good fish tank

If you want a cool critter to put in the tank stick to things like anemone shrimp (try sexy shrimp). NO they do not need an anemone. They love ricordeas and mushrooms as well. And those are cheaper (usually) and easier to keep.

If it was my tank, I would do three to five sexy shrimp, some pretty corals like ricordea and mushrooms.. maybe some zoanthids. I would stay away from anything that has a sting or punch in such a small tank, because when they get unhappy... they could easily fry the tank.

If you wanted to do a fish... only a SMALL goby. Neon... clown...

NOT any of the sandsifters or larger species.

Definitely not any species of fish that needs to swim.

If you want to keep the clown, I would recommend a 10 gallon. The tang needs to go live with your friend unless you want to have a large tank at home.

There is a sticky on here that has stocking options by tank size.

See that here:

• Like 1

Great looking tank but as others have said, there shouldn't be any fish in a tank that size (maybe a goby of some sort that essentially sits on a rock/sandbed).  While they may appear "fine," they certainly are not.  

Here's a guide that you should review for minimum tank size for each marine fish.  This is from LiveAquaria.com and shows the tempermant, whether they're reef safe, etc...

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f181/tank-sized-fish-list-fish-stock-guide-212071.html

Thanks alot guys, i really apriciate that. I'll call my friend to take the tang. I bought the tang because its really helpfull to clean the algae. I thougt the tang is doing okay because the tang is active to do its job with the algae on the rock and the glass. But after read your suggestion, i'll move it to my friends tank. 

I still plan to add some musrooms and polyps, i want to cover all the scape with that corals.  

Thanks alot

Tangs eat algae but they also poop a lot because they eat a lot and have a short digestive tract. So in the end it is just a endless cycle in such a small tank. They eat, they poop, the poop feeds the algae and you grow more algae and they eat it again... and so on.

Hermit crabs and snails should get the job done. If you can lower the # of fish, continue water changes, and clean. You should be able to get any algae under control.

When I set up a new tank I look at the featured aquariums around the same size to see how they are maintained, it gives a good idea of how to achieve a successful tank.

Here is a 2g with one fish and several small shrimp:

2g with 0 fish (used to have one) but has a few small shrimp:

These tanks are beautiful and successful but they also have a small bioload with basically 1 small fish and small shrimp/crabs. As you can see, when the coral grows in, there is not much room for fish to move so a small perching fish is best. I realize you want life in your tank, but there are many reef safe tiny shrimp and crabs that can add a lot of character. 

I would rehome the tang and the clownfish, like others have suggested.  They'll get much too big for this tank (really, they're too big already).  What kind of yellow goby is it?  If it's a yellow clown goby it would probably be ok in here.  If it's a yellow watchman goby, it also will be too large for the tank.  I might even get all the fish out and focus only on invertebrates, like your skunk cleaner shrimp.  Once you get the fish out of the tank, you can add corals, but I would not do it before then.  Get a couple of snails to clean the algae up. 

That said, the tank is beautiful!  Very nice work. :) And :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

• Like 2

I agree, a clownfish and tang is not a good choice for that size tank. A yellow or green clown goby would be pretty much the only fish I'd put in there. I have a yellow clown goby in my 2.7g tank and even that seems to be on the small size.

Can I suggest some Sexy Shrimp? They are always out in front and active. 

if you are concerned with algae, a few hermit crabs and snails will help combat that.

• Like 1