SaltCritters.com

3G Pico Bowl

Kitkat67

Cleaned out one of the filters. It was clogged with white-gray gunk. Looks like mineral mud you put on your face. It smelled like marine decay, lol. Glad that at least the filters are doing a good job.  I'll be rotating cleaning the sponges in the filters every couple of weeks

Mushroom folded up from last night. Turned the light on and he unfolded quickly. You can see his exposed foot20170920_111213.thumb.jpg.73c13a75fd1beb02a101ad17478f6d59.jpg

The palys have white blotches/spots on them...thoughts? Stressed from yesterday?20170920_122429.thumb.jpg.651224009c18cd58f4895e69d8fbf6a8.jpg

The bowl right after lights on this morning.20170920_111307.thumb.jpg.340c1eb5ab79b765995e432b2760f778.jpg

Retested water after yesterday's wc and live rock addition. Salinity was lower than ideal and ammonia jumped to 1.0ppm after two heavier feedings. I did a 25% change with dissolved reef crystals. Non of the corals are happy about anything since yesterday

2 hours ago, Kitkat67 said:

Retested water after yesterday's wc and live rock addition. Salinity was lower than ideal and ammonia jumped to 1.0ppm after two heavier feedings. I did a 25% change with dissolved reef crystals. Non of the corals are happy about anything since yesterday

That's pretty high ammonia. I'd do a larger water change, as much as 100%, as long as you match temp and salinity. Don't try to raise the salinity quickly, I hear corals do better with fast drops in salinity than fast increases. I'm not sure about your goni but it definitely doesn't look happy. My guess is that the ammonia is what's making everything mad.

I think I know why everyone's unhappy. We stopped using the ac last week that kept the room the bowl is in at a cozy 69-70 degrees, in which the bowl was 78-80 degrees. Now without ac, the bowl is running at 83-84 degrees. I switched heaters to see if it'll help, but since neither is adjustable, I'm worried. I need a good adjustable heater less than 6 inches long if anyone has suggestions!

2 hours ago, Kitkat67 said:

I think I know why everyone's unhappy. We stopped using the ac last week that kept the room the bowl is in at a cozy 69-70 degrees, in which the bowl was 78-80 degrees. Now without ac, the bowl is running at 83-84 degrees. I switched heaters to see if it'll help, but since neither is adjustable, I'm worried. I need a good adjustable heater less than 6 inches long if anyone has suggestions!

You could also try getting a temperature controller such as Finnex or Inkbird. I have a slender heater about six inches long from Aqua Forest Aquariums in my tank, it has an external thermostat to adjust it. I'd post the link but am on my phone at the moment, but go to their website and do a search for heaters, the 25w version would work fine.

• Thanks 1

Found two more spaghetti worms and one feather duster worm on the newer frags (may have accidentally killed one spaghetti worm). Fed pe mysis shrimp juice today. Temp is back down to 78 with the new thermometer. The lep looks like its bleaching in one section. Added a mangrove pod with roots I had in my yard

Room is now at a high of 78 during the day and this heater shuts off exactly at 78. It's working much better than the previous one.

The lep is bleaching, but I didn't really have high hopes for successfully keeping it.

Goniopora adjusting well without the macro algae as a buffer, it's opening all the way now in front of the outtake. 

The stray ricordea has found a spot barely in the light, (of course) out of sight. Ricordea #2 doing well in its glued spot. Red chili cactus also looking good. All the new zoas are open. 

Mangrove pod roots looking good.

Duncans still not opening up fully, still might be traumatized from temperature and salinity swings. Accepted food few days ago. 

Continuing to dose Kent nano A&B two-part system daily. A little bit of calcium here and there. Reefroids switched from every other day to smaller amounts every day. Pe mysis shrimp juice from the other day did not seem either negative or positive.

Sponge on filter growing well, lost sight of dragon macro...filter sucked it up, possibly? Weird smooth sponge-like blob colored up to a darker beige.

Blue shrooms looking good.

Palys still look weird, white blotches and tucked-up fringe. Possibley going through color morph before temp/salinity swings stressed it out?

I am pretty sure the pink cabbage is growing more and more every time I see it. It had these hard white spikes sticking out of it a few days ago.

20170926_190423.thumb.jpg.6a607671f69159b549f6be3ce2aba29f.jpg

• Like 2